• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Producer: Miyazaki's Newest Is Not For Everyone to Relax & Watch

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:47 pm Reply with quote
In defense of Japan, it's the country's tough immigration laws that allow it to enjoy one of the lowest crime rates in the developed world. The problem may be so bad that elementary schools are closing due to low enrollment but, being in Shibuya(esp. on a Saturday evening) will make you question the Japanese government, The CIA, and every contemporary Japanese demographer. I guess that's to be expected, though; when you have a country with a population of 127,720,000 stuffed into an area the size of New Mexico.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
tempest wrote:

As a result, Japan's population is aging rapidly, and the mortality rate is now increasing (as people get older). Japan's population is just starting what most experts expect to be a free-fall that will last at least a generation.

Exacerbated by Japan's disdain for immigration.

And foreigners in general.

Well, Japan doesn't mind you visiting and spending your tourist money, like Chinese shoppers, so long as you're not staying.

504NOSON2 wrote:
In defense of Japan, it's the country's tough immigration laws that allow it to enjoy one of the lowest crime rates in the developed world.

Who are you? Shintaro Ishihara?

504NOSON2 wrote:
I guess that's to be expected, though; when you have a country with a population of 127,720,000 stuffed into an area the size of New Mexico.

Area in square miles:

California: ~ 164k
Montana: ~ 147k
Japan: ~ 145k
N. Mexico: ~ 122k
Anymouse

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:48 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
504NOSON2 wrote:
In defense of Japan, it's the country's tough immigration laws that allow it to enjoy one of the lowest crime rates in the developed world.

It is a good point. Everything has it's disadvantages, including immigration.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:18 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Sure is a lot of jaded people in this thread. Miyazaki can be a bit of a crank, but it's hardly a reason to start expecting some kind of overly judgemental tract of a film. Excuse a guy for liking the environment clean and protected.

Maybe instead of wanting to "relax" all the time, we should think a little bit more.

I don't follow. If Miyazaki is a crank, it's probably reasonable to expect some pessimism on his part. Either way, it's a Miyazaki film and we're going to see it...

On the bright side, it couldn't be worse than Ponyo. Wink

Anymouse wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
504NOSON2 wrote:

It is a good point. Everything has it's disadvantages, including immigration.

Yeah, but that's like saying Vitamic C has its disadvantages to someone with scurvy. Japan needn't concern itself with the remote possibility of gall stones when its bleeding from its mucous membranes.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:

No, I'm considerably younger, and I'm not Japanese. However, the most homogeneous nations, in the First World, have the lowest crime rates and the highest levels of income/quality of life equality. Compare Japan, South Korea, and Sweden to, ohhhh, I don't know, The United States... Just saying.

So Japan has a bit more similarity to Montana, in terms of area size; whoopty effing doo! I just accepted New Mexico because Peter Payne, owner of J-List/Peach Princess/G-Collections, had wrote that for years on his company website and personal blog. Like right here http://www.peterpayne.net/2009/07/politeness-in-japan-humility-and.html
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:05 am Reply with quote
[no need to be rude -t]
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:25 am Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
Quote:

No, I'm considerably younger, and I'm not Japanese. However, the most homogeneous nations, in the First World, have the lowest crime rates and the highest levels of income/quality of life equality.

Historically, Japan's crime rate by foreigners isn't really higher than that of local Japanese:

Japan's crime rate is one of the world's lowest at 1,776 reported crimes per 100,000 people in 2005, according to the latest government statistics. The number of crimes among Japan's 2 million foreign residents in 2005 was 2,380 per 100,000.

Moreover, one third (that’s about 33%) of all crimes committed by foreigners are in fact visa infractions (staying beyond the time limit allowed by a visa) — a non-violent crime which is by definition impossible for a Japanese person to commit.

Japan's overall crime rate in 2003 was 2,185 per 100,000 and 2,120 among foreigners. Excluding visa offences, the rate was 1,570 per 100,000 foreigners.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:27 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
504NOSON2 wrote:

A broken clock is right once(or was the saying supposed to be twice?) a day.

In this case, Ishihara does have a bit of a point...he's just not very delicate about stating it.

Increased crimes have always been one of the eventual side effects of immigration, this isn't an exclusively japanese thing.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
504NOSON2 wrote:

A broken clock is right once(or was the saying supposed to be twice?) a day.

In this case, Ishihara does have a bit of a point...he's just not very delicate about stating it.

Increased crimes have always been one of the eventual side effects of immigration, this isn't an exclusively japanese thing.

Of course, it's increasing because the population is increasing, but in Japan the crime rate is not increasing but rather been decreasing.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:47 pm Reply with quote
That has nothing to do with immigration...

The best solution to that problem will probably be...give incentives to get married. Glamorize marriage and couples in the media. etc.

Maybe Miyazaki's new film is about how much a single life sucks. Laughing
Anymouse

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:
The best solution to that problem will probably be...give incentives to get married. Glamorize marriage and couples in the media. etc.
I am not sure that will have much effect. There have been pro marriage and pro childbirth policies for some time, and it still has not led to a rise in birthrate. It will most likely be a long term change in work and social arrangements which will bring things around.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:

I agree with Anymouse (a rarity) that I do not thing this would be the best. You can have something say all it wants about getting married and having kids are great, but not everyone wants that and for some people you just cannot change that.

IMO I think marriage is overrated. I mean you can have a great lasting and loving relationship and not need to be married. I mean if I love someone why do I need a piece of paper to tell me that?

Last edited by asimpson2006 on Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Anymouse

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:14 pm Reply with quote
I agree that marriage is not useful simply as a declaration of love. But it is really the only good way to have children.

I think we can all agree that we are hoping for the best from this film.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Anymouse wrote:
But it is really the only good way to have children.

I do not completely agree with that one. I still think that two people that are not married can have kids and still be a good family.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:58 pm Reply with quote
I believe that care is needed in associating immigration with crime. The question of whether that's true or not is pretty worthless and potentially nasty without asking why it might be true.

My own best guess off the cuff is that when immigration creates a distinct group large enough to visible as more than an occasional novelty a nasty instinct is triggered that leads to those in the established, dominant group to exclude the new group by generally treating them callously, depriving them of the enjoyment of social services and limiting their opportunities. The excluded group then feels no investment in or commitment to the society that is treating it with contempt, which removes an important restraint on behavior. Why, after all, obey laws, conform to social orders or cooperate with systems that reject you? This could be particularly interesting and unpleasant in the case of Japan, which probably owes is peculiarly low crime rates to very strong social mechanisms for enforcing order, particularly the importance of shame. (This paper seems to be about that, but every version that I've found has some error that prevents my copy of Acrobat reader from opening it)

Then again, I just happened upon this paper while trying to find a reference for a claim I remembered about diversity reducing support for welfare systems because people are less willing to allow their income to be redistributed to the benefit of people who don't look and act the same as they do. I'll concede that I haven't read more than the abstract, having just found it five minutes ago, but that's enough to suggest that the popular wisdom, which is usually immensely unwise anyway, about the tie between immigration and crime is dubious. It might itself be a byproduct of biases in the popular reporting of crime from exaggerated, or at least disproportionate, relative frequency and severity of reports. For a rough, admittedly quite glib analogy, think of the difference in how the Cartoon Network Bureau of Standards & Practices tends to treat anime contra how it treats the network's own productions.

asimpson2006 wrote:
IMO I think marriage is overrated. I mean you can have a great lasting and loving relationship and not need to be married. I mean if I love someone why do I need a piece of paper to tell me that?

For one thing, civil marriage has certain effects on legal status. I happen to be in favor of replacing that with a flexible system of contracts that could simulate the present legal considerations of marriage or create a sort of 'bespoke' marriage fit to the needs and wishes of the parties.

For another, some people probably appreciate the symbolic value of marriage. It's why we give out awards, medals and titles of distinction. The symbolic recognition can be very satisfying. It isn't precisely rational, at least not at the surface, but most people don't consider love to be entirely rational either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6