• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What We Know About the Funimation-Crunchyroll Merger

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alielle3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:46 pm Reply with quote
I just... I just want blu ray releases with dubs for as many series as possible. I never want to have to stream. I never want to have to resort to subs. I just want to put in the disk and know it's the highest quality available that I can watch that show.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I long ago decided I was done with anime the day Crunchyroll made the move to take over everything and so I cancelled my Funimation subscription the day I got the email. And now Funimation keeps trying to contact me.

The only thing that makes sense is that anime streaming is killing the medium. It's so disposable these days that's the show is pointless the last day the last episode gets shown. I will always and will only think of CR as the place where anime goes to die.

Zalis116 wrote:

Hopefully, we should see most of the popular and desirable Funimation titles transferred to CR. I'd imagine most of the older/obscure Funi shows from the 2000s and early 2010s were on the way out anyway, both in terms of the licenses and their relevancy/appeal to modern anime viewers. Is anyone going to lament Save Me! Lollipop falling out of availability?

Yes, constantly. I still can't figure out how Air the TV went out of print, the first series I legally saw streaming on Netflix back when they were beta and the show was ADV. And with streaming, once it's gone, it's like it never existed.

Thanks, Sony. Idiots. CR only cares about Today, at least Funimation was concerned about Yesterday and Tomorrow as well and deep down we all know it.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:

It’s not true that they have no presence as even before the merger they held many home video licenses and over the years have entered into a few different partnerships to distribute them, from Shinkai DVDs with Bandai to cobranded discs with Funimation like Re:Zero.

I'll admit that Crunchyroll had some presence on shelves, but as you noted it was a fairly-limited number of distribution partnerships or co-branded releases. Meanwhile FUNi has been doing physical releases for something like 25 years and has essentially been THE brand in the US for at least the past decade. I have their logo on literally hundreds of disks that I own. And now Sony is apparently going to drop them in favor of a brand that means nothing to me other than "that streaming service I don't pay for." I'm genuinely annoyed about it.

alielle3 wrote:
I just... I just want blu ray releases with dubs for as many series as possible. I never want to have to stream. I never want to have to resort to subs. I just want to put in the disk and know it's the highest quality available that I can watch that show.

You and me both. I'll never have any interest in paying for what amounts to a temporary rental of a series. If I shell out money for anime, I want it to be for something I can own indefinitely.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Ok, but you never payed for a funi subscription either, so shouldn't it not matter what the logo on the spine is so long as you can still buy shows?
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:11 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Ok, but you never payed for a funi subscription either, so shouldn't it not matter what the logo on the spine is so long as you can still buy shows?

That's a "yes" for me, I'm not buying CR. It always pissed me off seeing their names on co-releases anyway like they had anything to do with the physical release.

This goes back to their "four week wait" on titles that were co-licensed between steaming services and beyond as I've been watching streaming anime legally longer than CR has been streaming anime legally.

Sony thought they bought a gold brand in anime but CR's the... bully or pusher?... we all have to deal with even when we don't deal directly with them.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:58 pm Reply with quote
So now we know that "eventually" actually meant "FUNimation is 100% dead after this May", as Right Stuf just put up the new listings for what would be FUNi's June slate, and they're all listed as Crunchyroll releases, right down to having only Crunchyroll's logo on the packaging.

One Piece is now a Crunchyroll release, the Bem movie is now a Crunchyroll release, the new Hetalia anime is now a Crunchyroll release, etc. I mean, come on, they knew that these listings would go up literally days after this interview, so the rep should have just been honest and up front & said that FUNimation's name would be gone from packaging after May.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:00 pm Reply with quote
BigOnAnime wrote:
Something I'm now wondering, with the FUNimation brand being phased out in favor of Crunchyroll, what's going to happen to the hundreds of in-print releases? When they get reprinted, are they going to replace the FUNimation logo with the Crunchyroll one, or are they going to have to re-release everything, possibly under a new UPC prefix? All FUNimation releases start with 704400.
Just got my answer, same UPC, but new SKU system. You have CR-[item] like on the releases FUNimation distributed for Crunchyroll, then FG-[item], and FN-[item] is still on One Piece, presumably for consistency.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:05 pm Reply with quote
At this point I have to say I am very disappointed. Even if it's the same people at Funi doing the same job, and all of the physical releases and dubs are being handled by that same staff as before, it just is not the same for me. Lumping everything under the CR brand just seems like a mistake and disrespectful of the impact Funimation has had on anime in the NA market. If one company had to be put under the name/umbrella of the other it should've been the other way around.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I don't remember if this had been addressed already but will Crunchyroll's free service continue after they merge with Funimation and will all the Funimation titles being added now that are currently premium only be eventually available to free users?
Kendall TV

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The CR spokesman claimed: "As the companies have come together, we're assessing translation editorial and production across both brands and in all languages and regions, and have established best practices for compensation that are aligned competitively. We don't discuss compensation specifics for our full-time staff or contractors."

A translator who worked on Funimation simulcast subtitles told ANN anonymously that they were informed two days before Christmas that they would no longer receive work from the company. The call came two months after their rates were raised while the translator was doing preproduction work on Winter 2022 simulcasts.

Thank you to the ANN editorial team for asking about the rates. It's no surprise that Crunchyroll and Funimation weren't eager to provide any answers on this front.

It's well known that Crunchyroll pay translators garbage rates. Several translators have spoken up about their experiences and the criticism is quite damning. Paying US$80 for one episode is criminal considering a 30-minute episode can take 5+ hours of work.

The cast and crew on Funimation's shows are also paid horrendously. Recently there's been a big push from voice actors to go all union with dubs. I think they absolutely deserve a healthcare plan, a pension, and way more than US$35 per hour... and Sony can certainly afford it.

matt78 wrote:
To bad it wasn’t possible for them to keep both services running. I think running one as PG13 service and one as an uncutt service would have worked well for them. As far as home video there is no reason to go back to edited releases unless they want to kill their business.

I don't think there's any reason to do this because Crunchyroll is already capable of setting up an age gate for streaming mature content. Having one service for censored content and another service for uncut content will create unwanted and unnecessary fractioning of the content. Not to mention, nobody will actually use the censored service, other than in situations where there is no alternative (e.g. for watching censored broadcast simulcasts).

Why do you think home video releases will be edited? Censored home video releases are exceptions, not the norm. I couldn't imagine that becoming the new way of doing things.

ButtonSmasher wrote:
Guys, remember that, contrary to what the branding may imply, the surviving company is Funimation. They are just rebranding Funimation Global Group to Crunchyroll LLC. Colin Decker (current General Manager of Funimation) and his management team will continue to oversee the "new" Crunchyroll.

Honestly, I won't expect any major changes to the way Funimation operates. Those answers are empty PR statements to cover their back.

Excellent reminder, thanks for bringing this up. I think that should address a lot of people's concerns, regardless of whether or not they like the Crunchyroll name.

Zalis116 wrote:
Clearly, someone's making deliberate decisions not to add home-video versions to CR, whether it's someone in the Funi/CR/Sony ecosystem, or pressure from the Japanese side looking to make home-video versions exclusive to physical home-media releases. Maybe there's a worrisome "reverse-importation" issue with Japanese fans using VPNs to access uncut anime that would otherwise be Blu-Ray-only in Japan?

B-but... $0₦¥ have gotta give viewers a reason to buy the Blu-rays! They invented Blu-rays after all! They can't just keep giving away the uncensored content by streaming them!!

But in all seriousness, that is really troubling. I worry that your reasoning might be spot on, especially the part about Japan calling the shots. It sounds exactly like something they would do and exactly the reasoning they would provide.

Thanks for compiling your findings so far on what's censored on Crunchyroll, by the way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5