• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nikkei: Sony 'Nears Acquisition' of Crunchyroll

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
kamen_otaku81 wrote:
Great. Just what we need. MORE censored and Shonen Jump Weekly friendly anime. I really need that.

I don't see any good coming from this.

It's a different Sony subsidiary who bought Crunchyroll, it's not Sony Entertainment.

Just like it was a different subsidiary who bought Funi (Sony) and Madman/Wakanim (Aniplex), and now they are under the same umbrella...

liquidblueocean wrote:
So here comes an Australian perspective now, without speculation:
AnimeLab had far better streaming clients than both Funi and Crunchy, tho Crunchy started picking up their game this year but is still behind. I guess that's because the other companies had legacy systems and AnimeLab was newer?
Funi/Sony bought AnimeLab and it has been the best thing ever for Australians. They discontinued Funi here because AnimeLab was much better and had more recognition. The awesome bit being they added most of Funi's titles into AnimeLab, no cost increase since.
Nothing bad has happened yet...

Extra: Tho I do prefer subs, in Australia Crunchy has basically zero movies and AnimeLab has lots. Despite marketing, doesn't mean Crunchy are the only ones with subs. The agreement where Crunchy has subs and Funi has the dubs stopped a while back, no rules from here.

This is what I am worried about. I love Madman and AnimeLab and want to support locals who have been bringing anime to Australia via physical release, TV, streaming and most importantly via cinemas which probably wouldn't have happened without them, yet now I am worried about the streaming being rolled into CR and how it would affect local distribution.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

To my knowledge, the Tsugumomo sets. But aside from that, literally nothing comes to mind.
Was Tsugumomo just the case of Funimation being given the broadcast edits or were there additional edits that weren't on Japanese TV?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Sony are becoming to US Anime licensing, what Disney is to the film and TV industries. The thing is, what happens if the bubble bursts like it did in the late 00s? Both Bandai Visual and Geneon closed their US divisions, so if things got bad again, would Sony just see Funimation and Crunchyroll as dead weight divisions and close them.

And to the people complaining about censorship, not they won't censor your risqué fanservice shows.
Ushio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:21 pm Reply with quote
JulieYBM wrote:
This is amazingly bad. I wonder if Sony will go after RightStuf next, just to control home video distribution in the market?

Sony was the one chased to buy Crunchyroll because AT&T wants to sell. It would have been far worse if either a Chinese company or a hedge fund bought Crunchyroll.
Aresef

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:52 pm Reply with quote
JulieYBM wrote:
This is amazingly bad. I wonder if Sony will go after RightStuf next, just to control home video distribution in the market?

I don’t see the synergy there. What does TRSI have that Sony would want? They’re a small distributor that has a large online retail business. It’s like saying they should buy Discotek. Or GameStop. Or like saying GameStop buying ThinkGeek was a good idea.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:11 pm Reply with quote
JulieYBM wrote:

As others are indicating, Sony can't just up & purchase Right Stuf. Unlike Crunchyroll, RS is an independently run company, so the only way RS can even be sold is if Shawne Kleckner wants to sell it, and it's obvious that he has absolutely no interest in doing so.

Look, Sony buying Crunchyroll doesn't have many upsides to start with, so there's no need for people to start worrying over stuff that just can't happen, like Sony buying Right Stuf or SCEA enforcing censorship rules over another, completely separate division of Sony.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Normally I'd be very against this because monopoly but in the case of streaming services it honestly makes no difference.

As it is, if you wanted to watch 50% of anime in the US you'd need every single anime streaming service. To do that, you'd have to spend $671.28 a year on the streaming services. It's unsustainable and insane. This would barely help fix that, since it only removes Funimation from the equation but it would actually HELP consumers, unlike most monopolies.

Streaming services as they are now, are already pretty much each a monopoly. They don't compete with actual services/quality/features. They "compete" with exclusive shows - except that modern TV shows don't really compete against each other. There's no real competition. A small % of people will get just CR because they have the MOST shows. And a small % will get a service because of one big show, but the reality is that the majority of anime fans want to watch as much anime as they can and so they have no choice but to subscribe to as many of the services as they can afford. So again, there's no true competition - people have to subscribe either way.

The real solution to this is like in Japan where most shows are on 4+ streaming services, giving people REAL choice. But on this specific issue, it makes no real difference if Sony buys CR or not.

The only way we'll actually fix the issue with streaming services is if more Japanese companies act like Aniplex* USA (sometimes) - they get a US branch and then license their shows out to MULTIPLE services at the same time.

*A bit ironic since Aniplex is owned by Sony but they have sometimes put their shows on CR as of recently.

Still making shit up? Cool. Justify your piracy to yourself however you want but at least have the decency to not keep tying to pull this shit.

Psycho 101 wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
Even in the US where we have a lot of options* it's getting crazy because if you want to watch everything it would cost you over $600 a year in subscription fees. This is a problem outside of streaming, too, and I won't waste time going into too much detail but basically it's "Subscription fatigue"

* "options" is misleading since each service is built upon exclusives so in reality you have to subscribe to them all to watch even 50% of the new anime that come out each season

That is very misleading. It is also not the first time you've posted ridiculous claims and numbers that are misleading.

For VRV (which gets you Sentai and Crunchy) it's $9.99 a month with tax for premium. Which also gets you all the other channels. That's roughly $120 a year. Let's round up generously for taxes to say $150 a year. Funimation is $5.99 a month for regular Premium which gets you subs and dubs, the entire library, and 2 concurent streams at the same time. The only real advantage of the premium plus is some extra member benefits that don't do much, and streaming to 5 devices concurrently. So at regular premium for $5.99 a month that's $72 bucks. Let's again round up for some taxes. Let's say $85 as a highball with taxes. Now you're at $235 a year for the vast majority of everything that streams. That gets you HiDive, Funi, & Crunchy plus all the extra channels on VRV. Let's add Netflix for good measure. You can save money and do the Basic. That's $8.99 a month. Let's be realistic though, you want HD. So for the HD plan that's $12.99 and you can stream to 2 devices at a time. That's $155.88 before taxes. Let's round up again to say $170. It's the most expensive service with the least amount of pure anime, but you get everything else on Netflix. Now you're at just over $400 a year, high balling the taxes mind you, for Netflix, Hi-Dive, Crunchy, and Funimation. Plus all the bonus content on Netflix and VRV outside of anime.

The only way you're going to get up to over $600 a year is if you also add in Hulu Plus Streaming and Amazon Prime as well. The anime content on those services though, especially limited to just those services, is negligible at best. If you're subscribing to Hulu it's probably to replace cable. At which point the price for streaming live Hulu tv is already less than cable or dish right out the gate. So you're already saving money for that switch. Almost nobody gets Prime just for anime. You get Prime for either Prime video, perhaps Unlimited if you're a book reader, or more than likely for the shipping bonuses. They don't even license anime anymore. So while yes you might have to spend over $600 for ALL THE ANIME RELEASED in the west the fact is for roughly $235 you can get the VAST majority of anime released between Crunchy, Hi-Dive, and Funi. You also get those back catalogs as well. Which as someone who bought dvd singles....good god I could've saved a lot of money if I could've seen the future. Even if you get Netflix to bump up that percentage of anime it's basically $400 a year. That's $200 under your $600 plus figure for 90-95% of new anime released in a year, plus you get back catalogs.

The statement that you made about having to subscribe to them all for just 50% of new anime is complete and utter bs. That's just simply wildly untrue. You could subscribe to just VRV (Crunchy and Hi-Dive) and Funi for roughly $235 and get the vast majority of new streaming anime each season. Netflix only gets a handful in a year.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Was Tsugumomo just the case of Funimation being given the broadcast edits or were there additional edits that weren't on Japanese TV?

Funimation's Tsugumomo release was a censored broadcast version, although the issue there was they marketed the disks as the original uncut version and later claimed they had to use the censored broadcast version due to licensing issues without telling anyone beforehand.

But Crunchyroll already airs broadcast censored streams for most of their shows so that wouldn't really be a change Sony would make. People have already been watching censored versions on Crunchyroll (remember that Sword Art Online hubub where Crunchyroll didn't air the Japanese stream version with the extended sexual assault scene?) Censored streams and disks here aren't exactly uncommon due to Japanese companies either not giving companies the uncut masters or companies just not knowing/bothering to ask for them.

So nothing's probably going to change... at least when it comes to censored streams. Other issues from Sony owning a monopoly are up in the air though.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:17 pm Reply with quote
AT&T a crappy phone service deeply in debt owns a Crunchyroll this is a bad thing! When the parent company is so deep in debt new licenses for a subsidiary is less likely! True Sony owns Funimation a merge with Crunchyroll make sense and a offering with PS5 makes complete sense! Sony is NOT in major debt while AT&T a poor cell service I had for three years is dying!
88NickC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:29 pm Reply with quote
I seriously doubt anything will change for the worst in terms of fanservice.

Aside from a few mere bumps in the road (some of which happened BEFORE Sony's acquisition of Funimation), since the Sony acquisition, Funimation still licensed a lot of fanservice series (such as High School DxD HERO, more Fairy Tail, Hensuki, Super HxEros, Magical Girl Spec Ops Asuka, Senran Kagura Shinovi Master (which was completely uncensored even in the initial simuldub), Plunderer, Uzaki-Chan Wants to Hang Out, and I could keep going), and even continued to release series of that caliber on Blu-ray.

Even if Sony does buy out Crunchyroll, the only change I see is a bigger library of anime in general.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Catseyetiger wrote:
AT&T a crappy phone service deeply in debt owns a Crunchyroll this is a bad thing! When the parent company is so deep in debt new licenses for a subsidiary is less likely! True Sony owns Funimation a merge with Crunchyroll make sense and a offering with PS5 makes complete sense! Sony is NOT in major debt while AT&T a poor cell service I had for three years is dying!

CR falls under Otter which in turn falls under Warner... which is the baffling part in all this since Warner is a multimedia behemoth and they could have really run with CR and anime licensing but looking to offload... Maybe AT&T should sell off their media assets altogether
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:09 pm Reply with quote
So Funi and Crunchy will be back together again. Guess the Sentai deal will be short lived... Unless they have a long contract already signed...
Regardless, I hope this means that more titles will be coming home on bluray
Right now, this doesn't look like it would be any more of any "issue" than it was when Funi and Crunchy first got together.
I saw someone mention that Funi and Crunchy would be under separate divisions of Sony, but I'd have to imagine that even with that at some point the two streaming services would combine. Even if one specializes in Subs and the other in Dubs (for instance), I can't imagine that it makes sense to maintain and support two separate platforms that can serve a single audience.
joeydoa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Wow! This would be an absolute godsend, saving Crunchyroll from the death grip and absolute mismanagement of AT&T (where good companies go to die). Ever since AT&T got a controlling interest in Crunchyroll it has been absolute downhill, from the downgrades in streaming quality, the godawful so-called updates to the platform apps and the increasingly shrinking number of new series simulcasts each quarter, not to mention that absolute waste of money into so-called Crunchyroll originals. I was worried about the future of Crunchyroll and the absolute leveraging and hemorrhaging of AT&T through the ill guided merger with Direct TV - which cost the CEO Randall Stephenson his job while racking up 170 billion dollars in debt. I feel a lot better about the future of Crunchyroll in Sony's hands.

Just an aside about ala carte streaming services - the more things are broken up - the more expensive it becomes - I'm looking at personally: $6/mo Funimation, $8 Crunchyroll, $5 Hidive, $16/mo Netflix, $60 Youtube TV, $10 AMC Plus - all told that comes to $1260 a year. If Funimation and Crunchyroll were to consolidate into some sort of double play monthly deal - saving a few bucks a month would be more than welcome.

Also, just remembered because its paid annually but I also have Amazon prime but let's just leave that out of the grand total because it's high enough already. Also netflix with 4k and multiple screens is $16 a month (I just noticed the comment about regular HD netflix).
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:58 am Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
Funimation's Tsugumomo release was a censored broadcast version, although the issue there was they marketed the disks as the original uncut version and later claimed they had to use the censored broadcast version due to licensing issues without telling anyone beforehand.
This is what I assumed was the case but people always keep bringing up Tsugumomo in these debates as if Funimation was the one responsible for the edits and not Japan and it's telling this is the only show in recent memory can ever point to. Probably they tried to acquire the uncut broadcast rights but the Japanese licensor wouldn't let them have it for some reason like reverse importation fears or whatever.

Quote:
But Crunchyroll already airs broadcast censored streams for most of their shows so that wouldn't really be a change Sony would make. People have already been watching censored versions on Crunchyroll (remember that Sword Art Online hubub where Crunchyroll didn't air the Japanese stream version with the extended sexual assault scene?) Censored streams and disks here aren't exactly uncommon due to Japanese companies either not giving companies the uncut masters or companies just not knowing/bothering to ask for them.

In the case of SAO as I recall there were multiple censored versions of that episode that were given to various networks in Japan and global streaming sites and the uncensored version only aired on one limited premium network.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:15 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
DavetheUsher wrote:
This is what I assumed was the case but people always keep bringing up Tsugumomo in these debates as if Funimation was the one responsible for the edits and not Japan and it's telling this is the only show in recent memory can ever point to. Probably they tried to acquire the uncut broadcast rights but the Japanese licensor wouldn't let them have it for some reason like reverse importation fears or whatever.

The German release was uncensored so I don't think it's the licensor. Also, don't forget Funimation decision to drop Interspecies Reviewers

Quote:

Quote:

In the case of SAO as I recall there were multiple censored versions of that episode that were given to various networks in Japan and global streaming sites and the uncensored version only aired on one limited premium network.

The general Japanese TV broadcast had the least amount of censorship compared to the versions Aniplex gave to the international streaming sites. Here's a breakdown of the JP TV vs simulcast vs Adult Swim differences:
https://censorship.wikia.org/wiki/Sword_Art_Online:_Alicization
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8