• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2013-08-21

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:25 am Reply with quote
bj_waters wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
OK here guys, take the old, old......... old "Otaku-ness Purity Test"!
(It's so old, it's still hosted on Tripod, remember those?)

Holy crap, yes! I remember going through all of those fansites on Tripod and Geocities. And we'd find them all through Anipike (which is still up, BTW; in fact, you can still use their classic site design for some super nostalgia! Good luck finding any links that still work, though.)

One of my webpages still there.
So what score did ya get? Smile
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:23 am Reply with quote
I'm somewhere between the ages of newborn and dead, for anyone keeping track.

bj_waters wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Holy crap, yes! I remember going through all of those fansites on Tripod and Geocities. And we'd find them all through Anipike (which is still up, BTW; in fact, you can still use their classic site design for some super nostalgia! Good luck finding any links that still work, though.)

Hell yes. I love visiting classic Anipike every once in a while. Early internet fandom days - I was always on the Gundam Wing and Magic Knight Rayearth pages. I still occasionally go on to see whose pages are still up. The writer of one of my favorite GW fanfics, the Murder of Crows trilogy, still has her website up - My Writings on the Wall. Although it may have switched domains from what's currently linked on Anipike's page. I'm actually surprised with the number of sites I can still find up. Heero's Not Toast is still going, I believe.

I know I took that Otaku Purity Test a long time ago, but I couldn't tell ya what score I got.

But you know what I miss the most? Pocket Bishounen and Pocket Bishoujo. Does anyone else remember that? You collect the little graphic cards of bishounen and bishoujo from different series by answering a bunch of multiple choice questions correctly. It was quite popular. People normally posted the Bishounen and Bishoujo they captured on their webpages linked at Anipike.

Anyways, most characters only had 3-4 questions to answer. But the Pocket Bishoujo website had boss battles as well where you had to answer at least 10 questions. Fuu Hououji (Magic Knight Rayearth) was one of those bosses, and it always really pleased me that they used her and not Hikaru or Umi as the boss. My sister and I actually got into a few anime at the time because of these websites. We took it as a challenge to try and collect all of Bishoujo bosses, and so we did a lot of research online in order to get the questions right. Filia (another boss) became my sister's favorite character for a while, and we started watching Slayers Try because of that (yes, we watched out of order).

I wish those websites were still up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bj_waters

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:00 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
bj_waters wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

I think I scored a 60-something when I did it yesterday, so I don't think I did too bad. At lot of the questions were a bit before my time. I'm more of a Toonami kid (started with Robotech and Voltron!), so I missed out on all the Laser Discs and VHS fansubs. I didn't even think about owning anime until DVDs arrived (still have all ten of my Gundam Wing DVD Operations in their cases!). In fact, I think the first DVD I bought was the Endless Waltz Movie/OVA compilation with the shiny foil cover for $27. Still worth every penny!
DTJB

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap. The Turnpike still exists? Shocked
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I've never met 'That Guy', but I could imagine him. It was really strange when I went to Otakon and found out that what I'd heard about it skewing young and having a very even gender balance was true. I went in still half expecting a crowd of, well, 'That Guys'.

enurtsol wrote:

Oh holy Hell... that thing is hilarious. Some of these questions have been rendered hilarious by time:

Do you own any anime? (*stares across at barrister's cabinet* Hyup)

Does your personal anime collection put any local Blockbuster to shame? (I answered yes, but as no local Blockbuster exists, this could go either way on a technicality)

Does your personal anime collection contain over 100 tapes? (Well, but if you change the unit of account...)

And then all of the questions about VHS players...

I scored a 50/250 (20% Otaku corrupt, evidently), which makes me a part time otaku and 690 lbs of pure, unadulterated Totoro.

willag wrote:
I'm somewhere between the ages of newborn and dead, for anyone keeping track.

Pfft, we all know you're immortal.

I do remember AniPike... and webrings... and Tripod... and those sites that added stupid cursor trails. That era of the internet seems so far away now...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
eviltimes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:28 pm Reply with quote
57. As my arthritic hands attempt to enlighten you young...

Oh, WTF.
FMABleach

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:35 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
bj_waters wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

I ranked at: 651 lbs of pure, unadulterated Totoro.

My final score was 37 out of a possible 250, which makes me 14.80% Otaku Corrupt.

According to the site, I am best described as a part-time otaku. And yes I do have a real life. Razz

Not bad, right? Smile

I'm only 26. Sadly, I cannot say I'm as experienced as you guys in the anime world, seeing as I've only been an anime fan since roughly 2005 or 2006. Hopefully, I can say I'm as experienced as you guys when I am in my 40s or 50s because I am bound to still be an anime fan at that age. Razz
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Your final score is 80 out of a possible 250.
That makes you 32% Otaku Corrupt.

You are ranked at: 1320 lbs of pure, unadulterated Totoro.

You are best described as: A Full-time otaku in training (not yet willing to leave one's life behind)

Not all of the questions I've answered are entirely accurate. I've tried to update them so that they are more relevant for today. Like, I don't actually own over 100 tapes, but I do own over 100 DVDs/BDs. And I don't start my web surfing with AniPike, but I do start it with ANN 99% of the time. So I've got the gist covered.

And some questions are more relevant past tense. Like, I don't play cards anymore, but I did play Pokemon back in the day.

@SA - Shhh, I'm trying to keep that knowledge on the lowdown. The last thing I need are bounty hunters after my head looking for the truth to immortality.

-----

EDIT: Oh slap my face and call me a wombat. Pocket Bishounen and Pocket Bishoujo are back. The rest of my lifenight has been decided for me.

And, OMG, Fuu is still a Gym Leader. The tears, how they continue to fall.

Catch 'em, catch 'em, gotta catch 'em all.
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:27 pm Reply with quote
1269 lbs of pure unadulterated otaku, 63/250 pts, full-time otaku in training....LOL.

Oh, well. I remember TV when all you all could get was B&W, no color. The stations came on the air around 10am, signed off around midnight after playing the "Star Spangled Banner" amidst contemporary military footage of USAF F-86 Sabre jets flying in unison. Both times signing on and off 1950's television you saw a test ban and some verbiage about censorship approval. The word "pregnant" was first used for shock value on the program "Peyton Place" back in 1959 after it was approved, finally, by the TV censors. Yeah, good times....huh?

I remember those damn card files a person had to punch then run through a card reader to get certain computer commands to function. And woe be anyone that got 1 card out of order, sequence, mis-punched, or horror of all horrors, entirely spilled out of the box they were consecutively stored and filed in. Good times......not, do NOT miss. In spite of all the vitriol I can think of about some of the crappy software Microsoft has peddled over the years I still thank Gates & Company on high for taking the agony, continuous testing, guesswork off my shoulders writing paltry puny programs back in a different century.

30 being old....makes a cat laugh. Good one, Robin.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:34 pm Reply with quote
how much does Totoro weigh?
grooven

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:04 am Reply with quote
Oh god I so identify with that guy Anime hyper bootleg fansub VHS for the win! Bootleg wall scroll extra check.
midnighteve

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:36 am Reply with quote
Oh man, I'm nostalgia-ing hard on Anipike now guys Anime hyper I remember going there and visiting all the character shines that used to take forever to load on my 28.8k modem! (I'm 28btw) I also remember paying $30 a VHS (with 3 episodes) for Fushigi Yuugi dubbed back in 1997 and would have it on my wish list every birthday and Christmas. I think I finally collected them all by the time I graduated High School (2003) and then I had a job and could actually buy all those Kenshin DVDs on my own lol

And I actually really missed Suncoast when they finally shut down. I bought many a figure from that place.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I did grow up watching Transformers and Voltron and I knew of anime, but I just didn't think too much about it.

Transformers 1984-1987 isn't anime. It's an American cartoon. You must be talking about the non-canon spinoffs of G1, that are Japanese, like Victory and Headmasters(which suck), right? If you're American, how the HELL could you have access to those?
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:38 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
Transformers 1984-1987 isn't anime. It's an American cartoon.

Technically it's both, it's a joint project. That's why the only characters to appear in the show were ones that Takara had the rights to in Japan so they wouldn't be advertising toys for Bandai or whoever owned those characters at the time. Characters like Whirl, Roadbuster, and the deluxe Insecticons didn't appear in the show because Takara didn't own the rights. Skyfire got a major redesign over the Macross-based Jetfire figure.

Quote:
You must be talking about the non-canon spinoffs of G1, that are Japanese, like Victory and Headmasters(which suck), right?

They are canon in Japan and they aren't spinoffs, they're the following seasons. And besides, many of the characters have long since been introduced into the US in one way or another.

Emerje
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:55 pm Reply with quote

Funny how a lot of the things on the list seem like they would be worth -1 point. Buying manga just for the pictures? Owning bootleg anything? I threw my bootlegs in the garbage years ago.

Emerje
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7