• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Santaman! [2007-12-14]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:56 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
GATSU wrote:

What about Millennium Actress or Innocence?

I'm a little surprised that you think Innocence was seriously award-caliber. Millennium Actress was good, but it wasn't really that special. Kon has made better films before and since.

Seriously, Innocence? That movie was a self-indulgent, pretentious wreck.

I am afraid I have to agree with you on Innocence. It was really pretty moving pictures with some occasional talking heads. I thought some of the CG might have made for a nice screensaver or something. I am starting to wonder about IG and GITS. Innocence sucked, and SAC has some of the uggliest CG since Initial D Stage 1. Its like its some Gonzo film
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:49 am Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:

Ratatouille had a good story, pretty decent voice acting, and the animation was very nice indeed. Plus as a fellow chef I have to give it 2 thumbs up just because of the message in the movie, which is one I've told friends and people I know for years.
I hope that message isn't that it's alright for rats to be running round in your kitchen and interfering with other peoples food.

I just don't understand how Sony handles their anime releases. If I were Kon I would be right pissed at the way they handled Paprika in the US and here in the UK. I mean if Ratatouilli was treated the same way it to wouldn't have had a chance of winning either.

Innocence was just Oshi having another GiTS wank.

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
indrik

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:11 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
No, it wasn't a port, but there was one for the PS1.

Sorry, I used the wrong term. Not a port, it was obvious what engine it was based on. It was essentially a skin for Half Life or Deus Ex, or something like that. I don't remember now.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:19 pm Reply with quote
ZeroRyoko1974 wrote:
Zac wrote:
GATSU wrote:

I'm a little surprised that you think Innocence was seriously award-caliber. Millennium Actress was good, but it wasn't really that special. Kon has made better films before and since.

I am afraid I have to agree with you on Innocence. It was really pretty moving pictures with some occasional talking heads. I thought some of the CG might have made for a nice screensaver or something. I am starting to wonder about IG and GITS. Innocence sucked, and SAC has some of the uggliest CG since Initial D Stage 1. Its like its some Gonzo film

Okay, I'll agree that Innocence was basically a two-hour visual-effects "let's see what all the buttons do" trip with Akio Ohtsuka and Kouichi Yamadera quoting the bible non-stop, but since when does SAC have ugly CG? I thought it was beautifully done, and very well integrated with the cell animation and backgrounds. The movements of the various tanks and things and the characters' interactions with the CG computer screens are just fantastic to watch. Ugly CG is like what's in Arjuna and Galaxy Angel, where it's in there for no discernible reason and sticks out like a sore thumb.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
psycho 101 wrote:

Ratatouille had a good story, pretty decent voice acting, and the animation was very nice indeed. Plus as a fellow chef I have to give it 2 thumbs up just because of the message in the movie, which is one I've told friends and people I know for years.
I hope that message isn't that it's alright for rats to be running round in your kitchen and interfering with other peoples food.

I just don't understand how Sony handles their anime releases. If I were Kon I would be right pissed at the way they handled Paprika in the US and here in the UK. I mean if Ratatouilli was treated the same way it to wouldn't have had a chance of winning either.

Innocence was just Oshi having another GiTS wank.

After some kitchens I've seen of my friends/family having rats make the food would be an improvement mate heh.

But no, that's not the message I was referring to. Wink
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:10 am Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:
ZeroRyoko1974 wrote:
Zac wrote:
GATSU wrote:

Okay, I'll agree that Innocence was basically a two-hour visual-effects "let's see what all the buttons do" trip with Akio Ohtsuka and Kouichi Yamadera quoting the bible non-stop, but since when does SAC have ugly CG? I thought it was beautifully done, and very well integrated with the cell animation and backgrounds. The movements of the various tanks and things and the characters' interactions with the CG computer screens are just fantastic to watch. Ugly CG is like what's in Arjuna and Galaxy Angel, where it's in there for no discernible reason and sticks out like a sore thumb.

You beat me to this. Razz

As much as I would love to see The Girl Who Leapt Through Time nominated for an Academy Award, I believe that if it wasn't nominated this year, it's not going to be eligible next year. Unfortunately, it only JUST got licensed, so it's way too late for that. Other than that, I sincerely doubt Bandai would really want to spend the money necessary to promote it as an Academy Award nominee if it were even possible for it to get nominated anyway, so I think we're mostly just dreaming.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:31 am Reply with quote
Zero:
Quote:
I am afraid I have to agree with you on Innocence. It was really pretty moving pictures with some occasional talking heads.

Oh, I'm sorry. Maybe Kusanagi should be in a coma with Batou wanking over her so you'll consider it more "deep". Rolling Eyes

Quote:
I am starting to wonder about IG and GITS.

Why? They do decent adaptations of a tech-intensive manga in ways which don't make you feel confused or treated like an idiot.

Mohawk:
Quote:

I just don't understand how Sony handles their anime releases. If I were Kon I would be right pissed at the way they handled Paprika in the US and here in the UK.

I think Kon's just happy it made it to the U.K., since I hear anime doesn't make much money there, anyway. As for how it was handled in the U.S., Sony did a pretty good job of advertising it, and it grossed more than his other films here, which is probably all anyone could expect. If you want to talk about being screwed over, look at how Millennium Actress was handled.

Cowboy: That's not how it works. It has to be submitted, after getting a brief theatrical run; and it can't have been previously released on home video or broadcast on tv.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:13 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Mohawk:
Quote:

I just don't understand how Sony handles their anime releases. If I were Kon I would be right pissed at the way they handled Paprika in the US and here in the UK.

I think Kon's just happy it made it to the U.K., since I hear anime doesn't make much money there, anyway. As for how it was handled in the U.S., Sony did a pretty good job of advertising it, and it grossed more than his other films here, which is probably all anyone could expect. If you want to talk about being screwed over, look at how Millennium Actress was handled.
Oh yeah, that's right Sony had Paprika in at least half as many US cinemas as the rat chef was in. We had one art house showing in the wee small hours in subbed form only. Yeah I'd be just skipping off the the bank to make some large withdrawls from all that exposure if I were Kon. Millenium Actress got more showings here then Paprika.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:47 am Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
I've always sort of hated the "Best Animated Feature" category of the Oscars because it just sort of proves to me the idea that an animated film could never be considered worthy enough to contend with the live action fare for all the other categories. Then again, the Oscars are kind of a crackpot popularity contest in some sense anyway. Not that it isn't nice for something to be recognized though.

I think it's a good category, if only because only one animated film has ever been up for Best Picture, and it didn't win. Also, I think it is good to recognize the differences between live action and animated works, because they rely on very different skill sets and in the end are actually quite different.

But mainly I like it because it means animated films can actually win something.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I mean if Ratatouilli was treated the same way it to wouldn't have had a chance of winning either.

Doubt that. Pixar has a level of prestige that would lead to voters checking it out even without hype.

Mohawk52 wrote:
Oh yeah, that's right Sony had Paprika in at least half as many US cinemas as the rat chef was in. We had one art house showing in the wee small hours in subbed form only. Yeah I'd be just skipping off the the bank to make some large withdrawls from all that exposure if I were Kon. Millenium Actress got more showings here then Paprika.

Yeah because it could have held at least that many theaters. No. And why the continuous comparison to Ratatouille? Paprika was eligible last year, not this year like Ratatouille (which btw, I adored Paprika to bits but I did feel Ratatouille the better film).

Anime movies aren't a viable market in America at theaters. Simple as that. There's no need to act zomgopressed about it because the companies are gypping them so bad. They do what brings them profit. I went to see Paprika on a Friday night at a busy theater and we were the ONLY people in the theater. It was taken out after a week because no one was interested. Had the movie been more well received, the run would have been longer.

Honestly it's a great film, but not only are anime movies not that big over here- this one especially, was extremely surreal and held an R rating. It's not something a lot of non-fans are going to be interested in checking out. Be happy we got it at all.
TheVok

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:57 pm Reply with quote
kazenoyume wrote:

Anime movies aren't a viable market in America at theaters.

Fair enough, but in the end that should have nothing to do with whether or not they get nominated for Oscars.

As others have pointed out, 'Triplets of Belleville' got a lot of exposure from the Oscars, so it probably comes down to campaigning. And campaigning is probably more of a film-by-film issue than a studio-by-studio one; perhaps Sony did more for 'Triplets' as it was a quirky international co-production, whereas marketing efforts for 'Paprika' may have been mainly focused within the Japanese market.

Certainly the familiarity of the novel upon 'Paprika' was based (which seems very hard to come by hereabouts) would have given the movie a big boost in its domestic market that could not be replicated elsewhere ....
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:11 pm Reply with quote
kazenoyume wrote:
Had the movie been more well received, the run would have been longer.

I'm not sure if you're just talking about your particular theater, but for the coverage it got, it was very well-received. I believe I read that the week the last Pirates movie came out, Pirates was the only movie to gross more money per theater than Paprika in the US.

Also, I meant to say this earlier, but I like the Santaman banner. I know it's recycled, but I've missed Howl, especially in his holiday garb.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:24 am Reply with quote
TheVok wrote:

Fair enough, but in the end that should have nothing to do with whether or not they get nominated for Oscars.

As others have pointed out, 'Triplets of Belleville' got a lot of exposure from the Oscars, so it probably comes down to campaigning.

Well I agree with that, but campaigning for a movie costs money and Sony is not going to spend money campaigning for Paprika that they don't believe they can make back. And they probably wouldn't be able to make it back. I guess I understand what you all mean by "Sony should push more," but I can't blame them. People seem to have issue with the idea that they aren't going to do something if it won't bring them money. I don't. It's a company, their job is to bring in profits.

If you want to fault Sony though, I can sort of see it, but faulting the Annies, Globes, and Oscars for gypping anime really chaps me. I often don't agree with their decisions, but I don't agree they gypp anime.

Triplets of Belleville is a movie that would have held a more broad appeal to the general audience than the unique Paprika. I think Paprika is an excellent example of some anime being an acquired taste. It's just too strange for a general audience over here.

And of course Paprika was an art film in Japan as well, not something the general audience saw, which I think some people don't quite see. It feels like people act like Kon is almost on the level of Ghibli to the Japanese public sometimes.

Quote:
I'm not sure if you're just talking about your particular theater, but for the coverage it got, it was very well-received. I believe I read that the week the last Pirates movie came out, Pirates was the only movie to gross more money per theater than Paprika in the US.

I remember that, and they increased the amount of theaters when that happened so more cities got it over the next couple of months. They did not increase it beyond what would sell tickets though, which is why it stopped where it did. When it reached my city (I live in a big city) it was playing to empty theaters (I spoke to a few other friends who saw it and their experience was similar). Sony didn't put a clamp on it to prevent it from selling more tickets, it stopped selling tickets on its own. Just because it sold out a few art house theaters in May doesn't mean it should have received a wide release. Jmho.
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Not even a mention of the recent DBZ game franchises? Both Tenkaichi and Budokai are not just "good for anime games" they're actually very good franchises. I actually almost can't wait to get Tenkaichi 3. Naruto games might be slowly purifying the stock of anime games but DBZ has already broken free of the "it's anime so it's crap" label.
TheVok

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:43 pm Reply with quote
kazenoyume wrote:

Well I agree with that, but campaigning for a movie costs money and Sony is not going to spend money campaigning for Paprika that they don't believe they can make back.

Just to be clear, though, I'm talking about campaigning for an Oscar nomination, not advertising for a theatrical run.

Quote:
People seem to have issue with the idea that they aren't going to do something if it won't bring them money. I don't. It's a company, their job is to bring in profits.

Of course. The Oscars are great for visibility, though. If you're nominated, all of a sudden the mass audience has heard of you. The potential for new profits is very strong by association.

Quote:
It's just too strange for a general audience over here.

... which should never stop a film from being nominated for an Oscar. The goal of the awards is not to honour movies on the basis of serving a general audience; if they did, the big winners each year would simply be whatever made the most money at the box office.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7