• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: CMX on Tenjho Tenge Edits Again

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:44 am Reply with quote
Akuinnen wrote:
Even if you do do a patition they can still choose to ignore. Also they can still refuse to listen to anything anyone says even in discussion. They canmake face by going and listening...but whether they take that into consideration we as die hard fans loose out. As an overall, with any manga or anime or movie.

Sometimes its really sad when companies don't listen...But yeah majority wins...

So because they 'might' ignore you, you won't bother? If people simply stop buying it, CMX isn't going to hit up the internet, asking what they did wrong. They're going to see 'well, it didn't sell, so nuts to this'. Giving a unified voice, some kind of credible backing, can do positive things if you try hard enough.
rajamitsu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:56 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Texas is actually progressive, compared to the rest of the Bible Belt. If Devil lives in a Mid-Western state, I could understand his challenge in finding a title like Berserk in a bookstore.

I'm a MidWesterner and I see Battle Royale, Berserk, Negima and multiple yaoi titles at every bookstore I frequent. Heck, I even saw a "I *heart* Yaoi" bag on sale at the local Borders.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:57 am Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:

mar2p wrote:
CMX is not destructing your life or anything. You are the consumer with choices.

But most customers in this case have three options: they either buy the heavily edited English version or they buy it unedited in a language that they don't understand, or they don't buy it at all. Also, as far as I know CMX didn't warn their customers that the title would be edited, so they didn't play fair. What happened to TenTen may happen again.

They didn't just not give a warning, their advertising suggested quite the opposite. "Manga the way the creator wanted you to see it" or something like that.

Quote:
mar2p wrote:
CMX may have made a wrong decision at each branching point as to "Tenjho Tenge," but it's apparent that they are trying to do a better job.

What Gatsu said. Also, without the complaints against their treatment of TenTen they wouldn't try to do a better job at all. In cases like this, complaining is the only thing a customer can do to make the company realize their mistakes.

Indeed, CMX hasn't given any indication that they "are trying to do a better job." Yes, they've responded, but that's it. They just say "Well, we have to do this to sell it and look, it's our best selling series!" (which I think is BS). Numerous other series which are far worse (Battle Royale, Berserk, etc.) have been released without such edits and seem to sell well enough. Some aren't even shrinkwrapped (most Battle Vixens volumes, for example).
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Steve:
Quote:

It's been bought up, but boycotts will only work if there is an organised, and sufficient demand for changes. People keep buying TT, so boycotts won't work.

Yes, people still buy the series, but obviously not enough, if CMX had to change their marketing of it. The fact that their rep is even responding after such a long delay obviously indicates them faltering, but still trying to save face.

Quote:
So because they 'might' ignore you, you won't bother?

Actually, they seem to ignore people anyway. I guess that's what happens when you're a subsidiary of a faceless corporation.

Quote:
If people simply stop buying it, CMX isn't going to hit up the internet, asking what they did wrong.

Actually, that's what they've been doing for the last few months.

Quote:
They're going to see 'well, it didn't sell, so nuts to this'.

Well it doesn't sell, but they keep trying to sell it anyway. It's the same mentality previously seen with Al "Kids don't read" Kahn. That is, doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

raja:

Quote:
I'm a MidWesterner and I see Battle Royale, Berserk, Negima and multiple yaoi titles at every bookstore I frequent. Heck, I even saw a "I *heart* Yaoi" bag on sale at the local Borders.

Oh well. I guess that Devil's just got bad luck, then. Devil, try ordering directly with the bookstore, and see what happens.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:54 pm Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:

mar2p wrote:
CMX is not destructing your life or anything. You are the consumer with choices.

But most customers in this case have three options: they either buy the heavily edited English version or they buy it unedited in a language that they don't understand, or they don't buy it at all. Also, as far as I know CMX didn't warn their customers that the title would be edited, so they didn't play fair. What happened to TenTen may happen again.

You forgot "Screw this, i'm going to illegaltorrentscanlationsite.com.org.gov/ and read it from there."

HitokiriShadow wrote:

Indeed, CMX hasn't given any indication that they "are trying to do a better job." Yes, they've responded, but that's it. They just say "Well, we have to do this to sell it and look, it's our best selling series!" (which I think is BS). Numerous other series which are far worse (Battle Royale, Berserk, etc.) have been released without such edits and seem to sell well enough. Some aren't even shrinkwrapped (most Battle Vixens volumes, for example).

Oh for god sakes, please dont bring up Battle Vixens/Battle Club. I swear, whoever translated that was listening to DJ Milky's extremely horrible music while translating it.
animalia555

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:47 pm Reply with quote
If somebody did this to Berserk or Bastard you know there would be NOBODY agreeing with the company. Also it's not that TenTen doesn't have a plot, its is that the plot is so difficult to understand, that most people just notice the fanservice. I mean I had to read the whole Maya-Shin-Mitsoumi backstory two, or three times at least before I got it. Also one way that makes TenTen's story unique is that unlike in other fighting manga, here when a charachter gains in power it has the ability to morally, mentally, and physically corrupt them. That is half the a third of the reason why Shin went insane. The other two being his obsession with Maya, and the interaction of the Dragon's Eye and Reiki.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

Oh for god sakes, please don't bring up Battle Vixens/Battle Club. I swear, whoever translated that was listening to DJ Milky's extremely horrible music while translating it.

I merely brought it up because it's just as bad as TenTen in the fanservice department. And the dialogue is far worse.
animalia555

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Hitokiri Shadow is that a picture of Eve from Black Cat or Cagali from Gundam Seed?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:26 pm Reply with quote
It's Cagalli from the cover of some doujinshi, so it's not from official art or a screenshot.
animalia555

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Thank You, Hitokiri Shadow.

Last edited by animalia555 on Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
mangalurker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
mar2p wrote:

It's not just the edits themselves, it's about the way this company ignores consumer input but still expects us to happily buy a watered down product. That's not going to work in a crowded market where their competitors proved them wrong from day one (Berserk, Negima etc). I really want to support CMX, I really do. Until they want my support, I'll vote with my money; I'll buy other titles I'm interested in.

It's funny -- CMX is darned if they do, or darned if they don't . . .everyone complained and demanded they want a response, and when they do, they get skewered for responding -- and, from what I read, for a far more informative response than before, when they just annoyed all of us by saying "No comment."

Quote:
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
Kinda odd this statement, given that someone I know in one of the major book chains purchasing departments says Tenjo Tenge has been clogging their inventory levels for sometime and doesn't sell well. I wonder what spurned CMX to say such lies....

Exactly, and seeing as their 'flagship title' TenTen never showed up in the bookscan toplist and ranks terribly low on the Amazon sales chart compared to other manga... who are they trying to fool? Their 'economic approach to reality' reminds me of ADV's talks about (the supposedly uber-succesful) TAN. I.e. they're good at making shit up.

Also find it funny when people say "I have a friend who..." and then counter with accusing of others of lying. I work at a Borders, and TenTen does okay for us. By no means a top 10 book for us, but by no means does it clog up our system. I have nothing to do with purchasing, but we've received restock inventory on the volume a few times, and even have the newly trade dressed vol. 1, to match the other volumes. But, I suppose that's as valid as saying "I have a friend who..."

I do have a friend that works in a comic shop, and she lets me read her ICv2. In the latest volume, #15, it lists TT anime at #16 -- "Unlike the CMX manga (which independent retailers report is doing OK in spite of the censhorship controversy)..." so who am I to argue with that? That seems more factual to me. And certainly confirms that it does....ok.

But darnit, CMX -- do an uncensored TT, and you've got me! Promise! In the meantime, I will read your copy of Megatokyo. Surprised
mar2p

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Quote:
mar2p wrote:

It's not just the edits themselves, it's about the way this company ignores consumer input but still expects us to happily buy a watered down product. That's not going to work in a crowded market where their competitors proved them wrong from day one (Berserk, Negima etc). I really want to support CMX, I really do. Until they want my support, I'll vote with my money; I'll buy other titles I'm interested in.

It's funny -- CMX is darned if they do, or darned if they don't . . .everyone complained and demanded they want a response, and when they do, they get skewered for responding -- and, from what I read, for a far more informative response than before, when they just annoyed all of us by saying "No comment."

mangalurker.....
That's not my quote. It's someone else's. Crying or Very sad

I just think it's not fair that some people are treating CMX as a bad company only because what they decided to do with Ten Ten.

No matter what is said or done, there is nothing that can change the sorrow and angry feelings of those who are upset over CMX's Tenjho Tenge at the moment. But I still think it's not fair for them to say "I won't buy any other CMX titles because CMX would do the same they did on Ten Ten to all other titles". So unfair.

CMX restored the one 'censored' panel in Sword of the Dark Ones from the second print. It was just 'one panel' in one volume to fix in Sword of the Dark Ones, but for Tenjho Tenge, it is more logical to think that it is difficult for CMX to 'restore' everything (arts, texts, covers, etc.) in all the volumes. Well, some may say 'it's their fault!', but the reality is that the books are already out, and CMX has decided to finish the current version, no matter how their readers may complain.

Let them finish the current version as they say. CMX is not saying they won't publish unedited Ten Ten (though we don't know what their plans for unedited version are, but still..).

Again, CMX made the decision to continue the current version, so that's all you will get for a while. Get over it, and don't worry if you are not buying the CMX version. Good news for all of you who are upset, CMX's license will eventually expire, and Tenjho Tenge may be re-introduced. Wait until unedited version is published by either CMX or someone else some time in the future.
mangalurker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"I won't buy any other CMX titles because CMX would do the same they did on Ten Ten to all other titles". So unfair.

Yeah, totally...but I am buying Megatokyo from them (but, i do get a discount since I work in a bookstore). I also browse and look at some of theor other titles. I will eventually buy Kamikaze Jean...that one is selling almost as well as FULL MOON, we're always running out of that one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6