• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why do a lot of Gundam fans hate SEED Destiny?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:45 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Any credible sources on this, or is it yet another piece of Tomino fanboy heresay? Given how many outlandish claims there are about Tomino among English-speaking anime fans, and given how much of it has been proven fictional, I'd like a cite on this.

You go to the Japanese Wikipedia site on Mr. Tomino (since the English Wiki gets revenge-edited everytime crazed fanboys don't like alternating opinions).

Nagisa wrote:
SEED and every title preceding it. Dude, I don't think you're getting it. They released Mobile Suit Gundam over here within a year after Wing finished and it bombed. 08th bombed. 0080 bombed. 0083, Char's Counterattack, G, they all bombed. And THEN SEED came along. SEED isn't a unique international failure, nor did it set any sort of precedent that ruined Gundam releases after it. It was just one more victim of BAD MARKETING, which ruined the entire Gundam franchise post-Wing and was the fault of Bandai, not Sunrise.

Sunrise is merely the animation studio. Bandai is the one that does all the marketing and merchandise for the shows they produce and dictates what sort of direction its various properties should take. If you want to complain about an entity squeezing money out of Gundam, try pointing your rage at the correct target and stowing that obnoxious "$unrise" crap. It's not clever.

Hmmm... Let me read you correctly:

"Everything Gundam that made it into the US after Wing BOMBED. And then Seed and Destiny BOMBED because of BAD MARKETING. So let's blame the marketers for ruining the franchise in the US."

With all due respect; may I direct you away from the people who are doing their jobs and toward the people who are NOT doing their jobs?

Why do I continue to mention Mitsuo Fukuda and Chiaki Morosawa?

Because Morosawa is in charge of the series composition. She's suppose to be responsible for holding the story together; making sure characters develop like they suppose to. NOT so fangirls can have wet dreams over Akira Ishida. NOT so drooling hunchbacks can (simultaniously) spit on Kenichi Suzumura and have wet dreams of Lacus Clone. And NOT so 4chan can refer to Kira Yamato as Jesus Christ.

Mitsuo Fukuda is the director of Seed and Destiny. He tossed out buzzwords like "Palestinian Conflict" and "the CE being the UC of the new milennium." Instead he had allowed his wife to come in late with shoddy scripts. He also allowed more re-edits and clip-shows than Mr. Tomino would allow on his good days.

And to clear this up once and for all:

Why did I put the dollar sign where the "S" is suppose to be?

BECAUSE $UNRI$E COULD NOT RELEASE A SHOW WITH COHERENT PLOT SINCE PERIOD

It has nothing to do with being clever. Why complain about money when I spend some of it on adult anime? New York had two planes shoved down its collective throat. Evil or Very Mad So yes. The Japanese need to try harder.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
You go to the Japanese Wikipedia site on Mr. Tomino (since the English Wiki gets revenge-edited everytime crazed fanboys don't like alternating opinions).

Wikipedia in any language isn't credible. Try again.

Tyrenol wrote:

It has nothing to do with being clever. Why complain about money when I spend some of it on adult anime? New York had two planes shoved down its collective throat. Evil or Very Mad So yes. The Japanese need to try harder.

Your logic makes no sense. You accuse Sunrise of being greedy pigs (in case you don't know, that's what putting dollar signs in someone's name represents) because they employ bad staff? Not because you accuse them of being greedy and mass producing shows to make a quick buck, which is what Bandai uses them for?

That honestly makes no sense. If you're accusing Sunrise of having idiots on staff to produce their shows (which, with regard to Gundam I can generally agree with), then there are better ways to do it than calling them by a childish name that has a completely different meaning.

Also, your 9/11 bit completely makes no sense. Clarify?

EDIT: By the way, you know Bandai is a Japanese company as well as an American one, right? They effectively own Sunrise over in Japan, and dictate every move they make. Your response suggested that you didn't already know that, so I figured I'd point it out just in case.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
Nagisa wrote:
Any credible sources on this, or is it yet another piece of Tomino fanboy heresay? Given how many outlandish claims there are about Tomino among English-speaking anime fans, and given how much of it has been proven fictional, I'd like a cite on this.

Why should we consider one Wikipedia more reliable than the other? Neither are particularilly reliable sources.

EDIT: Nagisa beat me to it.

Last edited by ikillchicken on Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Westlo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol watch Ryvuis and Plant ES, maybe that will stop your moronic anti Sunrise rants.

Quote:

That quote is as dumb as dog shit, but going by your wiki comments it suits you just fine.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Okay, fine.

Here's something else to chew on then:

Everyone's recalling products and sending them back to China because of all that lead poisoning. What if I told you that the Japanese anime industry is capable of the same thing China was doing?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
Everyone's recalling products and sending them back to China because of all that lead poisoning. What if I told you that the Japanese anime industry is capable of the same thing China was doing?

Who cares? What does this honestly have to do with anything? This thread has gone way off-topic, and I think it's time we got back to the point: Gundam SEED Destiny and why it sucks so bad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Bunchuu of Chouka

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:45 am Reply with quote
I've been a fan of Gundam for many years now. I've always been a bit of a U.C. fanboy, however I decided to give Seed/Destiny a shot. Personally, I didn't care for it, but I have made peace with the fact that a lot of other people actually did enjoy it.
I had a few problems with it, the biggest being the fact that it was essentially a modern clone of the original Mobile Suit Gundam. I've argued with many people about this, and often times, people will defend it by saying that they are two very different shows. Well, I never said that they were exactly alike. However, they share numerous uncanny similarities, and I felt like it was unoriginal . One could argue that these 'similarities' are present in every branch of the Gundam franchise, but I feel like the Seed/Destiny universe went the extra mile in incorporating more of them than was neccessary.
Overall, I didn't like anything in the Seed universe- especially Destiny. Like it or not, it's still a part of the Gundam universe, though.
kefestos

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Because is recycle gundam seed... (And gundam seed its a good recycle) Stellar, the same scene of cagalli and asuran... Again 3 guys with gundams (Gaia and friends)... The 100 fashback scenes of the family of lunamarias´s boyfriend...
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:03 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:

What fight? I don't recall Tomino ever going on any campaigns to "save poor, poor Gundam" from Sunrise. He winged Victory back in '93 because Sunrise was desperate to avoid bankruptcy and bugged him to, he did Turn-A because he felt like revisiting Gundam for (what was supposed be) his last go at it, and he did the Zeta movies to celebrate Gundam's 25th anniversary. That's pretty much it.

What about the unified calendar theory that Turn A presents? I've always seen it as Tomino not liking where Sunrise/Bandai went with the franchise after Victory and having his ultimate say in what was originally his conception.

[quote=Westlo]It's all good as long as you realize that, some Tomino fans are completely fucken hopeless though.[/quote]

I try and retain some semblance of balance, whether I like or don't like a particular member of staff. There are few people which I sincerely cannot stand (Hirai is one of them), but I'm sure if given enough time, I can probably even say some good things about Carl Macek.
1naruto1fan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:54 am Reply with quote
seed and seed destiny are probably the best gundam series to come out 1 so there is no reason for all you posers to hate it.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:04 pm Reply with quote
1naruto1fan wrote:
seed and seed destiny are probably the best gundam series to come out 1 so there is no reason for all you posers to hate it.

Do you mind illustrating your point in a more civil and intelligent manner? The horrible grammar and personal attack on people who disagree with you are highly uncalled for.
Bunchuu of Chouka

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:54 pm Reply with quote
1naruto1fan wrote:

Nagisa is right- this is a poor response, and I honestly hope that this is a joke. Not only is it completely untrue, but the claim is completely unsupported. Try again, sport.

If future projects in the Gundam universe continue to degenerate into weak fare like Seed/Destiny, then I fear for the franchise as a whole. I'm not trying to say that the U.C. is the only thing that should be expanded upon (although, that'd be great! Very Happy ), however I think that future productions need to have a bit of originality, as to uphold the standard of quality that dedicated fans have come to expect.
Westlo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:47 am Reply with quote
I really don't want U.C touched upon again especially since Tomino is now in his "happy" frame of mind. Turn A Gundam was the perfect conclusion for Tomino and if he ever did touch Gundam again I would like to see the Turn A Space (or whatever it was called) project.

For the future of the franchise I would like to see respected directors having a shot at creating their own AU. After Seiji Mizushima's Gundam 00 it would be great to see Goro Taniguchi given a fresh series. Imo he's been the best director Sunrise have had in the last decade. Series he has made for Sunrise like Infinite Ryvuis, Scryed, PlantES and Code Geass are among their best and most popular shows since 1999. TBH I'm amazed he hasn't been involved in a gundam yet considering his track record.
anthonycottle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:59 pm Reply with quote
because people wanted to see Kira and Athren not Shinn and also it almost has nothing to do with the SEED but i say go for Gundam Wing because it is so much beter
Comartemis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, anthony, for that remarkably coherent statement. Rolling Eyes

Whatever, I liked SEED and Destiny (Shinn can kiss my a**, though), and until I saw TTGL, Destiny was my all-time favorite mecha series. Maybe that's just 'cause I never saw any of the others besides bits and pieces of Wing, but in my less-than-humble opinion, SEED beats out what I've seen of Wing, easily.

You may now commence with berating my taste, gentlemen.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9