• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - The Rise and Evolution of Old Classic Dubs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nipasu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There are no new Pretty Cure dubs because Glitter Force flopped and it may still be too soon to think another kid-focused push would do any better. Truthfully, there's no real reason to believe Toei would be able to get it in front of kids either. Look at how much they've struggled with just getting the dubs for Digimon Adventure 2020, Dragon Quest Dai, and World Trigger out there. It's tough to reach kids. Just dubbing a 50-episode show, dumping it onto streaming, and hoping they find it isn't a good strategy. How many kids do you think are aware things like Anpanman, The Journey Home, Sushi Sumo, and Zoids Wild even exist?

If any new dubs are made, I don't think they'll be aimed at Kids. Toei seems to be aiming Pretty Cure at adults fans---not only with subbed releases, but also selling merch via Tokullecibles. The other Toei shows you mentioned aren't aimed at kids; they were all made for older audiences. And Anpanman had 10 movies dubbed on Tubi, so at least they got something dubbed.

Glitter Force may have flopped, but it was actually pretty popular when it was released. Can't speak for GF Doki Doki, but the Smile dub was reportedly a hit when it arrived on Netflix in 2015.

Quote:
Yeah, there are adult Pretty Cure fans, but I feel like that audience is overstated. If you look at the episode review counts on Crunchyroll, the shows don't really seem to garner that much engagement. ANN's own data suggests a pretty grim picture.

Most of the Pretty Cure fans congregate through Twitter, YouTube, Reddit and the Pretty Cure Wiki (amongst other places). Just because the entire community isn't on MAL doesn't mean the series doesn't have an active community of older and newer fans.

Quote:
The 50-episode count and annual reboot cycle of Pretty Cure make it even harder to justify. Individual entries kind of become disposable. People will be checking out DQ and World Trigger for years to come, but how many people are going to be watching the current Pretty Cure season four years later?

How many episodes did One Piece have in 2007, when Funimation licensed it?

Also Pretty Cure is a meta-series; besides 2 seasons, every other season is it's own canon and can be adapted separately (though Hug has past Cure cameos). Saban dubbed Smile and Doki Doki, and they could because neither season are connected.

And yes, there are people who re-watch Pretty Cure seasons. I'm sure many fans will re-watch if there's a new dub or even official subs.

I don't know if it will ever happen, but I will continue hoping Toei gives Pretty Cure a new dub in the future. It's their only major franchise to not get any dubbed content in recent times, while every other show has had something new dubbed (even Doremi had it's 20th anniversary dubbed in Dubai.) The fandom is made up of adults, but many of them would love to welcome a new dub. Yes they'll need to support the new dub legally, but having a new dub can further help Toei promote Pretty Cure in the West.

Also if the newer season can be made available to Europeans, that'll be great.
mgree0032

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:50 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
mgree0032 wrote:
It’s amazingly astounding that 4kids actually managed to get these top tier A-list musical artists in order to make this look and sound like a Disney/Nickelodeon styled tv show/original movie.

I think that was more Warner Bros than 4Kids.
But at the same time, the idea of adding A to B-list music artists was common during the 90s and 2000s, so WB and 4kids thought, “Since kids and teens love pop/rock/rap/urban r&b music, let’s make the first two Pokemon movies’ dubs look and sound like a Disney Channel /Nickelodeon TV show/original movie.” Yugioh movie soundtrack had Black Eyed Peas and it promoted fans to buy the soundtrack because they have a top tier musical artist on their side for the soundtrack.

Last edited by mgree0032 on Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
YagamiBlackstone255

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:55 pm Reply with quote
mgree0032 wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
mgree0032 wrote:
It’s amazingly astounding that 4kids actually managed to get these top tier A-list musical artists in order to make this look and sound like a Disney/Nickelodeon styled tv show/original movie.

But at the same time, the idea of adding A to B-list music artists was common during the 90s and 2000s, so why not try to make the first two Pokemon movies’ dubs look and sound like a Disney Channel /Nickelodeon tv show/original movie.

Um... no one say they couldnt or shouldnt. I wish an Uncut dub of the first Pokemon Movie was made though.
mgree0032

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:01 pm Reply with quote
YagamiBlackstone255 wrote:
mgree0032 wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
mgree0032 wrote:

But at the same time, the idea of adding A to B-list music artists was common during the 90s and 2000s, so why not try to make the first two Pokemon movies’ dubs look and sound like a Disney Channel /Nickelodeon tv show/original movie.

Um... no one say they couldnt or shouldnt. I wish an Uncut dub of the first Pokemon Movie was made though.
Well, some fans of Digimon claimed that Digimon the movie wouldn’t have work unless they got Smash Mouth to sing “All Star” during the end of the movie back then.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:38 pm Reply with quote
mgree0032 wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I think there should be reasonable expectations of what Discotek is able to do as they've said many times before they don't have the money and resources to do dubs of anything longer than a movie or short OVA and that's why they'll never dub the rest of classic Lupin TV. So I would not expect Discotek to ever redub any of these old shows beyond maybe a movie or OVA special or something. That's why Discotek can only redub the Digimon movies but they don't have the resources to say redub all of Digimon Adventure.
Maybe it because there’s no need to redub all of the Digimon Adventure because it wasn’t as heavily censored and it was treated with a lot of care and passion by Saban.

No, it IS because they cant dub a 50+ episode series. And Digimon Adventure 02 DEFINITELY needs it.

There's a lot of things Adventure 02 definitely needs before another dub. Ba dum tssssshh...I'mnotreallyjokingthough...
YagamiBlackstone255

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Dr. Wily wrote:
mgree0032 wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I think there should be reasonable expectations of what Discotek is able to do as they've said many times before they don't have the money and resources to do dubs of anything longer than a movie or short OVA and that's why they'll never dub the rest of classic Lupin TV. So I would not expect Discotek to ever redub any of these old shows beyond maybe a movie or OVA special or something. That's why Discotek can only redub the Digimon movies but they don't have the resources to say redub all of Digimon Adventure.
Maybe it because there’s no need to redub all of the Digimon Adventure because it wasn’t as heavily censored and it was treated with a lot of care and passion by Saban.

No, it IS because they cant dub a 50+ episode series. And Digimon Adventure 02 DEFINITELY needs it.

There's a lot of things Adventure 02 definitely needs before another dub. Ba dum tssssshh...I'mnotreallyjokingthough...

I cant read minds or decipher obscure unfunny jokes so you are going to have to explain or just not say anything at all. Digimon Adventure 02 is great. I am rewatching it in Japanese and I love it a lot. If you are implying this season is bad or something you are mistaken in this belief.
mgree0032

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I think the idea of turning anime into a Saturday morning cartoon or a Disney Channel/Nickelodeon show back in the 90s and 2000s happened because children’s entertainment executives were trying to be hip with the youth and teens back in the day, even if it means dumbing down the scourge material to get it aired on TV.
1dbad

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 5:25 am Reply with quote
I understand why Toei is hesitant to dub Pretty Cure again. They attempted a largely faithful, uncut dub with Futari wa, and it bombed. So then they tried the Glitter Force approach, thinking a more heavily reworked effort would be more successful with kids. But it also underperformed. So they're probably out of ideas on how to make an English dub of it work.

They hate them because their dubs are REALLY mediocre outside of Pokemon, Yugioh and Shaman King.

I honestly think Yugioh's dub is overrated. Don't get me wrong, it has some great VAs and one of 4Kids strongest rescores. But in terms of localization, it's easily their most poorly localized title outside of One Piece. I think the only reason more people don't realize this is because for the longest time, all we had to compare the dub to was the hilarious yet awful Hong Kong bootleg subs.

NJ_ wrote:
My guess with Toei, it's because of the lack of full rights.

Huh, I would've figured the rights folded back to Toei after that. Who else might have rights to it?

NJ_ wrote:
I recall reading some complaints over sub translations on fan sites but I think it was due to using what Japan gave them for sub scripts which considering one of them was TMS (Monster Farm), wasn't surprising since there had been similar issues with the old Lupin sub streams unlike the Discotek sets which updated them.

That's unfortunate. And definitely makes the sales issue a bit more complicated than "Fans just don't care about the Japanese version of edited dubs" like some had assumed.

Traptrix Lover wrote:
I remember Crunchyroll started putting up subbed Yu-Gi-Oh eventually and even simulcasted VRAINs, but it seems like they stopped with Sevens. Apparently Disney+ has it, but I have no idea if they offer it subbed or its just a dub only..

No Sevens subs on Hulu or Disney+ sadly, and even the Switch game was released dub-only. I think the reason Sevens has yet to be subbed is due to the studio swap that happened in Japan. I'm hoping that Sevens World coming to Duel Links will change that. That game is dual-audio, so the English side of things is going to have to work something out with the Japanese VAs. (And hopefully that'll lead to Crunchyroll finally subbing Sevens)
mgree0032

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:10 am Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:
I understand why Toei is hesitant to dub Pretty Cure again. They attempted a largely faithful, uncut dub with Futari wa, and it bombed. So then they tried the Glitter Force approach, thinking a more heavily reworked effort would be more successful with kids. But it also underperformed. So they're probably out of ideas on how to make an English dub of it work.

They hate them because their dubs are REALLY mediocre outside of Pokemon, Yugioh and Shaman King.

I honestly think Yugioh's dub is overrated. Don't get me wrong, it has some great VAs and one of 4Kids strongest rescores. But in terms of localization, it's easily their most poorly localized title outside of One Piece. I think the only reason more people don't realize this is because for the longest time, all we had to compare the dub to was the hilarious yet awful Hong Kong bootleg subs.
Battle City was hit the hardest because of the rewritten character development in order to lessen the Shonen-esque feel of the whole arc.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:15 am Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:
NJ_ wrote:
My guess with Toei, it's because of the lack of full rights.

Huh, I would've figured the rights folded back to Toei after that. Who else might have rights to it?

I didn't mean on Toei's end but it goes back to what I said about World Trigger, if a company gets full rights to more than just streaming then they could get that Pretty Cure dub since Toei produced it themselves and should still have it.
Los Nido

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:26 am Reply with quote
mgree0032 wrote:
Well, some fans of Digimon claimed that Digimon the movie wouldn’t have work unless they got Smash Mouth to sing “All Star” during the end of the movie back then.

I completely forgot they changed an emotional scene of Wendimon breaking down crying into him doing a silly dance to Smash Mouth with some jokes thrown in from Wallace until you mentioned this.
light turner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I don't really understand why the Ghost Stories dub was getting dragged in here, given how different its situation was than most of the other shows that were discussed. I mean, the original series was essentially Japanese Scooby-Doo, a low-budget "spooky" show aimed at elementary school kids. It's not the sort of thing that had any sort of widespread appeal among anime fans then or now, and almost no one would have known or cared about its existence if not for ADV's dub of it.

Well, for starters the series was dubbed faithfully and aired in other countries just fine. It's only America that decided to do what they did. The same thing happened with Crayon Shin-chan and Keroro-Gunso.

Secondly, the problem with this line of thinking is you're basically giving some random American ADR the power to decide which shows are "worthy" of being respected or not. Sounds all well and good until they decide they don't like a show you enjoy and do everything they can to sabotage it and misrepresent it. There's people who still think Ghost Stories wasn't popular in Japan when it got better TV ratings than other classic anime like Great Teacher Onizuka. I doubt this could happen today because information is so readily available that audiences can fact check things very easily.

And thirdly, I doubt anyone would actually be able to make a funny gag dub like Ghost Stories in 2023. It has way too many jokes that would be seen as politicially incorrect. Any attempt at a modern parody take would probably be the most bland and unfunny thing ever with some of the tamest jabs ever. Or worse, modern political jokes from out-of-touch writers who don't know their audience like trying to add anti-fanservice jokes to a fanservice anime. I mean, look how much of a buzz that one line in Dragonmaid got, or the social distancing joke in Kaguya-sama. As much as I didn't care for Ghost Stories, Shin-Chan, and all those other gag dubs, I think back then was about the only time you could really do that kind of stuff, both from an audience accepting them and the writers being able to tell crass jokes.

1dbad wrote:
No Sevens subs on Hulu or Disney+ sadly, and even the Switch game was released dub-only. I think the reason Sevens has yet to be subbed is due to the studio swap that happened in Japan. I'm hoping that Sevens World coming to Duel Links will change that. That game is dual-audio, so the English side of things is going to have to work something out with the Japanese VAs. (And hopefully that'll lead to Crunchyroll finally subbing Sevens)

The fact Sevens was dubbed is still weird to me since Rush Duel doesn't exist in America or the TCG. There's literally nothing for it to be promoting outside the general YGO brand. A sub-only release would have made sense, but them putting effort into dubbing it to sell nothing is such an odd thing to me.
mgree0032

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:41 pm Reply with quote
oilers2007 wrote:
Sailor Moon and Pokemon being worldwide phenomena are solely because of the quality of the IPs themselves, not whatever changes or styles the American dub used.
Let’s imagine if those IPs weren’t censored for TV back then, would it still be a hit success if the show-runners left them as they were? The changes that we Americans made still made the IPs the success that they were back then.
Nipasu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:18 pm Reply with quote
mgree0032 wrote:
Let’s imagine if those IPs weren’t censored for TV back then, would it still be a hit success if the show-runners left them as they were? The changes that we Americans made still made the IPs the success that they were back then.

But since they were never given uncut releases, who's to say they shouldn't have been as successful?

1dbad wrote:

Why can't they just make another uncut dub? The most recent seasons have gotten subbed releases, so I don't see why Toei can't crack out another uncut dub---especially one that keeps the Japanese names and cultural references. The series is currently being aimed at older audiences, so surely Toei shouldn't think another edited dub will work.

I don't know how involved they were with Glitter Force. Seems like Saban made most of the choices, though Toei must have bene aware.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Nipasu wrote:

Why can't they just make another uncut dub? The most recent seasons have gotten subbed releases, so I don't see why Toei can't crack out another uncut dub---especially one that keeps the Japanese names and cultural references. The series is currently being aimed at older audiences, so surely Toei shouldn't think another edited dub will work.

Dubs cost money and hard work to make and Toei is a business who is looking to maximize their profits and they're not going to spend their money and efforts of dubbing a 50 episode show that nobody is going to watch. It's the same reason Sentai isn't dubbing Tokyo Mew Mew New. I also think most American fans being adults who already watch the show subbed is a reason they're not going to dub it. There's no reason to dub it if the fanbase is already watching subbed and there's no expectation that a dub will expand the audience. And I love dubbed anime and think it's important for accessibility reasons but I don't know why a lot of Precure fans see getting a dub as the end game or the only way the show can be a success versus other important issues like getting all the past Precure shows we still don't even have streaming subbed yet or having merchandise be more accessible to American fans or expanding the Crunchyroll simulcasts beyond the US.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10