• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MetalEmolga7

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:16 am Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
I am sincerity pissed off at the fact that the only reason the mystery of what happened to Kagome and Inuyasha simply comes from the fact that NOBODY who knows it feels like saying what happened nor Moroha feels like asking.

Worst part of all is the fact that Moroha both knows how to use Kagome's arrows and spiritual powers better than Kagome and somehow knows the name and usage of Inuyasha's techniques and she also has the (never mentioned before) lipstick.

How can she know this if she doesn't know her parents?

If she doesn't know who her parents are why would she know to ask? Also using a bow and arrow and spiritual powers aren't unique skills only Kagome can learn. That's not even bothering to consider that Kagome never received any training for her powers and just knew based on pure intuition. For that matter none of the character's in Inuyasha had to train to learn anything they just instinctively knew what to do or understood immediately after a short explanation. To be frank I dislike it when fantasy/sci fi series explain every single detail. It feels like they don't want the viewer to use their imagination even for a second.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:49 am Reply with quote
MetalEmolga7 wrote:
That's not even bothering to consider that Kagome never received any training for her powers and just knew based on pure intuition. For that matter none of the character's in Inuyasha had to train to learn anything they just instinctively knew what to do or understood immediately after a short explanation.

It was not pure "intuition," but the fact that she was Kikyo's reincarnation. And we don't know who taught Inuyasha his techniques (I'd guess Miyoga and/or Totosai), but he had over 150 years to learn them before we met him.
Roadwarior2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Really enjoyed episodes 5 and 6, I really feel like this show's hitting it's stride now that the girls are on the road slaying demons and saving villagers.
Next episode we get to meet Towa's love interest, Riku or as I've started calling him Japanese Jack Sparrow. He's apparently being voiced by Lelouch's VA, so that's cool.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:02 pm Reply with quote
MetalEmolga7 wrote:
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
I am sincerity pissed off at the fact that the only reason the mystery of what happened to Kagome and Inuyasha simply comes from the fact that NOBODY who knows it feels like saying what happened nor Moroha feels like asking.

Worst part of all is the fact that Moroha both knows how to use Kagome's arrows and spiritual powers better than Kagome and somehow knows the name and usage of Inuyasha's techniques and she also has the (never mentioned before) lipstick.

If she doesn't know who her parents are why would she know to ask? Also using a bow and arrow and spiritual powers aren't unique skills only Kagome can learn. That's not even bothering to consider that Kagome never received any training for her powers and just knew based on pure intuition. For that matter none of the character's in Inuyasha had to train to learn anything they just instinctively knew what to do or understood immediately after a short explanation. To be frank I dislike it when fantasy/sci fi series explain every single detail. It feels like they don't want the viewer to use their imagination even for a second.

Inuyasha characters were already trained and had years of experience from the get go, the only one who didn't (Kagome) spend most of the plot learning how to use her powers and had Kaede giving advice.

Supposedly, Moroha raised herself and self taught these techniques, in writing this is the usual "Writer-Reader Contract" were the reader doesn't make hard questions (Like why are Shield's HQ turbines not destroying the city under it) if the writing it's entertaining enough.

I suppose I don't find the writing that entertaining then, mostly for the same reason the review points, there is no chemistry between the girls and have no reason for them to hang around.
MetalEmolga7

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

Inuyasha characters were already trained and had years of experience from the get go, the only one who didn't (Kagome) spend most of the plot learning how to use her powers and had Kaede giving advice.

Supposedly, Moroha raised herself and self taught these techniques, in writing this is the usual "Writer-Reader Contract" were the reader doesn't make hard questions (Like why are Shield's HQ turbines not destroying the city under it) if the writing it's entertaining enough.

I suppose I don't find the writing that entertaining then, mostly for the same reason the review points, there is no chemistry between the girls and have no reason for them to hang around.

In the original series Inuyasha started out fighting with just his bare hands. He later finds the Tessaiga and is immediately able to use it to defeat his brother Sesshomaru who is older and has more combat experience. The only explanation for any of this comes several hundred chapters later. Yet Yashihime is terrible for not explaining everything in less than 10 episodes.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Episode was fine but I do feel like it's jumping into the monster of the week formula a bit too fast when there's so much unexplained and it's getting increasingly silly that nobody is asking question like "why are you in debt?" or "where did you get attack by the butterfly?" and so on.

Also, wouldn't Moroha spirit arrow be a lot more natural as a way to finish the cat ghost? Those aren't supposed to hurt human but should be able to kill the ghost. Definitely would work better than... w/e happened. It just again feel like the show is trying really hard to make Towa the main character when it just doesn't fit (I think she got almost all the killing blow at this point).
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:36 pm Reply with quote
MetalEmolga7 wrote:
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

In the original series Inuyasha started out fighting with just his bare hands. He later finds the Tessaiga and is immediately able to use it to defeat his brother Sesshomaru who is older and has more combat experience. The only explanation for any of this comes several hundred chapters later. Yet Yashihime is terrible for not explaining everything in less than 10 episodes.

We are not discussing the narrative problems of Inuyasha of which I can talk for hours if you wish.

I think the problem here is that you think I am an Inuyasha fan, sorry, I am just a casual fan and I consider Inuyasha badly written and an illogical mess, so I am judging Yashahime sorely based on its narrative merits and it's failing into making me care about its 3 main leads.

Something every Anime must do in 3 episodes, there is a reason the "3 episodes rule" exist.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:54 am Reply with quote
Episode 6: monster of the week is boring, but we learn that Towa’s reluctance to kill can be warranted. The Corpse Dealer is still shady, and the series still includes asides about meeting the ancestors of modern day people without meaningfully engaging in whether time travel can impact people’s births, Back to the Future style.(Inuyasha did this, too...but maybe YashaHime will deal with time travel more seriously later on?)

Minos_Kurumada wrote:

Even if something messed up her memories of them that doesn't explain why she doesn't ask nor nobody mentions what happened, we have Myoga doing random exposition nobody asked him for and doesn't mention the most important parts?

Another thing that pisses me off is the fact that Towa can fight on the same level as the other 2, fighting bullies is not the same as years of being a demon hunters.

Yeah, the kids’ lack of desire to learn about their parents, and the older characters’ lack of initiative in explaining what they might know bothers me. I hope there’s a reason for this—maybe a villainous plot messed with *everyone’s* memories?

I’m not bothered by Towa being as strong as the other girls. The show is telling us that she’s (understandably) not on par with recognizing demons and has modern day sensibilities against killing them (which, we learned in episode 6, are sometimes warranted), so she’s at a disadvantage in some aspects of demon hunting. Her strength comes from being Sesshomaru’s daughter and all that gym equipment in her room.
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:00 am Reply with quote
The whole thing with Juan reminds me of the time Kagome met Hojo's past life. The boy that crushed on her in high school. Towa is becoming like Kagome a lot...now she just needs to tweak her uncle's ears.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Episode 6: monster of the week is boring, but we learn that Towa’s reluctance to kill can be warranted. The Corpse Dealer is still shady, and the series still includes asides about meeting the ancestors of modern day people without meaningfully engaging in whether time travel can impact people’s births, Back to the Future style.(Inuyasha did this, too...but maybe YashaHime will deal with time travel more seriously later on?)

Minos_Kurumada wrote:

Even if something messed up her memories of them that doesn't explain why she doesn't ask nor nobody mentions what happened, we have Myoga doing random exposition nobody asked him for and doesn't mention the most important parts?

Another thing that pisses me off is the fact that Towa can fight on the same level as the other 2, fighting bullies is not the same as years of being a demon hunters.

Yeah, the kids’ lack of desire to learn about their parents, and the older characters’ lack of initiative in explaining what they might know bothers me. I hope there’s a reason for this—maybe a villainous plot messed with *everyone’s* memories?

I’m not bothered by Towa being as strong as the other girls. The show is telling us that she’s (understandably) not on par with recognizing demons and has modern day sensibilities against killing them (which, we learned in episode 6, are sometimes warranted), so she’s at a disadvantage in some aspects of demon hunting. Her strength comes from being Sesshomaru’s daughter and all that gym equipment in her room.

What bothers me is the fact that most problems have an easy solution in this scenario, the girls lack a common goal and have no reason to stick together, so:

1- Make the Dream Butterfly a highly priced monster, that way Moroha has a reason to stick with the other 2.
2- Make Setsuna want to get her sleep back, because as far as I see it she is right on the fact that not having to sleep with 0 secondary effects its supper convenient, so, give her side effect.
3- Towa is fine as she is, just show her training with the demon hunters at the back ground, it doesn't need to be Hero Academia showing Deku train all the time.
4- Don't mention their parent at all and concentrate in getting the butterfly.
5- Make the Demon trader promise them to use his intelligence network to find the butterfly if they make jobs for him.

This could have been done in 10 minutes tops in the first 4 episodes granting the girls a common goal and a reason to stick together.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Well what a surprise, the episode was almost entirely focused on Towa and it was incredibly boring and brought nothing of value to the show. I think the weird dream sequence was actually my favourite part because if Trowa slowly become insane that would give her something approaching an interesting personality trait.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering how an article posted Nov 16 had comments dating from Oct 17, but turns out to cover all the episodes. Eh.

For a moment, I thought that was Chiyu's father in the middle there.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:06 am Reply with quote
I think a better show could have done a better job tying this episode back to the first, but so far this show hasn't been up to the task.
I think this would have worked better if they didn't use the flashback to draw people in with the first episode and instead put it here in the series (so episode 2 would be episode 1 etc). Let the show stand on it's own feet for a bit (such as it is) and then give the fan friendly flashback. Then at least you wouldn't be repeating so much only half a dozen episodes in.
I'd rather have gotten some info on Towa's "magic finger blasts" that she can suddenly use.
Hal14

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:49 am Reply with quote
Is there any previous indication that Towa could do that nail magic attack? Or is it just something her Dad could do?
AngelMagick

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:31 am Reply with quote
I've finally been able to catch up with this. So inagree woth some points in this review and disagree with others.

This, so far is no where near as engaging as Inuyasha and I somewhat regret waiting to watch this until after I had rematch everything. I built up the hype in my mind where I think it did ruin it a bit.

That said, I don't agree with you at all that this can be entirely its own entity. We have seen time and time again, in western reboots and continuations that some catering to old fans helps a new show. And not doing so merely limits you to trying to pull in new fans who may not really get it. So I see what they are doing. They're trying to build the story of how the trio came to be. And I will confess this is the only reason I want to watch more.

I personally think it would have been better to have created a movie telling the story of in between and what happened to everyone. Then given the girls a story of their own where we happen to maybe find their parents or it is touched upon what happens. Obviously Rin is someone to save in what we have and I'm getting the impression that maybe Inuyasha is also still out there somewhere, maybe woth Kagome. But we won't know till we see more I guess.

My main bug nears with it are this though.

1. The Inuyasha anime established that Hanyo age much slower than humans and, while Izayoi did live to know inuyasha, she died while he was still the equivalent of an infant. Yet, neither of Seshomarus daughters seem to age the same way. It might be explained any somewhere down the line and benniyasha is quarter so that might explain that. But to me its a major continuation error for the new writers, especially if it is not addressed as they should still be quite young by the old writing standards.

I'm going to keep watching as I am actually love the scenes where we see what happened to the old characters, and I am curious to see where the story is heading. But its certainly not as good as Inuyasha atm. But then again, its also got a lot to live up to in my eyes as I am a major fan of the Inuyasha anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 29