• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Garbage - Dubbed Songs FROM HELL!!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Quote:
Most of the new arrangements were pleasant, though clearly a little amateur sounding (such as on Magic Knights Rayearth, Key the Metal Idol and later Ranma ½ OAVs).
Really? I always found the song in Key The Metal Idol to be a pretty fair mimicking of the styles of the originals.
So did I -- despite my mixed feelings about the KtMI OVA itself, I enjoyed those songs in English. Ironically, it was thanks to Viz not subtitling the songs (in the first half anyway) that I discovered "Hey, these songs are in English too, and they're pretty good!"
Proman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Blasphemy! Those dubbed songs from "Ranma 1/2" were awesome!Sure they were a bit cheesy but I enjoyed them immensely. I still smile when I remember them.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:14 pm Reply with quote
chrisb wrote:
I don't see why more Japanese songs are dubebd when they come over, in Mexico practically every anime has dubbed songs. The Spanish versions of most anime songs are actually some of my favorite versions and I prefer them over a few of the original Japanese. For example, the Cardcaptor Sakura 3rd OP 'Platinum' in Spanish is one I prefer to the original (which is saying a lot since I love Maaya Sakamoto's version too.)

FYI, that version is never used in the Latin American Spanish dub of CCS, in fact, during all the series, they used "Catch You, Catch Me" instead" as OP and "Groovy" as ED. The Spanish version of that song was sung by a Chilean singer and voice actress named Jessica Toledo and she normally sing that song in con's.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:20 pm Reply with quote
1stAgent wrote:

Thanks to whoever mentioned that one Tenchi opening. I really liked that one, and I still don't know if that was actually Sonia or not.

The English version of the Tenchi Universe OP is sung by Sonia, so they used that, which isn't a bad thing, but I'm surprised that you guys didn't know that, since Pioneer's dub credits both Japanese and English singers for the series.

And personally, I did buy the original English album. I thought their songs were excellent, and I liked the fact that the original English Actresses for Mihoshi and Sasami sung their own character songs.

Which brings me to this. I'm totally surprised that they had a stunt singer for Sherry Lynn, because I've heard her in Tenchi (as Sasami/Kiyone) and she has sung songs for the OST. I wonder why they couldn't just use her instead of K.T. for the singing role....

And...ugh, that song, I need to see the original version. I find it's funny that it's reggae, and the video just...doesn't seem to match with the song at all.

To be honest, I have to differ with the whole Japanese are always better than English.

Has ANYONE listened to "Oh Angel" from Fatal Fury? I have to say, the English versionwas just....Oh, a million times better than the original. >__>; Actually, the first time I listened to it, I couldn't stand it. It seems a little better than I remember, though.

I enjoyed Kiki's Delivery Service, the songs were well done too.

I like the English version of freckles, but...I don't understand why everyone has the complete notion that bad music = bad dubbing.

They could've hired stunt singers, I've seen them do it before, but hey, some of the anime featured in the article was really old.

Oh, I didn't think that the Ranma song was bad at all. It sounded like a karaoke party to me. I've never seen the series, but I say they did a lot better than the other videos shown. >.>;
videomaster21XX

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:40 pm Reply with quote
YES! Someone else mentioned "Oh Angel" from the Fatal Fury Movie!

I remember years ago when I first heard that song, I tracked it down on the web because I HAD to have it! I love that song, and I think the english version is simply amazing.

I agree with the articule on at least one of those songs. The Yuna one was just horrible, and while female Ranma defently couldn't sing. Anime hyper I didn't really 'hate' that song. I rather enjoyed it.

I -HAVE- to find that Psyco Driver song! Anime hyper My god it's just so silly that it's awsome! I have to drive my friends insane with it!

(Of course it'll most likely be IMPOSSIBLE to find. So is the english version of Kon'ya Hurricane which I actually want believe it or not.)

I have heard many dubbed anime songs that I've enjoyed. Though for a few I'm not sure if there WAS an orginal Japanese song.

Such as "We will Win" and "Look up! The Sky is Falling" From Robotech. Sung by Lancer however. Not Minmay.

I love Lancer's voice, and as a result. I love those songs.

My brother and I are also very fond of Rem's song on the Trigun dub.

Of course, finding it in english is impossible. Anime hyper

Also anyone hear Vic's (forgot his last name. Forgive me!) cover of Brothers from Full Metal Alchemist? REALLY well done. (I only wish Al's VA had sung in the song too instead of having Al's lines cut out. Yeah it probably would have sounded weird, but I still want to hear it.)

This is another 'shot in the dark song' But anyone watch the fourth Season of Digimon dubbed? There is a dubbed version of "With Broken Wings" sung in an episode that if I could find a full length version, or even a version without dialoge. I'd pay top money for it!

I like many more dub songs, but then again I'm just not bothered.

I love Sandy Fox's version of the opening song for Rayearth 2. So much that I'm pissed a full length version doesn't exist.

I could get into a big disscussion about how I like the Sailor Moon DiC dub music too. But being everytime I do I've had my intelligence questioned and then myself flamed. I think I'll pass. (That and it'd probably derail the thread.) (Not saying anyone here would do that, it's just been my past experiances...)

All that being said I have one final thing to say in this post:

When I saw the 'Slayers Next' dub song that's been mentioned a few times with the "Now in Japanese!" Line, I nearly wet myself too. Razz

I distinctly remember yelling at my TV: "Only Slayers! Only Slayers could get away with that!" Anime smile
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry, I have to add the English version of the Macross Plus movie ending as well... @___@ so pretty.

Fatal Fury was one of the few anime that I remember back then...*sighs.* Damn, nostalgia. xD
1stAgent

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:02 am Reply with quote
videomaster21XX wrote:
This is another 'shot in the dark song' But anyone watch the fourth Season of Digimon dubbed? There is a dubbed version of "With Broken Wings" sung in an episode that if I could find a full length version, or even a version without dialoge. I'd pay top money for it!

All that being said I have one final thing to say in this post:

When I saw the 'Slayers Next' dub song that's been mentioned a few times with the "Now in Japanese!" Line, I nearly wet myself too. Razz

I distinctly remember yelling at my TV: "Only Slayers! Only Slayers could get away with that!" Anime smile

Was that really a dub of "With Broken Wings?" Because I don't think Digimon has rights to the original Japanese music (if they did, they should have used it more often; I have a version of FIRE! to sell them.). I'm guessing it was an approximation, kinda like what they did with Rika's song in the second Tamers movie (which I loved, even after writing its lyrics for a fandub). Naturally, "With Broken Wings" might be the only Digimon image song I don't have.

And as for Tenchi, I thought it was Sonia, but with all those English dubs in there (which I think range from awesome to atrocious), I couldn't be sure. On that note, how about some love for "Pioneer?"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:03 am Reply with quote
videomaster21xx wrote:
I could get into a big disscussion about how I like the Sailor Moon DiC dub music too. But being everytime I do I've had my intelligence questioned and then myself flamed. I think I'll pass. (That and it'd probably derail the thread.) (Not saying anyone here would do that, it's just been my past experiances...)

Hey, you're not alone. I also love the Sailor Moon DiC dub music. The music is one reason why I can't hate the dub despite edits and all. My favorite had to be Rainy Days. Smile

By the way, I think this has to be the first time I've ever seen any anime review site even mention Psycho Diver considering how obscure it is. I don't know whether it being obscure is a result of it sucking so bad or perhaps it was just another show that slipped under the radar for some people. Confused
GTO Neko

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:13 am Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
I'm sorry, I have to add the English version of the Macross Plus movie ending as well... @___@ so pretty.

Fatal Fury was one of the few anime that I remember back then...*sighs.* Damn, nostalgia. xD

HOLY CRAP!!!! I forgot about Fatal Fury's Oh Angel.

That was definitely one of the actual best ones.
videomaster21XX

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Hey, you're not alone. I also love the Sailor Moon DiC dub music. The music is one reason why I can't hate the dub despite edits and all. My favorite had to be Rainy Days.

If I ever meet you in real life, let me shake your hand! I actually can't STAND the japanese music for Sailor Moon. (Except Sailor Stars oddly enough) I so prefer the DiC music, which is why I wish I could get Sailor Moon uncut but with the DiC dub voices and music. But that's going off topic.

Quote:
Was that really a dub of "With Broken Wings?" Because I don't think Digimon has rights to the original Japanese music

Well that's what I found when I looked for the song once. Looking up the lyrics it was titled "Broken Wings"

Now it's being listed as "Darkness in my Heart"

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do this, but here is a link to the song in english:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZAcwyBEcDU
1stAgent

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:23 am Reply with quote
videomaster21XX wrote:
Quote:
Was that really a dub of "With Broken Wings?" Because I don't think Digimon has rights to the original Japanese music

Well that's what I found when I looked for the song once. Looking up the lyrics it was titled "Broken Wings"

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do this, but here is a link to the song in english:

...and it turns out I do have Oreta Tsubasa De on my hard drive. Yay for being a helpless geek for Digimon.

Yeah, that's an approximation. The sound is very similar (at least before the Japanese version goes all metal), but the melodies are different. But it's a nice way to get the same feel for the scene.

Still surprised that that's Crispin Freeman as Koichi...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:25 am Reply with quote
videomaster21XX wrote:
Quote:
Hey, you're not alone. I also love the Sailor Moon DiC dub music. The music is one reason why I can't hate the dub despite edits and all. My favorite had to be Rainy Days.

If I ever meet you in real life, let me shake your hand! I actually can't STAND the japanese music for Sailor Moon. (Except Sailor Stars oddly enough) I so prefer the DiC music, which is why I wish I could get Sailor Moon uncut but with the DiC dub voices and music. But that's going off topic.

Quote:

o_o wow, that song was done really well.

xD okay, I admit, I'm a sucker, I loved all the Digimon songs from the US version. Well, I couldn't tolerate the last 2 seasons, but I loved season 1 and 2 that I bought the OST. Anime hyper

Does anyone remember Mimi's karaoke song(1st season), when Tai and the others sang? That was hilarious.

I also remember the song that Matt and the others had...I think he had his own band...
Cicatriz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:59 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
videomaster21xx wrote:

Hey, you're not alone. I also love the Sailor Moon DiC dub music. The music is one reason why I can't hate the dub despite edits and all. My favorite had to be Rainy Days. Smile

I love that song~ And "My Only Love". The first Sailor Moon DiC CD is great. Too bad mine has a huge crack in it. D: Lunarock . . . was not so great. All the songs were so random, it didn't even make sense.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:04 am Reply with quote
I think the last album, Full Moon, was a waste of time.

I would've liked it a lot better if they added more instrumental tracks, and less of the other tracks. I did like the Sailor Moon remix, but other than that, they didn't need to repeat any of the tracks from the first 2 cds.

I know my hope for an Instrumental album (for Dic Music) falls on deaf ears.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:28 am Reply with quote
Wow, those are...pretty bad O_O
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8