• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(A) Certain Scientific Railgun (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:32 am Reply with quote
Ruiko, Uiharu, and Kuroko are all 1st year middle school students. 1 year behind Mikoto
Key

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:29 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Heh, I didn't know the pedobear was so strong in you, Key Laughing (Ruiko is 12/13, remember).

Enh, all of the girls in the series seem at least a couple of years older than what they're supposed to be. It throws off my "too young to look at" radar.

Of course, IRL I once substituted in a 7th grade class (i.e., equivalent to what Saten and Uihara are supposed to be in) which had a girl who was 13, maybe early 14 tops, and could have easily passed for 18 or older if you didn't hear her talk. Those are the scary ones. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:35 am Reply with quote
In the manga Ruiko is actually just as flat as the rest of them. Maybe they gave her a bust up to have some more variety in the main group? Though for that matter in the manga she was actually more of a side character until the anime upgraded her to a main. That then carried back over to the manga.

The relationship between the Railgun anime and manga is pretty interesting.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Started to watch the second season.

There are issues with the setting, which are common with the first season, as well as with original Index series:
spoiler[With super advanced city like authors mean it, all of streets are monitored, so there is little-to-no room for level of street and gang crime that is shown in those anime series.

This makes events of this anime looking stretched/fake. This fake quality of the setting includes the card story, where hundreds of money cards appear at various places of the city, and all of sudden monitoring is useless in giving out suspects.

Let alone the fact that it would be easiest thing in the world to find out who is the owner/register of the cards, because there is no way to get any money cards anonymously.

Yet the girls are shown wandering on the streets, eavesdropping on random talks by passers-by, or relying on other hearsay. Some of girls even refer to cards themselves as hearsay, even though with such number of cards there would be countless postings and photos on social networks about it, so there is no way it would be just "rumour".]

Ridiculous; and there are many more details like that.

This is why "sci-fi" is so much tougher, harder genre to write in, comparing to fantasy. Authors have to very, very hardworking and smart to think through the setting and everything they plan -- because new technology makes drama they want to tell technically, physically impossible to occur.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:29 pm Reply with quote
It's also why many of us recognize the show as fantasy, not sci-fi. It's a lot easier to enjoy that way.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
It's also why many of us recognize the show as fantasy, not sci-fi. It's a lot easier to enjoy that way.

well aside from the flaws even the nostalgia critic pointed when being engaged in a movie or t.v. series it needs a few things to be decent.

Does the show engage you make you think or have characters you enjoy?? Does it grasp your attention and make draw you into it's world??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:

Unfortunately, I do not have such "esper" ability. And this is why I can watch pure fantasy, medieval anime much easier.

Such things as blinking tube TVs from Akira "futuristic" anime kill the immersion immediately, it throws me out of the world that authors want to create -- it is so fake that I can not avoid it.

This is one of the reasons why steam-punk genre is also so much better for people like myself. It has some technology, but it is dated, so described setting would not be that nonsensical as in futuristic "sci-fi".

By the way, those circumstances are the reason why I still did not see any of Ghost In Shell anime films or series. I am afraid to be very disappointed about level of thought that authors laid into this project in terms of matching events of the anime to "sci-fi" settings, which is very hard to do. (That said, authors of those Railgun/Index series do not even try; very little-to-no thought was put behind actually fitting events of the story to the sci-fi settings.)

Last edited by MaxSouth on Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:09 pm Reply with quote
ok so my question here is, do you like this show, at all?
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I rated the first season as "Good", so I did like it. The second season could be better, so I my prognosis is that I will rate it as either "Good" or even "Very good" -- despite my allergy to poorly thought out futuristic anime.

Last edited by MaxSouth on Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:11 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
This is one of the reasons why steam-punk genre is also so much better for people like myself. It has some technology, but it is dated, so described setting would not be that nonsensical as in futuristic "sci-fi".

Except that most of steampunk is inherently impractical and ridiculous.

Quote:
By the way, those circumstances are the reason why I still did not see any of Ghost In Shell anime films or series. I am afraid to be very disappointed about level of thought that authors laid into this project in terms of matching events of the anime to "sci-fi" settings, which is very hard to do. (That said, authors of those Railgun/Index series do not even try; very little-to-no thought was put behind actually fitting events of the story to the sci-fi settings.)

I'll agree with you on the latter point, but you should have nothing to fear on the former. Masamune Shirow has no equals in anime/manga when it comes to a realistic imagining of fantastic future tech (especially as it relates to the cyber world), so if what any version of GitS offers you doesn't satisfy you then nothing in anime probably will.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Steampunk is absolutely impossible and ridiculous, but it is on the face, it does not hide behind supposedly super-advanced and futuristic technology that sci-fi genre attempts to.

For example, if a boy cracks the doors of a hangar and steals a steam-powered plane, it would be fundamentally more believable than boy stealing a giant humanoid robot -- as almost every Gundam series shows. This is because steampunk has no computers, fingerprints sensors, voice identification technology, infra-red, electromagnetic spatial area detectors, video cameras and everything else that would make such steal impossible, and what makes Gundam a facepalm, insulting experience for me.

So while steam powered plane is oxymoron in terms of realism, this kind of nonsense I can accept as an axiom of world setting for an anime. The same as magic in fantasy genre. But elsewhere it has to make sense.

In Railgun I can accept magical powers of "Espers", but elsewhere it has to make sense -- and it does not.

The same is with Gundam. I can accept giant humanoid robots (which were/are never meant to have anything to do with the future), and I can accept that those robots have to be manned (brazen nonsense), and I can even accept that children are pilots (more nonsense) -- which is a hell of lot axioms for me to bear -- but elsewhere it has to make sense, and it still does not.

As to Ghost In Shell, I will try to advance it on; thanks for encouraging, Theron. This is probably the last major thing I still did not watch.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Sorry for somewhat off-topic post, but this explanation might be interesting and educational for some readers:

There is part of the brain which is responsible for error correction.

It has many converging functions -- starting from making you know that your recollection of something could be a mistake or that what you say is wrong. It helps you to separate lies from reality, so brain would be able to stick to what you actually know and not mix it with what you make your brain to think or imagine -- for whatever purpose you have for that.

For some people like myself, this part of the brain is overwhelming. It is one of the reasons for obsessive-compulsive syndrome, because this error correction also makes you want to do things "right way", or "correct wrongs". However, this brain's area does not necessarily have to be super-focused on some ridiculous things like, say, sorting out subjects on the desk "the right way", as OCD often times shows; it can change your way of perceiving things in general.

It makes people realists. No room for spiritual or mystic thinking, religious beliefs. And it tampers with possibility to accept any kind of nonsense, including that of arts such as anime. For example, my ability to accept whatever frivolousness authors may have with logic besides few axioms is very weak, so I can not fully enjoy most of anime.

(By the way, one of consequences of this knowledge is understanding that concept of "free will" is often overstated in society. For instance, while people may think that they are consciously decided to be religious -- or vise versa, like myself -- in reality this was mostly pre-determined by their genome. Environmental effects are very minor, despite humanity's great self-deceiving belief in power of education/upbringing as personality-forming.)

Last edited by MaxSouth on Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:13 pm Reply with quote
well this certainly helps. you do like the show, but your brain is on overdrive pointing out all the things in the show that doesn't make sense
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:23 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
For example, my ability to accept whatever frivolousness authors may have with logic besides few axioms is very weak, so I can not fully enjoy most of anime.

So WTF are you doing here?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:57 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
Started to watch the second season.

There are issues with the setting, which are common with the first season, as well as with original Index series:
spoiler[With super advanced city like authors mean it, all of streets are monitored, so there is little-to-no room for level of street and gang crime that is shown in those anime series.

This makes events of this anime looking stretched/fake. This fake quality of the setting includes the card story, where hundreds of money cards appear at various places of the city, and all of sudden monitoring is useless in giving out suspects.

Let alone the fact that it would be easiest thing in the world to find out who is the owner/register of the cards, because there is no way to get any money cards anonymously.

Yet the girls are shown wandering on the streets, eavesdropping on random talks by passers-by, or relying on other hearsay. Some of girls even refer to cards themselves as hearsay, even though with such number of cards there would be countless postings and photos on social networks about it, so there is no way it would be just "rumour".]

Ridiculous; and there are many more details like that.

This is why "sci-fi" is so much tougher, harder genre to write in, comparing to fantasy. Authors have to very, very hardworking and smart to think through the setting and everything they plan -- because new technology makes drama they want to tell technically, physically impossible to occur.

Except they don't have access to those cameras, just because it would be easier to identify who is leaving them with the cameras does not mean that they would automatically be given access. And in fact it is a pretty major plot point why those monitoring the cameras would not want to hand them over. If have not seen Index or have not gotten it is obviously because people would spoiler[see multiple Misaka Mikoto running around the city at the same time, or possibly even worse; why there are multiple Misaka Mikoto].

If they could find out where the spoiler[cards came from purely by seeing who registered them, then they would have, someone obviously went through a lot of trouble to hide themselves and cover their tracks]. Actually instead of considering this all plot holes, perhaps you should consider it part of the plot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 63 of 72