• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto to Run Uncut on Adult Swim's Toonami Block

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:47 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

Well here's the ironic part while people complain about anime censored on US TV, people that watch fansubbed anime are technically watching censored anime (anime do get censored on Japanese TV also). I learned it the hard way when I found the Girls Bravo fansubs was censored while the DVD with the dub was uncut. The fansubbers used the TV broadcast version for the fansubbing, so people that are complaining about US censored anime and watching fansubbed anime (when the fansub version is using the censor version from JPN TV broadcast) are not only whiny but hypocrite and ignorant. I wouldn't be surprised if some of our shows from US get censored on Japanese TV.

No one likes it censored on Japanese TV either and every fansub watcher I know complains as well, especially when it remains censored on AT-X like ToLoveRu Darkness.

However, the are some significant differences:
- The level of censorship and editing is always more than that of the Japanese TV versions; and the mainstream shounen shows are by far and large uncensored in Japan
- US Cable does not have to censor. They may be under pressure from advertisers based on perceived appropriateness, as well as maybe any complaints (though with late night/early morning schedules, this should not matter) but have no legal obligation whatsoever to censor. Where is the equivalent of AT-X on US cable?
- Japan censors TV anime mostly to promote DVD/BD sales. AT-X does not have to censor at all, yet some shows airing there still are censored. Some late night anime on broadcast TV have also gone uncensored, returning to how they originally were in the past. For example Sekirei ep 9 and Sekirei S2 TV preview ep, presumably done as a kind of sneek peek. More recently, Lupin III Fujiko was completely uncensored on broadcast TV in Japan as well
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:33 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Eh, I don't care if they're starting from the beginning. Anyone still watching/reading Naruto is probably where I am - sick of the ninja war BS, and reminiscing when the show was just about three little ninja kids and their perverted ninja teacher. I say hell yeah, bring it. I'll watch it when I'm semi-passed out after a Saturday night out and relieve my early weeabo years. Geh, wait, nevermind. I don't want to think about that stuff.

Yesss. Exactly how I feel. I haven't caught up with the manga since the timeskip actually, but I know what's going on and I just like the older plots better. Same with Bleach. I haven't been watching it recently. Just glances lol.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:49 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Where is the equivalent of AT-X on US cable?

HBO. Enjoy Game of Thrones. Laughing
11G4GUNOT

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Naruto only [adult swim] LULZ
just like dragon ball z vegeta saga ha ha
neon alley or DVD instead thanks
jlaking

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:28 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

The FUNimation channel airs all their shows and movies uncensored.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:01 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
configspace wrote:

Well it is friggin awesome.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:54 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Well here's the ironic part while people complain about anime censored on US TV, people that watch fansubbed anime are technically watching censored anime (anime do get censored on Japanese TV also). I learned it the hard way when I found the Girls Bravo fansubs was censored while the DVD with the dub was uncut. The fansubbers used the TV broadcast version for the fansubbing, so people that are complaining about US censored anime and watching fansubbed anime (when the fansub version is using the censor version from JPN TV broadcast) are not only whiny but hypocrite and ignorant. I wouldn't be surprised if some of our shows from US get censored on Japanese TV.

No one likes it censored on Japanese TV either and every fansub watcher I know complains as well, especially when it remains censored on AT-X like ToLoveRu Darkness.

However, the are some significant differences:
- The level of censorship and editing is always more than that of the Japanese TV versions; and the mainstream shounen shows are by far and large uncensored in Japan
- US Cable does not have to censor. They may be under pressure from advertisers based on perceived appropriateness, as well as maybe any complaints (though with late night/early morning schedules, this should not matter) but have no legal obligation whatsoever to censor. Where is the equivalent of AT-X on US cable?
- Japan censors TV anime mostly to promote DVD/BD sales. AT-X does not have to censor at all, yet some shows airing there still are censored. Some late night anime on broadcast TV have also gone uncensored, returning to how they originally were in the past. For example Sekirei ep 9 and Sekirei S2 TV preview ep, presumably done as a kind of sneek peek. More recently, Lupin III Fujiko was completely uncensored on broadcast TV in Japan as well

Well Japan has odd standard what can be shown on TV, and what's not, and when to show it. I'm aware of anime being censored to help promote DVD/BD sales (and probably to combat and discourage fansubs from showing uncut anime when the anime is censored) Kind of odd AT-X is censoring anime despite being a premium channel (which mean like HBO, and Cinemax) should be showing anime uncut. Maybe fansubbers are using AT-X broadcast to fansub uncut anime and that could be the reason why AT-X could be censoring anime (I'm not 100% sure, but it just a theoretical thought). Also I'm somewhat aware there are anime fans that stop watching fansubs anime citing content censored on the fansubs version (that was the reason I stop watching fansubs anime). I was poking at the ignorant one thinking Japan would never censor anime. Also isn't the FCC is another reason why anime get edited for broadcast in US except late night like Toonami. We already have premium anime channel like The Anime Network, Funimation channel so there are free from any censorship and we already have Neon Alley, CR, and Hulu to stream anime uncut.

enurtsol wrote:
configspace wrote:

Well don't forget Showtime, Cinemax, Encore, Starz, Playboy TV, and well other channels.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:15 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
Clearly, but I was talking about the fate of Shippuden on television not any other medium.

Which is irrelevant when you consider that the other medium is more accessible to today's anime fan. Even kids can find workarounds. So Disney doesn't want to play ball with the fans. Who cares? Go watch the show on Crunchyroll or buy the DVDs.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
The block is called Adult Swim.

Nothing about this show is adult. Hence, I must call foul. Not to mention, I believe it will turn off way more viewers than it attracts.
This is not Adult Swim. AS aired action as well as stuff like Paranoia Agent. This is Toonami, the block that was always aimed at content for boys to watch after school. Now it's a nostalgia block that airs late at night for all the boys who used to watch it after school.

Once you get over that distinction, it's a lot easier to understand what theyre going for.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:01 am Reply with quote
It's Toonami via Adult Swim, as in Adult Swim is control, not Cartoon Network. Regardless of that, it's a post midnight block, get some slightly more "mature" series on there, not yelling fighting shounen shit. If they truly want to run on nostalgia, they're going to fail, nostalgic love for a block playing shows in an inconvenient fashion won't last.
TheBlueFlame

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:44 am Reply with quote
Exactly! Toonami won't survive on nostalgia alone. That's what will most likely kill Toonami in the end. The need something new and fitting animes or cartoons for the block to even have a chance of continuing from here.
TheGameNinja

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:20 am Reply with quote
TheBlueFlame wrote:
Exactly! Toonami won't survive on nostalgia alone. That's what will most likely kill Toonami in the end. The need something new and fitting animes or cartoons for the block to even have a chance of continuing from here.

ThunderCats and Sym-Bionic Titan are pretty new. I don't remember Titan even getting reruns. And new anime are expensive. The more support Toonami gets, the more money they get, the more new shows they can get.
lostrune

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:28 am Reply with quote
TheGameNinja wrote:
TheBlueFlame wrote:

ThunderCats and Sym-Bionic Titan are pretty new. I don't remember Titan even getting reruns. And new anime are expensive. The more support Toonami gets, the more money they get, the more new shows they can get.

American children's cartoons wont help it survive either.. unless it's nostalgic ones like Peewee's Playhouse was maybe Laughing I guess since they weren't popular and got cancelled early they were cheap buys though.
TheGameNinja

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:35 am Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
TheGameNinja wrote:
TheBlueFlame wrote:

American children's cartoons wont help it survive either.. unless it's nostalgic ones like Peewee's Playhouse was maybe Laughing

Okay, Toonami has always had both American and Japanese shows on it. As well as a few things from other countries. They are not an anime block. They are an action animation block. And Bleach is just as much a "childrens" show as Sym-Bionic Titan. They're aimed at the same demographic. I don't know about ThunderCats, but Titan was popular. It was cancelled because of a disagreement between Tartakovsky and CN that resulted in him leaving the network.

Last edited by TheGameNinja on Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:39 am; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:39 am Reply with quote
Again, that works if it's a weekday block. This block needs better programming for those of us who are no longer 12.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8