• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto.com, Crunchyroll, Hulu Begin Shippūden Streams

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:47 am Reply with quote
Brass2TheMax wrote:
I gave the service a try, I really did. Fansubs for me. *sigh*

This. The quality is terrible, and even if some money makes it's way back to Japan, I'd rather not see any of it go to Shinji, even through site advertising. I really hope no one bought those memberships.
Brass2TheMax

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:58 am Reply with quote
This free service thing is a bit deceiving. You only really get to see EXACTLY what the Japanese viewers see if you pay, because if you don't you can't see it in 480p as they do, you see a lesser product of lower quality. So it's fine for a pay service, but it's far from the equivalent of seeing it just as the Japanese people do for free. Also, even though you choose "H264" in the viewing options, you're not seeing the video encoded in H264, you're seeing a flash format video encoded from an H264 source, which will ALWAYS be lower quality, having gone through the extra conversion. Not to mention the fact that on a lightning-fast internet connection and a monster machine, the softsubs are still badly out of sync and look horrible.

It would be more cost-effective to buy the DVD's rather than to pay for a membership on Crunchyroll to be able to watch the videos in full 480p (as they are broadcast in Japan) as many times as you want, while owning a copy. With this service, sure, pay ~$60 to watch all you want for about a year, but in the end, you don't have a copy to watch again a few years into the future should you want to relive the experience (this goes for any show on Crunchyroll). Basically, you have nothing but your memories of the show, which will of course, eventually fade. In that regard, it's a total no-brainer to just buy the DVD's.

Unfortunately, for me, I won't buy the DVD's for this show, because I find most fansubs to produce a higher quality product than a "slap-and-go" operation like, say, Unfunimation.

Fansubs are still here to stay, and it'll be a heck of a long time before their quality can be matched by official vendors. I pray the day comes, but I just don't see it happening soon.

I know this place is full of dub-whores, so I bet I'll get flamed due to tl;dr and assumptions about myself that probably aren't true. You know, the usual stuff.
souleater

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:12 am Reply with quote
Brass2TheMax wrote:
Also, even though you choose "H264" in the viewing options, you're not seeing the video encoded in H264, you're seeing a flash format video encoded from an H264 source, which will ALWAYS be lower quality, having gone through the extra conversion.

Uh, no, the video is encoded with H264.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:49 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Brass2TheMax wrote:
I gave the service a try, I really did. Fansubs for me. *sigh*

This. The quality is terrible, and even if some money makes it's way back to Japan, I'd rather not see any of it go to Shinji, even through site advertising. I really hope no one bought those memberships.

hulu's quality is pretty good though
Brass2TheMax

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:06 pm Reply with quote
souleater wrote:
Brass2TheMax wrote:
Also, even though you choose "H264" in the viewing options, you're not seeing the video encoded in H264, you're seeing a flash format video encoded from an H264 source, which will ALWAYS be lower quality, having gone through the extra conversion.

Uh, no, the video is encoded with H264.

Uh, no, what you're seeing is not the original H264 video... Technically. Even though I have no direct understanding of the Crunchyroll backend, I can tell you that the video you're watching is in flash format. This is due to one of two things: Either 1) You're watching a video encoded in flash format from an H264 source, or 2) You're watching the H264 video being played in a flash video player. In both cases, you will not see the full quality of the video, even in the second case. Videos played through flash, even if not encoded in it, still look like crap compared to being played directly in an external player. This is more apparent when the video is upscaled to fullscreen, it doesn't upscale smoothly in most cases, where FFDshow, and heck even WMP, each do a fine job.

I guess it's a technicality, but I'd like to see the ability to play CR videos in your player of choice streamed from the site. At least it would be better than their shitty excuse for a flash player.

But no, too much effort. Fansubs.

P.S. - This whole CR thing is a step in the right direction for Anime, but it's far from perfect. Fansubs are just *closer* to perfection. Control is in the hands of the viewer, not the provider. I can change the style of softsubs to anything I like if watching a fansub that's softsubbed. I have control. I don't have this on CR. And yes, I know DB hardsubbed Naruto, but there is a group that takes their subs and softsubs them, and most fansubs softsub these days anyway. Even when they don't, most of the time hardsubs look okay anyway. CR's sub rendering is simply horrendous. And yes, some people do actually care what the subs look like, it has to do with being less of a distraction while watching.
Kireek

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I dont get all this "I want to watch it in 953463747 HD resolution or the fansubs are in green writing and not white I wont watch it"

As long as its watchable does it really matter? each to there own I guess.
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I guess I can just say, give them some time? They just launched 3 days ago and still have kinks to work out. Do you recall what the first digisubs used to look like? Smile

I'm getting sick of all the negativity abound Very Happy

-Tofu
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Brass2TheMax wrote:
Uh, no, what you're seeing is not the original H264 video... Technically. Even though I have no direct understanding of the Crunchyroll backend, I can tell you that the video you're watching is in flash format. This is due to one of two things: Either 1) You're watching a video encoded in flash format from an H264 source, or 2) You're watching the H264 video being played in a flash video player. In both cases, you will not see the full quality of the video, even in the second case. Videos played through flash, even if not encoded in it, still look like crap compared to being played directly in an external player. This is more apparent when the video is upscaled to fullscreen, it doesn't upscale smoothly in most cases, where FFDshow, and heck even WMP, each do a fine job.

It's option #2. just like youtube. So you are getting *exactly* h.264 delivered to you, like the CR clips in my previous sample link (at least for subscribers). The flash player is doing the decoding for you and the quality is the same. If it looks bad when scaled then it's because of the flash player. External solutions like ffdshow/ffmpeg/cccp use better scaling algorithms. But if you leave it unscaled you are getting the *same* quality

I should note though that i don't think the free version uses h.264, just like youtube's "normal" quality doesn't either.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Brass2TheMax, I think you're looking for negatives when you should try to see that a few years ago, this was not even a reality.

We've been asking the industry for so long to give us an experience similar to the viewers in Japan. To get this close is a good start for me.

I probably will not pay for better quality and timelier broadcasts on crunchyroll, but can you blame a site for taking advantage of being one of the few sites that has legal subs available?

I support these websites, and I hope that people will eventually move off of subs and support the industry proper.

BTW, if you don't like crunchyroll, then you have Hulu. Totally free, and the commercials aren't even a hassle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Given CR's removal of user content and some people's screams here to do the same on youtube and veoh, I find the recent news of Kadokawa's revenue from user-uploaded content on youtube pretty ironic. Maybe CR could do the same where they can strike a deal with the studios themselves if possible (bypassing large capital entities like d-rights and MFI) to allow user content and have a major portion of the ad revenue be funneled back to the studios.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I think I prefer ad supported video much more over paying every time I would like to watch an episode.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:42 pm Reply with quote
EdoRocksMySocks wrote:
babynaruto1 wrote:
1.) No, more likely April 2009-July 2009, since episode 220 of Naruto (last episode of first series) will be airing in April 2009.

2.) Sai has a perverty sense of humor? I never knew o_O.

Since when is CN ever definite with their premiering of episodes though? I doubt April is going to be a sure thing since CN seems to have an Earthquake in their building everyday with the way they change things.

Well, not necessarily 'sense of humor' but bluntness, I guess. Anime hyper

1.) Err, I was just guessing that if only 1 new episode aired each week constantly, it wasn't from an official source or anything like that.

2.) I only read the US manga books and only watch the english dub anime, so I have not even seen "this" yet lol.
sdhd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Since fansubs have been around a long time. People are used to fansub's quality and translation. That is the standards many people are basing Crunchyroll quality and subtitles to those of fansubs. This is a starting point that the Japanese companies need to improve and improve fast. Otherwise their sole purpose of partnering with Crunchyroll is meaningless. People will prefer to watch fansub over theirs.

There are a lot of different types of anime fan in the fandom so everyone have their own ideas as to what is perfect quality and transalation. Plus, the people who like watching dub in the Japanese sense or Americanized version.

Unless the Japanese release 4 types of subtitles translation which will satisfied 4 different groups of people, people will never be happy.

(1) wants the karaoke opening and ending song, the Japanese translation with honorifics, and footnotes
(2) wants translation of the opening and ending songs, with Japanese translation to be accurate as possible
(3) opening and ending songs not necessary be translated, the Japanese translation to be accurate as possible
(4) opening and ending songs to be Americanized, and localized the translation

The video quality to be top notch.

It's hard to please the fandom.

This is my observation of the fandom. Sorry if I forgot anyone. No need to take it personally.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:05 pm Reply with quote
craziplaya21 wrote:
TheTheory wrote:
Shadowlord wrote:
So Naruto Shippuuden is dropped by Dattebayo from now on, right?

In their press release they said they were dropping on January 15th.

oh man, you guys sure are in for a surprise. didn't think people still fall for yhbts

I hope you are right, I can stand to wait a week but the low-res is a deal-breaker.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm praying Viz got the omakes for Shippuden.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9