• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimations Adds My Bride Is A Mermaid! Comedy Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailorsean

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:17 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
pparker wrote:
SongstressCela wrote:
Quote:
Highlights first would be nice, and forget the dub on SZS, just translate the blackboards.

Don't you DARE forget the dub! Consider at least one on the spot preorder gone if there's no dub. I don't care how referential a series it is.

Okay, okay! It can have a dub. I just probably won't watch it because I can't imagine losing most of the references.

It can have all the dub it wants, but it's not going to easily replicate the same feeling.

omnistry wrote:
YAY! One of '07's funniest comedies (behind Hayate) is finally coming here! Now let's hope they get a TV deal over here 'cause the humor is f**king golden!

Aside from satellite channels, there won't be any TV deal.

Have you NOT seen School Rumble?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I have, it seemed like a much easier show to dub.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
I can at least provide a counterpoint to this -- my hard-on for ginormous robots is very apparent, I hope, but some people will never ever even give a glance at Eva or FMP no matter what you tell them.

Not even glance at, or bash just because they're mecha? You complain about My Bride is a Mermaid based on the typical harem tropes, but so much of the show is based on character humor.
Also, the number of regular male characters is as high as the number of females, give or take depending what episode you're up to. That tends not to happen in most harem series, nor do parents often play such a prominent role (both parents for Nagasumi and San, plus Edomae) in the genre.
Without them, there goes at least half, if not most the crazy humor. And the series won't be as fun, let along it being memorable. Both San's and Luna's fathers sure got some over-the-top daughter complex, but that's why they're the best dads in the whole cast of nuts 'n blots.

Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
poehitman wrote:
PLEASE let them dub this! And PLEASE let them not suck on the cast choices as bad as The Familiar of Zero did!

I don't get why sub fans are so against a title being dubbed. It's not like they eliminate the subtitle and original japanese audio track. If you hate dubs, then change the audio to the original japanese and turn on the subtitles. It's not hard.

Welcome to the early 1990s, enjoy your stay
Hey! I heard Dennis Rodman is from that era, you think they might be related?[/semi sarcasm]
Jarmel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:37 pm Reply with quote
The comedy is essentially in the same strain as Meet the Parents except instead of a FBI dad you have a yakuza one.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:12 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I have, it seemed like a much easier show to dub.

I actually prefer the school rumble dub. Tenma imitating Harima's voice in the dub is just too funny.

SZS needs a dub too. I could think of a few ways the cast would work out well.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:24 am Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
I actually prefer the school rumble dub. Tenma imitating Harima's voice in the dub is just too funny.

Luci Christian was the high point of the School Rumble English dub for me. Overall, though, I think the Japanese dub sounded somewhat better, and Harima was a downright disappointment in English.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:03 am Reply with quote
I don't really have any problems with the translation of the title. Other than that, I'll simply add that I pity whoever chooses to view the dub and not listen to the Japanese track as well, for they will miss out on some sweet Halko Momoi (albeit with a funny accent).

Also, Lunar fan here. Razz
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:38 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Primus wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
ArthurFrDent wrote:
what I really hope is that Funi doesn't fail to learn the lessons of ADV, ie. licensing averything that moves...

And then dub it and then bitch at the fanbase when we don't buy it.

But unlike ADV, FUNimation has mainstream hits. One of the biggest titles in R1 this very day is a title that FUNimation licensed in the 90's, and was originally released in Japan in the 80's...

It was also on TV constantly for years in a primetime slot for children and tweens. Give more anime that chance they'd be huge too.

It only got that due to perserverance and luck on FUNimation's part. Since that show went through syndication with different voice casts, etc.

Besides, what titles have ADV licensed ever that could have achieved that success (they didn't license Saint Seiya, DiC did, if they did it could have been big)? I'd dare say Sgt. Frog because of things like the SpongeBob era. But they couldn't get their act together to give it a TV deal (they tried, and failed, but so did FUNimation with DragonBall, but unlike them, they battled through it and got DB on TV).

Yeah, FUNi got DBZ on TV, but to do that, they had to make a deal with the devil, so to speak (Saban), and at the time, fans crucified them for it. Would ADV make the same deal if need be? Neutral

LordRedhand wrote:
Actually it's quite simple to discount something, especially if it's a genre you don't like.

What... so who doesn't want hard sci-fi like so many anime fans of the 80s and early 90s? Very Happy

walw6pK4Alo wrote:

poehitman wrote:
I don't get why sub fans are so against a title being dubbed. It's not like they eliminate the subtitle and original japanese audio track. If you hate dubs, then change the audio to the original japanese and turn on the subtitles. It's not hard.

Subs fans are against dubs somewhat for their mere existence, but also because we're seen prices of subbed DVDs versus dubbed DVDs, and the prices differ. Dubs cost money to produce, so the DVD is more expensive, and dub-haters don't want to pay dub actors by buying anime with dubs.

Sub-only DVD is cheap because the license is cheap. When the license fee is cheap enough, the DVD can be sold cheap and at lower volumes yet still recoup the license cost for the R1 company.

For higher license fees, they'd have to dub it in order to encompass the larger market.

For a higher license fee series that can't be dubbed or won't sell well even dubbed, they shouldn't license it at all. Sub-only DVDs won't sell enough to cover the higher license fee, even --heck especially-- if the sub-only DVD is priced the same as a sub+dub DVD. Or, the sub-only DVD would have to be priced even higher, in order to recoup the cost of the higher license fee while selling at lower volumes. (Such was the case with sub-only VHS.)

Addendum: "The Bride of Seto" doesn't make sense. Isn't Seto the bride? Confused

Some more suggestions for the translated title: Laughing

10. Mermaid Order Bride
9. My Fair Mermaid
8. Mermaid of Honor
7. I Married a Mermaid
6. Married to the Mermaid Mob
5. The Fish Fiance
4. Mermaid Mia!
3 A Fish [Called] Seto
2. Engaged to Krill
1. Sprash
0. Sleeping with a Fish
Myaow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:11 am Reply with quote
poehitman wrote:
PLEASE let them dub this! And PLEASE let them not suck on the cast choices as bad as The Familiar of Zero did!

Different studios-- Zero was originally licensed by Geneon, and they provided the dub. Funimation's dubs are generally very different and oftentimes much better (insofar as they know not to let Christina Vee into the studio.)

poehitman wrote:

This runs both ways, really-- go see that one recently-locked thread to behold the crazy everyday hijinks of the sub-hating populace. Including, but not limited to, "I watch fansubs but PHYSICALLY CANNOT watch subtitled DVDs!", "Even though I love this show like my firstborn child, I refuse to buy it if there is no dub!", and everyone's favorite "I'm going to keep my money HOSTAGE unless the publisher does EXACTLY WHAT I WANT, because that's how capitalism works, y'know: you give money for what you want and if you don't get it then you steal it!"

Which is to say: don't fret! No matter how they decide to release this, you're going to get people whining!
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:26 am Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
Actually it's quite simple to discount something, especially if it's a genre you don't like.

enurtsol wrote:

What... so who doesn't want hard sci-fi like so many anime fans of the 80s and early 90s? Very Happy

Well yeah if you like it, well you like it. As I'm sure there is a mecha genre market, it's just unreasonable to expect appeal from everyone.
poehitman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:02 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Subs fans are against dubs somewhat for their mere existence, but also because we're seen prices of subbed DVDs versus dubbed DVDs, and the prices differ. Dubs cost money to produce, so the DVD is more expensive, and dub-haters don't want to pay dub actors by buying anime with dubs.

But without a dub you alienate the dub fans, so the DVD's will cost more anyways because they have to make the money back with less people to sell it to.
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
poehitman wrote:

Welcome to the early 1990s, enjoy your stay

I have no clue what you're talking about.

[EDIT: Do not double-post. Use the Edit button instead.~Zalis]
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:33 am Reply with quote
Ai no Kareshi wrote:
they will miss out on some sweet Halko Momoi (albeit with a funny accent).

So that's why I hated the sub!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:08 am Reply with quote
I do remember this series. Yet I never had the chance to check it out. Then again did I want to?

Man, y'know 'School Days' could have been a good pick too. Or 'Higurashi 2'. Oh well.

Keep those licenses coming. Maybe I'll check this out. I always like a good comedy.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:15 am Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
poehitman wrote:
This runs both ways, really-- go see that one recently-locked thread to behold the crazy everyday hijinks of the sub-hating populace. Including, but not limited to, "I watch fansubs but PHYSICALLY CANNOT watch subtitled DVDs!"
Didn't you read the thread? DVD subtitles "clash" with the anime by standing out against the background so much that they're actually readable instead of blending in with the artwork, and somehow yellow colors cause eyecancer while blue, pink, green, etc. don't.
Quote:
Strange, I never hear dub fans who don't watch subtitled anime complaining about having to pay subtitle script writers and timers. Sure the costs are different, but it's the same principle. If dubs hadn't come along and made anime more popular by being more accessible to more people, sub fans would still be paying the ultra-high niche Bandai Visual product prices they paid in the VHS era. And in this day and age when you can get 26-episode series on sale for as low as $27, that can't be considered "paying too much for the dub" by any reasonable standards.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
bayoab

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:28 am Reply with quote
poehitman wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

But without a dub you alienate the dub fans, so the DVD's will cost more anyways because they have to make the money back with less people to sell it to.

It costs an extra $40k per disc to dub it. If you don't at least gain that many buyers, you are going to lose even more money than leaving it subbed. (This works out roughly to an extra 3000 sales, basically doubling the average sales numbers for a DVD over a subbed only disc.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9