• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon Shuts Down Anime Strike Paid Streaming Service

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Related/unrelated note, Amazon US announced today that for $99 /yr, you can add CBS All Access to your prime membership in case you wish to wash Star Trek Discovery without having to log in to a separate account.

Glad that Amazon Strike is dead; not that it affects me in Japan, but still, creating a double paywall was simply a bad concept.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:48 pm Reply with quote
The evil is defeated! Its on Prime only I might just sign up since there are some good perks aside from the streaming selection. It will help greatly when Super Robot Wars X comes out in April since its an import.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:22 pm Reply with quote
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:
Glad that Amazon Strike is dead; not that it affects me in Japan, but still, creating a double paywall was simply a bad concept.

On the whole, this is worse for me, since HiDive lacks apps to watch on a big screen without going through a little bit of extra work, and I'll now have to subscribe to that crappy service. (The only bonus is getting Legend of the Galactic Heroes.) It won't even save me money, since I had Prime anyway for other benefits.

Again, I'm biased since I had Prime anyway, but I don't particularly find the "double paywall" any worse than the idea that you have to subscribe to Netflix and pay for their development of a whole bunch of shows you don't want in order to get one or two that you do. Subscribing to Netflix costs about as much as Amazon Prime (with a yearly rate or Amazon Prime Video standalone monthly) plus what Anime Strike was, and subscribing to Netflix in 4K was more. (Whereas Amazon Prime always included 4K plus other benefits.)

I guess I understand other people celebrating, but this means that I'll have to pay as much or more for what right now is a worse, less convenient service.
Peebs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:37 pm Reply with quote
So far the year of the dog is turning to be good, five days in. Laughing

See what I did there? Wink
emerald00

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully, they give those of us with the service a refund.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:09 pm Reply with quote
emerald00 wrote:
Hopefully, they give those of us with the service a refund.

The article states that there will be pro-rated refunds.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:41 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

True, but paying an extra $5 to have access to a crappy service was getting more frustrating with every week. Even if Prime continues to have issues uploading new episodes, I was planning to keep Prime anyway. I will see having anime in Prime as an additional benefit to free shipping, prime music and the other stuff it offers.

That's true. If you already had Prime before Strike and plan to keep it going forward, in a way, this is basically just like now getting your anime simulcasts for free, since you don't have Prime just for anime. It's kinda just a nice side benefit. On the other hand, hopefully that doesn't mean they'll pay even less attention to anime on their service and the missing subs and late uploads won't just get worse..
On that same note, I can now easily justify HiDive, since they'll have a lot more good content, and I'm already saving the $5 that I was giving to Amazon before.
Nadare Xizos

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:28 am Reply with quote
This is great news. Even as a member of Amazon Prime, I thought the double paywall was ridiculous. So I'm glad they gave up the ghost and admitted Strike was a failure. Now I can finally see some of the anime people have been raving about here. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:08 am Reply with quote
Already started Made in Abyss & I have Great Passage lined up after that. Best news of 2018 so far.

Although I do feel overwhelmed that I suddenly have all this new anime to watch at the start of a new season. lol
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:37 am Reply with quote
Had they not had the double paywall, were more communicative about episode delays and streaming issues, and made it more available to other countries, I would actually feel a bit sad this service went down.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:06 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Had they not had the double paywall, were more communicative about episode delays and streaming issues, and made it more available to other countries, I would actually feel a bit sad this service went down.

It's not that it went down, so much as rectified your first issue. The previous Strike exclusives were moved over to Prime, or at least much of them. Though Amazon's number of simulcasts going forward has gone done now that Sentai seems to have jumped ship.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:30 pm Reply with quote
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:
Related/unrelated note, Amazon US announced today that for $99 /yr, you can add CBS All Access to your prime membership in case you wish to wash Star Trek Discovery without having to log in to a separate account.

I am NOT washing that thing! It would take weeks!

(Pst, it's watch, not wash.).
portgas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:44 pm Reply with quote
I think Amazon is likely done with anime after their contracts run out. It's niche for them and too much of a distraction.

If I can speculate, I think the end of Prime has more to do with how well they were doing with their original series rather than Strike itself. A few months ago, Amazon fired quite a few of their live-action developers because of the poor showing in viewership and awards for their original series. This is more important to them then anime.
kajunbowser

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Huh, I was surprised to see what was going on with the Roku app after finishing up Yuki Yuna S2 because Anime Strike was nowhere on the app. I check here and my email, and sure enough, it's gone. That's another $5 I can have back a month... only to put towards that eventual Netflix sub.

That said, I hope most of the series there haven't disappeared, and I think Anime Strike could've stayed as a free channel. This just makes it harder to find the series I was planning to watch on Amazon Video.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:22 pm Reply with quote
SejinPK wrote:
This is probably a pretty unpopular opinion, but I'm not terribly happy with this news. Yes, Amazon Strike had some big problems, and yes, now there's only one paywall. However, that remaining paywall is the ~$100/year Prime membership that you have to pay for all at once, rather than the ~$60/year Anime Strike fee that you pay monthly, and can cancel and renew for particular seasons if you want (meaning it could be less than ~$60/year).

Huh? I pay for my prime monthly (about £8 a month), but I buy art supplies and stuff so I use prime delivery a lot too so it works out for me. First the Anime Strike paywall now only yearly payment option? What's up with the US Prime? Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8