• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is the manga version always better than the anime version?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Delfina

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:48 am Reply with quote
i think it is the same situation when you read a book, then see the movie about the book, and the movie is better. Mostly because i beleive there are time limits, and certin things the animators and directors of the movies / animes think are unnecessary, or make the show too long..etc etc.. Alot of the companies put pressure on a movie /anime to make it a certin length. blah blah blah..

<_<..
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:12 pm Reply with quote
this question is a case by case question. not all anime will be superior to their manga counterparts and the same can be said vice versa. the quality of the adaption from manga to anime starts with how the director of the series wants to show the series in animated form. people have to remember that the manga-ka and the director of the anime are different people and that the direction the anime takes will be in some cases completely different than what the original manga-ka had intended. whether its a success or not is up to the individual experiencing the anime or manga.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
rockerboy1997137

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:07 pm Reply with quote
some time's yes some time's no.

in my opinion there just different some time's like take gals in the manga when ran change's because a sign fell when she was kicking it or something in the anime she played a game and miyu aya said the wished ran would do better in school some just don't like the change's they make.

and some time's there just more story some part's they have to cut out.
finalcloud

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:37 am Reply with quote
I when read Naruto manga it had different event does anime version had. But it still had same storyline does anime version had it. Confused
Lee1981

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:19 pm Reply with quote
From what I hear, the Elfen Lied anime is so much better than the manga and the manga is pretty stupid so I probably wouldn't even want to touch it.
ishmael

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:27 pm Reply with quote
I'd say no, of course not. Maybe there's a general tendency, but otherwise, no, it's no rule. I preferred My-Hime anime than My-Hime manga... I also think Death Note anime is awesome thus far, I'd say it's on par, or close, to the manga.
larrykins

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:02 am Reply with quote
I share your sentiments...manga here in the Philippines are really expensive especially those that were licensed by US companies. In any case, I have an opinion to share with what your post aired-out. Some animes are faithful enough to follow the manga while some animation studios do a version of their own.

One example is this: When RK was made into an anime, the series faithfully followed the manga with minor changes; however, after the Shishio Arc, the manga was not yet through so the animators did a version of their own causing the ratings of the series to dwindle and eventually die. The effect was that the last episode of the anime series had not been aired because its popularity died out. Many RK fans faithfully followed the manga instead where it featured the most awaited Revenge arc.

Another example is the case of Fruits Basket and Ouran High School Host Club. Both manga were turned into animation despite the fact that the manga is on-going. The result was that, they had to end it with just one season. The catch is, the anime series followed what was in the manga.

Most of CLAMP and Rumiko Takahashi's work were turned into animation despite of the fact that the manga is still being published. What some animators do to stay faithful with the story of the manga is they insert filler episodes until the next arc from the manga has been created or published. Take Naruto as an example Smile

Hmmm so it really depends on the animators and the viewers actually but to be honest, the manga is a lot better than the anime however, it is quite exciting to see your favorite manga title in full color ne?
CSousuke

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Well, most of the time the manga is better than the anime. HOWEVER, some of the manga that are adapted from the anime, such as Samurai Champloo, weren't as good as the manga (but still readable).
fruitsbasket94

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Surprised I think that the manga version is almost always better then the anime version. I like to read Trinity blood. I think that the manga is more enjoyable to read. But I tried to read Bleach, but I really like the anime better then the manga. I also like to watch Naruto and not read the manga. It all depends. Like in Furuba, the anime is not as good. They leave out sooo much! Confused
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:04 am Reply with quote
Yes and No,from me as well.

Yes,cause the story the creator makes,is how they envisioned it*,and can edit later when(or if)it is popular enough to get an anime.

No,on the action side of it(depending on what you read.)If you read enough manga you can start to see the manga play out like an anime,but most the time you can't get a real grip on the 3-d look of the room or area they are in like,an Anime can give you.

*There are many instances that Manga and Anime that were made were planned to stand alone but get their own Anime or Manga spinoff.Even Cloverfield got a 4ch Manga.
Masked Devil

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, generally the manga version will usually be better than the anime. It is the intended format of the manga-ka. Anime based on manga's usually have lots of filler to take up the minutes that simply copying a manga scene-by-scene. DBZ was horrible with this with all it's filler. I swear, there must be like a 60 to 40 ratio of story-to-filler for the anime version of Dragon Ball Z. Also, most comedies don’t translate well when adapted to anime from manga. The Ranma 1/2 comic is pretty funny, where the show just comes off as stilted
Unmei No Deai

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:20 pm Reply with quote
It's really a matter of personal taste and depends on the series in question. Some plots are better portrayed on paper, while others stand out once they're animated.
eternal-song

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:00 pm Reply with quote
i think the main reason that the manga is usually better is because it's the artist's original conception, done the way they wanted it to be done. whenever something is adapted into another form of media, those doing the adapting tend to mess with it and change it. it's equivalent to turning novels into movies; never in my life have i seen a movie stay completely true to the book, and that is probably what puts people off the anime.

also, anime tends to put a lot of filler into the episodes; it gets tiring to see the 3rd Hokage and Orochimaru locking in a staring contest shouting "i'll defeat you" "no, i'll defeat you first" at eachother for 8 or so episodes, or to see Inuyasha and the gang go to save yet another poor village from destruction when they could be whooping Naraku's @$$.

on the other hand, if a manga comes after, it tends to be... lacking. for instance, Wolf's Rain. the manga swept through the episodes so fast that you would finish a chapter and think "now what the heck just happened?" so, i think it all depends on which is the artist's original idea.
baby gurl

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:07 pm Reply with quote
well to be manga is way beter dan anime tho sometimes anime hav more details dan manga but still who cares
elloshiions

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:45 pm Reply with quote
personally, i don't always think that the manga version is better than the anime version. both of them sometimes go in completely different directions, like no completely, but they cover the material in different ways, making them both so interesting. the only reason i would think that manga is better would probably because it goes more in depth. anime is just cool to watch in action and all that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7