• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yu-Gi-Oh! The Movie Premieres

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shorty22

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Miagi wrote:
Quote:
"I took one for the team this week ... If your kid is a Yu-Gi-Oh fan, then God help you."
-- Willie Waffle, WAFFLEMOVIES.COM

I so hope that ends up on the back of the DVD case.

Nah, they use ones with witty little references in them. I really like this one;
Quote:
"I sacrificed 90 minutes of my life points to sit through this and nothing I can summon is going to make up for that."
-- Cherryl Dawson and Leigh Ann Palone, THEMOVIECHICKS.COM
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:16 pm Reply with quote
D'oh! It only made $9 million. But it beat Pokemon 4ever and Princess Mononoke...It's probably because they didn't advertise it enough until the last few weeks.
Mou Kaoru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Jaann wrote:
On one hand, I think the reviews are hardly fair considering that this movie targets fans of the series and those fans will quite probably like it. Kids who have never heard of the show might start liking it too after seeing the movie. Keeping in mind the target audience, I felt the reviews were written for an older audience who, understandably, might think this movie is the bane of the devil.

I agree Jaann-san. Smile
I took my siblings to go watch the movie and they loved it; mostly my 7yr-old brother who is already a fan of the show and card game. While I had no interest to watch this movie because I knew it was going to be the typical shounen-fare with lame jokes and bad dubbing, I still enjoyed the movie since I'm somewhat of a fan already. To me, it was like watching an extended Yu-gi-oh episode...with lots of yelling and cool monsters. Oh and yelling.
This movie was made for an American audience in mind and it's quite obvious when you watch it. The bad reviews were expected given the movie's target audience is children and/or fans of the series. Anyone else will think it sucks and would probably have more fun spotting sexual references and making fun of Pegasus' fruitiness. Like why was he wearing pink bunny slippers??? Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop The story is all about dueling, of course, but the actual bad guy doesn't show up till the end... and even then it's a very short encounter. Afterall, NOONE can defeat Yugi's superpowerful awesome "heart of the cards" technique!! TEH GOD CAWRDS > ALL!! Twisted Evil
The animation wasn't impressive for a movie and the music was ok. All in all, great for children with ADD, bad for 4Kids haters. Smile I honestly liked it, but I'll probably never watch it again.

I sympathize with any parent for having to get dragged to watch this movie lol.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
wonder how it would look at my local IMAX theater. You know which one it is, right? It's the one that's somewhere between 2-3 stories high with a bazillion speakers and the projector's in the middle of the seating and whatnot.

(Franklin Institute/Titleman Omniverse Theater, Philadelphia PA)

You'll never know because the Franklin would never play it(violation of their charter). The only played Lion King because they managed to tie it in with something else.

Your local IMAX is the King of Prussia Stadium 16

They would never issue it in IMAX anyway. It's simply too low-budget to survive the uprezzing.

Quote:
D'oh! It only made $9 million. But it beat Pokemon 4ever and Princess Mononoke...It's probably because they didn't advertise it enough until the last few weeks.

Did you really think it would do more? Most theaters didn't show it past 7PM, and kiddee films never do the bajillions without major cross-appeal, of which Yu-Gi-Oh has none
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... that would mean that Brandon Gray's estimate would have been only about 60% correct, below his usual accuracy of 80%.

Still a disappointment, I guess that means that the Yu-Gi-Oh! fad has already peaked with kids.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Still a disappointment, I guess that means that the Yu-Gi-Oh! fad has already peaked with kids.

No, it means that there are only so many people/kids willing to see the movie. Most kiddee movies only make around $20-30 million if they're a huge success. Considering that the budget on the "movie" was likely well under $5 million, 4Kids is probably already in the black and looking forward to the sweet sweet video sales.
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Jaann wrote:
On one hand, I think the reviews are hardly fair considering that this movie targets fans of the series and those fans will quite probably like it.

Ebert has a few good rebuttals of that line of thinking, most recently in The Princess Diaries 2. His Scooby Doo review is even more incisive:
Quote:
What I can say, I think, is that a movie like this should in some sense be accessible to a non-fan like myself. I realize every TV cartoon show has a cadre of fans who grew up with it, have seen every episode many times and are alert to the nuances of the movie adaptation. But those people, however numerous they are, might perhaps find themselves going to a movie with people like myself--people who found, even at a very young age, that the world was filled with entertainment choices more stimulating than "Scooby-Doo." If these people can't walk into the movie cold and understand it and get something out of it, then the movie has failed except as an in-joke.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Uhh... while I know 4Kids and Warner weren't expecting this to pull in Shrek or Finding Nemo-like numbers (otherwise they wouldn't have released it in August), this is still nothing like the $31 million opening weekend Pokémon: The First Movie had five years ago.

And the studio only gets a certain percentage of the box office take. I believe the rule of thumb is that it needs to make three times the amount of money spent to be considered a success, and the advertising campaign, as low-key as it was compared to Shrek 2's, likely was over $10 million. For a film on 2411 screens, a $9 million opening weekend is disappointing.

And most successful kids movies make, at the very least, in the high eight digits, and the A-list animated films (the ones that get the saturation-level marketing campagins and the Happy Meals and such) are considered disappointments if they make less than about $150 million.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Amibite

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Ahh *Lays back on lawn chair* Game King was never a fad in Japan, why did 4-Kids think it would be one in America?

Next they'll try to market Hikaru no Go as the next fad.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Amibite wrote:
Ahh *Lays back on lawn chair* Game King was never a fad in Japan, why did 4-Kids think it would be one in America?

Um, what? How did you come across that idea?
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And the studio only gets a certain percentage of the box office take. I believe the rule of thumb is that it needs to make three times the amount of money spent to be considered a success, and the advertising campaign, as low-key as it was compared to Shrek 2's, likely was over $10 million. For a film on 2411 screens, a $9 million opening weekend is disappointing.

They get 90%+ of the first week take, and over the course of about 6 weeks it slowly goes down to a 50/50 split. You're also forgetting that even though it was on 2400+ screens, it still missed at least the last 2 shows of the day on 75%+ of them(probably closer to 95%), and that it has virtually 0 appeal for those over the age of 13.(sorry, even the hardcore otaku demographic is barely a blip on the radar on the national scale). The formula is actually twice what it cost, and YGO didn't have that big of a campaign at all. The movie probably cost 3-4 million, so it's already in the black. Of that $7-8 million 4Kids took in, Warner probably saw 10%

Face it. YGO is not exactly what one would call an intellectually stimulating film, it's there for a kid fanbase as some extra bucks before the far more profitable video release. 4Kids will make piles of money off it and everything will be right with the world. Happy?
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:23 am Reply with quote
Sword of Whedon wrote:

Face it. YGO is not exactly what one would call an intellectually stimulating film, it's there for a kid fanbase as some extra bucks before the far more profitable video release. 4Kids will make piles of money off it and everything will be right with the world. Happy?

No, now that blood money is gonna go and get Naruto.

*counts the number of fallen Naruto fans that read the comment*
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:57 am Reply with quote
Personally, I think after One Piece, it'll be a while before they get any new anime shows.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Heh my prediction came true it made 9 mil. Looks like nobody wanted to see that crap. Twisted Evil
R.G.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I finally watched and managed to enjoy it just fine.Maybe I'll watch it again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6