• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Acquires Ghost in the Shell: Arise Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keleja

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Funimation doing a sub-only release? Just what the heck is going on here? Sure this is apparently an import but it's still a weird move from them and they certainly picked a strange title to experiment with considering how well known and liked the GiTS dubs are. Hopefully they'll do some kind of bilingual release later down the line but this is just plain strange...

Read the whole article. Defintely says that this is PRIOR to the normal English Localized HV release... which will probably just be a normal release without any extras. That also means NOT $41 USD. Just wait it out and you'll get the dubbed release later on. Granted it might be anywhere from 6 months to a year from now though.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:20 pm Reply with quote
That pricing will no doubt be obvious.

though what i really hope is that will this series get an AS broadcast just like SAC? It would be a tragedy if it didn't since it was highly popular during its run.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Galap

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:25 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Wow, I just asked for it and Funimation answered.

Okay... uh... gee, I sure wish somebody would license the 110 episode 1980s classic, Legend of the Galactic Heroes!

Now we play the waiting game!

I wouldn't want that as an import personally.

IMO there's no series in existence that's more in need of a dub than LOGH.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
IMO there's no series in existence that's more in need of a dub than LOGH.

There's no English dub studio good enough.

At least, not one currently working.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Galap

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Even a mediocre dub would be better to me than having to look at the bottom of the screen for 95% of the runtime. Seriously there's so much dialogue in that show, and it's so long and complex, that you literally spend more time paying attention to the subtitles than the visuals.

It's a truly amazing series, and one of the reasons I like it is because of how talky it is, but having that as text is an impedance for me.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:43 am Reply with quote
True, LoGH characters are wordy. But they talk pretty slowly.

Compare it with GitS: SAC. Now there's a show where its good dub is supremely helpful.

Anyway, Ocean produced a test dub for a couple of episodes of LoGH some time ago, but ehhh, it's iffy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6