• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Title translations, or lack thereof (rant).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:43 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Regarding Mahou Shoujotai Arusu / Tweeny Witches: I think the Japanese side chose that title, rather than Media-Blasters.

I think it would have to be a Japanese reference as I remember seeing that stupid "Tweeny Witches" on fansubs of the series, too.

frentymon wrote:
I think too many people here are making an assumption that fansubbers care about this issue.

The truth is, they don't, really. It's not like they put an awful lot of thought as to what they release their titles as, they just pick whatever and roll with it. If they were taxed 50 cents for every episode they didn't release with an English-translated title, I'm sure they'd translate every single one of their releases. But the truth is, fansubbers don't have to care about snaring their audience and trying to maximize profits in which case the title they pick would actually matter.

I agree 100% with your assertion that fansubbers, in particular, may not care. But, why should it always come to, when criticizing fansubbing practices, the fact that many are not getting paid? Why not do it because you're going to be "trusted" with translating the episode titles, dialog titles and songs, what the hell is one more phrase?

frentymon wrote:
But in the end, is this really such a big thing that we believe fansubbers should create a Council of Anime English Naming prior to every new season that comes out? Or have influencial groups translate large numbers of titles into English because it's an eyesore to a minority of fansub watchers?

I don't think there should be some naming council or convention; if there are different, legitimate translations available (The Secret of Whatever Nogizaka or Whatever Nogizaka's Secret), then the group should choose whichever it feels comfortable with. The point is, that it's translated.

As far as it being an eyesore to a minority of fansub watchers, we've had people in this very thread who were more hesitant to check out a series because of a more incomprehensible name. Some people will download whatever willy-nilly and as word of mouth spreads, then people may check out titles they were hesitant about before. I just see it as a whole scenario that can be avoided with an extra five minutes worth of work on behalf of fansub groups. Of all of my complaints about fansubs, this is pretty near the bottom of the barrel.

Although, this does make me wonder - I wonder if I can pull up C-Ko's Tape database on archive.org (or, if it's freakishly still up) and do a comparison with a modern fansub tracker and compare the number of translated v. untranslated titles listed on each to see if this is a new trend and how much of an impact it seems to have on fandom...
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:36 pm Reply with quote
SalarymanJoe wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
Regarding Mahou Shoujotai Arusu / Tweeny Witches: I think the Japanese side chose that title, rather than Media-Blasters.

I think it would have to be a Japanese reference as I remember seeing that stupid "Tweeny Witches" on fansubs of the series, too.

I knew it as Tweeny Witches before it even aired, I'm sure that was the title used in the news article here when it was announced.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:

How can 2 terms be equally informative when you don't even understand one of the terms.

Because understanding the definition of the English word doesn't give you any real understanding of how it applies to the series, and in fact misleads you as to the actual contents of the series.

Quote:
I mean if I said qignuirgt and replaced it with the word blue how would you know that the first word is the same as the second?

I wouldn't, but if you handed me an apple, and said "this apple is blue" or "this apple is qignuirgt ", I would find you equally as helpful in either case, because in neither did you tell me that it was red.

[quote]In the cases of YYH and FY, they were originally released with the prominent subtitles of "Ghost Files" and "The Mysterious Play"/quote]

Yeah, which is why I pointed out how much better off they were with their original titles.

Quote:

As for "The Japanese don't put Japanese names in Western order," see here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNM0YDFQbys

That would be more helpful if I knew what I was looking for.

Quote:
That's not always true. When the Japanese spell their names using the Roman alphabet, they will reverse the name ordering to use the Western format.

For examples, check out the individual character pages from these official anime web sites' character summary page:

Well now it just gets more confusing.

Quote:

The exact same part that Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu does. Irony much?

That's my point, actually.

Quote:
As for Fushigi Yuugi, I've never heard of it myself, nor does anything about the title encourage any interest in me.

Nor would I expect it to, it's a title, title's don't amount to much, but word of mouth and promotional materials would either interest you in the show or not.
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:43 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Quote:

The exact same part that Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu does. Irony much?

That's my point, actually.

So, replacing an ironic statement at which the viewer may immediately be familiar with is not as good as keeping the same ironic statement, which is not as recognizable?

Ohoni wrote:
Quote:

How can 2 terms be equally informative when you don't even understand one of the terms.

Because understanding the definition of the English word doesn't give you any real understanding of how it applies to the series, and in fact misleads you as to the actual contents of the series.

It shouldn't apply to the series in any way other than it being the title. The title's the same thing whether its in English or Japanese. The fact of the matter is, no matter how its applied to the series, having some knowledge of a term in one language (melancholy) versus no knowledge of the term in another (yuuutsu) does not make them equally informative. The understood word conveys a meaning (no matter how inaccurate) and the other word conveys gobbledy-gook.

Not all anime have descriptive titles - should we ridicule Blue Comet SPT Layzner because it's about a blue robot and not about a blue comet (and, arguably, there's a lot of red, too, with Soviet bases on Mars tossed into the mix)? Should we chastise Dirty Pair because it uses a nickname they detest, rather than their actual call sign? Just what the hell does Touch have to do with baseball and youth romance anyway (other than a bunch of dirty jokes)?
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It shouldn't apply to the series in any way other than it being the title.

Then it really doesn't matter whether the words used are in Japanese or English. The only benefit they'd have in English is the ability to convey information.

Quote:
The understood word conveys a meaning (no matter how inaccurate) and the other word conveys gobbledy-gook.

Yes, but if it conveys misleading information then it would actually be of negative value, when compared to the word that conveys no information at all.

Quote:

Not all anime have descriptive titles - should we ridicule Blue Comet SPT Layzner because it's about a blue robot and not about a blue comet (and, arguably, there's a lot of red, too, with Soviet bases on Mars tossed into the mix)? Should we chastise Dirty Pair because it uses a nickname they detest, rather than their actual call sign? Just what the hell does Touch have to do with baseball and youth romance anyway (other than a bunch of dirty jokes)?

Nothing wrong with titles that don't convey proper information, just that in such cases they have no inherant value over words that convey no information at all.

Bubblegum Crisis is a great example. That's the official, Japanese name of the series, and yet explains nothing about the show. "Crisis" vaguely applies, but nobody even chews gum in the show. So in theory, they could change the name to anything that they want, translate it into Japanese, French, Pig Latin, pick words at random out of the dictionary, and it wouldn't make the new name any less accurate and meaningful than the original, so at that point we're left with two concerns, 1. Is the new title as aurally interesting and memorable as the old? 2. Are the two versions recognizable as being the same product?

Fushigi Yuugi would fail the former test, as it's far more distinctive than "Mysterious Play", and "Burst Angels" would fail the latter, as you'd never connect it to "Bakuretsu Tenshi" unless you either knew Japanese, or knew in advance that they were supposed to be the same show. Haruhi fails the first, in my ears, though it does at least succeed with the second, mainly because it includes a proper noun that was left intact.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Fushigi Yuugi would fail the former test, as it's far more distinctive than "Mysterious Play", and "Burst Angels" would fail the latter, as you'd never connect it to "Bakuretsu Tenshi" unless you either knew Japanese, or knew in advance that they were supposed to be the same show. Haruhi fails the first, in my ears, though it does at least succeed with the second, mainly because it includes a proper noun that was left intact.

You're full of crap, please stop.

Plenty of people know baku means explosion from shows like Azumanga Daioh ("bus gas blast"), and tenshi is pretty commonly heard in a number of anime, even the OP of Neon Genesis Evangelion. When would anyone have learned "Mysterious Play". I thought they were two separate shows.

As for which one is more aurally appealing, that's generally a matter of opinion, so you can't really argue facts on that.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Maybe we should try a different tactic here. If, in Ohoni's opinion, the comprehension of a title doesn't really have any bearing on one's interest in a series...how about its ability to be pronounced? I've heard people reference one recently-popular title starting with a 'U', and all I know about it is that it has about seven syllables that I can't wrap my tongue around without it becoming tied in a knot. Whether or not a title accurately conveys any major plot elements of a series, the simple ability to say its name aloud and communicate about it with other fans can't be downplayed. No matter what it means, people will have far less trouble remembering or communicating a title in their own language than a series of complex Japanese words. Hell, I know a few people who are viewing series that they can't even spell correctly consistently, and it's no real fault of their own.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Bubblegum Crisis is a great example. That's the official, Japanese name of the series, and yet explains nothing about the show. "Crisis" vaguely applies, but nobody even chews gum in the show.

Bubblegum Crisis is actually not a very good example, as its name rather specifically deals with its content, although admittedly exactly how it does isn't immediately obvious. As I've had it explained to me by a reliable source, the "bubblegum" part is a reference to the tension which exists on the surface of a blown bubble, and how it takes on a little prick (or other disturbance) to make it "pop." That's meant to be a metaphor for the potentially explosive situation involving Boomers which exists in 2031/2032/2040 Tokyo. But besides that, it's a catchy name guaranteed to attract attention.

Quote:
so at that point we're left with two concerns, 1. Is the new title as aurally interesting and memorable as the old? 2. Are the two versions recognizable as being the same product?

As others have mentioned, point #1 is so intensely subjective that it's hard to use as a reasonable criteria; for instance, you don't think the Haruhi series' English name passes on that point, while I do. Who's right? Depends entirely on your viewpoint, doesn't it?

I have less disagreement with point #2, although I do think you could have cited better examples on that one. ("Tenshi"= (literally) "Heaven spirit"="angel" is typically one of the earliest Japanese words that newcomers learn when they get into anime.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Quote:

As for "The Japanese don't put Japanese names in Western order," see here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNM0YDFQbys

That would be more helpful if I knew what I was looking for.

The character names are all written in western order when they appear in the OP. This is a lot clearer in the Clannad OP since the text is less stylistic. For a clearer example, here's Megumi Kadonosono's name, in western order, in her own handwriting:
http://www.kiddygrade.info/scans/continuity/12/index.php?image=page214.gif
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
_Emi_

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:35 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
I'm not even going into the fact that they didn't translate the character Arusu's name back to Alice.

They didn't translate her name back to Alice because it isn't Alice. You can find more information in the discussion for the V.1 review.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Maybe we should try a different tactic here. If, in Ohoni's opinion, the comprehension of a title doesn't really have any bearing on one's interest in a series...how about its ability to be pronounced?

As long as they can work up a functioning alternative, it's all good. Most complex titles have accepted contractions, like Kare Kano or Haruhi.

Quote:

Bubblegum Crisis is actually not a very good example, as its name rather specifically deals with its content, although admittedly exactly how it does isn't immediately obvious. As I've had it explained to me by a reliable source, the "bubblegum" part is a reference to the tension which exists on the surface of a blown bubble, and how it takes on a little prick (or other disturbance) to make it "pop." That's meant to be a metaphor for the potentially explosive situation involving Boomers which exists in 2031/2032/2040 Tokyo. But besides that, it's a catchy name guaranteed to attract attention.

Lol, gigadrill man.

Quote:

As others have mentioned, point #1 is so intensely subjective that it's hard to use as a reasonable criteria; for instance, you don't think the Haruhi series' English name passes on that point, while I do. Who's right? Depends entirely on your viewpoint, doesn't it?

That's the whole point of marketing, quantifying subjectivity.

Quote:

I have less disagreement with point #2, although I do think you could have cited better examples on that one. ("Tenshi"= (literally) "Heaven spirit"="angel" is typically one of the earliest Japanese words that newcomers learn when they get into anime.)

Well, I knew what they meant, but I thought the entire point people were making is that the names should be irrelvant of "Japanese snobs" who actually know a few words.

Quote:
The character names are all written in western order when they appear in the OP. This is a lot clearer in the Clannad OP since the text is less stylistic. For a clearer example, here's Megumi Kadonosono's name, in western order, in her own handwriting:

See, that would be an example of why that sort of thing gets confusing then, because they don't always flip names around. It would be best to stay consistant, and just leave everyone's names int he form they were originally found.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6