• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Dirty High

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:53 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Disgaea: Ugh, I'm seriously sick of seeing more and more releases and related crap to this game. Shouldn't this franchise die already?

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but I agree. It really is nothing special in a sea of similar SRPGs, the only reason it got attention is the animu trappings. If it weren't for that and the off-kilter sense of humor, it'd be just another JSRPG.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Oh and to the above poster wondering about the "Vanilla" jokes...what male-produced substance has a similar color to vanilla, hmm? Wink

Really? That's the joke? Wow, what a stretch.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's not it.

I think it was meant in terms of "vanilla = generic".
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Mayhaps my mind hast been left in the drainage ditch. Anime smile + sweatdrop
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:40 pm Reply with quote
.hack//Link has just been announced for PSP. YES.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
belvadeer wrote:
Disgaea: Ugh, I'm seriously sick of seeing more and more releases and related crap to this game. Shouldn't this franchise die already?

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but I agree. It really is nothing special in a sea of similar SRPGs, the only reason it got attention is the animu trappings. If it weren't for that and the off-kilter sense of humor, it'd be just another JSRPG.

You won't get flamed man. I actually know a great deal of people who are tired of seeing NIS America keep releasing another Disgaea universe game. They hate that it gets all this sad fan attention. And what's up with this Prinny obsession anyway? I swear, what is it with Japanese people and penguins? It's not that appealing a bird.
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I’m still waiting/hoping/pipe-dreaming for the Gundam game that takes of the “size” and gameplay of Shadow of the Colossus; combines it with the strategy/action-RPG elements of Valkyria Chronicles; and have it all played against the backdrop of several 08th MS Team ground campaigns. Yeah. When does that game come out? Smile
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:27 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
TatsuGero23 wrote:
Woo Woo! I'm getting me a Prinny Doll!

I just have to ask, is there any way of getting it without spending money on a game for a game system (PSP) I don't own?

Yes.

I preordered my copy of the Prinny game a couple days ago. I've only ever played the first Disgaea and never beat it, but I still love Prinnies, so I have to get this game.

As for Star Ocean: Second Evolution, I have my copy preordered at a local store. I still have my copy of the PS1 version but I'm happy to double dip and be able to play it again. However, I really don't like the character redesigns, particularly Rena's. She went from thisto this. What the hell happened to her? The profile ages her up a year but she looks at least five years younger and has none of the spunk. I'm going to have to try to resist throwing my PSP every time I see that thing on screen.

As for Ar Tonelico 2, I've had my copy ordered from the Rosenqueen for months. The first game has been sitting on my shelf since it came out and I've yet to play it. But based on that YouTube video someone posted and the description of the sequel in the article, it looks like both games should be hilariously bad in the story and character department.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:12 am Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Oh and to the above poster wondering about the "Vanilla" jokes...what male-produced substance has a similar color to vanilla, hmm? Wink

Maybe it's the Gackt song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg8iKV--Sh8&feature=related
I facepalm every time I hear this.
He was the influence for cloud so I suppose it would be appropriate Rolling Eyes

Even in that Gackt song, using 'vanilla' is such a stretch. Is there like some Japanese obsession with using the word 'vanilla' to refer to "that"?

Great Rumbler wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's not it.

I think it was meant in terms of "vanilla = generic".

Wait, how is vanilla generic?
Zippydsm
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:21 am Reply with quote
I hope FF13 is not half baked and unpolished like FF12.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:56 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure the idea of the song came from the term "vanilla sex" but I don't know if it's some sort of japanese slang or something.
Why are we even thinking that the joke would have to be perverted though? Maybe he was just implying that she would be a boring character... probably not though.

Judging from the website though it looks like personalities from FF7, FF8 and FF10 were just put together to make the main trio. But the real question is "Will there be moogles?"

I am also tired of Disgaea. There are plenty of obscure JRPG's that are even more witty a recent one I can think of is Persona 4. Not that I should really be comparing those games in any way Anime smallmouth
The designs aren't even really that cute compared to other sprite based games...Not even other Nis ones. Flonne? So not the cutest thing ever (I do like the prinnies though)
Zippydsm
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:00 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure the idea of the song came from the term "vanilla sex" but I don't know if it's some sort of japanese slang or something.
Why are we even thinking that the joke would have to be perverted though? Maybe he was just implying that she would be a boring character... probably not though.

Judging from the website though it looks like personalities from FF7, FF8 and FF10 were just put together to make the main trio. But the real question is "Will there be moogles?"

I am also tired of Disgaea. There are plenty of obscure JRPG's that are even more witty a recent one I can think of is Persona 4. Not that I should really be comparing those games in any way Anime smallmouth
The designs aren't even really that cute compared to other sprite based games...Not even other Nis ones. Flonne? So not the cutest thing ever (I do like the prinnies though)

I don't think so it looks more sci fi based than 12.

I don;t mind moogles not being in it I don;t mind it not being FF like I do mind bland and boring equipment, bland/basic equipment system, poorly thought out or bland skill/ability system.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Josh7289

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:22 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure the idea of the song came from the term "vanilla sex"

Ah, I see, that could be it. Still weird and still a stretch, though.

Quote:
but I don't know if it's some sort of japanese slang or something.

Yeah, probably not, but you never know...

Quote:
Why are we even thinking that the joke would have to be perverted though? Maybe he was just implying that she would be a boring character... probably not though.)

That's what was suggested before by Great Rumbler.

But you know what? This is ridiculous; Todd should just come in here and tell us what kinds of jokes he was referring to in the first place. Laughing

Or perhaps... the joke is on us? And he only left us hanging so he could watch from afar and amuse himself as we feebly attempted to figure out what he meant, digging and searching through every last use of the word 'vanilla'?! Is that it?!?!

[/conspiracy]
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:43 am Reply with quote
Ar Tonelico 2 is finally out?

Mkeh, NIS America? You're excuses are no longer acceptable.

GET
MANA
KHEMIA
ALREADY.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3