• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best First Episode Tournament: Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:22 am Reply with quote
Due to ANN being down for the better part of a day (and a weekend day at that), I am considering extending this round for 24 hours. If at least three people speak up over the course of the day and say that doing so would be beneficial to them, then I will do it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I was not expecting ANN to be down for a while but these things are unexpected. If you can extend the round by 24 hours, it would help a lot.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Group B-1
Bunny Drop
vs.
Level E
Thoughts: Level E is a comedy lurking beneath the facade of a sci-fi action/mystery. It introduces an typical amnesia element for the alien, but rather than act helpless and lost, he taunts and harasses the guy from whom he's seeking aid. The verbal barbs are made more effective by Yukitaka's overblown reaction, and the episode is quite entertaining.
Going into this round, Bunny Drop is the only of these 8 shows I hadn't seen, and I nominated Level E, so I was hoping that in watching Bunny Drop, I'd find a flaw enough to adequately justify voting for my nomination. For the first half, I thought the justification might be the leisurely pacing. It's hardly a bad thing in itself, and it's appropriate for the situation, but not especially engaging. On the other hand, Rin was being absolutely adorable, and not in a calculated pandering manner, but like an actual child. As the episode progressed beyond the family paying their respects to Daikichi's father, and the plot started to move a little more. Subtle signs of Daikichi's sympathy for Rin amid everyone else's neglect of her, and the general sincerity in the tone of the entire show captured my appreciation. This one is going into my queue.
Voting for: Bunny Drop

Group B-2
Paranoia Agent
vs.
Hellsing (TV)
Thoughts: This isn't the most dissimilar match up of the tournament (that's probably next round with Excel Saga vs Basilisk), but it's up there. Paranoia Agent is a bewildering journey. If the title alone isn't enough to make you question what the truth of the events is, the disconcerting cuteness of an animated Maromi will.
Hellsing is stylish and violent, but not a whole lot else. There's an element of horror early on while Seras is surrounded and alone, but with Alucard's arrival it's mostly just ass-kicking from then on. And if that's what you want, the show certainly delivers, but any much more than that, not so much.
Voting for: Paranoia Agent

Group B-3
Fullmetal Alchemist
vs.
Hayate the Combat Butler
Thoughts: Fullmetal Alchemist makes good use of a number of standard literary devices to quickly involve the viewer in its story. Picking up the story in medias res with the event in Lior accelerates the rising action, and the exposition is that is needed to quickly bring the audience up to speed is directed at characters who don't already know it. A tense battle leads to a dramatic reveal, and the episode ends on a high note.
Hayate is a very energetic show. There is a bit of information thrown at you quickly, but the necessary pieces are simple enough. However, a lot of the humor hinges on references to other otaku shows and culture, as well as a good bit of meta-humor. At times, it feels like there should be a "You must be this nerdy to watch" sign somewhere around the show.
Voting for: Fullmetal Alchemist

Group B-4
Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo
vs.
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Thoughts: Gankutsuou is immediately captivating for the visuals alone, although the plot isn't far behind. The Count's imposing presence is dazzling and intriguing, while hints at sinister motives make known that there is much more in store from him. In addition, the ending cliffhanger where Albert is seduced and captured provide an immediate hook to continue.
Haruhi Suzumiya has a very unusual introduction. The home video-style sci-fi/magic/adventure/romance movie directed (poorly) by the title character can be a bit baffling, but the constant snide narration by the protagonist (who is not seen until the final moments of the episode) reassure that this directorial disaster is deliberate on the animators part. Besides which, the snarky commentary provide some of the biggest laughs of the show. While I know many people complain that because this episode takes place notably later in the series, the significance of several events or casting choices aren't immediately apparent, yet, taken in another light, they are clues to various mysteries to come.
Voting for: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
GDFan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:26 pm Reply with quote
This is the first round that I was able to view every episode I hadn't seen yet.

Group B-1
Bunny Drop
vs.
Level E

I can seen the appeal Level E may have, but it just didn't appeal to me. I felt like I was watching just another typical series, nothing really stood out to me. However, I really liked Bunny Drop. It was very refreshing to see such a young character portrayed realistically. That and given her horrible situation, it's probably impossible not to sympathize with Rin.

Group B-2
Paranoia Agent
vs.
Hellsing (TV)

It's been a while since I've seen Hellsing. All I really remember is not caring for it enough to continue with that series. Paranoia Agent had me right from the opening. That is one of the most unique OPs I've seen. And the story this first episode is setting up also seems like one of the most unique in anime.

Group B-3
Fullmetal Alchemist
vs.
Hayate the Combat Butler

I just wasn't all that impressed with FMA's first episode. I think someone else said that the series should have started with episode 3. I don't know if I agree with that, but I think the first episode should have been handled differently. I just watched Hayate the Combat Butler and I thought it was really funny, and a better introduction to the characters than FMA. Now I see that the dvds are quickly going OOP Anime cry

Group B-4
vs.

I thought episode 00 of Haruhi was just ridiculous nonsense. I like the series, but this episode is not the place to start it. I couldn't really get into Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo until the public execution scene started. But it definitely grabbed my attention and held it from there on. That and its unique presentation make it the clear winner for me here.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:18 pm Reply with quote
3 out of 4 of these matches involve contenders who I thought would obliterate their competition, are actually producing pretty close battles, so I am inclined not to miss out on voting like I did last round.
Group B-1
Bunny Drop
vs.
Level E

Ok just watched both first episodes. Meh on both of them, I would not have even considered either of them worthy of being nominated. But since I gotta vote, I'm going to go with Level E. Bunny Drop was very artsy and cute, but neither are necessarily good qualities for an impressive first episode. To me there seems to be a lot of manga titles out there about cynical male characters adopting other people's adorable kid. For this reason I put a little extra scrutiny of Bunny Drop, and really nothing about it stood out to me to set it apart from similar stories that have been adapted into an anime. Level E was mildly funny and dang I must say, Prince is a babe.

Group B-2
Paranoia Agent
vs.
Hellsing (TV)

Hellsing was quite exciting and meticulous in how it introduced the kind of character Alucard is, and the degree of his power and abilities. I like shows about heroes that are so damn powerful we don't really have to worry whether he's going to beat his enemies, but the style and attitude he has doing it. Still Alucard gets stacked up against some pretty powerful enemies in the series, but since you know he's going to win anyway, like I said it's the delivery that counts. And the first episode does a perfect job of framing his character and allies within this vibrant story canvas.

Group B-3
Fullmetal Alchemist
vs.
Hayate the Combat Butler

Fullmetal Alchemist moved me in a way no anime has ever done before when I first watched episode one. Lots of anime out there throws a lot of things at you to try to introduce the story, the characters, and specifically ones involving a fantasy world, needs to provide some details about the physics and properties that are unique to this world and sets it apart from other fantasy-action shows. Fullmetal Alchemist was genius in that it perfectly blended the concepts of alchemy with the most carnal of concepts that everyone is familiar with: life & death. Not only that but this set the stage for a huge sense of drive and purpose that Ed and Al are endowed with that you want to follow their hopes and dreams every step of the way. I wasn't too impressed with Hayate from the first episode, it seemed like Hayate was too reluctant in his situation. I like characters like Ed and Al who are much more optimistic in the face of huge obstacles.

Group B-4
vs.

Gankutsuou's art style did not turn me off, and I thought this was an aspect that made it stand out from the get go. The titular character was intruguing in the same way that Alucard is intruguing: a powerful man with powerful allies and knows he's going to get what he wants. Of course their resulting paths differ greatly, you know you are in for a great adventure with the introduction of the rest of the cast. Haruhi Suzumiya on the other hand just threw random crap at you, and I was at a loss for what to expect.

Last edited by P€|\||§_|\/|ast@ on Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
mow123

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Due to ANN being down for the better part of a day (and a weekend day at that), I am considering extending this round for 24 hours. If at least three people speak up over the course of the day and say that doing so would be beneficial to them, then I will do it.

I would greatly appreciate an extension. Thank you for your understanding, Key. I am very busy at the moment, and I was planning on knocking at my votes during the weekend.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

I've already voted but I can see why an extra day could be helpful. Sunday is a great day to get to vote and read what people have to say. Monday is a day to work late and barely watch a thing, an extra day would probably help some people.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Olliff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Group B-1
Bunny Drop
vs.
Level E
Thoughts: Level E is certainly louder and more blatant with its impact, but Bunny Drop's charm and willingness to take time to establish its mood with realistic characters, settings, and situations gives it the edge. Unlike most shows that go the emotional route, Bunny Drop's pathos is not overwrought. From the first episode alone you know you have something special, the promise of good if not somewhat unique and different story is all there. It's sole weakness is the somewhat overly leisurely pacing in the opening minutes, but I think that establishes its style. I personally like the art style, but I understand its an acquired taste.

Voting for: Bunny Drop

Group B-2
Paranoia Agent
vs.
Hellsing (TV)
Thoughts: Well, Hellsing certainly has gratuitous violence and forceful style, but compared to the more cleverly constructed Paranoia Agent there is no comparison. Not a big fan of either show, but at least Paranoia Agent's first episode clearly differentiates itself from the masses and leaves a distinct first impression.

Voting for: Paranoia Agent

Group B-3
Fullmetal Alchemist
vs.
Hayate the Combat Butler
Thoughts: Unlike many anime, Fullmetal Alchemist's first episode is able to leverage literary devices to not only quickly involve the viewer in its story, but to tell an encapsulated story in all its glory in the first episode. The first episode also wonderfully delivers well executed action and doesn't languish with sluggish pacing while still allowing the audience to get up to speed with the characters and setting it. A significant reveal amps up the drama even further and further reinforces its place as a strong first episode.

Hayate is certainly a hilarious first episode, but there's a feeling that it's mostly fluff and the important stuff seems rushed and shoved down your throat in an almost info dump type of passion. Also this show really requires a lot of anime knowledge to really be enjoyable and isn't exactly welcoming for newcomers. Also outside of the honest Santa none of the jokes were really that memorable.

Voting for: Fullmetal Alchemist

Group B-4
vs.
Thoughts: Gankutsuou like others have said is spontaneously captivating and enthralling not only in visuals, but in story and its lead character as well. Add on a promising plot, and an immersive setting and you have an incredibly strong first episode. The Count's grand and sinister presence begs for you to dig deeper to uncover his secret. The ending cliffhanger involving the de-facto main character is also notably impressive.

Haruhi Suzumiya scores points for originality, but it has several glaring problems. One, is that it's largely missing the titular character. Two, it doesn't drive into the plot or give an accurate representation of what the show will be like long term. Three, the first episode's significance inst' realized until several more episode in. Four, it's a poor hook for most mainstream fans. Five, the chemistry between Kyon and Haruhi that makes the show is absent. Six, it just doesn't have the focus or structure to recommend on the content of the first episode alone; its greatness just relies too heavily on the other episodes. A lot of people drop the show after just watching the first episode due to this. Kudos for earning points by going a different direction for an opening episode, but it just falls flat in far too many places in execution to be considered an outstanding first episode.

Voting for: Gankutsuou

Extra time on the votes would have been nice, but I decided to make it happen regardless of that fact.
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:56 pm Reply with quote
If I have time to ask for more time for voting then I should vote.

Group B-1
Bunny Drop
vs.
Level E

This slice-of-life series has one of the better premises I have read. It has no moe, no portrayal of everyday mundane activities, and no crazed fans. In Rin's case, she is alone in a harsh world. Daikichi is living out a mundane day in and day out routine. But his chance meeting with Rin will have a big impact on his life.

My vote goes to: Bunny Drop.

Group B-2
Paranoia Agent
vs.
Hellsing (TV)

The first episode of this thought-provoking series got you thinking. Then again, Satoshi Kon knows how to make cerebral work and it keeps you wanting more.

My vote goes to: Paranoia Agent.

Group B-3
Fullmetal Alchemist
vs.
Hayate the Combat Butler

Having seen both first episodes, I have to go with the more serious series. I did enjoy both of them but I thought Fullmetal Alchemist had a better premise. Alchemy, blindly following religion, Homunculi, and strong familial bonds between Ed and Al make this one of the best (shonen) series I have seen in a while.

My vote goes to: Fullmetal Alchemist.

Group B-4
vs.

Though Haruhi had the "unique" out of order episodes thing going for it, I was lost until the end of the "first" episode. Even then, it was hard for me to continue watching the rest of series.

Gankutsuou takes a twist on a well-known piece of literature and it intrigued me. The Count's cunning and mysterious nature was something I wanted to continue seeing.

My vote goes to: Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo.
mow123

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:00 pm Reply with quote
I totally submitted this early and used the edit, but to be fair all my votes were in. I swear I only elaborated on the justifications. Don't know if Key ended up extending the deadline or not. We only got two yes's from people who hadn't voted yet.

Group B-1
Bunny Drop
vs.
Level E

Solid slice of life, great story telling and no moe even though it has a child. Great start that makes the impression it has a grand and compelling story to tell.

My vote goes to: Bunny Drop.

Group B-2
Paranoia Agent
vs.
Hellsing (TV)

The first episode of this thought-provoking series got you thinking with an unique opening. Great hook, too. Hellsing just has style and no substance.

My vote goes to: Paranoia Agent.

Group B-3
Fullmetal Alchemist
vs.
Hayate the Combat Butler

Close one, but FMA had better story telling, more consistent and much better pacing. Hayate's pacing was all over the place between its serious and for laughs parts resulting in uneven pacing.

My vote goes to: Fullmetal Alchemist.

Group B-4
vs.

Though Haruhi had the "unique" out of order episodes thing going for it, I was lost until the end of the "first" episode. Even then, it was hard for me to continue watching the rest of series.

Gankutsuou takes a twist on a well-known piece of literature and it intrigued me and Haruhi's first episode was a mess that would have been better placed late in the series. Agree with the other posters that the Count's first episode was enchanting, memorizing, enthralling, intriguing, riveting unique and many other good words that come to mind in both content and the visuals. Plus, you have to love well timed hook at the end.

My vote goes to: Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo

Last edited by mow123 on Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:05 pm Reply with quote
We've only had one request about extending time, but I'm going to extend this cycle for 24 hours anyway since I'm also nowhere near ready to go with the second half of Group B and don't expect to be before I have to go to bed tonight. (The site being down all Sunday afternoon and evening really threw me off; I knew that I was going to be terribly busy today, so I had planned to get the set-up done yesterday.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mow123

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
We've only had one request about extending time, but I'm going to extend this cycle for 24 hours anyway since I'm also nowhere near ready to go with the second half of Group B and don't expect to be before I have to go to bed tonight. (The site being down all Sunday afternoon and evening really threw me off; I knew that I was going to be terribly busy today, so I had planned to get the set-up done yesterday.)

Technically, two myself and Naked Beast. Olliff and Spastic Minnnow also kind of sort of sponsored the extension, but they had already voted. Guess it's a moot point if you decided to give it the extra 24 hours. Key is the ultimate, definitive and all-powerful custodian of the ANN tournament. Guess, I wasn't that busy but I would by lying if didn't rush way more than usual and a guy has to take a break to preserve his sanity.

Last edited by mow123 on Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:13 pm Reply with quote
mow123 wrote:
Key is the ultimate, definitive and all-powerful custodian of the ANN tournament.
And a pretty awesome guy too Smile
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Group B-1
Bunny Drop
vs.
Level E

Voting for Bunny Drop. This one was easy to pick. Bunny Drop had a great emotional first episode. Not to mention I love animes where the main characters take care of little kids.

Group B-2
Paranoia Agent
vs.
Hellsing (TV)

Voting for Paranoia Agent because I felt the first episode gave a better impression than Hellsing. I like clever first episodes more than stylistic ones.

Group B-3
Fullmetal Alchemist
vs.
Hayate the Combat Butler

Voting for Fullmetal Alchemist. This one was tough as Hayate was funny as hell and it was my first time viewing anime that breached the 4th wall. But I have to give the vote to Fullmetal because of the story.

Group B-4
vs.

Voting for The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya because once again I like clever episodes over artistic ones. I absolutely loved the first episode of Haruhi. A wacky beautiful girl and a sarcastic male lead won me over.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Round 1 Group B (Part 1) is now closed.

With 17 votes in, none of the matches was even close:

B-1: Bunny Drop smashes Level E, 14-3.
B-2: Paranoia Agent outdoes Hellsing, 12-5.
B-3: Fullmetal Alchemist defeats Hayate the Combat Butler, 12-5.
B-4: Gankutsuou over The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, 12-5.

Three of these results I saw coming, but B-2 surprised me both in that it wasn't closer and that PA won at all; I've seen both first eps, and I'm, frankly, flabbergasted that Hellsing got wiped out, as it packed one hell of a bigger initial impression. Apparently a lot of others saw it differently. Razz

Anyway, the belated start of the rest of Group B should come shortly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 43