• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hollywood Reporter: Live-Action Akira Film's Production Shut Down

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
configspace wrote:

Japanese mangaka or writers don't have to do anything nor should they try to cater to Hollywood in any special way. Having them rely on Hollywood to grow is a BAD economic sign.

So instead of catering to Hollywood (i.e mainstream) they should instead cater to Japanese otaku?

That's not even a question. Yes Japanese manga-ka should focus and rely on their primary audience as a means to support and grow their work. Relying on Hollywood adaptions 20+ years after the fact would be a bad call.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:03 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Oh no, George Lucas.

He created Jar Jar Binks. I think that deserves no further explanation.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:08 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
A successful manga based movie will also lead to more anime movies, creating further benefit and funding more anime & manga.

If internet streaming can not lead to an increase in sales of DVDs, merchandise, and manga, there's no way a movie is going to do it, especially when the movie's stripped of anything relating it to anime and manga.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:13 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
configspace wrote:

Japanese mangaka or writers don't have to do anything nor should they try to cater to Hollywood in any special way. Having them rely on Hollywood to grow is a BAD economic sign.

So instead of catering to Hollywood (i.e mainstream) they should instead cater to Japanese otaku?

That's not even a question. Yes Japanese manga-ka should focus and rely on their primary audience as a means to support and grow their work. Relying on Hollywood adaptions 20+ years after the fact would be a bad call.

and you wonder why America's entertainment industries are so huge compared to Japan.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I've never wondered that.
If I did wonder that I would take things like population, economy, and entertainment history into account when attempting to explain the difference between Hollywood and the Japanese film industry. I don't even know how I would approach a comparison between Hollywood and a manga-ka's best interest.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:27 pm Reply with quote
@Charred Knight
The mangaka and writers should just do want they want. Hollywood then decides what it wants and looks for it.

Stuff A, B, C, D, E is created by various people. Maybe Hollywood wants B now. Maybe later it's interested in E. Why is it bad that A, C, D go unadapted? Maybe the mangaka/writers on A, C, D are content with their success. Or maybe D fails. So? Something else, X comes along and replaces it.

You mentioned the comparative sizes of the (live) entertainment industry. But then that's also the complete inverse compared to the comics (manga) industry.

Like I mentioned:
Quote:
But really, the whole idea about worrying about growth is unfounded because there's a plethora--I mean just TONS and TONS of material to choose from for adaptations that keeps on growing, much more that also lends itself to lower budgets (less risk) and easier adaptations.

It's bad economics, bad for the manga industry, bad for creativity, bad for everyone if mangaka and writers have to depend on Hollywood to create something, in the same way it would be just as bad if signing an anime adaptation deal became a requisite for creating manga or light novels.

NIS Games on this very issue:
http://www.1up.com/news/nippon-ichi-software-present-future
Quote:

US and European sales are going to remain key for NIS going forward, too. "The overseas market is key," Niikawa commented. "It's not something we can turn our backs to. However, I think it's a bad idea to create products targeted for the West. Even if Japanese people try their best to make a game that feels Western, there's no way they'd outclass actual Westerners doing that. I could probably count on one hand the number of Japanese people who'd even have a chance. I know we can't, so our only choice is to make titles that hardcore Japanese fans go for, then bring them out overseas as a purely made-in-Japan product. Disgaea is a success in the West, so I think it's best to go with a natural flow instead of trying to force ourselves in some unnatural direction."

Why would they do, say, a Skyrim or MW3 wannabe to just "grow" when people turn to NIS looking for stuff that's not Skyrim or MW3 in the first place?
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
I've never wondered that.
If I did wonder that I would take things like population, economy, and entertainment history into account when attempting to explain the difference between Hollywood and the Japanese film industry. I don't even know how I would approach a comparison between Hollywood and a manga-ka's best interest.

I am not just talking about Hollywood, I am talking about in video games as well. Japan used to dominate the market but America is now the dominate market with Japan fading.

Am I saying that all mangaka's need to make hollywood blockbusters type movies? No, all I am saying is that anime is in a rut now trying to all get noticed by the exact same people.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Am I saying that all mangaka's need to make hollywood blockbusters type movies? No, all I am saying is that anime is in a rut now trying to all get noticed by the exact same people.

It doesn't look like a rut to me. There are money making mainstream giants, smaller more specialized niche shows, and everything in between being made every year.

Quote:
I am not just talking about Hollywood, I am talking about in video games as well. Japan used to dominate the market but America is now the dominate market with Japan fading.

When was Japan the dominate market for gaming?
Statistically speaking Japan as always(I welcome anyone to point out the one time Japan had a bigger market share of a system) been the smallest market. Of course that's just speaking in terms of hardware. For software Japan is working fine on it's own with both games that sell fine in Japan that we'd never see in America and games that sell well as exports.
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:41 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Statistically speaking Japan as always(I welcome anyone to point out the one time Japan had a bigger market share of a system) been the smallest market. Of course that's just speaking in terms of hardware. For software Japan is working fine on it's own with both games that sell fine in Japan that we'd never see in America and games that sell well as exports.

I think I might be misunderstanding what you mean here, or have the wrong context... From NES to SNES to Sega to Playstation to Dreamcast, Japan used to be pretty much the only purveyor of consoles and the predominant developer of games. That's like two decades starting from the early 80's to the late 90's that Japan reigned king. America only recently broke in with Microsoft's Xbox in the early 2000's, and American studios have been mushrooming since.

Are you talking about some other kind of gaming, or mean something else by "dominant market"?
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Uh. The only American console that's around these days is the Xbox 360 (which is more or less dead in Japan these days). The PS3, Wii, 3DS/DS and PSP/Vita are all Japanese hardware. One console out of 3 isn't really a "dominate force" if you ask me. Of course comparing straight numbers would be a bit off since Japan has roughly 1/3rd the population.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Lightning Leo wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:

I think I might be misunderstanding what you mean here, or have the wrong context... From NES to SNES to Sega to Playstation to Dreamcast, Japan used to be pretty much the only purveyor of consoles and the predominant developer of games. That's like two decades starting from the early 80's to the late 90's that Japan reigned king. America only recently broke in with Microsoft's Xbox in the early 2000's, and American studios have been mushrooming since.

Are you talking about some other kind of gaming, or mean something else by "dominant market"?

I was referring to number of console owners which can be extended to mean the number of people that are able to buy console games.

American studios may be breaking into consoles gaming now but mos American studios were already well established entities from PC gaming. I see more a shift from PC to console and an emphasis on 3rd party games cross-platforming than a mushrooming of American studios simply because of the Xbox. Xbox feels less like an advent in American history and more like the return of Atari.
Lenks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:54 pm Reply with quote
For people moaning about the video game market, I'll just leave this link here:

http://www.1up.com/news/hideo-kojima-japanese-obsession-overseas
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:58 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
If things remain in status quo, the industry would not get any better. Ya guys wanna know why Japan still intends to join the Trans-Pacific Strategic Economic Partnership (TPP) despite protestations from many in the anime/manga/doujin/cosplay industry? Because Japan has been in a status quo for 2 decades now - their "Lost Decade" has now become 2 decades and going on 3. If they don't do anything, they will continue to not grow while everyone else around them catches up (like South Korea is doing) or passes them by (like China already did). They can't afford to do the same old, same old.

No, the TPP does absolutely nothing for them that is not possible now.

It puts them in a marketplace without China in it - the same reason the U.S. has been pushing the TPP. The requirements to get into TPP is higher than it is for the WTO - requirements that China will not meet anytime soon. These TPP countries don't think China is playing fair, and that's why they're creating a new marketplace for themselves.

configspace wrote:

Anyways, the entire "lost decade" is a larger economic matter outside of the anime market itself. In terms of anime, manga, pop culture, it is still Japan's domain and they still retain soft-power none of the other countries approach.

The fact that Japan is willing to sacrifice a bit of their anime/manga/pop culture domain to get into TPP shows how desperate Japan is to escape the status quo.

configspace wrote:

Quote:
Yep, and the average non-anime fan would not have wanted to read the Akira manga in the first place anyways, so a lack of successful movie would not have affected that at all.

And yet this was cited as one reason beneficial to the anime/manga biz. So why worry if it's not going to affect it one way or another?

Personally, I don't think so for everyone. Many people might not check out the original, but there will be some who are potentially interested. After all you just mentioned:
Quote:
Yes, the movie successes of Harry Potter, et al. have been credited to bringing back kids to reading. Maybe not all of them would try out other books, but some of them definitely would.

I don't think we're really disagreeing here, configspace. Smile

configspace wrote:

So like Lightning Leo mentioned with his experience, a bad adaptation can kill what potential interest there is.

It also kills further interest in adaptations for Hollywood.

Which a lot of people wouldn't feel bad about.
So then, success or not, it's a win-win, right?

configspace wrote:

But really, the whole idea about worrying about growth is unfounded because there's a plethora--I mean just TONS and TONS of material to choose from for adaptations that keeps on growing, much more that also lends itself to lower budgets (less risk) and easier adaptations. A lot obscure yes, but again, if you're marketing to an audience that supposedly doesn't care, then it shouldn't matter anyways.

That's what I've been saying; it doesn't matter.

configspace wrote:

Quote:
We don't know for sure if those Japanese names would've survived into the movie. Everything was very preliminary. It hasn't even gotten all the way to the dreaded marketing department yet - y'know, the type of people who changes rice balls into donuts.

Well, there's been no evidence that they were planning on changing the names of the characters nor the title. The casting calls have all kept the original names and descriptions so far.

I hope they do though, because that is certainly the biggest stumbling block IMO. You'll note that adaptations of manga to foreign settings make corresponding character changes, like in Asian dramas, which again, are the most successful kinds of adaptations.

Yeah, I hope the same. I've watched those doramas too. Laughing

Banden wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Yes, the movie successes of Harry Potter, et al. have been credited to bringing back kids to reading. Maybe not all of them would try out other books, but some of them definitely would. And since the movies became successes, there becomes a high number of initial interested parties - thus even if just a fraction of that high number continue reading other books, it would still yield quite a significant number.

And as for American comics, even the lack of success of Watchmen and Scott Pilgrim still drove their books to the top of the charts. Particularly Watchmen, whose expensive $20 softcover and $40 hardcover books, were #1 in all graphic novels (including manga) for months and months after the movie - not bad for a 2-1/2-decade-old franchise.

I understand that completely, which is exactly why I cited the Transformers example you quoted when you replied just now, but that isn't the argument Tempest and Surrender Artist are making here. People in this thread, including yourself, are tossing this implication around that the success of these Hollywood film adventures translate into hope for the anime & manga industry at a broad macro level. My point is, based on the performance of the anime adaptations that have already been done, and the nature of the Hollywood beast in general, I don't see any indication of truth in that implication?

I'm not saying it's a certainty, just a possibility. After all, who would've thunked the kind of boom we had in the early 2000s sparked from the successes of a few TV anime properties? Any success just gives us possibilities that otherwise wouldn't be available in the first place.

Banden wrote:

If the big screen adaptation of Astro Boy, Dragonball and Speed Racer helped boost sales for the respective anime & manga publishers and put a few extra dollars in their pocket, that's great, I'm genuinely happy for them. But boosting sales for the sake of boosting sales, as an end unto itself, obviously isn't a primary concern of mine as a consumer and fan. Meeting and/or exceeding sales targets is the job the producers/publishers make their money from their respective companies to be responsible for. They are primarily concerned with their own firm and propert(ies) finding success, whereas my interest is seeing the industry as a whole and the artform finding success; and in the long run, I'm just not seeing any correlation.

I hear ya. But Astro Boy, DB:E, and Speed Racer weren't really that successful, just OK at best. So that's not enough to actually help out the rest of the industry.

It's like Lord of the Rings - the fact that it became so successful that the industry finally realizes that the fantasy genre can be done well for everybody involved. So now, that opened up possibilities for works of fantasy that it didn't have before, such as Harry Potter becoming the most successful movie series ever, almost $8 billion gross.

TitanXL wrote:
The thing is the "boosting sales" thing is only temporary. Sure, Watchmen and Scott Pilgrim got a bump, but that bump is gone. Also, only those two got bumps, the Scott Pilgrim movie didn't suddenly make a bunch of comics sell more. Boosting the sales of one series isn't really going to help the industry as a whole.

Same with Harry Potter. You can't cite it as 'getting kids back to reading' when all they're reading is Harry Potter. It's not really the same thing.

That's why I said this:

Yes, the movie successes of Harry Potter, et al. have been credited to bringing back kids to reading. Maybe not all of them would try out other books, but some of them definitely would. And since the movies became successes, there becomes a high number of initial interested parties - thus even if just a fraction of that high number continue reading other books, it would still yield quite a significant number.

And as for American comics, even the lack of success of Watchmen and Scott Pilgrim still drove their books to the top of the charts.

Harry Potter was a big success, so it was able to help the buzz for its book industry (making reading "cool" again). Watchmen and Scott Pilgrim were not that successful, so that's not enough to help out their comic industry much, though it was enough to help out their own books.

TitanXL wrote:

Also that really only applies to short series.. Marvel and DC movies don't really give them a bump in sales at all. So it's not like it always happens.

I'm not saying it's a certainty, just opening up possibilities that wouldn't be available otherwise.

(And the Marvel and DC phenomenon is weird. Many people don't care for the comics yet are excited about the movies. Like it's too nerdy to read comics, but it's OK to watch movies. And it's global here, not just Americans. Weird.)

TitanXL wrote:

Quote:

Personally the thing I like about anime is they actually have animated movies. One Piece can have 10 animated movies, Naruto can have 8, Pocket Monsters can have 14 and so forth. All tied into the series itself no less, and not some 'remake' or 'reimagining' (Well, aside from that Alabasta and Drum Island movies, but still, you know what I mean)

Yeah, I enjoy that about anime too. They strike while the iron is hot. But not to belittle that, those movies are still mostly boosted-up TV arcs (like typical TV-connected movie, Japan or American or otherwise), not usually "epic" - save for few (particularly movies that end a franchise, like End of Evangelion supposedly). (By "epic," I just mean that if the Japan Film Institute made a list of Top 100 J-Films, they would be there, rosebud.)

TitanXL wrote:

I wouldn't trade animated movies for some live-action Hollywood stuff. I think that's the biggest strength of anime, the movies they do have actually have some effort put into them and tie into the series itself.

Though there are only a few Hollywood movies that tie into a TV series. The X-Files come to mind (though I think they should had ended the franchise with the movie, instead of continuing it) and Serenity - Firefly. Spongebob, The Simpsons.......... the Powerpuff Girls movie too, but CN took too long, and the iron wasn't hot anymore as the series ended.

Dakaran wrote:
I am not against the movies but against bad choices for casting the roles and scripts choices. The scenes have to be where it seems believable and related to the original work as much as possible. Look at LOTRO it did so well because they stuck to the books so the same goes for manga/anime adaptations.

Weeeeeeell, there are still differences........... but I won't get into that. The movie series was still successful despite them. Laughing

TitanXL wrote:
Uh. The only American console that's around these days is the Xbox 360 (which is more or less dead in Japan these days). The PS3, Wii, 3DS/DS and PSP/Vita are all Japanese hardware. One console out of 3 isn't really a "dominate force" if you ask me. Of course comparing straight numbers would be a bit off since Japan has roughly 1/3rd the population.

It's not really about consoles; it's about software. It's like Japan makes many of the hardware components that Hollywood studios use, but the Hollywood films are what dominates the global movie industry. Western games now dominate the market, with Japan declining to just 20% of the global market by 2009, not like a couple decades ago when the top-selling games were games that sold well in Japan. Such that even Xbox 360 game-makers don't even need the Japanese market anymore to become a global success. The J-market has become an afterthought for many global publishers (not saying it's irrelevant --it's still very much relevant-- just no longer as significant).

I think part of it is social reasons (nowadays, "gaming" as a hobby is more mainstream-accepted in the West than in Japan... why games are selling so many now - there are more potential buyers.) And part of it, ironically, the more powerful Sony and Nintendo makes their consoles, the less the budget-constrained Japanese game studios can take advantage of the increased power. It takes more money to develop these powerful games, and unless the J-studio sees enough return-of-investment augmented from the international marketplace, that's a budget that would not be invested to make the games. It's like the J-console-makers are making their platforms more for the Western developers to take advantage of.
bradc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:57 am Reply with quote
Mike Hazama wrote:
bradc wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
Why do some people always resort to such zealous purism when it comes to adaptations?

Tons of comic books and novels gets their own adaptation made and turn into a movie or saga. But for some reasons when it comes to Japan's Manga and Anime, it just doesn't work... Unless it present itself as an animated movie, anything by Hayao Miyazaki, or even the latest Full Metal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos. Unless Japan does it themselves, Rurouni Kenshin Live-Action seemingly speaking in volumes.

We all know what happened... Dragon Ball Evolution. (=_=#)

Manga and American comics are an entirely different format. You can do a Superman or Batman story in 2 hours just fine since the comics have no real overall plot and have been doing that stuff for over sixty years. Manga tends to be much more linear and story driven. No way you can tell Dragonball's story in 2 hours, but a Superman VS Lex Luthor one would fit. Plus superheroes are easy to do since they always take place in modern American cities. Dragonball was a fantasy world with lots of creatures and wacky stuff.

Manga, Manhwa, Manhua (translates to Comic Book, Graphic Novel). The formatting are different in terms of reading material, ratio of manga having more pages than less pages telling the story, whether it be one-shot or serialization. If you take the basic American Comic Books such as Batman: Dark Knight Saga it was an adaptation to the movie because it short enough to condense into one.

Dragon Ball was pretty much impossible to cram centuries and decades of history of serialization... into a two hour movie; the script writer, the producer and the director had to work with what was limited to them. Somehow this worked for Lord of the Rings with a three parts movie, which is the fundamentals literature science-fiction that it can never be touch again, yet it was fantasy world, and it had a lot wacky stuff and creatures.

Last edited by bradc on Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:16 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
tempest wrote:
A successful manga based movie will also lead to more anime movies, creating further benefit and funding more anime & manga.

If internet streaming can not lead to an increase in sales of DVDs, merchandise, and manga, there's no way a movie is going to do it, especially when the movie's stripped of anything relating it to anime and manga.

Streaming is pretty obscure- to use it you must know that it exist. Movie would actually have a bigger promotion and even in case of failure it could raise the awareness of primal source existence. If you go to IMDB even to give 1 and you see millions of topics "How could they ruin it" it raises curiosity. In my case lots of at best mediocre adaptation lead me to great works of fiction.

Did Dragon Ball or The Last Airbender hurt original material? Being in both fandoms I can say that they are mentioned just in need of something to make jokes about.

BTW I'm not a fan of SF and fantasy setting anime-live actions. That format can work and suit slice of life series (eg. Nana or Team Medical Dragon) but in case of production needing lots special effects it usually looks too poor to awake positive feelings.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8