• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Relinquishes Ro-Kyu-Bu! Home Video Rights

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:29 am Reply with quote
so does it means sentai lost the full rights of ro-kyu-bu anime & yet does also means any anime license company can pick up this anime?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:37 am Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
Scormio wrote:
It can't be reverse-importation, as Sentai was only doing a Sub-only DVD release.

Why not? It will be in Japanese, so the Japanese might import it much cheaper than they could buy it n Japan, if they have an R1 player.

I've said it before, I doubt the mighty, proud Japanese otaku would desire to import bare bones releases from North America. Japanese companies are just being paranoid.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:39 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
zensunni wrote:
Scormio wrote:
It can't be reverse-importation, as Sentai was only doing a Sub-only DVD release.

Why not? It will be in Japanese, so the Japanese might import it much cheaper than they could buy it n Japan, if they have an R1 player.

I've said it before, I doubt the mighty, proud Japanese otaku would desire to import bare bones releases from North America. Japanese companies are just being paranoid.

As I've said before, I doubt it effects the bigger titles. But how about lesser titles the otaku don't care enough about to pay 400 dollars for? Getting something for a very low budget price can make it more attractive. Reverse importation is a real thing.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:41 am Reply with quote
KLAC wrote:
so does it means sentai lost the full rights of ro-kyu-bu anime & yet does also means any anime license company can pick up this anime?

They just lost the rights to put on a DVD of the series. They still have the rights to to stream it on TAN.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:52 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
zensunni wrote:
Scormio wrote:

On Malaysian fan forums there are people who have friends in Japan that openly admit to preferring to buy R1 DVD releases.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:52 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
It sold an average of 6.5k, which is a solid success.

That depends entirely on the costs involved and what other revenue streams there are.

Chagen46 wrote:
I dunno about you, but TvTropes was seriously getting their panties into a twist about Lotte. I think they chose to ban it from the site eventually.

Lotte is gone for good. They also had a serious debate about whether they dare have an article about Strike Witches (which the BBFC passed with a 12) on their site...

Zalis116 wrote:
since when are Sentai's subs hardcoded into the videos?

They're not, but licensors sometimes insist on having the subtitles "locked" on as a measure to discourage reverse importation. I can see the same sort of person/committee who thinks this is a good idea getting skittish about how the content will be seen outside Japan... remember this?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:57 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
It sold an average of 6.5k, which is a solid success.

That depends entirely on the costs involved and what other revenue streams there are.

If 6.5k isn't a success for a low budget anime, then the industry would have been finished a while ago since most shows never get that high. We might only have 3 shows in Spring season to sell more than that.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:58 am Reply with quote
...damn this thread is near or close to 100 post I guess some wanted or are just curious about this issue. Whatever the reason is I can still see this series getting a release on dvd in the future, it might just be a another year or two.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:04 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I dunno about you, but TvTropes was seriously getting their panties into a twist about Lotte. I think they chose to ban it from the site eventually.

In fact, TV Tropes are shooting themselves in the foot, since there's an alternative, uncensored version of their site, and if they keep with that censoring style crap, they will going bankrupt in no time.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:23 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
zensunni wrote:
Scormio wrote:

As I've said before, I doubt it effects the bigger titles. But how about lesser titles the otaku don't care enough about to pay 400 dollars for? Getting something for a very low budget price can make it more attractive. Reverse importation is a real thing.

You got a point with lesser titles. But I doubt reverse importation is as big a problem as Japanese companies and some people in these forums think. Reverse importation might be real. I just have trouble picturing this scenario:

Japanese otaku A: look what I got

Japanese otaku B: what is that?

Japanese otaku A: a R1 release of (insert anime title)

Japanese otaku B: cool, I am buying a copy too

I could see perhaps this scenario playing out:

Japanese otaku A: look what I got

Japanese otaku B: what is that?

Japanese otaku A: a R1 release of (insert anime title)

Japanese otaku B: WTF, you are such a loser

Japanese otaku A: point taken; I will not buy crappy R1 releases ever again
superdry

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:29 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
I can see the same sort of person/committee who thinks this is a good idea getting skittish about how the content will be seen outside Japan... remember this?

Oddly enough, it was the Japanese version of the shirt cancelled while the English version was still produced. If someone on the production committee was skittish about the shirt being seen overseas, the English one should have been canceled too.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:05 pm Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:
Generally hardcore Malaysian anime fans would rather jump through all the hoops necessary to mail order R1 or R2 anime (warning: link to whole forum discussion, long thread) and totally ignore Hong Kong or Taiwan distributors. Even though it's possible to get legal anime distributors in Asia, the waters are so pirate and shark-infested that there's sometimes no telling the difference between the pirates and the legits.

I don't know what's wrong with user Silencers in the link you provided, but either he lived in a cave for the past decade, or he was spreading lies intentionally. Thesecond was the only user who knew what he was talking about.

dandelion_rose wrote:
(Edit: If you follow my link there is a post someone made mentioning legal Taiwanese anime distributors, but it probably says something when that's the only mention I could find anywhere. You've also got dodgy situations like this company that acquired the license to distribute the first season of Naruto but not the others, but continued selling bootlegs of later seasons that they hadn't acquired the license for, for a while. Can't find the story now. )

Naruto is the big milk cow of Mighty Media for many years, and I've never heard of anything like this. Judging from the poor quality of posts in the forum you provided (the spelling of many posters were so bad; almost dyslexic), I highly doubt the authenticity of this rumor.

If you want to discuss about Taiwanese licensees/distributors, start a thread in the Retail forum.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:37 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
HeeroTX wrote:

re: Reverse Importation, I could totally believe that's a factor though, considering I can show you a discussion thread right now about Japanese comparing the prices of Princess Tutu DVDs in Japan and America.

Got a link to it? Not that I don't believe you: I'm just really curious to see it.

http://togetter.com/li/310006

First comment: Amazon Japan (with link) 8800 yen, Amazon US (again, with link) 2300 yen
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:18 pm Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:
Quote:

In fact, TV Tropes are shooting themselves in the foot, since there's an alternative, uncensored version of their site, and if they keep with that censoring style crap, they will going bankrupt in no time.
At the very least they're driving away good users - essential for any wiki - with that bullcrap. I ended up leaving once FastEddie started a lot of drama over Token Loli's name(though that was more of the cinderblock that broke the camel's back - it was pretty well inevitable once he decided vandalism was a legitimate policy instrument).
Annf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:22 pm Reply with quote
The 2ch thread series for reverse-importing anime is currently at 37,751 posts
http://kohada.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/cartoon/1338217351/

Reverse-import wiki, with help for ordering from Amazon U.S.:
http://www34.atwiki.jp/anime-dvd/

Fantasium, one of the more well-known Japanese-language import shops for North American releases
http://www.fantasium.com/

Amazon Japan itself lists North American releases for sale. (Sold from partners, shipped by Amazon Japan w/free shipping.)
Here's a few random examples:
Infinite Stratos www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B006XDU7Y2/
Angel Beats www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B004XC5LHS/
Samurai Girls www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B0050I9760/
Full Metal Panic www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B003NE8B4M/
Broken Blade www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B0066O104Y/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10