• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FUNimation to Distribute Gungrave Anime for Geneon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aresef

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:22 am Reply with quote
Gungrave is kind of false advertising. Beyond the Grave is only in like five episodes. The rest is a mob-drama backstory.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:23 am Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
I've never played the games, but you're doing yourself a disservice by not watching Gungrave.

I second this. Gungrave is a great show. It sets the standard when it comes to video game-based anime.

EDIT: Darn typos. I shouldn't post so late at night ...

Maybe, but is it too much to ask for something else they could have easily rescued from Geneon's back catalog that more people would be, you know, interested in?
The Count

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:25 am Reply with quote
Yeah this is one of my top 20 anime series (very hard for me to rank so many). Think of an anime that centered around the relationship Spike and Vicious had in Cowboy Bebop. Started out as friends but things happened and one is out for revenge against the other. A little darker and emotional. The only downside to funimation getting all my favorite series(Gankutsuou, Gungrave) is that I own them. Anyways I pray the last one is Soul Eater, I have no desire to see a dolled-up remake of EVA.

Last edited by The Count on Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Sarkozy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:26 am Reply with quote
FUNimation's 9th show... isn't even FUNimation's show? LOLWUT.

FUNimation has surpassed Bandai Ent USA in 2008 in yet another area: overhyping license announcements.

Good job. I do believe we just got the equivalent to a "rescueroll'd".

I'm 2-7 right now (Nabari and O!ER!), so this has been one, big ole failboat for me. Atleast I'll have plenty of money to put towards Honnemise, ADV/Sentai and Nozomi releases.

What a waste of my time. *goes to bed now*
daedelus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:29 am Reply with quote
Wait...

The article says distribute Gungrave, not that they licensed it.

If you look here, Gungrave is not listed. Funi has always listed the new license at 12am central. This could be a fake out. Maybe...

EDIT: Nevermind. They were just late. But still, it's only a distribution deal, unless the article is incorrect.

Last edited by daedelus on Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Zhemos88

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:31 am Reply with quote
I have to say other than them announcing Slayers this whole new show agogo has been quite a disappointment for me. Half the stuff I have, and the other stuff you can get on rightstuf.com for next to nothing.
Sarkozy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:32 am Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:

If you look here, Gungrave is not listed. Funi has always listed the new license at 12am central. This could be a fake out. Maybe...

Gungrave is listed for me... perhaps refresh or something?

Last edited by Sarkozy on Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:33 am; edited 1 time in total
The Count

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:33 am Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
Gungrave is kind of false advertising. Beyond the Grave is only in like five episodes. The rest is a mob-drama backstory.

Not to sound like a nerd but he's in ten episodes eleven if you count the first episode. And the rest is his life as Brandon Heat that brought him up till that point.
sailorsean

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:43 am Reply with quote
Now don't worry guys... I'm sure Funimation has something up there sleves... I mean just look at their current podcast that was just uploaded on youtube yesterday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BejxocoBamY

I mean he even says that there will be a BIG annoucement on new years eve!

Hopefully, Eva 101!!!
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:43 am Reply with quote
So.... if Soul Eater isn't the next one, FUNi has really only acquired two *new* shows, in the sense that they haven't already been released yet or aren't already a part of a series? That's pathetic. Why couldn't they have just said, "Yeah, we got a crapload of old Geneon stuff and a *couple* of new shows" all at once.

I pray Soul Eater is the next one.
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:44 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
I avoided Gungrave the anime because I heard the games it's based on are, to put it bluntly, shit. This is disappointing...unless tomorrow we DO get Evangelion for sure, this whole thing was nearly a waste of time with one or two worthy exceptions.

I've never played the games, but you're doing yourself a disservice by not watching Gungrave.

Looks like another box set on my shopping list, if I don't find back stock of vols. 4-7 first, or Geneon's box set (Then again, I'm not the type to pay their obscene prices for any box set; THANK YOU FUNIMATION FOR GIVING US ANIME BOX SETS THAT ARE ACTUALLY AFFORDABLE!).

Check Rightstuf, all 7 DVDs are 8 bucks each.

Duly noted, and I just ordered from there. (Glad they still had some back stock, and the price wasn't too bad, either!)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:45 am Reply with quote
sailorsean wrote:
Now don't worry guys... I'm sure Funimation has something up there sleves... I mean just look at their current podcast that was just uploaded on youtube yesterday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BejxocoBamY

I mean he even says that there will be a BIG annoucement on new years eve!

Hopefully, Eva 101!!!

Probably that and Soul Eater, to make up for all the fail. But even then, we still know they're coming, so it's less exciting. FUNi's going to flood the market with all this, there's no way they can you license the good stuff now. And if they do, how are they getting the money?
GeneralArrow

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:48 am Reply with quote
I'm guessing were not gona hear about Evangelion or Soul Eater until a major convention such as Anime Expo 09 you want to make as much impact as you can with series like those. My bet is its either going to be another Geneon title, something completly shocking, or Bamboo Blade(which imo is an excellent series). I know they've sent out C&D's for Bamboo Blade.
lheiskell
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:49 am Reply with quote
Sakaki wrote:
Wow...so Tomorrow's the last one...which will it be? SE? Eva? Although I don't have feelings on either one, it's still gonna be something that I won't miss.

Also...is Gungrave any good? I've heard of it but never seen it I'm afraid...

Last of the countdown.

Who's to say we don't have another countdown real soon afterwords? It's not like we stop acquiring shows.

For US Nielsen VideoScan sales, Gungrave is in the Top 25 of all anime series in regards to DVD sales 2000-to date.

Lance

Santa's hangover helper and FUNimation "on vacation" guy
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:54 am Reply with quote
lheiskell wrote:
Sakaki wrote:
Wow...so Tomorrow's the last one...which will it be? SE? Eva? Although I don't have feelings on either one, it's still gonna be something that I won't miss.

Also...is Gungrave any good? I've heard of it but never seen it I'm afraid...

Last of the countdown.

Who's to say we don't have another countdown real soon afterwords? It's not like we stop acquiring shows.

For US Nielsen VideoScan sales, Gungrave is in the Top 25 of all anime series in regards to DVD sales 2000-to date.

Lance

Santa's hangover helper and FUNimation "on vacation" guy

Well that countdown better not be an overblown pile of crap like this one was. I'm sure some people were pleased by the rescues, but we want new stuff as a priority. Not to put them down, but Nabari no Ou and Oh! Edo Rocket weren't exactly huge shows either in fanbase.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8