• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Warner Bros. Japan, WIT Studio Unveil Original Anime Series Suicide Squad ISEKAI Based on DC C

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:41 pm Reply with quote
allnightclerk wrote:
I haven't seen any of the shows you're talking about but it sounds like the issue comes down to America's obsession with politics for why their adaptions are always so poorly done.

I haven’t read or watched any of the Watchmen related properties but the series literally took place in a world with tensions between America & Russia being at their worst since the Cuban Missile Crisis. With Ozymandias fake alien invasion being designed to mitigate this. And Doomdsay Clock showing the fallout of Rosarch’s diary exposing the lie putting Armageddon between the two nations back on the table.

Point being as much as people don’t reconcile this politics has been apart of comic books for decades and what what people think is politics isn’t politics like making female characters lead of the stories they’re in or including an LGBTQ actor/character.

oilers2007 wrote:
I guess if this has Deadshot in it and he's black instead of white then maybe this would count, but the original Suicide Squad movie was the one that did that so I think it'll be like Nick Fury where Marvel/DC mandate these characters be black now for the sake of diversity

Nick Fury being black in the MCU had nothing to due with “filling diversity quotas or mandates” but because the Sam Jackson design of the character that was introduced in the original Ultimate comics being more popular than the original pulpy version of the character.

Fedora-san wrote:
She's a messed up person just like the Joker. Seeing her on things like those preschool shows for kids where she's teaming up with Supergirl and Batgirl just seems funny to me when I think about the things she's done.

It shouldn’t be when you reconcile the fact that DC Superhero Girls is a lighter and softer take on the characters so that all their history is of course not the exact same and certain things from that character’s lore & history aren’t touched upon such as certain characters being paraplegic for a time due to being shot or others being former drug addicts.
vorkedlarfleeze

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Japan is giving me bishi Joker and sexy Harley and I am all here for it. I like the pained mouth on Joker to make it look like he has teeth.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:59 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
-Bea was noticeably lighter-skinned in the Pokémon anime miniseries compared to her game version

For context, though, Bea's Japanese name is "Saitou" and her brute-force martial arts style resembles common tropes from Fukuoka, suggesting her skin is tan and she is Japanese. To be clear, in the Japanese version of SwSh, very few characters have Japanese names, so her name is uniquely Japanese. And if I remember correctly, that anime also had a lighter color scheme in general. Even Pokemon colors were softer and lighter than their game counterparts.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6