• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Anti-Piracy Act from U.S. Congress Leaked

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:14 pm Reply with quote
So the unreleased bill about anti-piracy was pirated and leaked to the internet. Oh the irony, the EYERONNY! Laughing
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:18 pm Reply with quote
JDuks wrote:
Drafted. The bill was drafted. I don't think your drafts that NO ONE is voting on yet have to be made public.

Thank you for the correction. I had edited my post several times, but still failed to edit it completely. There was to be a "potential" in there. Embarassed

This still does not remove the knowledge the leak was from a congressional source, which is more troubling than any piracy issue to date.

I'm not sure how any citizen of the US can be comfortable with this knowledge.
egoist

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:19 pm Reply with quote
How long till we start receiving junk e-mail saying that piracy steal our jobs, take our food, and rape our wives?

Last edited by egoist on Thu May 12, 2011 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

JDuks wrote:

Jetto wrote:
If you want to watch unlicensed stuff that bad then move to Japan. Otherwise, stop QQing. It is not your God-given right to watch unlicensed anime.

It's easy to say if you don't watch anything unlicensed, or if you're the type of person who doesn't think about other people.

Quote:

[b] or if you're the type of person who doesn't think about other people.

I would argue that the people who think unfettered, unchecked mass piracy of global entertainment industries is a good thing are the ones who do not care about other people, namely the hundreds of thousands of people who rely on profit from those works to make their living.

Your ability to watch free cartoons is not something you get to claim as some inalienable right or the same thing as your right to life liberty happiness whatever.

effing ridiculous

oh speaking of which

PetrifiedJello wrote:

Those of us with a working knowledge of how our representative democracy operates aren't particularly concerned with this totally normal event

OH NO GUBMINT GONNA TAKE MY FREE CARTOONS

Last edited by Zac on Thu May 12, 2011 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
RyanSaotome

"It's easy to say if you don't watch anything unlicensed, or if you're the type of person who doesn't think about other people. "

Exactly. I'd happily pay monthly for something like Crunchy if it had all the shows airing. But on the flip side, I'm not going to prevent myself from watching classic shows like Madoka just because no American company licenses it or puts it up for legal stream. No real anime fan would.
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:36 pm Reply with quote
I think Zac sums it up well- at this point it's ridiculous to keep supporting pirates, and very naive to think governments aren't going to ignore it. Even if this legistlation takes some time to work it's way into law or undergoes another change, they're already using existing divisions and laws to take down sites with programs like Operations in Our Sites http://www.ice.gov/iprcenter/

RyanSaotome wrote:
"It's easy to say if you don't watch anything unlicensed, or if you're the type of person who doesn't think about other people. "

Exactly. I'd happily pay monthly for something like Crunchy if it had all the shows airing. But on the flip side, I'm not going to prevent myself from watching classic shows like Madoka just because no American company licenses it or puts it up for legal stream. No real anime fan would.

Something tells me they'd probably still want to steal stuff anyways, and just watch rips of those subs on another site. You can't have everything, and there has to be a way to make money to keep making anime in that formula somewhere.

btw- if anyone shouts "it's not stealing!"
http://www.fightonlinetheft.com/
If the US gov. is going to have a compaign agasint "online theft", I'm pretty sure we can stop that sort of argument now, take it out back, sell it to the factory, and make it into wonderous Pony Glue.
Shale

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:45 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
JDuks wrote:
Drafted. The bill was drafted. I don't think your drafts that NO ONE is voting on yet have to be made public.

Thank you for the correction. I had edited my post several times, but still failed to edit it completely. There was to be a "potential" in there. :oops:

This still does not remove the knowledge the leak was from a congressional source, which is more troubling than any piracy issue to date.

So do you expect every member of congress to issue a national press release every time they think about starting to write a bill, no matter how many months later they plan to actually introduce it?
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Those of us with a working knowledge of how our representative democracy operates aren't particularly concerned with this totally normal event

You missed the point: It's not supposed to be normal.

Quote:
OH NO GUBMINT GONNA TAKE MY FREE CARTOONS

Am I to assume you targeted this statement to me?

Shale wrote:
So do you expect every member of congress to issue a national press release every time they think about starting to write a bill, no matter how many months later they plan to actually introduce it?

Absolutely. It's called transparency and our government is accountable for it.

We, as citizens, have every right to know what our government is doing.

It scares me to think you don't believe we have this right.
Shale

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:58 pm Reply with quote
It scares me to think that you, an adult human being, are frightened by the idea of a bill that's "secret" because it hasn't actually been introduced yet. Hell, if it's not introduced it's not even a bill yet.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:40 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

We, as citizens, have every right to know what our government is doing.

It scares me to think you don't believe we have this right.
Doesn't the US still have C-SPAN on your cable then?
Deviant_scarlet

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

I'd like to see something be done to effectively shut down the monetization of piracy online. I realize internet culture doesn't recognize entertainment product as being exactly that - a commercial product created for profit, rather than an art-for-art's-sake-only endeavor that somehow "should" be enjoyed and consumed by all regardless of monetary ability to legally enjoy said product - but the people profiting off of pirated movie streaming/download websites are scumbags and *some* form of effective and efficient enforcement needs to be in place to shut this stuff down.

I agree with some points you've made. Licensed/legally streamed Anime and Manga properties should not be available in any other websites other than their own. Websites such as ZomgAnime and Mangafox need to take down licensed Anime/Manga properties and/or close their doors. Either way, they are profiting from intellectual property that is not their own.

Zac wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

The problem is that at the same time, they'll be shutting off people from watching new anime that airs in Japan. Some of it will be picked up by Crunchy, sure, but the majority of it will never be shown in legal ways, nor be licensed here, so pirating it is the only way we can ever see those types of shows. By cutting it off (hypothetically speaking), it would have no advantage to the anime industry in the west at all.

Are you under the impression that the US industry is still being 'helped' by fansubs? Or that you having limitless illegal access to everything that airs on Japanese TV, licensed or no, is somehow beneficial to anyone but you?

...not that i don't already know what the response to these questions are

Zac, I hate to break it to ya but Ryan makes some fine points. While Crunchyroll's model of simulcasting Anime straight from Japan is ideal, they still weren't able to acquire all the simulcasts for this and last year(Angel Beats! is a fine example of an anime they weren't able to acquire). Also, about 60% of their titles have some sort of region-protection or aren't accessible to any other country other than the USA and sometimes Canada. Let's not forget that the Anime industry does not revolve solely around our nation(America). There are regions like East Asia and countries such as France, Germany, Italy, Mexico, Australia, the UK, who also have a small but sizable fan-base who would like to support the market but is rarely, or unavailable for them.

Fan-subs of unlicensed Anime properties are especially crucial to creating a fan-base sizable enough for an Anime distributor to license that said property and market it. It would be foolish for a distributor to pick up an Animated series without properly introducing/exposing it their fans/core demographics. FUNimation, Bandai, Sentai Filmworks, etc. don't have the same access to the mass market as Walt Disney, GE, News Corp, or Warner Bros do.

That being said, fansubs of unlicensed titles should be looked as "free advertisement" rather than harm to the industry. Besides, unlicensed anime are neither legal or illegal; they fall in the grey zone. Also, how could unlicensed anime be illegal if the said product isn't available in its respective nation to begin with? You of all people Zac, should already know......How else would you have done your little critique/review of Puella Magi Madoka Magica if you hadn't downloaded the fansubs or RAW files to begin with? (And especially when the Anime series wasn't licensed, or legally streamed?)

PetrifiedJello wrote:
Five pages of commentary and the most important aspect of this bill is overlooked: The contents were leaked.

This means a democratic congress introduced a bill in secrecy.

This means a democratic congress motioned the bill in secrecy.

None of which is covered under an act of war.

Yet piracy is the issue?

Perhaps it is just me who hasn't seen a single news article written indicating businesses have shut down because of piracy.

Probably because they're buried between all those record-breaking sales news articles I keep seeing pop up everywhere.

*sighs* Its the same old Washington we've had for decades. Special interests of the RIAA, MPAA, Hollywood, the Chamber of Commerce, big business and the super wealthy take precedence over our human rights, labor, gays, small business, job creation, and constitution. *sadly nods*

Anyways, I hope the EFF and legal scholars challenge this questionable law. Hopefully, awareness towards laws like these will spread. =)
Also, thanks ANN and Zac for providing coverage of this article. (whether that was your intention or not) Wink
Relmstein1

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

I would argue that the people who think unfettered, unchecked mass piracy of global entertainment industries is a good thing are the ones who do not care about other people, namely the hundreds of thousands of people who rely on profit from those works to make their living.

That argument doesn't really make much sense when it's well known what most Japanese animators actually make. These people sign over their creative rights and most don't even get a percentage of the profits while the companies in charge of distribution keep the lion's share. This doesn't really make sense anymore with the internet making distribution so easy. The way fansub groups sprout like weeds makes it clear that the cost to distribute entertainment media is cheap and that maybe middlemen don't deserve so much of the overall profit.

Can attitudes towards piracy really change when the entertainment companies so obviously manipulate our copyright laws and screw over any content creator who doesn't have an AAA+ hit?

There are answers though. Amazon allows authors to sell their own ebooks and they get 70% of the sale price. It wouldn't be that hard for manga publisher to try out a similar business model. Maybe a better use of the entertainment industry's money would be to experiment with alternative business models rather then buying more lobbyists.
RoverTX

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 3:11 pm Reply with quote
A certain level of secrecy is needed for consensus building. Which is essential to a functioning democracy.

This idea that elected officials have to tell you everything they are doing, will do nothing but give us even more demagogic radical two-faced poll riding followers, not actually leaders.

As it has been said this is the normal process. It's out if you don't like it say so and contact your representatives, but don't act like people don't have the right to introduce a bill just because you don't like it.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Relmstein1 wrote:
Zac wrote:

That argument doesn't really make much sense when it's well known what most Japanese animators actually make. These people sign over their creative rights and most don't even get a percentage of the profits while the companies in charge of distribution keep the lion's share. This doesn't really make sense anymore with the internet making distribution so easy. The way fansub groups sprout like weeds makes it clear that the cost to distribute entertainment media is cheap and that maybe middlemen don't deserve so much of the overall profit.

Can attitudes towards piracy really change when the entertainment companies so obviously manipulate our copyright laws and screw over any content creator who doesn't have an AAA+ hit?

There are answers though. Amazon allows authors to sell their own ebooks and they get 70% of the sale price. It wouldn't be that hard for manga publisher to try out a similar business model. Maybe a better use of the entertainment industry's money would be to experiment with alternative business models rather then buying more lobbyists.
If the distributors can't make a decent profit from what they buy from manga and anime creators, they can not buy from them in the first place, so no-one gets to see the next big title just waiting to be discovered by the world. Yes it sucks that there is no such thing as royalties in Japanese licensing agreements, it's considered rude to even ask, but that's a cultural thing that might be on the verge of changing, but being staunch traditionalists that may take a long time. However creators still make a living, albeit not an easy one, or one with great rewards, but a living none the less, and piracy harms that directly. It's a vicious circle.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Rather than saying it again, I'll just link to my other post in a similarly-themed thread.

Also:
RyanSaotome wrote:
I'm not going to prevent myself from watching classic shows like Madoka just because no American company licenses it or puts it up for legal stream. No real anime fan would.

So I'm not a real anime fan anymore, because I don't steal my anime? And the show just finished airing in Japan, how does anyone know that it won't be licensed for other countries in the future? Again, with the entitlements. It's in Japan, so I should have it now. How about importing the DVDs/BDs if you're so desparate to see it. Then again, without people illegally redistributing illegal uploads with subtitles added to them, you'd not have known what you were missing.

[BR]

As for fansubs being "free advertising", I'm sorry, but fans of an anime in other regions of the world are hardly going to have an effect on whether or not a US company licenses the series. So it's still in the best interests of the Japanese rightsholders to keep their content from being pirated. Crunchyroll gets a bunch of series each season. To think you have a right to pirate the shows they don't get, simply because you can't get them legally anywhere else, is bullshit.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9