• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim Announces Toonami Rewind Block With Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball Z Kai, Naruto Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 2:29 am Reply with quote
Dr. Wily wrote:
Cowards should have used the DiC dub if they were gonna do "retro" Sailor Moon.

NEVER WOULD HAVE HAPPENED!

if they were going to bring back SM, it would always use the newer eng dub version instead of the DIC/Cloverway version since those version are not longer legally licensed in the US (ADV Films use too, but that was decades ago)

besides, they want to keep the block going, not kill it. so it makes no sense to release eng dubs that were not only available legally, they are (according to the entire of the eng dub community) VERY VERY BAD! ESPECIALLY ANYTHING 4KIDS RELATED!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mgree0032

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 6:31 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
Dr. Wily wrote:

if they were going to bring back SM, it would always use the newer eng dub version instead of the DIC/Cloverway version since those version are not longer legally licensed in the US (ADV Films use too, but that was decades ago)

besides, they want to keep the block going, not kill it. so it makes no sense to release eng dubs that were not only available legally, they are (according to the entire of the eng dub community) VERY VERY BAD! ESPECIALLY ANYTHING 4KIDS RELATED!
I bet in my life, people would be excited if Toonami rewind actually brings back a 4kids dubbed anime to the block.
anime-prime

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 7:06 am Reply with quote
mgree0032 wrote:
jr240483 wrote:
Dr. Wily wrote:

I bet in my life, people would be excited if Toonami rewind actually brings back a 4kids dubbed anime to the block.
I know I definitely would be excited. Perhaps they would be able to finally finish the GX dub (wishful thinking, I know). People love bashing on 4kids, but without them some of the very people complaining never would have become anime fans in the first place. They did far more good for the community than they did bad.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 8:56 am Reply with quote
I'm thrilled with this block! Sadly, I wish it wasn't on a Friday, as half of my Fridays I'm usually out grocery shopping at the time when this would be starting, so I'd be forced to miss it. This would've been the best chance for me to have watched Sailor Moon, as I still hadn't seen it and I'm one of those folks that greatly prefer watching shows on TV versus streaming (not that I don't stream, but it's just easier to watch on TV). I'll still watch when I can, I'm sure. Maybe I'll just need to convince the husband to just wait a few minutes after he gets home so I can finish watching the episode. Laughing
Chris Handsome

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 11:03 am Reply with quote
TokimekiCrisis wrote:
People got upset the PSP version of Symphony of the Night didn't have the awful voice acting from the English version? People were genuinely mad they couldn't hear "Die monster, you don't belong in this world". People absolutely have a preference for specific voices and dubs. Quality has no baring in terms of nostalgia

The quality of the original PS1 dub is actually insanely good. The voices are unique, distinctive, they have personality and charm, and they work well with the script, it's a masterpiece. Compared to the PSP versions extremely dull, hollow, and lacking performances from big name anime voice actors combined with poor writing, it's like night and day.
TheSeventhSense

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 11:04 am Reply with quote
mgree0032 wrote:
jr240483 wrote:
Dr. Wily wrote:

This would actually be possible/easier to grab than a lot of the Crunchyroll titles since Discotek has Shaman King. (Whoever has Yu-Gi-Oh! seems to play nice with the rights too, since I've seen the original series, GX, 5D's, and the first movie on RetroCrush.)

The issue with that is you're already appealing to a niche. Breaking down that niche further by showing series that weren't staples of Toonami/on Toonami at all could hurt the block. Of course, despite having YouTube TV myself, I'm often lost as to what on earth people who still watch cable are actually after.

In an ideal world, FuniStufSonyRoll would get their ish together and recognize letting Toonami purchase broadcast rights would do absolutely nothing to hinder the bottom line/ultimate goal of the company, which at this point seems to be "make more money so we can bomb more of this industry." Hell, you can watch MAX originals on Netflix now. Everyone having their own exclusives simply isn't going to work.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 12:32 pm Reply with quote
anime-prime wrote:
People love bashing on 4kids, but without them some of the very people complaining never would have become anime fans in the first place. They did far more good for the community than they did bad.

Here’s the problem with this logic.

Almost anyone who got into those series by watching the 4Kids versions of eventually would’ve likely sought out the Japanese version of those series before too long and would’ve likely moved on from the 4Kids version. Not to mention even if their work served as a gateway for many people into anime that doesn’t mitigate the fact their work on this stuff was bad unnecessary localizations, laughably bad edits, whole score changes etc. and then of course you didn’t have an uncensored release for this stuff.

Chris Handsome wrote:
The quality of the original PS1 dub is actually insanely good. The voices are unique, distinctive, they have personality and charm,.

Damning by faint praise in five simple letters.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 6:09 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
TokimekiCrisis wrote:
Like even the big Fandom wikis for these franchises tend to default to their English names.

Which is so lazy.

It's actually not true. The Sailor Moon wiki uses the Japanese names and only mentions the DiC dub names under the "trivia" section. The Dragon Ball wiki uses the characters' Japanese names; any others are only mentioned in a "name changes" section at the bottom of their articles where it lists any name changes from the many different DBZ dubs which have been made. The One Piece wiki regulates all name and content changes from the 4Kids dub to its own separate section away from the main articles. And so forth.

(As for Naruto, it never used name changes in any of its American dubs so that issue doesn't exist for that franchise.)
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
The Dragon Ball wiki uses the characters' Japanese names;

I could’ve sworn (it has been a long while since I’ve visited) that they exclusively use the English names for everything.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 9:41 am Reply with quote
anime-prime wrote:
mgree0032 wrote:
jr240483 wrote:

I know I definitely would be excited. Perhaps they would be able to finally finish the GX dub (wishful thinking, I know). People love bashing on 4kids, but without them some of the very people complaining never would have become anime fans in the first place. They did far more good for the community than they did bad.

sadly, they did far for harm than good. while pokemon was the lone exception, every other anime 4kids touched were hated with a passion. i mean hell, its bad dubs by 4kids and nelvana that had a part in the rise of infamous fansub groups like dattabayo and others!

not to mention pirate streaming sites like crunchyroll (yes! even that site was a pirate streaming website during the 4kids era) and others like veoh!

anyways, there MANY reasons that it was NEVER gonna work! from being hated by everyone, to those dubs not being legally available, there was zero chance in hell toonami were bringing those bad dubs back to toonami!

EVER!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
light turner

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 11:57 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
I could’ve sworn (it has been a long while since I’ve visited) that they exclusively use the English names for everything.

They do The Dragon Ball wiki also uses the English episode and movie titles, attacks, and other things. Unless we're talking about a different wiki.

And for all the hate 4Kids gets, from me included, it's a bit silly to act like those dubs don't have massive fans or still treated as the default by a lot of people. Many people use the names Ash Ketchum and Joey Wheeler because it's what they grew up with. I could easily see a 4Kids Nostalgia block working because the kind of older generation who still watch TV probably don't care if they were inaccurate or bad dubs. I mean, Shaman King 2021 used most of the 4Kids actors when it got dubbed from what I remember. And they still use the 4Kids VAs for Yu-Gi-Oh for the video games and card events. And while it's not 4Kids when Digimon Tri came out they used as many old VAs as they could. And from what I heard the recent re-release of Digimon Adventure with the new Discotek dub brought back the old cast as well.

From what I've heard the edited English versions of those Discotek releases sell better than the sub versions. No doubt due to nostalgia for them. People don't care if Samurai Pizza Cats is a complete joke of a dub just like people don't care if Mighty Morphin Power Rangers is a butchering of Zyuranger. I'm sure the MMRPG DVD sets sold more than Zyuranger did in America. The fact shows like Sentai Daishikkaku is being called "Go Go Loser Ranger" in English just shows how ubiquitous the Power Rangers name is in pop culture when every tokusatsu reference in media has to be "Power Rangers"

Last edited by light turner on Tue May 21, 2024 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 12:00 pm Reply with quote
mgree0032 wrote:
I think only the casual anime fans love the edited dubs while the hardcore fans don’t.

As a "hardcore fan," this is incorrect.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 2:06 pm Reply with quote
light turner wrote:
From what I've heard the edited English versions of those Discotek releases sell better than the sub versions.

But are there unedited versions of the same things dubbed into English that they sell better than?

Many anime fans will tell you that if given the option of watching something dubbed into their native language vs watching the same thing in its native language. They would likely prefer the dub but I can’t recall hearing anyone say they would prefer watching the edited version of an anime dubbed into their native language vs watching the same thing dubbed into their native language unedited.

It’s like saying you like the edited for TV versions of R-rated movies or edited for radio versions of songs with explicit lyrics.

And I would only hope these people aren’t the same ones who get bothered by censorship in the same medium (anime) or others (video games). Cause damn if that’s not a slippery slope.
mgree0032

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 2:27 pm Reply with quote
light turner wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:

They do The Dragon Ball wiki also uses the English episode and movie titles, attacks, and other things. Unless we're talking about a different wiki.

And for all the hate 4Kids gets, from me included, it's a bit silly to act like those dubs don't have massive fans or still treated as the default by a lot of people. Many people use the names Ash Ketchum and Joey Wheeler because it's what they grew up with. I could easily see a 4Kids Nostalgia block working because the kind of older generation who still watch TV probably don't care if they were inaccurate or bad dubs. I mean, Shaman King 2021 used most of the 4Kids actors when it got dubbed from what I remember. And they still use the 4Kids VAs for Yu-Gi-Oh for the video games and card events. And while it's not 4Kids when Digimon Tri came out they used as many old VAs as they could. And from what I heard the recent re-release of Digimon Adventure with the new Discotek dub brought back the old cast as well.

From what I've heard the edited English versions of those Discotek releases sell better than the sub versions. No doubt due to nostalgia for them. People don't care if Samurai Pizza Cats is a complete joke of a dub just like people don't care if Mighty Morphin Power Rangers is a butchering of Zyuranger. I'm sure the MMRPG DVD sets sold more than Zyuranger did in America. The fact shows like Sentai Daishikkaku is being called "Go Go Loser Ranger" in English just shows how ubiquitous the Power Rangers name is in pop culture when every tokusatsu reference in media has to be "Power Rangers"
And it’s a known fact that only twitter hates 4kids. Discotek knew that most people like the 4kids dubs.
Avec ou Nous

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 9:04 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Many anime fans will tell you that if given the option of watching something dubbed into their native language vs watching the same thing in its native language. They would likely prefer the dub but I can’t recall hearing anyone say they would prefer watching the edited version of an anime dubbed into their native language vs watching the same thing dubbed into their native language unedited.

It’s like saying you like the edited for TV versions of R-rated movies or edited for radio versions of songs with explicit lyrics.

And I would only hope these people aren’t the same ones who get bothered by censorship in the same medium (anime) or others (video games). Cause damn if that’s not a slippery slope.

It's very rare for an anime to get more than one dub so it usually does come down to an edited dub or the original Japanese sub. Sailor Moon and One Piece are the only two mainstream anime I know got both an edited English dub as well as an uncut one years later. As far as anime goes I've only seen people say that for shows from their childhood. It's unlikely many modern adult anime fans would say they wished a show like Jujutsu Kaisen had an edited-for-TV dub for them to watch. But if it did, I assume in 20 years when the kids who grew up watching that would say they have a nostalgic fondness and preference to it like people do for edited TV dubs from their own childhood.

As far as video games go it's the same thing in that it's rare for a game to have more than one official release but I see far more people say they prefer the censored version or at least there's a lot more people who defend them.. I've seen folks say they approve and celebrate the censorship made to the western versions of games like Fire Emblem or Persona because they don't approve of the content in those games the Japanese version had. Some of those are interesting because I've read about romhacking and modding websites actually taking down the uncensor patches for games like Fire Emblem Engage because they specifically don't approve of the content in the original Japanese version. Evidently there's people actively fighting to keep the original Japanese version out of peoples hands on the video game front if people care that much about making sure the English localization is the only one people can play and are policing mod sites. So as far as video games go there's definitely people who prefer the edited versions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10