• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Revenge of the Special Edition

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:32 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
Being a hard core fan who bought almost nothing but Japanese R2 Limited editions, I have a few things to say.

I'm not a hardcore, R2 only collector, but I have the ef ~ a tale of memories volume 1 limited edition, and it's insane how much stuff is included in it. The prices may be a lot higher than ours, but for their LEs, they're getting great product.

Fifth B wrote:
My God. I've been collecting for about five years now, and I'm proud of my collection, but yours puts me to shame. I tip my hat to you, fine sir!

Thank you very much. I take great pride in my collection, so it does mean a lot that it's finally reached a point of being respected by fellow collectors.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Brakus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I've cherished my (original) Fullmetal Alchemist collector tins. They came out with 3 of them, and each contained 1 volume and could hold up to 4 or 5. They also came with soundtrack CD's.... and there was so much good music from the show, there was a different soundtrack CD in each collector tin. I also cherish my special edition FMA Conqueror of Shamballa-- after taking off the slipcover, there was a hardcover booklike case, 2 discs w/Japanese & English commentaries and other bonus features, a set of art cards in a very nice envelope, and a printing of the booklet that (I gather) came with the release in Japan, translated into English.

Fullmetal Alchemist (and to a lesser degree, FMA-Brotherhood) is a series that I love to revisit. And I like that there are different ways to enjoy the series. The original 2003-4 series, the manga, and the newer 2009-10 series, as well as the first movie, and the upcoming FMA-B movies and OVAs. (I can't wait to see the 4-koma shorts dubbed into English!)

The other special editions I cherish are the Dragon Box releases that FUNimation has put out. It's the remastered version as done in Japan, in really nice hardcover cases as well as a hardcover booklet that has episode information and nice tidbits of trivia scattered throughout. The first 2 volumes are out of print (or extremely rare) - DBox 1 goes for $100+ on Amazon, while DBox 2 goes for at least $200+. DBox 4 looks like the next one to get very rare at this point, since you can't order it on rightstuf.com anymore, and Amazon has it for around $150+. As each successive volume gets rarer and rarer, the price of them will go up to a point and get truly valuable to a DBZ fan/collector.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:42 pm Reply with quote
The first series I ever bought was the LE Speed Grapher Vol. 1 artbox at Best Buy. I bought the first episode off of iTunes and liked it, so when I saw the artbox on the shelf at Best Buy my eyes lite up. When I opened the box and saw the cards that came with the volume I was hooked. I try and get LE's at all times, (as long as I have the money). My favorite LE's are the Oriemo LE, NISA's ToraDora boxes, the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya sets, the Wolf's Rain box with CD and the cute plushie, the Moonphase artbox with postcards and display book, the gorgeous psuedo-wood artbox for Kamichu! and I'm sure the Madoka Magica sets will be up there.

The series I like having but will probably only watch once: Witch Hunter Robin; cool box, really cool shot glass and nice shirt but the show was really slow.

The series I wish came with an artbox with extras:

Shakugan no Shana
Cowboy Bebop Remixes
SaiKano
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:45 pm Reply with quote
heh, funny old thing, life and memory...
I was just thinking that I'd love to see RahXephon remastered with a bluray... though I'm guessin' the days for that are long since over. I was listening to the OST of it the other day, and the music brings back scenes in my mind... I may have to watch it again soonish.

For LE/SE's my favorite is Katanagatari hands down. It has an art style that is perfect for those big honkin' boxes, and they take up an inordinate amount of space with my Toradora! sets next to them...

Other than that, most of the boxes like EVA Platinum are, you know, nice, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ not as meaningful to me... for one important reason.

When you start collecting [if you do] you don't have that many discs and space is spacious, and then this thing called TIME happens. You pick things up that you've heard of, and are on some cool sale... Mighta picked up Ah!My Goddess for $4 each when the first complete set came out... same with Chobits. And then I watched them and was happy with the sale. But 8 discs in full size DVD cases really start taking some space... Then you add Haruhi, Galaxy Police, and others. Suddenly space seems to be an issue.

So I bought a bunch of empty slim 2 DVD cases, and started combining stuff. I modded the liners where needed to fit the thinner cases... and skipped where needed.
Unfortunately this isn't "pretty" and my shelves have no symmetry over this... Some things I got a stack spindle [curse them precious!] and so I copied the liner and put it in individual slim doubles...

All so my collection is at hand, and small enough to be so. But not something that is a pretty display. I kept all the extras in storage, including the big heavy SE boxes, so nothing is lost, but not!pretty.

Now, seems like manufacturers have figured this out, and boxes come out OK even if mixed. My SekireiII LE came with a big enough box to put the first disks in, so it all goes on the shelf. It can work...

Favorite that I've only watched once? Moribito. I will watch again eventually, but I'm not going to double dip for BD's.

What do I watch over again? When I'm in need of comedy, Tenchi in all it's various forms. [That'd be Tenchi OVA's, Galaxy Police, Dual, El Hazard OVA's, unofficially Sekishi Monogatari] For whatever reason, it makes me laugh.
When I'm sick, Ah! My Goddess. It's a gentle show, and it takes care of you.
For space shows I tend to watch mumble,mumble,MacrossFrontier,mumble repeatedly. But you didn't hear that from me.

Except for my backlog, I've seen most of my collection 2+ times and most I'll watch again, but the larger the collection... the longer in between.

This get's back to Mike's original point.
For whatever reason, thanks to streams, the market is OPENING. There is now much more content. Good bad, or indifferent, there is SO MUCH out there.

I like my discs. My elderly Mac Mini will not stream, but I can save the stream, and transfer it to my bluray player to watch. It takes some finagling, but it can be done.

But. I am a big believer in paying back for great [to me] content. The minute I can pre order Fam The Silver Wing, I will. But we are a bridge generation. My daughter is already used to not owning content physically. Her children will probably only know that sort of thing if they ever visit a library, or their old curmudgeon of a grandfather.

But when they visit me, they will see a book, with words in it, or an original Bloom County lovingly re-glued several times. Or Katanagatari with a large book and slipcase. And perhaps it will seem like a better far-off time.
Hoofbites

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I don't miss single volumes, but I do miss feelies. I still have the plush Rafra from Infinite Ryvius, the NERV parking decal, all of the Eureka Seven shirts, the Haré+Guu afro wig, the GitS:SAC soundtracks and figurines, the Azumanga Daioh pins, and lots of other doodads, not to mention all of those lovely artboxes (including that weird book-shaped one for R.O.D. The TV that conveniently has enough space to store the original OVA).
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Haha, that Minna Agechau CPM fiasco was on the news. Heh, I've won artboxes from AnimeOnDVD that I don't even have DVDs for! So I gave those to people who needed 'em. Laughing

I've been saying consistently for years that, as anime has become more and more ubiquitous and cheap as local TV shows, it's also more and more treated just as common a commodity as TV shows. By the time ya finish watching a hundred shows, there's another hundred shows waiting for ya. When's the last time ya bought a TV show you're a fan of? That's how new fans feel.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Toole wrote:
I don't think DVDs will go away. What we're seeing now is the beginnings of them turning from cheap, plentiful, plasticky mass-market goodies to fancy boutique items-- at least, that's how I see it. If you love that new series so much you just have to own, it, you're probably gonna have to pre-order. But don't panic if you love DVD and blu-ray and have nightmares of going to Best Buy and seeing the entire section vanished.

My nightmare is going into a store and seeing all the anime dvds and blu-rays costing $80-100+ for less than 13 episodes a pop.

In fact, I already went through that nightmare in the mid 90s when Urusei Yatsura VHS volumes were going for $40-60 for 3 or 4 episodes a tape. Gawd, I hated those years. (As an anime consumer that is. My life in the 90s was great, though. Ironically, the 2000s were my favourite years as an anime fan, but my life was a mess. My anime consumer satisfaction level seems to be inversely proportional to the quality of my life) Laughing
Graddick

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
to urinating plush wolves (Wolf's Rain).

I've never seen that show, but is that what Wolf's Rain is about? Is that what the rain is?
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Graddick wrote:
Quote:
to urinating plush wolves (Wolf's Rain).

I've never seen that show, but is that what Wolf's Rain is about? Is that what the rain is?

Its not at all, which is one reason why the "urinating plush wolves" is such a hoot.

For myself, unless you count the Utena release, not a one. Looking at my shelf (singular), most of the releases are ones like Aria the Natural and Maria-sama ga Miteru, thinpack boxsets that were only ever going to get the one release. My girls with guns collection (have to hurry up an buy Canaan if Funimation is suing Sentai) is either regular sets on sale or SAVE releases.
Botan24

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:08 pm Reply with quote
TheTheory wrote:
But in terms of non-box extras, hands-down the best and most surprising was the hat I got with Desert Punk v.1/box.

Yeah, I totally forgot about that one! And I didn't even know I was getting the hat when I bought the artbox. Suffice to say I was surprised to find it stuffed inside along with DVD volume 1. I wear it whenever I get the chance. Smile
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:53 pm Reply with quote
[Disclaimer - I'm well over fifty and have been watching anime since the mid 2000s.]

Reading this thread leaves me with the feeling that the ANN membership is much older and wealthier than the general audience for contemporary anime. So much nostalgia is being expressed for shows that aired 5, 10, 20 years or even longer ago. When Funimation does its surveys, the top age category is something like 35+ with a lot of gradations between 12 and 30. How many of you here with large collections of shows that date back to the 1980's and 1990's are under the age of thirty?

Despite my "advanced" age I have no such desire to put boxes and boxes of anime on a shelf. I own shows that I've found compelling and worth purchasing, but I buy them largely to encourage the licensors to pick up similar titles, and to reward the creators (even though they get just a tiny sliver of my funds after all the middlemen take their cuts). I find watching DVDs highly inconvenient compared to watching digital files so I'll often rip the DVDs or keep a fansub version for shows I own physically. (I have a computer connected directly to my HDTV so playing a digital file is considerably more convenient than watching a DVD.)

One of the biggest obstacles for someone like me buying anime is that the shows that interest me are generally not licensed in R1. I can count on my fingers the number of titles from the past couple of years that I would buy if they were available. The number of titles actually available is an even smaller portion of that list. I was shocked to see NISA pick up House of Five Leaves and have it on pre-order. Contemporary titles that would rank highly on my purchase list like Hyouge Mono will almost certainly not appear in R1. I'm also squarely in the group of people O'Toole talks about that re-watches only a small number of shows.

So, for me, the rise of legal streaming has been an enormous positive. I can watch something like Level E or Ikeko Meiro no Croisee and not feel like I have to engage in a shady activity to do so. Even when I buy DVDs I listen to the JP soundtrack with subtitles, so the absence of dubbing matters not at all. If someone in R1 were to import the JP release of the Mononoke Blu-ray set and add subtitles, I'd open my wallet. Now that the Blu-ray region includes both JP and North America, I'm waiting for the Japanese companies to start releasing BDs with English subtitles. My guess is we'll see some variation of this strategy appearing over the next five years.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
How many of you here with large collections of shows that date back to the 1980's and 1990's are under the age of thirty?

*raises hand*

Considering how new and young I am, I'd say I have a surprisingly large amount of shows from '79 - '99. Depending on how you count parts of a franchise like Slayers or Sailor Moon, I have more than 50 shows from before 2000. They're mostly short OVAs, but three of them are very long running (Ranma, Sailor Moon, and Yu Yu Hakusho) and I have several that are full TV series like Saber Marionette J or Nadesico. I've always preferred the look and feel of shows from the cel-animated era, but at the same time age doesn't really matter to me (unless I'm actively searching for a show from an earlier era).

If so many shows from the 80's and 90's weren't so hard to obtain I'd probably have a lot more. But by being a new fan I have to deal with some shows like Prefectural Earth Defense Force being very expensive if you can find it or some like CPM's version of Here is Greenwood that never even made the jump to DVD. Then there's stuff like Maison Ikkoku that went OOP almost as soon as I started really getting into buying anime, so I just barely missed it, and that really sucks.

Woe is me. Sob sob sob sob.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
reanimator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:31 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
reanimator wrote:
Being a hard core fan who bought almost nothing but Japanese R2 Limited editions, I have a few things to say.

I'm not a hardcore, R2 only collector, but I have the ef ~ a tale of memories volume 1 limited edition, and it's insane how much stuff is included in it. The prices may be a lot higher than ours, but for their LEs, they're getting great product.

Those ~ef~ extras look very beautiful. Definitely a high standard for companies who don't want to throw in expensive toys and trinkets.

That's why I envy Japanese fans so much. They have been getting SE/LE for two decades. When I started to collect Anime back in mid 1990's, R1 companies never offered SE or regular edition with a booklet. As a fan who has great interest in creative process behind the show, I was disappointed for a while. I still remember a quote from an old Right Stuf catalog putting down Japanese Macross: DYRL LD box as needlessly expensive compared to US anime VHS. Guess what? 15 years later, Japanese were right about their niche pricing and American naysayers got burned with their low-priced and overproduced videos.

The King of Harts wrote:
Fifth B wrote:
My God. I've been collecting for about five years now, and I'm proud of my collection, but yours puts me to shame. I tip my hat to you, fine sir!

Thank you very much. I take great pride in my collection, so it does mean a lot that it's finally reached a point of being respected by fellow collectors.

Maybe all of us collectors should create a site and post detailed pictures of our collections with detailed description. (Like Antique Roadshow...)
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:42 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
How many of you here with large collections of shows that date back to the 1980's and 1990's are under the age of thirty?

Me too. I didn't start getting into watching anime until 2004, but I'm 25 and I love watching older anime. Almost upon really getting into anime I was very quick to look around and fine titles that aren't new but catch my interest. Being only interested in what's new just seems useless to me, as there are literally decades of anime out there, many of which are really good. I guess it helps that two of my best friends, who helped get me into anime, are also fine with watching older titles and like to "rummage" around.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:07 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
...or some like CPM's version of Here is Greenwood that never even made the jump to DVD.

Is there any difference between CPM's version of Here is Greenwood and Media Blasters? Because you can get the DVD of it easily enough, although surprisingly it hasn't gone bargain basement like so many other titles. Still will run you $19 at Rightstuf.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8