• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: The Marines & FBI Will Be Exhibiting at Anime NYC

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
You can see them at places like county and state fairs, so why not at an anime convention?

Uh, nowhere did anyone say, "I'm completely OK with military recruitment of young people at county and state fairs. But, anime conventions, now that's where I draw the line." The focus on anime conventions is obviously because this is an anime website, not because of any implied sanction of recruiting activity elsewhere.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
If you have a negative view on this because of bad past experiences with recruiters, that's one thing, but otherwise this negativity about the military being present seems overblown.

No, I don't think it is personally. I don't like them present anywhere. I guess I would rather them be an anime con than preying on financially poor undergrad/highschool students.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:38 pm Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
No, I don't think it is personally. I don't like them present anywhere. I guess I would rather them be an anime con than preying on financially poor undergrad/highschool students.

So, based on this and other posts, the sentiment seems to be that military recruiters are evil?

Yeah, I'm not going to be seeing eye-to-eye with a lot of people posting in this thread, it seems.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:39 pm Reply with quote
They lie to children to get them to sign their lives away and go kill and die?????
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Personally I think we should send Pat Tillman to anime cons to talk about military recruitment. Think there might be a reason he can’t tho.

But no, lying to children to use them as disposable fodder is great. Especially when we make the conditions that make them feel forced to accept, while also continually devaluing the proposed rewards of doing so. How could anyone ever be against such a thing. We should all be so so grateful. https://youtu.be/ssBV595-poY?si=agxxoMKboS9gUBpn
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:31 am Reply with quote
Military recruitment would be seen as a noble and just thing on the surface if the causes for military action domestic and overseas were necessary to preserve the identity and values of your nation in the face of adversity. But, it doesn't sit well with me nor should it sit well with anyone in the military if the service requires unconditional support to your commander-in-chief if the commander-in-chief is A: Not right in the head or B: Never served in the military themselves. *glares at Donald Trump* It genuinely feels like a slap in the face to honorable service members whom their service is being taken advantage of just so a political party can have leverage on Capitol Hill and the Oval Office.

This is why I don't look at recruitment booths at conventions with the same level of reverance now as I have then and this recruitment drive at Anime NYC is no exception. Nobody should have to sign up and put their lives on the line for their nation if their nation has become too politically dysfunctional to make responsible decisions that won't lead to World War 3.
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:38 am Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:

No one is "preying" on undergrad or high school students. Plus, if they're THAT financially poor, they wouldn't be at a bloody convention in the first place. They're doing their jobs just like everyone else is. If you don't like that, tough luck. They're not going anywhere anytime soon, so you'll just have to suck it up because grumbling about them is like screaming into the wind.
onpufan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:50 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
I don't really understand where ya'll are coming from with this. I doubt the FBI cares about busting small-time IP violations at anime cons, and, if they did, it's hard to believe they'd decide the best way to do that is with some kind of not-so-undercover op via a recruiting booth.

I think that's probably because realistically it's the only issue the average person might have with this kind of news. Not everyone is super critical of the military or law enforcement agencies to the point they would give much thought to seeing a recruiter booth at a convention. So when they see this as being reported as news then that's probably the first thing they can think of of why this might be a big deal or a concern to people. I imagine the average con-goer walking down the hall will simply see this, shrug, and then move on without giving it much thought.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:22 pm Reply with quote
onpufan wrote:
NeverConvex wrote:
I don't really understand where ya'll are coming from with this. I doubt the FBI cares about busting small-time IP violations at anime cons, and, if they did, it's hard to believe they'd decide the best way to do that is with some kind of not-so-undercover op via a recruiting booth.

I think that's probably because realistically it's the only issue the average person might have with this kind of news. Not everyone is super critical of the military or law enforcement agencies to the point they would give much thought to seeing a recruiter booth at a convention. So when they see this as being reported as news then that's probably the first thing they can think of of why this might be a big deal or a concern to people. I imagine the average con-goer walking down the hall will simply see this, shrug, and then move on without giving it much thought.

The average person is much more aware of how military recruiters operate than whatever bidoof’s law nonsense has been spouted in this thread. [EDIT: Insulting comment removed. - Key]
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:24 pm Reply with quote
onpufan wrote:
NeverConvex wrote:

I assure you, the average person is much more likely to care about military recruiters' scummy tactics than whether the feds are here to take their lolicon or fanart.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:25 pm Reply with quote
ZiharkXVI wrote:
Right, people need to realize that vets are people just like any of us. They like anime. They like video games. They engage in pop culture. For all the talk of gatekeeping in various fandoms being a bad thing, the immediate negative reaction some have given is a bit disappointing.

I have nothing against individual veterans, and they are of course welcome to engage in whatever fandoms they please. It's the military as an institution, and it using the convention as a recruiting venue, that I have a problem with.
ranran-001 wrote:
Is it wrong? Joining the military after high school is not morally wrong in of itself.

There is some debate to be had over the morality of joining the military at all, but whatever one thinks about that, the bigger issue is how the military goes about convincing people to join.
Key wrote:
So, based on this and other posts, the sentiment seems to be that military recruiters are evil?

"Evil" is a rather loaded word and arguably an exaggeration... but they are at the very least dishonest and predatory in how they convince people to put their lives on the line, not to mention what they put their lives on the line for.
Deacon Blues wrote:
Plus, if they're THAT financially poor, they wouldn't be at a bloody convention in the first place.

Just because someone can afford the occasional fun activity, doesn't mean they have no financial hardships.
Deacon Blues wrote:
They're doing their jobs just like everyone else is. If you don't like that, tough luck. They're not going anywhere anytime soon, so you'll just have to suck it up because grumbling about them is like screaming into the wind.

"Just following orders."
"If you don't like how things are being done, shut up and put up with it, because nothing can ever be changed."
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:49 am Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:

Just because someone can afford the occasional fun activity, doesn't mean they have no financial hardships.

Doesn't mean they're going to be so desperate so "sign their life over" at a convention like the other individual was assuming.

Quote:
"Just following orders."
"If you don't like how things are being done, shut up and put up with it, because nothing can ever be changed."

Your point? You follow rules at your current employer, do you not? Do you agree with every change in rules to corporate policy that comes down the pipes or a way a new manager wants something done? [ Removed insulting wording and revised sentence -- keep things civil, everyone. -- mod ] Complaining about the fact that the FBI/Marines were present at a con isn't going to change anything. Attendees don't always get to dictate what you can and cannot see at a convention. They're paying for that space just like everyone else is, and they're entitled to use it as they see fit.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:04 am Reply with quote
We could, I suppose, seriously limit where and when the military does its recruitment. Of course we would also have to go back to the alternative of the draft as well. I wonder if they could make it more fair this time around. Universal service might be an option also.

Like Key, I find it hard to believe that all military recruiters are bad. Painting them all with the same brush appropriate to a few is a form of prejudice. To the extent that there are abuses, that could be addressed by better training and oversite. Unfortunately if that was done, no one here would believe it anyway, leaving us where we are now.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:43 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Like Key, I find it hard to believe that all military recruiters are bad. Painting them all with the same brush appropriate to a few is a form of prejudice. To the extent that there are abuses, that could be addressed by better training and oversite. Unfortunately if that was done, no one here would believe it anyway, leaving us where we are now.

Speaking from experience, I can assure you that not all military recruiters are bad. And a awful lot of them are caught between a rock and hard place - trying to meet their quotas, *and* trying to do the best by their respective service, *and* trying to do right by the potential recruit. They do fail at the latter, but the reasons are far more complex than "they're evil".

And that's setting aside that the recruiter has absolutely no control over what happens after the contract is signed. Yet they almost always shoulder the blame.

A less discussed factor, one utterly invisible to non service members... is that an awful lot of people are utterly unprepared for the reality of being away from home and being in the military. (And even if you think you are prepared, it's still tough as hell.) And an awful lot of those folks seem to blame their recruiter.

And as a more general comment...

- Folks not displeased with their recruiter don't bitch about their recruiter, and vanish from the anecdata. (They also vanish from videos created specifically to give the impression that everyone hates their recruiter.) When you only hear one side of the story, you get a very lopsided impression that doesn't necessarily represent reality.

- Dislike of your recruiter is deeply ingrained in military culture. Surface appearances from outside the culture can be misleading.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully there will be some tanya, strike witches, Girls und Panzer and Full Metal Alchemist stuff set up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6