• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Fullmetal Alchemist TV Anime to Premiere in April

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zoe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:20 pm Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
Why revamp it? Why not just take the story from its TV series ending and incorporate the manga elements into it? It's not hard to do with some creativity, which BONES surely has.

Problems Bones would have to face:

(MAJOR manga spoilers)
spoiler[- The origin of homunculi

- The existance of Dante

- The existance of Father

- Hohenheim's origin

- The Homunculi being ENTIRELY different characters

- The truth about using alchemy to create humans

- Incorporating the countries outside of Amestris]

The only one possible without any major retcon is the last one. If you think the others are possible, I suggest re-reading the manga.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Fullmetal Alchemist Ultimate. Laughing

Hopefully, FUNi prelicenses it and places the subbed version on hulu and Joost.
zalbik

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:00 pm Reply with quote
The real question is can they capture that which made FMA so good? Picking up after so long can be a very bad thing. Hopefully it works out, assuming this is for real.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I hope fans aren't hoping for some long, 100+ episode series based strictly on the manga material, unless they're willing to accept a shoe string budget for it. Even Bones doesn't have deep enough pockets to produce too lengthy a series with the same budget as the original series.

I would hope they can recast some of the roles in the dub, should Funimation license it, but I doubt they would, given the strange popularity of that version.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Zoe wrote:

(MAJOR manga spoilers)

The only one possible without any major retcon is the last one. If you think the others are possible, I suggest re-reading the manga.

I haven't read the manga, but I was assuming that there is an arc beyond the Dante/homunculi one. If there isn't, I really don't see the need for a revamp with an alternate canon ending. It's a bit of a slap in the face to the original. Either it's a meaningless attempt to further benefit from the franchise, or an annoying homage to the "this is how it should have been because it was this way in the manga" mentality when the version we know and love is really good.

As I said before, I'm all for revamps that are necessary or wanted--Berserk could use one, and Claymore certainly isn't finished after the ending of season 1. And I think that most would agree that EoE is a much more understandable ending to Evangelion. But FMA? Rolling Eyes

If there ARE other story arcs, then what I mean is that it shouldn't be too hard to stick to BONES' explanation of things and take the actual plot from the manga. It's not like other rules in their world can't be expanded on/added details to as long as it doesn't conflict with BONES' original ideas. I mean hell, look how creative they were, they could always extract a skeletal plot from the manga and fill in the missing pieces.

All my whining is moot, however.
Zoe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:37 pm Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
I haven't read the manga, but I was assuming that there is an arc beyond the Dante/homunculi one.

Dante doesn't even exist in the manga, therefore making everything she's a part of completely different. That is the problem.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I don't think a second series is going to mess too much with the first. The first series has so many good things going for it, including spoiler[the character of Wrath being Curtis' child, the Tringhams, Alphonse becoming the philosopher's stone at the hand of Scar, Envy being Ed's brother, Ed having to kill Greed by recomposing Greed's body, and the movie, where Al is human the whole time.] People aren't going to forget that.

The manga universe is simply different. The cast is doubled, the concept of Alchemy is explored much further, and the characters of Rose and Winry really get their due. Not to mention that it's freakin epic! I think both will be remembered fondly.
bayoab

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:40 pm Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:

If there ARE other story arcs, then what I mean is that it shouldn't be too hard to stick to BONES' explanation of things and take the actual plot from the manga. It's not like other rules in their world can't be expanded on/added details to as long as it doesn't conflict with BONES' original ideas. I mean hell, look how creative they were, they could always extract a skeletal plot from the manga and fill in the missing pieces.

It would be impossible to stick to BONES's. It directly contradicts a number of manga story elements and these contradictions began as early as episode 18 or so of the original show. They would have to unkill a character the anime did its best to show as dead.

The only way for them to get any sort of continuity is having Lust or Envy wake up prior to episode 10 going "What the hell kind of dream was that. Those stupid Elric Brothers are giving me nightmares."

Edit: Note that, so far, there are no other arcs. There is only one gigantic story arc broken up into about five sub-arcs by location and who the side character being focused on is.
brightredglow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:06 am Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
I haven't read the manga, but I was assuming that there is an arc beyond the Dante/homunculi one. If there isn't, I really don't see the need for a revamp with an alternate canon ending. It's a bit of a slap in the face to the original. Either it's a meaningless attempt to further benefit from the franchise, or an annoying homage to the "this is how it should have been because it was this way in the manga" mentality when the version we know and love is really good.

As I said before, I'm all for revamps that are necessary or wanted--Berserk could use one, and Claymore certainly isn't finished after the ending of season 1. And I think that most would agree that EoE is a much more understandable ending to Evangelion. But FMA? Rolling Eyes

The anime is diverged quite a bit from the manga but that didn't stop the manga from being the originator of the story. BONES did its own version while Arakawa kept the manga going according to her version.

But in the end, FullMetal Alchemist is Arakawa's, not BONES, creation.

If (and it is still a big IF) the new version is more closely set to the manga storyline, then this new version is not an alternate ending. It is the canon ending that was planned all along.

It isn't a slap in the face to the "original" if this new series adheres to the manga because the manga is the original. The anime was the alternate canon to the manga.

As good as the BONES anime version was, I'd be thrilled if this new series were a reboot because there was a lot in the last half of the series that I didn't like and that was before I had begun to read the manga more faithfully.

Some people will always like the BONES version on the first run. Others might prefer this one. Still others might like both. Heck, the Batman fans seem to be fine with reboots of that universe and that franchise seems no more worse for wear.
anime_lord1989

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:03 am Reply with quote
just be happy people there is gonnna be a continues FMA....case closed.....
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:56 am Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
Zoe wrote:

(MAJOR manga spoilers)

Their is only one main arc in the entire manga, the defeat of the Homunculi and their leader. As mentioned it would be impossible to create a series that follows the manga exactly without rebooting the entire series.

For example the person who killed Winry's parents are different
MrVince

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:29 am Reply with quote
Many of the people who are discussing the differences between the manga and the anime are seeing it from a 2008 context. To truly understand the differences between the two you have to see it from a 2003-04 context: At the time the first episode aired, only a bit over a dozen chapters had been printed. That means less than a dozen chapters were printed when production started. This is the reasoning for a lot of the filler and non-canonical stuff that happened for most of the series.

It is my belief the manga is close to completion (I'm currently at chapter 89) as this arc has the "last battle" scent getting stronger. If the series is based on the manga, it would have to cover at least a hundred and some chapters before catching up. Also keep in mind these chapters are from a monthly magazine, meaning more content.

Last edited by MrVince on Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Westlo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:29 am Reply with quote
Be interesting too see some peoples opinions on the series in 6 months time who aren't too happy with this atm.
Prodigy_child

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:00 am Reply with quote
I'm kinda happy cause my favorite characters will be animated <3 Not only that, characters like Winry and Rose can get their dues as someone said. As characters, they are much more likable in the manga (those who hate Winry or Rose in the manga might like them if their manga verses). They are strong female characters in the manga (Rose after her Ed-Al encounter of course) which Arakawa always does well repeatedly in FMA...not so much in anime (and anime in general :/) I would go on, but then I get spoilerific.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:28 am Reply with quote
Hellsing remakes, Negima remakes, Hollywood remakes, etc.
What's the problem? Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8