• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - When It Pours

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Can't blame anyone for dropping Segoku Collection eh gads that show was awful but than again I'm still watching Queen's Blade: Rebellion which is "interesting" to say the least good to see Bamboo's warming up to Mysterious Girlfriend X a little although I have traumatized a few friends by telling them the basic concept of it.
jymmy

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the many detailed reviews, Bamboo. They make by far the most sense to me out of the various impressions and reviews I've read (sexualistation of minors in otaku-aimed comedy anime? Oh my gosh, do the TV network KNOW about this?? :o ), although regarding your comment that each of Sengoku Collection's four episodes is terrible, I'd have to disagree. While, 2, 3 and 4 were certainly terrible, Episode 1 outdoes them all in not containing one shred of originality or character development, however forced. It's truly abominable.

I also appreciate your observations on Mysterious Girlfriend X, being able to, you know, get past something you dislike and look at other things instead. It shows maturity as a reviewer (I'd hesistate, barely, to say person) and elevates your writing to actual objectivity. Not to criticise other reviewers, but when I'm trying to guage quality of a show, I find yours by far the most useful. It doesn't hurt that I largely agree with what you say, either.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Dang it, I'm late. Oh well...
Thank you so very much for the extra effort, Bamboo!! Excellent job!! Very Happy Also, I appreciate that you gave Mysterious Girlfriend X another chance. Smile

Continuing
Both Bodacious Space Pirates and Hunter X Hunter from the Winter season. Kimi to Boku from the Fall season as well.
Kids on the Slope: While I find the romance between Kaoru and Ritsuko is rather boring, not to mention the new girl showing up out of nowhere is just odd, I'm still enjoying this series. The animation, jazz music and references (such as Sentaro's pigeon Anime hyper), and Sentaro himself are so entertaining that I simply can't stop watching.
Space Brothers: Mutta is probably the most interesting character in the entire Spring season. He's in his 30's (rare in modern anime), slightly pessimistic, goofy, determined, and genuinely cares about his brother, who has accomplished more than him. Definitely going to watch to the end!
Tsuritama: I'm enjoying this series more for three reasons. 1. I love the art. 2. The story of how Yuki will eventually come out of his shell is quite endearing so far. 3. I did some research on Enoshima Engi, which is where the dragon myth came from, and I can't wait to see how it will connect to the story. Even though I have a good idea. ;D
Polar Bear Cafe: Cute, realistic animals and Japanese puns are the only reasons why I like this show. Anime hyper
Eureka Seven Ao: Decided to watch the first series along with the new one. There's something very soothing about watching both shows even though they're both mechas and involve war. It's hard to explain...
Mysterious Girlfriend X: I hope to see more supernatural elements in this series besides "crack dream inducing spit". The relationship between Urabe and Tsubaki is rather unique and I hope they grow closer together as the series continues.
Kuroko's Basketball: An average show but I think the partnership between Kuroko and Kagami is quite interesting. Plus, I like basketball. ^__^

On Hold
Fate/Zero, The Woman Called Fujiko Mine, and Folktales from Japan: I'll marathon these shows during the Summer.

Dropping/Will Never Watch
Basically everything else but especially Sankrea. It was such a turn off at the beginning and, after four episodes, I just couldn't force myself to watch it anymore.
BonnKansan

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:10 pm Reply with quote
You seriously deserve combat pay for this, Bamboo.

Anyway, I ended up following a lot more shows than I ever have this season, quite a variety [only really commenting on shows where I disagree a bit with Bamboo]:

Loving: Kids on the Slope, Tsuritama, Space Brothers, Space Pirates [SPAAAACE]

Enjoying: Polar Bear Cafe, Dusk Maiden
Folktales - repetitive, but cute and pairs well with Poyo-Poyo for a family-like Saturday evening
Rock Lee - guilty pleasure, sister and I enjoyed Naruto but aren't superfans, probably putting us in the sweet-spot for liking a dumb parody of the show
Girlfriend X - definitely the most intriguing show of the season, though sister is a bit iffy on the spit aspect. After ep4 we both agree that Oka is the most frightening of all.

Unsure: Nyarko-san - kinda amusing and cute, not quite interesting enough to be a must-see but not quite bad enough to drop without reservation (like I did 7 minutes into Upotte...)

I'll probably wait until a lighter season (and word on how shows play out) before picking up any other shows that look interesting, like Eureka Seven AO.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:
I notice you didn't mention Bodacious Space pirates at all. Are you no longer following it, or maybe just putting it on hold since there's so much else airing right now?

She forgot that one, as well as Saki Side A. They'll both appear in the next column.

Glad to hear she's still following it. I want to see her reaction to last week's episode. Anime catgrin

My stream rankings currently are:
1. Mouretsu Pirates
2. Space Bros
3. Fate/zero
4. Kids on the Slope
5. Lupin the III
6. tsuritama
7. Haiyore! Nyarlko-san
8. Accel World
9. Polar Bear Cafe
10. Hunter x Hunter
11. Dusk Maiden of Amnesia
sainta

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:50 pm Reply with quote
I hope Saint Seiya Omega turns out well. When I heard that there would be an academy, I was afraid it was going to be like Yugioh GX. I was kind of right; there were bullies in the academy and bad and good teachers. Still, I had pictured something worse. I hope the androgynous Ryuho does not turn out to be like Shun who was was defeated and had be helped by somebody else. I'm still curious if Toei is really gonna bring back the old five protagonist since they appear twice in the opening.
skyreno4

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Wow that alot work for bamboo lol

My top show im Enjoying the most is "Kids on the Slope", characters, music of jazz, story romance ahh i hope it keeps getting better and hoping for another second season.

Enjoying: Kids on the slope,Tsuritama,Medaka Box,Dusk Maiden of Amnesia,Mysterious Girlfriend X,Space Brothers,

Drop: Lupin lll A woman called fujiko mine, Polar Bear Cafe, Sankarea, also Eureka AO im going give that one second chance watch 5 or 8 more episodes idk

Last edited by skyreno4 on Wed May 02, 2012 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Already gave my thanks to Bamboo on twitter, but here is what I'm watching:

Fully enjoying:

Kids on the Slope, Tsuritama, Space Brothers, Kuroko's Basketball, Lupin III: A Woman Named Fujiko Mine

Stumbling on, but still maintaining for now:

Jormungand

Dropped:

Folktales of Japan, Polar Bear Cafe, Accel World
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:26 pm Reply with quote
shukero wrote:
I couldnt agree more with the X'd shows but I'm more an surprised that bamboo Up'd both mysterious girlfriend X and Saint Seiya Omega.

I could have sworn she as well as the other podcasters last week absolutely hated Mysterious Girlfriend X, and she also seemed very sarcastic with Zack when they were both talking about Saint seiya Omega. Wierd.

They're technically all "up"d this week because it's the first time they've appeared on the list. Next column will start having shuffled rankings.

Thanks for all your support and kind words, everyone! I really appreciate it!
NotintheMood

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:46 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering if this first column post preview was going to look like a regular column or if Bamboo were going to do some American-Idol-Audition mass cut.
(which I wouldn't have minded reading. . . that might have been amusing!)

But she just went for it!

A-mazing!
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for all the work, that had to take a lot of viewing and typing time.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
Saffire wrote:
Is Sengoku Collection supposed to be an X? The end of the rant sounds like you're done with it, but it's still got a ranking arrow.

Oops, that one slipped by me. That one is supposed to be an X. I guess that will free up room for Saki, Bodacious Space Pirates, Eureka 7 AO and Sankarea. ._.
Four shows can fit in one slot, right? Wink I don't envy your task, and I appreciate the effort you're putting into this.

Great column as always. I'm about 90% in agreement, with some minor shifts and Accel World being considerably higher. I do wish there was some more building of Haru's character, but as a computer nerd, the concept of thought-enhancing software is cool enough that I'm really digging it.

^this.... that said NYARUKO-SAN please add it. since that and others are not on this list (yet) I am not going to talk about them.

I am constantly surprised by kuroko's basketball, it exaggerates a lot of stuff but it does so much else right after episode 1 that I can't help but overlook it, also it does become more realistic. plus I love athletic trainers and their work getting some spotlight.

I have been liking space brothers, it has been kinda filling in the gap that bamboo's favorite show left, I like the characters, muta in particular, and they all feel very human. I do wish more stuff would happen though (maybe that is just the Houston episode talking to me).

Fate/Zero is finally starting to wrap up and it's ending will not disappoint at this rate.

I LOVE!!! accel world, so far for me atleast it has not taken a single misstep I am sorry you don't fell that way. It is rare to see a show that tackles the whole virtual/real scenerio the correct way in my opinion and this one does. I think the pacing is wonderful, the characters are interesting. the world well developed, the fights exciting. in other words amazing sci-fi

I think you are still under rating hunterxhunter but I am going to watch this show for a very long time I think so, we agree there

I dropped medeka box after 4 episodes, I just couldn't grow to like the characters enough, nor do I find them particularly funny. I have also heard a lot that the series makes a down turn, however I will still pay attention to what you say about it.

Dusk madien of amnesia is interesting to me, however I am ready to drop it if it seems to be making bad turns. I didn't care for episode 4 really, however I thought the first 1 was interesting, and the second and third ones well done.

Space pirates still seems like an old fashioned scifi to me and I love it still. the recent arc I find to be interesting but still missing in some of it's initial flair

Jormungand I like to call a smart action show, at least for the first two episodes. it seems like it will be going a lot of places, and I love the characters so far, they seem to have depth to them. I did not enjoy the very vulgar orchestra team, however the show seems to be setting up for a payout in episode 4. also I have to say "her name is roco, she is loco, I say oh no."

PoyoPoyo is still hillarous actually, I was not expect it to pull through based on the first episode but it has done wonderfully.

Polar Bear Cafe I saw the first episode, liked it and have yet to watch the second one.

the other show on the likely to be dropped list is tsuritama, the show is very weird to be weird it feels like. also I am getting the same story in terms of friendship from kids on the slope, which is FAR FAR better. also it needs to start explaining, it other main plot of the aliens and the indian kid with the duck pretty soon.

Kids on the slope, I am only going to say stuff everyone else has not already said 5 times. I love that the main characters are christian, Both my parents LOVE this show, sentai is trying to get this show on adult swim actually and it really deserves to be there.

Hyouka is an odd duck...I will watch it for one more episode at least, but it is easily disappointment of the season for me. the "mysteries" are all pretty weak and it spends to much time on useless stuff. while I am not against the every day mystery thing, they seem to be trying for, they need to come up with far better cases.
MangaNeko

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:50 am Reply with quote
HOORAY!! The Stream for Spring 2012 has arrived and WOW is it a 20 pounder. Smile Bamboo, I bow to your fortitude. I knew this season was a whopper, but I did not expect The Stream to cover so much. I appreciate the 10 or 12 shows that usually make the list and for that reason alone I enjoy the format of The Stream over the usual ANN preview guides.

All of the shows I decided to watch this season have ended up on the list and I cannot wait to see how things shuffle around in 4 weeks.

The one show I am not watching at the moment is Medaka Box. I steered away from it cause I enjoy Sket dance so much, plus Takahashi's Rinne. With so many new shows this season this one seemed so similar, I put it on the back burner.
Born_Gamer_83

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:26 am Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
Born_Gamer_83 wrote:
I can't help but feel that Medaka Box may be dropped before or shortly after the genre shift.

That's assuming the anime can actually get to the genre shift unless the show has been confirmed to be longer than 1-cour.

True. Just have to wait and see I guess.
Merida

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:33 am Reply with quote
For me the biggest hits so far are Kids On The Slope, Tsuritama, Space Brothers and Polar Bear Café. I've been pretty disappointed by Zetman and Jormungand, especially by the latter since people compared it to Black Lagoon which i loved and it's nothing like it IMO. The characters lack any kind of depths. Koko is irratating as hell, are we supposed to find her cute? The boy 'hates weapons and arms dealers', yeah, that really shows...maybe i'm giving up too early on this show and the characters will get some more of a personality than just being 'the gun-crazy lesbian' or 'Koko who's loco' later but i've pretty much lost patience by now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 11