• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Toradora! DVD 1 Eps. 1-7 Preview

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Ok thanks for the feedback Smile I guess it just might not be my cup of tea, I thought I was missing something but I guess I just don't like it as much as others.
AnimeFollower

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:29 pm Reply with quote
JediMaster-what a joke! wrote:

AnimeFollower wrote:
If this means that your favorite anime is coming out in sub-only form, you BUY it in sub-only form. You don't grouse and bitch and moan about "Oh no! There is no dub! I am not buying!" You no longer have the luxury of buying/not buying an anime SIMPLY because there is/is not a dub. If you liked the show when you saw the free, sub-only version, it is your DUTY to buy the dvds when they become available to buy. Period.

I complain to provide a counterpoint to those who cry out for companies to release anime DVDs in sub-only form. I have never seen this show but wanted to buy a dub version based on all the buzz online. For my own financial health it is my DUTY to remain within my budget for luxury items like anime.

Oh yeah, *PERIOD*. Seriously, what is up with that? I've seen it pop up a couple of times in this thread.

[EDIT: Directly insulting other posters is explicitly not allowed. Continue this and more drastic actions than just editing your post will be taken next time. - Key]
tankerboy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:58 pm Reply with quote
After reading this whole thread I really wish the dub or nothing people would just get over it - it really is getting tedious.

I agree with the first half being more interesting than the second. The second half is more typical of a melodramatic rom-com and it's not all that bad. Unfortunately for the second half the first half flies to realms rarely reached by romantic comedies or any anime for that matter - the animation, the characters, the writing - totally amazing.

I don't mind dubs, I've enjoyed quite a few but I agree with those who said Rie Kugimiya just can't be dubbed with any accuracy - I've heard the English versions and they just don't compare - no one mutters like her <grin>
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:11 pm Reply with quote
captainbanana wrote:

The comparison to Ghost Hound is fair, but is Ghost Hound profitable? It only has four reviews on Amazon, which is usually a sign of how well or how poorly something is selling.

Does it getting a dub now make it profitable? Since it was one of the five title from Section23 that is getting a dub.

DmonHiro wrote:

You are buying THE EXACT SAME PRODUCT YOU SAW FOR FREE!!!!!
You are saying: "Well,I already got your stuff for free, so I'll only pay for it if you add something extra".

PS: you've been throwing the word "inferior" around, so I need to ask something: what is it supposed to be inferior to? It's the exact same thing that was aired in Japan, that was watched by the Japanese, that was watched by you. What is it inferior to? A hypothetical dual-audio release? News flash, something can't be inferior if it doesn't have anything to be inferior to. By that logic, every DVD release is inferior to the hypothetical future Bluray release, or the hypothetical DVD re-release with extra commentaries and dual-subs (localized and not localized).

Well, let me put it this way, would you rather pay for two things (one you care for and the other you don't) and get both of them or would you pay for both but only get one? (in which case for many it is the one they don't care for)

So the real question is, how is a Sub Only release is NOT to inferior to a Dual Audio product?

Also, a Dual Audio DVD release is not inferior to a Dual Audio Blu-Ray release because not everyone has the means to play something like that, thus I can buy it but it will sit around in my room never being used just like a sub only release.

Last edited by rinkwolf10 on Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
E-Master

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Saw a few episodes of it at my anime club, until we stop showing cause too many people weren't into romance anime.

I liked from what I've seen of it, and willing to buy it on DVD. I don't care if it doesn't have a dub as long as it's Region 1 DVD. Since I do own other anime that never had Dubs of their own.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:24 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Ranma87 wrote:
Sub only releases show a half hearted effort on the part of the publisher, I don't think its my DUTY to buy an inferior product.

You are saying: "Well,I already got your stuff for free, so I'll only pay for it if you add something extra".

PS: you've been throwing the word "inferior" around, so I need to ask something: what is it supposed to be inferior to? It's the exact same thing that was aired in Japan, that was watched by the Japanese, that was watched by you. What is it inferior to? A hypothetical dual-audio release? News flash, something can't be inferior if it doesn't have anything to be inferior to. By that logic, every DVD release is inferior to the hypothetical future Bluray release, or the hypothetical DVD re-release with extra commentaries and dual-subs (localized and not localized).
It's useless arguing with him - he has a mindset that everything and anything needs to be and must be in English.

Anyway...if I went to watch this, would it be worth it to finish or watch until a certain point then stop or what? I admit, I'm not a major fan of moe shows and tsundere characters, but I do love a good drama story. I've read a few episode summaries off of Wikipedia, but it's not the same as actually watching the show. Anime hyper So after the change from being more comedic to dramatic, will it still be recommended for a minor fan of the genre like me?
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:29 pm Reply with quote
captainbanana wrote:
Some people seem tired of the dubs vs subs debate, but I think they are looking at this wrong. For years, dubs have been a given. The subtitle only people were happy, and the dub only people were happy. Now one side is getting completely cut out for some releases, and their complaint is somehow annoying? That doesn't make any sense to me. This isn't a debate about which one is better...this is one about why dubs should be a requisite (unless they want to drop the price, but that is my addition to the argument, and others would disagree, while demanding dubs or no sale)

This pretty much sums up how I feel about the sub/dub issue. Dubs have almost always been there, along with subs, so everyone was happy. But now fewer and fewer shows are getting dubbed, so of course the dub fans will complain about it, and IMO have every right too, because the way they prefer to watch their anime is being taken away.

Just imagine that, for whatever reason, the majority of all anime from now on would be released dub-only, the sub fans would surely complain, and again, should have every right to, because the way they want to watch anime is being taken away.

I prefer dubs myself, although I still buy sub-only releases of shows I really want if thats the only way to get it, but I expect the prices to be reduced from the price points of dubbed shows because I'm getting less for my money. In the case of Toradora though (costing nearly as much as a full priced dubbed show), it all depends on how much value you place on the nice packaging and artbook, which IMO is still a bit overpriced. But thats just me, although I'll still be buying it regardless.
Almaz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Ranma87 wrote:
Whats inferior about it? Well yes in Japan a Japanese dub is excellent, fine and all that but when released outside of said country should have a dub fitting the language of the country its being released in.

For example...

If I was releasing it in Mexico i would include a SPANISH dub

If i was releasing it in CHINA i could include a CHINESE dub

Or if I was releasing it in the US... well take a guess

and so on... its just common sense

I know that this will make NO difference in the conversation. I find it depressing to insult a show not for its storyline but for its native language. Anime started out with subtitles only. There are many foreign films that are subtitled only. If you really want English dub, I am sure that some Asia company will make a sub-par one and release it. However, the quality is not good enough for some people to purchase. Heck some even criticized ones done here. For what I know, we are SPOILED PEOPLE. Many countries do not even have subs much less dubs commercially done. Frankly, I do not give a flying fig if you do not want to buy it. Obviously, you did not want to buy it so don't. Try taking the issue up with NISA. They do have email and are very nice.

That said. Carl did a good review on Toradora. You know people. What this thread is supposed to be about. I am sure Key will do a good review when he gets to see it in the finalized product. I, myself, found it to be great for the type of show it is. I got a kick over Taiga, Minori, and Ami personalities. It is not anything new. Just something executed well. The animation is great, and the Japanese VAs brought out their characters. Let's try talking about the show for those who have not seen it or part of it. They might be interested in buying the show if they know about it more.

It is getting old and disgraceful putting shows down for price, extra, and format. It is also insulting to the reviewer who did a good job in putting together the review. With that, I will (not like someone else who said and reneged) quit chatting about this discussion. I will take a bow and accept any tomatoes thrown at me at this time. Adieu.

Last edited by Almaz on Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:01 pm; edited 4 times in total
Seymour85

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:48 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed Toradora so much and am really glad its getting the release it deserves. I remember the excellent thread that ran when it was airing in japan with everyone weighing in with their opinions on what they thought would happen next.

I didn't expect a show like this to spark such good debate but it really did thanks to its characters and well paced plot.

Can anyone recommend which site it is best to buy this set from if they live in the UK. It's not on amazon.com or playusa.com which are usually my first port of call based on delivery times and convenience. Is there a chance it may still appear on these at a later date. I'd take the risk if so but I don't want it to be one of those shows that ends up being sold for excessive amounts of money on marketplaces because it's become a hard title to find.

I would go with rightstuff but the last I checked you needed to give them a photo copy of your passport if you lived outside the US and I'm really not up for doing this at all (is this still their policy?)

Are there any other reliable sites (secure) that sell this title to the UK without anything other than a credit card?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
captainbanana

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
Ranma87 wrote:
Sub only releases show a half hearted effort on the part of the publisher, I don't think its my DUTY to buy an inferior product.

It's useless arguing with him - he has a mindset that everything and anything needs to be and must be in English.

Anyway...if I went to watch this, would it be worth it to finish or watch until a certain point then stop or what? I admit, I'm not a major fan of moe shows and tsundere characters, but I do love a good drama story. I've read a few episode summaries off of Wikipedia, but it's not the same as actually watching the show. Anime hyper So after the change from being more comedic to dramatic, will it still be recommended for a minor fan of the genre like me?

Going by the logic presented in the quote, I should be buying every single show I watch on TV when they come out on DVD/Blu-Ray because it is my duty or some such nonsense. Assuming he means fansubs, I'd have to agree, although I don't think having watched a fansub immediately means you have to put up with whatever release strategy the distributor comes up with (in this case, no dubs) just because you've watched the fansubs. A lot of people watch the fansubs because they want to watch a show when it's released in Japan instead of waiting months (if not years) for the show to come out in their home country. These people still like dubs, and they'll buy the show if it comes out with dubs, but I wouldn't say they are obligated to buy a sub only release just because they are fansub watchers. Having said that, if you watch an entire show and love it, and then a full English release comes out (with dub) you are pretty much honor bound to buy it if you can.

As for Toradora, I think it can be enjoyed if you aren't into the romantic comedy genre. In all honesty, there isn't a whole lot of romance in the series, and the comedy mostly comes from the interaction of Taiga (a tsundere), and the rest of the cast (not in a romantic manner until the last fourth of the show or so when the aforementioned melodrama really hits the fan). It's a good show, but if you aren't into this type of thing, I don't know if it's funny enough to keep your attention for long.

I don't think the hype for the show is really warranted, but then again, I could say the same for Spice and Wolf, Haruhi Suzumiya, and Clannad (which would bring the wrath of a thousand angry fans)

@mistypearl - I love a wide range of things from old as dirt shows like Galaxy Express to ultra-niche shows like Welcome to the NHK. There is nothing wrong with disliking something that others like. For instance, I can't stand Code Geass, anything moe, anything by the guy that did Bakemonogatari, and a hundred other things.
ZenErik

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:50 pm Reply with quote
It appears that NIS America's official store would be willing.

http://rosenqueen.com/help.php?section=FAQ

I haven't looked at their shipping rates. On the plus side you get a poster that you won't get from anywhere else.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
So after the change from being more comedic to dramatic, will it still be recommended for a minor fan of the genre like me?

It's still a great show its just that it didn't go in the direction a lot of the fans wanted since they had their own favorite couple pairings in mind. The ending doesn't follow the normal formulae for arriving at the expected romantic ending and it doesn't tie everything off in a nice bow although the ending is complete.

Bottom line is it is still a great show but a lot of people didn't like the shift from largely comedy to largely drama and didn't like the path to the ending. Its a subjective thing.
Olivine

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm confused here.

1. Toradora contains voice work by Kugimiya Rie.
2. Several posters have supported a dub of Toradora.
3. These posters have posted more than once.

After the first blasphemous post, the earth should have opened up and swallowed them, banishing them to an eternity of fire and poking. How are they posting more than once?? Either there is more than one person to an account, or Hell has complimentary internet access. Someone please get to the bottom of this immediately!
Seymour85

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:56 pm Reply with quote
ZenErik wrote:
It appears that NIS America's official store would be willing.

http://rosenqueen.com/help.php?section=FAQ

I haven't looked at their shipping rates. On the plus side you get a poster that you won't get from anywhere else.
Thank you very much. I shall check this out.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
You may have to wait quite a while. Though I have a suspicion that a large number of fans over here are content with sub-only releases, I don't know much about the size of the local market for romantic comedy. Certainly, this title is described as being capable of dwarfing the appeal of certain niches within romantic anime, but at first glance it may struggle to match the mainstream popularity of favoured titles outside the romance genre.

Yes, well, for now there's quite a few releases over here, and that's rather satisfying. Waiting won't be a problem. It's certainly hard to tell whether the show would be popular here, but if bargained for a cheap license and released as sub-only there shouldn't be that much to lose.

Aura Ichadora wrote:

Well, I'd say the beginning made more use of Taiga's "tsundere-ness" than the later half. If you're going in for a good drama story, then the later half (ending included, of course) is a must. The only reason I disliked the last half (and I bet the same goes for the majority) was the obvious outcome I was cheering against.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9