• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Duplicate Persons.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:07 pm Reply with quote
If dormcat is right in every last case about the two-part hyphen-ized names being the given name then what about asking Dan42 for a general renaming job of all these? Perhaps limit these persons to a subset with well-known surnames. Even then we would have more than enough of these persons as ANN currently has
  • Kim: 493 times as family name, 309 times as given name
  • Lee: 394 times as family name, 201 times as given name
  • Park: 228 times as family name, 104 times as given name
  • Choi: 102 times as family name, 59 times as given name
  • Cho: 53 times as family name, 35 times as a given name
  • Hwang: 37 times as family name, 11 times as given name
  • Song: 29 times as family name, 35 times as a given name
  • Youn: 16 times as family name, 16 times as given name.
You see, the tendency towards the (probably) correct choice is there but this control logic isn't much better than a coin toss when applied to the current data for Korean persons.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:48 pm Reply with quote
There are traps to fall into there - if you inverted all "X-Y, Lee" names then you could be caught out by double-barrelled English names like Lee Huntingdon-Smythe and Kim Willoughby-Stuart. Not saying we have any names like that, but it is one way a process like that could go badly wrong and I'm sure there are others. There's also a large number where the hyphen has been omitted.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
386sky

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:06 pm Reply with quote
wao wrote:
screenshot from the opening of GITS SAC:SSS. No, it is not a fansub. It's from the original. They don't seem to have made any other mistakes in the names (no bloody Kunrei-shiki romanization either!) so I suppose it's trustable

This image doesn't work. It directs to the search page for Ask as image host instead.
386sky

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:09 pm Reply with quote
wao wrote:

This image also doesn't work.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:15 pm Reply with quote
As you've been told in the past, when you dig up posts from years ago (I have no idea how many since you haven't linked to the posts you are quoting and I can't be bothered hunting for them) you can expect links to no longer work. You haven't even given us the context other than one has something to do with GiTS:SSS.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:06 pm Reply with quote
386sky wrote:
wao wrote:
screenshot from the opening of GITS SAC:SSS. No, it is not a fansub. It's from the original. They don't seem to have made any other mistakes in the names (no bloody Kunrei-shiki romanization either!) so I suppose it's trustable

This image doesn't work. It directs to the search page for Ask as image host instead.

This is quoted from Sun 03 Sep 2006 09:50 am—it's the ultra-tiny text.

386sky wrote:
wao wrote:

This image also doesn't work.

This one is from Mon 25 Sep 2006 05:51 am (in the "2. Hiroshi vs Hiro Kaburagi" section of the post).
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:46 am Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
doc-watson42 wrote:
Tony TAKA (#61084) and Taka Tony (#56841) are the same person, who is actually called just "Tony", e.g., here. The source of the confusion is his site's URL http://www.bekkoame.ne.jp/i/taka_tony/, and his E-mail address, taka_tony[at]i.bekkoame.ne.jp.

IMHO it would be best to create a third entry, "Tony", enter in it the information from the first two, and make the first two redirects, as well as aliases in the third entry.

A bit more information is to be found in this blog post, though I can not vouch for its veracity.

Someone has made a third entry, Tony (#65231). Since they have, I've added credits in that name.

Also, I checked the end credits of NuTech Digital's release of Genmukan episodes 1 and 2, and they both credit "Tony", not "Taka Tony", for "キャラクター原案", as does Getchu.com (episode 1, episode 2).

After... The Animation (for the game): "原画 Tony" (proof 1, proof 2)

Fault!!: "原画 Tony" / "キャラクター原案:Tony" (proof 1, proof 2, proof 3)

Shining Tears (manga): proof 1 ("Tony", not "Tony Taka"), proof 2

Shining Tears X Wind (TV): "キャラクター原案:Tony" (proof 1, proof 2)

Sora no Iro, Mizu no Iro: "原画 Tony" / "キャラクター原案:Tony" (proof 1, proof 2, proof 3)

Quoting the last page of Tony's Graphic Art Book (which is in English):
Quote:
Tony's Profile

Born in 1971.

After graduating art school, worked as an advertisement designer and later for a game company.

Became independent and started to work as a freelance illustrator in 1997.

Established rpm Co., Ltd., in Tokyo, Japan in 2000. Currently the president of the company.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:29 pm Reply with quote
More than one person has the name 村司晃英: Akie Muratsukasa, Akihide Muraji

Coincidentally, they are the only two people in our database with those kanji as either given or family name.

The only reading in EDICT for 村司 is Muratsukasa (this doesn't mean that Muraji isn't a valid but rare reading); 晃英 has Akie, Akihide, Kouei and Teruhide.

Search google for the family name I keep instead getting results for people named [something]mura Tsukasa. Akie and Akihide seem roughly equal in popularity judging by a quick google search.

____

More than one person has the name 村山公輔: Kimisuke Murayama, Kosuke Murayama

Looks to be the only person with that given name in our database. Kimisuke, Kinsuke and Kousuke are all valid readins in EDICT.

According to Sakuga@Wiki, Kousuke is correct.

____

More than one person has the name 高谷知恵: Tomoe Takaya, Chie Takatani, Chie Takaya

All credits are in the Shiage department. Allcinema reckons the correct reading is Tomoe Takaya.
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
More than one person has the name 村山公輔: Kimisuke Murayama, Kosuke Murayama
Looks to be the only person with that given name in our database. Kimisuke, Kinsuke and Kousuke are all valid readins in EDICT.
According to Sakuga@Wiki, Kousuke is correct.
I took the opportunity to move one credit (the only one for this person that I added) from Kimisuke to Kosuke (whose kanji name I added), so they're 3:12 now. If it were me who set the kanji name for Kimisuke I'd put it in round brackets given these odds (but not yet flag the three remaining credits).

Shiroi Hane wrote:
More than one person has the name 高谷知恵: Tomoe Takaya, Chie Takatani, Chie Takaya
All credits are in the Shiage department. Allcinema reckons the correct reading is Tomoe Takaya.
I'd be cautious with Allcinema readings for low-level animators, they may be guesswork.
ANN has 7 高谷 (4 Takaya, 3 Takatani) and 3 知恵 (the three entries mentioned here, both amongst the 5 ENAMDICT readings), neither of which indicates a clear tendency. Tomoe TAKAYA got 6 of 11 credits amongst these three (none of them by me) but I'm not yet convinced that putting the kanji name of Chie Takaya (which I set) into round brackets would improve the situation.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Devil Doll wrote:
I'd be cautious with Allcinema readings for low-level animators, they may be guesswork.

A lot of ours are guesswork also, either by a contributor or whatever wage slave put together the R1 DVD credits - Allcinema's readings are at least more likely to be guessed by a native speaker who I'd hope, having lifelong experience with Japanese names, would be more likely to guess correctly.

____

More than one person has the name 飯飼一幸: Kazuyuki Ikai, Kazuyuki Igai.

See also animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=115210

Sakuga@Wiki says Kazuyuki Igai.

____

More than one person has the name 松浦剛至: Tsuyoshi Matsuura, Takeshi Matsuura

Looks to be the only person with that given name in our database, and both readings are valid according yo ENAMDICT.
Tsuyoshi gets more ghits, but at the same time looks to churn up more chaff.

According to Wikipedia there's a Sumo wrestler who calls himself "竜電 剛至", but he pronounces it Goushi.
braves

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:34 am Reply with quote
SNIPES is a pen name of Toushio Kobayashi (from here). I honestly thought it was a company name when I first saw it....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TiredGamer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Dall-Young LIM
Dal-Young LIM

This appears to be the same person. I have also seen it rendered as LIM or IM.
SecretJustin1130

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Jake Martin:
person#10866
Dan Martin
person#4987
Jake Daniels
person#5656

They are all the same person.

SOURCE:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Martin_(actor)
SecretJustin1130

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:07 am Reply with quote
David Brimmer
person#1073

J. David Brimmer
person#5693

Michael Baley
person#66143

Michael Alston Bailey
person#30600

Michael Alston Baley
person#10561

They are all the same person.
JackCox

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:57 am Reply with quote
Lesley Pedersen

person#95239

Lesley Tesh

person#46508

Are both the same person, She recently married so her name is Lesley Pedersen, Proof can be found below on her facebook profile.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1052668848&ref=search

And if you look in her friends list she's friends with a lot of ADV Voice Actors.

Sorry to use this as proof but what else could I do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 66 of 144