• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN and the industry's stance on fansubs (ANN official on P5

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackal912

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm a person who watches fansubs exclusively - for several reasons.

One - I can't afford them. Period. Yes, yes, I know, get a job and all that, but I have a rather busy schedule even without a job.

Two - they're on television in Japan anyway, It seems kind of cheap to release even a small series on /several/ DVDs, each of whom are expensive

Three - I'm one of those people who believes that most voice actors in dubbing are totally awful - it rarely captures the real feel of the moment, especially since so many tend to resort to monotone voices even in the most dramatic of situations - the original japanese with subtitles isn't as common as it should be.

Four - there's a /lot/ of bad anime out there, and it really sucks when you tossed 50 bucks on a series that turns out you hate. Indirectly, it discourages people to not even try anime they know aren't famous masterpieces.
Nom_Anor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:49 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
nikandros wrote:
My take is that companies should support fansubs. It helps to reach new markets.

Dude, legitimate companies couldn't and shouldn't support illegal acts, even if the latter might help their business (and even that is questionable and debatable as we can't test "what ifs" in real life). They may choose to keep an eye closed but shall not promote piracy.

There is an easy fix to this. If they give permission for people to subtitle and distribute their anime in countries it hasn't been licensed, it would be perfectly legal.
ultrapostman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:10 pm Reply with quote
I hope this isn't too off topic...

I'm trying to figure this out. I have a friend (seriously) who watches fansubbed episodes of Naruto Shippuden every week or so (as soon as he can find the fansubs). He does watch the naruto dub on Toonami, but with the filler approaching he says that he'll probably stop watching the dub entirely (might not even watch the Tea Country Arc). I'm sure there are many people out there who agree with him, and will probably not watch the filler on Toonami. My question is, what would be the right thing to do? What through the filler until Shippuden hits the U.S? Or just watch Shippuden?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:05 am Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Exactly, AoD allows it too. So what was it AoD was doing to make it more "Anti-fansub" than ANN?

'Anti-fansub' might be better termed as 'pro-purchase.' The fact that some fansubbed titles are indeed discussed doesn't take as much away from AoD as it does from ANN in my opinion. The difference with regard to the exposure of retail goods versus pirated goods between AoD and ANN is pretty striking to me and always has been. ANN's readership mainly seems to focus on purchasing goods only when there's some wholesale sell-off where anime titles are sold at or near the cost of manufacturing and shipping. I'm sorry, but that's just not the same thing as routinely buying anime at or around it's original release for retail or pre-order cost.

The folks at AoD just seem to be much more active supporters of the retail anime market than the folks on ANN and I'm still surprised I'm even being challenged on that. I mean, why do you think most of the market representatives seem to gravitate to AoD and barely ever comment here on ANN? I happen to think it's for the same reason serious consumers also seem to gravitate to AoD; because they take their purchases seriously, and not just as some sort of feel-good afterthought reserved for those with excess cash flow.

I think it just comes off that way because there is much more discussion of the actual releases. I think most of the people at ANN buy the legit DVDs, they just don't discuss it nearly as much. Oh, and it's hard to say what percentage of AoDers watch fansubs, but it seems like the majority of them do.

As for the bolded part, do you think people at AoD are paying anywhere near the retail price? Try looking at the retail forum. Everyone takes advantage of sales, specials and misprices. Because its the smart thing to do.

Quote:

That's actually a big part of my point.

The fansub topics take away less from AoD's total experience because they seem to be responsible for a smaller percentage of AoD's posts, at least in my experience. I'm not saying that AoD is some kind perfect anime forum, in fact it's far from it, but I have always had a lot of respect for how seriously they take their direct support of the industry and I wish we could do the same.

That's... a bizarre way of looking at it. Look at their General Anime forum (the equivalent of this anime forum here) and its pretty much the same. Except they have a lot more series discussion threads for shows being fansubbed. ANN currently has 3 or 4 that get posted in remotely regularly. AoD has at about 10, maybe more.

Quote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
And yet, he has no problem with people discussing fansubs on his forums.

And neither do I. I'm not expecting zero topics about fansubs, I'm just expecting equal time instead of a lopsided discussion that could only be possible through rampant unchecked piracy. Is that too much to ask? I guess so.

There is plenty of opportunity for discussion in the talkback forum (in response to reviews and columns like shelf life). Honestly, the only reason it appears more balanced at AoD is because they do far, far more reviews than ANN does. But the reviews themselves usually don't get much discussion unless there's a major issue or question about the release. There is little discussion about the actual shows in those threads. Meanwhile, there are huge threads for a dozen different series currently airing in Japan.

At this point, from what you've said it seems like the only things that make AoD more 'anti-fansub' are that it A) has a lot more forums and topics and B) Chris has something in his signature related to it. Meanwhile, they have far more fansub discussion than we do. So that makes them more anti-fansub? That's... silly.

It needs to be noted that the purpose of ANN and AoD is different, which means the things being discussed are going to be different. ANN is focused on news related to anime and manga in general. AoD is focused on the actual releases and various technical details. As a result, only people who actually care about purchasing legit DVDs are going to care about AoD and so, virtually 100% of their userbase buys some DVDs at some point (maybe a tiny % don't if they are their for the manga section). However, ANN is not so focused and general anime news is going to attract a lot of people that don't necessarily buy the DVDs. So of course AoD is going to get more discussion on the actual releases.

But that still has no bearing on how "anti-fansub" either site is.
daxomni

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:59 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Now as you've said in the past, being poor isn't an excuse for stealing, but it does explain why a lot of us exercise "smart shopping" with Rightstuf sales and the like. That's better than not buying at all, right?

Buying it at cost doesn't seem all that supportive to me. I mean, are we real fans or just fair-weather fans? Many folks here get to enjoy their endless fansubs while I only get to see half of Kodocha even though in my mind I'm the one actually putting my money where my mouth is. It just seems like kind of a bad situation to me. But, there's obviously nothing that can be done to change that and apparently no will to change any of it anyway. Hopefully I'm just off base though and most anime fans in America just happen to dislike Kodocha. I could live with that a lot better than knowing they liked it but were just too damn stingy to actually pay for it.

Zalis116 wrote:
And I have to ask, if AoD is so great and ANN's users/staff are a bunch of fansub-loving hippies, why not spend your time there instead of here? I don't want to see you go, but if you're so dissatisfied with the community and the nature of the discussions on these forums...well, you get the idea.

My mindset is somewhere in between ANN and AoD, neither one is really a good match.

dormcat wrote:
daxomni wrote:
ANN's readership mainly seems to focus on purchasing goods only when there's some wholesale sell-off where anime titles are sold at or near the cost of manufacturing and shipping. I'm sorry, but that's just not the same thing as routinely buying anime at or around it's original release for retail or pre-order cost.
Source please? Are those personal observation / speculation or based on some hard evidence?

Just what exactly did you think "seems" was meant to imply dormcat? Did you somehow confuse my casual personal assessment with a term paper or something? I'm not writing a sanctioned article here. "Seems" is what practical people refer to as a "qualifier" and its primary purpose is to answer questions like yours before they're even asked.

HitokiriShadow wrote:
I think most of the people at ANN buy the legit DVDs, they just don't discuss it nearly as much. Oh, and it's hard to say what percentage of AoDers watch fansubs, but it seems like the majority of them do.

Yes, I completely agree that most people at ANN buy a portion of the anime they watch on legitimate DVD, a very small portion, at a very discounted price.

HitokiriShadow wrote:
That's... a bizarre way of looking at it.

Good, then let's just agree to disagree; I don't have enough energy to keep this up. It's not like this was really going to go anywhere anyway and I don't sense any compromise in the making.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I think the official source would USUALLY be better served by charging a price for the service and having a variety of items available, like a channel you pay for. I think people would be more likely to pay $10 for a channel that gets a new episode of 2 of the favorite series each week, rather than $1-2 per episode.

It really depends. I'm currently watching fansubs for 13 series, give or take. At the prices I suggested, that would be $13-26 per week. If I could watch all those shows on a serivice for less than that for week (assuming the above points on quality and distribution) then I'd be fine with that.

The problem would be that of those shows the rights are probably handled by about a half-dozen or more companies in Japan, and would be split between the 3-4 major US companies if released in the US, and they don't play nice with each other, so a more likely scenario is that there would be 3-4 different "channels" like that, each of them charging $5-10 per week, each of them only offering a handful of the shows I care to watch, along with a bunch of other lame shows that I couldn't care less about.

Of course then you also have issues of "off weeks" that don't have episodes of certain shows, and "double weeks" that have doubles. Plus, I think I'd want to avoid paying for filler episodes of Bleach and One Piece just in general, even if they were offered at half price. Which they wouldn't be.

Quote:
Odd thing I realized today. The only thing fansubs do for me is allow me to see anime faster.

I can watch just about any anime I want with On Demand. And it's free...

Yeah, it's not like I don't watch anime on tv just because I've seen the fansubs. I've rewatched every ep of Naruto, Bleach, FMA, Bebop, One Piece, etc. that ends up on CN, but not everything does, and most of those shows were/are released 12-48 months behind.

Quote:
My question is, what would be the right thing to do? What through the filler until Shippuden hits the U.S? Or just watch Shippuden?

Better question is what should Viz do, release the filler, knowing it's horrible and will likely kneecap the franchise, or just show the good stuff? Wink Personally, I think their best option is to skip the filler and roll right into Shippuden (which shouldn't happen for another year or so yet), and then offer the filler epsisodes in a softer timeslot as "Naruto Chronicles" or whatever, like they did when they skipped the middle of DBGT and then showed them later as "lost episodes".

Quote:

Buying it at cost doesn't seem all that supportive to me. I mean, are we real fans or just fair-weather fans? Many folks here get to enjoy their endless fansubs while I only get to see half of Kodocha even though in my mind I'm the one actually putting my money where my mouth is. It just seems like kind of a bad situation to me. But, there's obviously nothing that can be done to change that and apparently no will to change any of it anyway. Hopefully I'm just off base though and most anime fans in America just happen to dislike Kodocha. I could live with that a lot better than knowing they liked it but were just too damn stingy to actually pay for it.

Both are true. Most anime fans in America probably don't like Kodocha (assuming they've heard of it). It's a fun series, but it's fairly niche too, certainly no blockbuster. But also, a lot of people who watched fansubs of it probably didn't buy it, and being a niche product in the first place, that hurt it a lot more commercially than it would something like Bebop or FMA.

But then, it's not a hugely fansubbed series either. I'm not really seeing it available anywhere now, and I only got ahold of the first 20-odd episodes back in the tape days.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:42 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Quote:
I think the official source would USUALLY be better served by charging a price for the service and having a variety of items available, like a channel you pay for. I think people would be more likely to pay $10 for a channel that gets a new episode of 2 of the favorite series each week, rather than $1-2 per episode.

It really depends. I'm currently watching fansubs for 13 series, give or take. At the prices I suggested, that would be $13-26 per week. If I could watch all those shows on a serivice for less than that for week (assuming the above points on quality and distribution) then I'd be fine with that.

The problem would be that of those shows the rights are probably handled by about a half-dozen or more companies in Japan, and would be split between the 3-4 major US companies if released in the US, and they don't play nice with each other, so a more likely scenario is that there would be 3-4 different "channels" like that, each of them charging $5-10 per week, each of them only offering a handful of the shows I care to watch, along with a bunch of other lame shows that I couldn't care less about.

They may be handled by several studios but they may run on a single CHANNEL. I'm saying make the equivalent of NBC (say NHK or TBS) available as a stream online, even if you have to delay broadcast on the stream channel to 6-12 hrs behind actual, that's minimal impact AND probably optimum to US anyway since Tokyo is about half a day off us in time zone anyway.

As for what you watch, it's up to you if you want it badly enough. This is what the "phonebooks" in Japan are for. You might only want Shounen JUMP for Naruto, but you get Bleach, Eyeshield 21, etc. etc. and you may even find you LIKE 2 other series in there. Which EVENTUALLY makes it "win-win". If you're buying shows "a la carte" what are the odds you're going to buy a show you don't know. But if you're already paying for the channel, what're the odds that you'll watch a show you've never heard of because "who knows, it MIGHT be good, and I'm already paying for the channel anyway and have nothing better to do". (it's what I do with US cable TV all the time)
Quote:

Quote:
Hopefully I'm just off base though and most anime fans in America just happen to dislike Kodocha. I could live with that a lot better than knowing they liked it but were just too damn stingy to actually pay for it.

Both are true. Most anime fans in America probably don't like Kodocha (assuming they've heard of it). It's a fun series, but it's fairly niche too, certainly no blockbuster. But also, a lot of people who watched fansubs of it probably didn't buy it, and being a niche product in the first place, that hurt it a lot more commercially than it would something like Bebop or FMA.

I think it's more a question of "too little, too late". Kodocha was big "back in the day", but the fans moved on and now when it's getting a release former fans just aren't that motivated. (In my opinion) Part of the reason Sailor Moon didn't quite see the sales it should have is because when they FINALLY released full series sets (or even all but a few episodes) the fans had moved on to other things. They loved it "back when" but now they were into other stuff and weren't gonna pay for something they liked several years ago simply out of "obligation". It'd be like if Bandai waited another five or so years and released Haruhi in 2012 or later. There are people that love it that will buy it anyway, but many people that would buy it NOW (whether they've watched it or not) aren't gonna feel that urge to buy it that much later.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:54 am Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
Now as you've said in the past, being poor isn't an excuse for stealing, but it does explain why a lot of us exercise "smart shopping" with Rightstuf sales and the like. That's better than not buying at all, right?

Buying it at cost doesn't seem all that supportive to me.

The anime companies are probably getting the same amount for each copy regardless (some exceptions maybe, like if you are only buying at Bargain Bin/clearance sales). Regardless of where you get it, the anime companies are getting, at best, 50% of the MSRP. It's probably more like 30-40%. The rest goes to the stores and any middlemen that may be involved. There might be some variance or discounts of bigger bulk shipments for major anime retailers like RightStuf, but its probably very small difference (per disc). It's not like the companies are getting $17 per volume from Best Buy and $10 per volume from RightStuf.

Basically, how much a fan is paying for their DVDs isn't going to make a difference. Waiting several years for the singles to be put on clearance (like the TRSI Bargain Bin) for everything or only buying boxsets instead of singles makes a difference, but I don't think very many people on either site do that for most or all of their purchases.

Quote:
Many folks here get to enjoy their endless fansubs while I only get to see half of Kodocha even though in my mind I'm the one actually putting my money where my mouth is. It just seems like kind of a bad situation to me. But, there's obviously nothing that can be done to change that and apparently no will to change any of it anyway. Hopefully I'm just off base though and most anime fans in America just happen to dislike Kodocha. I could live with that a lot better than knowing they liked it but were just too damn stingy to actually pay for it.

Kodocha failed because there was little support outside the hardcore fans and shoujo usually does poorly in America. It had nothing to do with how much any given fans chose to pay for their Kodocha DVDs. Waiting for boxsets instead of buying the singles may have had some effect, but I suspect that it was insignificant and even if those people had bought the singles, it wouldn't have been enough to safe Kodocha. Of course, its impossible to say either way since we don't know how well it actually sold or how much it needed to sell in order to justify releasing the second half.

Quote:
But also, a lot of people who watched fansubs of it probably didn't buy it, and being a niche product in the first place, that hurt it a lot more commercially than it would something like Bebop or FMA.

But the fansubs for Kodocha weren't easy to find and most people probably never saw the fansubs or had an interest in it to begin with.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:58 pm Reply with quote
jackal912 wrote:
Three - I'm one of those people who believes that most voice actors in dubbing are totally awful - it rarely captures the real feel of the moment, especially since so many tend to resort to monotone voices even in the most dramatic of situations - the original japanese with subtitles isn't as common as it should be.

Not buying something because you personally do not like (or are determined not to like) an audio track that you don't have to listen to is not an excuse. Or do you think it is perfectly fine to download an album off the internet rather than buy it because you don't like all of the tracks on it?
Dub-only discs are an extreme minority (mostly consisting of shows where the target audience is children who on the whole are unlikely to appreciate subtitles) and an endangered species even here in the UK. "Original Japanese with subtitles" is not only common but the norm, unless you are incapable of navigating a DVD menu or pressing the audio button on the remote. May I also recommend some Bandai Visual titles which don't even have the inconvenience of a dub at all.. but oh dear, they would conflict with your first two points (expensive, and only two episodes per disc)

Quote:
Four - there's a /lot/ of bad anime out there, and it really sucks when you tossed 50 bucks on a series that turns out you hate. Indirectly, it discourages people to not even try anime they know aren't famous masterpieces.

I really don't understand what you are getting at here. Do you walk into a random film at the cinema, knowing nothing about it, then complain because you didn't like it? I imagine not. You will probably have seen trailers or listed to what others had to say about it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:29 pm Reply with quote
But the Media-Blasters sub-only DVDs are selling for cheaper than standard dual-language DVDs. Bandai Visual is just being...Bandai Visual. Still, I'd agree that "the dub is bad, so I won't buy it" isn't an excuse. I considered using that excuse for series like Crest/Banner of the Stars, but since I found it easy enough to completely ignore the English audio tracks on Love Hina and Fantastic Children, I figured I could do so for those series as well. The more dual-language DVDs we buy, the more we support funding better dubs, as in ones not done in Singapore.

Still, I see this "dubbing ruins anime" argument a lot...on one of the many Lucky Star threads on /c/. someone said, "Man, they really need to hurry up and show this on Adult Swim" and Anonymous replied "Or you could just download it like the rest of us before it gets ruined by dubbing." Adult Swim is one thing, but people seem to forget that when ADV or whoever releases it, it'll still have a Japanese track with subtitles Rolling Eyes
Porcupine

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:53 pm Reply with quote
How do people know that Kodocha failed?

For that matter, how do people ever know that any particular anime "failed" in the US market? To me, the only way to know about this is to look at DVD and manga sales figures, which companies do not usually report as far as I know.

How often Kodocha is discussed is not necessarily any indication of how well the show has done. The people who discuss anime tend to be heavy fansub-watchers, and it is arguable exactly what fraction of the anime DVD buyers are comprised of heavy fansub-watchers. To be honest, I would argue that it is 10% or less, but I have little way to prove or disprove that figure. It's just what I feel from observing and talking to people who I actually see buying anime in real life stores (which is not necessarily a perfect way either, as many people buy anime online as well and the viewer distribution may be different there).

For example, so far Haruhi has probably failed in the USA. But that's not what I see people saying. People think it is doing great because the fansub community loves it. But I do not see that reflected in store sales at all. It will be easier to judge how well Haruhi is doing in the USA when volume 3 comes out. One need only count how many copies of Haruhi Vol 3 any given Best Buy or Suncoast orders and compare with how many copies of Fate Stay Night Vol 5 or Karin Vol 3 are ordered, for example. That gives an idea of how well Haruhi does in the USA, not whether online people say they like it or not.

In the case of Kodocha, it's also shown for free on TV on Funimation channel every day. So it's impossible to say how well it is doing, really. The fact that it is shown so often on TV makes me think it is doing relatively well.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Guys, please keep this thread on the topic of ANN's stance on the industry and on fansubs, not comparing and contrasting AoD and ANN's forums, readership, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
daxomni

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:40 pm Reply with quote
cookie wrote:
Guys, please keep this thread on the topic of ANN's stance on the industry and on fansubs, not comparing and contrasting AoD and ANN's forums, readership, etc.

No need to be concerned. Just in case I haven't made myself entirely clear, I'm completely done discussing this. No, really, I've completely given up. There is absolutely nothing I could ever say or do that would have any impact whatsoever on the continued use of fansubs or on the number of DVD purchases or on any other aspect of the anime market or on ANN's stance or anything else. Outside of the Studio Ghibli line, the majority of my favorite titles have apparently been somewhere between outright failures and borderline failures. There is nothing that will ever change that during my lifetime so I'm willing to just let it go. Hopefully that will be enough to put this little controversy to rest from here on out.

At the risk of repeating myself here is a quote from my last post.

daxomni wrote:
Let's just agree to disagree; I don't have enough energy to keep this up. It's not like this was really going to go anywhere anyway and I don't sense any compromise in the making.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

As for what you watch, it's up to you if you want it badly enough. This is what the "phonebooks" in Japan are for. You might only want Shounen JUMP for Naruto, but you get Bleach, Eyeshield 21, etc. etc. and you may even find you LIKE 2 other series in there. Which EVENTUALLY makes it "win-win". If you're buying shows "a la carte" what are the odds you're going to buy a show you don't know. But if you're already paying for the channel, what're the odds that you'll watch a show you've never heard of because "who knows, it MIGHT be good, and I'm already paying for the channel anyway and have nothing better to do". (it's what I do with US cable TV all the time)

Well that's what freebies are for. If I'm paying for a channel of 20 shows, and only like 5 of them, then I'd consider that a bit of a waste, and don't have time to watch shows that I don't enjoy, so the other shows wouldn't mean much to me. Rather than that, I'd prefer to pay for the shows I DO want, and have some method of getting at least a couple episodes of new shows for free to, as you say, try them out, and then if I do enjoy them, buy them. I really don't buy any entertainment without watching some of it first if I can in any way help it.

Quote:

The anime companies are probably getting the same amount for each copy regardless (some exceptions maybe, like if you are only buying at Bargain Bin/clearance sales). Regardless of where you get it, the anime companies are getting, at best, 50% of the MSRP. It's probably more like 30-40%. The rest goes to the stores and any middlemen that may be involved. There might be some variance or discounts of bigger bulk shipments for major anime retailers like RightStuf, but its probably very small difference (per disc). It's not like the companies are getting $17 per volume from Best Buy and $10 per volume from RightStuf.

This is true. Kinda. The problem is, if you only buy anime at a discount, then the stores don't feel that THEY are getting their money's worth out of selling anime. They take a big hit on any DVD sold at or near cost, because they get almost no profit, and had to hold that DVD on the shelves for a while, which annoys the hell out of them. And if they don't feel they are getting their money's worth, they won't stock as much of it. And if they don't stock as much of it, then the anime company doesn't get as much money. So basically, if you only buy anime at the minimum price possible, you ARE hurting the industry relative to those who pay full price, you ARe cutting directly into the anime companies' profit margins.

Quote:
Or do you think it is perfectly fine to download an album off the internet rather than buy it because you don't like all of the tracks on it?

Who doesn't? You shouldn't have to pay for songs you don't enjoy.

Quote:

I really don't understand what you are getting at here. Do you walk into a random film at the cinema, knowing nothing about it, then complain because you didn't like it? I imagine not. You will probably have seen trailers or listed to what others had to say about it.

If I'm uncertain about whether I'll enjoy a movie, and downloading it is not an option, I might attend a matene showing, which is about 3/4 price. But even at full price, going to the movies (for a single person at least) is cheaper than most anime buy-ins. Trailers and word of mouth is not enough information to make an informed purchase on, at least not more than a few bucks.
ultrapostman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
How do people know that Kodocha failed?

For that matter, how do people ever know that any particular anime "failed" in the US market? To me, the only way to know about this is to look at DVD and manga sales figures, which companies do not usually report as far as I know.

I probably shouldn't say anything because I don't watch Kodocha, but I think that people think Kodocha failed because the second half of the series hasn't been licensed. In general, I think alot of people see anime series do great in Japan, but when it gets here the reception is disappointing. Thus they consider the series to have failed because it didn't meet their expectations, although aforementioned expectations may have been unreasonable. So you're right that you can't always prove that a series has failed, but fans tend to adopt a pessimistic view anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8