• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Super Game Show Bros 3

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Other M is just the same old 'what is femnism' argument again. I imagine most of Other M's stigma for some American gamers is the 'How dare Samus take orders from a man. No man should ever tell a woman what to do" Despite the fact him being a man is not the issue so much as he is her commanding officer, which was established in Fusion. I can only guess people who claim it was a 'departure' to her character haven't played or paid attention to the other (non-Prime) Metroid games.

Developing and shedding light on a character's complex psyche and backstory isn't something we should be frowning upon, unless you just want more bland storyless FPS games. Nor does a woman have to be a gun toting 'I don't need no man in my life' like Lara Croft to be considered 'strong'. That line of thinking probably why video games in the US are still a male dominated medium. 'Strong' comes in all forms, like character growth and development.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I had ignored these episodes in the past because they weren't relevant to me, but I gave this a try out of curiosity. Listening to this episode was revelatory because I hadn't realized how far away from me games had gotten. I was always a pure PC gamer and have been out of touch for so long that I barely understood what anybody was talking about.

I was a little curious about The Witcher; slightly arcane role playing and more cerebral strategy are my native genres. I had not realized that there was, "a lot of boning," in it.

The only impending release that I'm excited about is Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition.

ikillchicken wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
Other M made her a complex and great character and is a much better example than the Prime FPS series, but it's Japanese

Okay. I'm gonna just go ahead and stop you there. If you think Other M was a positive example of a female character then you don't know what that term means.

I have not played Other M or any other game in the series, so my perspective is limited, but the nature of the controversy interests me. I suspect that this episode of Extra Credits is a pretty useful treatment of the subject that doesn't go much into the weeds on it, but points to the chief lessons that can be drawn from it.

It is troubling that TitanXL usually only complains about portrayals of female characters when the point of contention is their being tough, competent and assertive, as though the real problem is that society expects women to be too capable and independent. That kind of portrayal probably can be problematical, but it's not the most serious of problems and its hard to treat somebody's complaints as credible when he only seems to be raise them in defense of women adhering to roles traditionally satisfying to men and sometimes tries to undermine the legitimacy of the subject.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ShinnFlowen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Great podcast again, but I still think you guys didn't pay attention to Ubisoft very well as they had the best conference in terms of games (assassins creed 3, assassins creed 3 liberation, watchdogs and etc.

On the sexism issue, Valkyria Chronicles HAD realistic females that were strong especially Alicia and Isara whom had plenty of problems to deal with. Atelier Meruru the lead female Meruru was extremely tomboyish with lots of confidence, saying that men protect the alchemist is nonsense as their are plenty of STRONG females in Atelier Totori + Meruru that provide such a role.

A STRONG character is found through their personality and actions in a game, not their base design as characters grow in these games. A good example is Totoria from Atelier Totori who started out wimpy and grew to become a fine adventurer.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:45 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
It is troubling that TitanXL usually only complains about portrayals of female characters when the point of contention is their being tough, competent and assertive, as though the real problem is that society expects women to be too capable and independent. That kind of portrayal probably can be problematical, but it's not the most serious of problems and its hard to treat somebody's complaints as credible when he only seems to be raise them in defense of women adhering to roles traditionally satisfying to men and sometimes tries to undermine the legitimacy of the subject.

It's more along the lines of "So for a woman to be a good character, she has to shed her femininity and embrace masculinity in your eyes... interesting". Which says quite a lot on how femininity is looked down upon in western culture and the best way for a woman to be strong is to be as much of a man she can. It doesn't help most people who make these arguments are men themselves, which probably says something. That's the kind of female characters men want, not females. Which I thought was the whole point of these advents.

How about women themselves? Well, surely it says something when anime, manga, and Japanese games tend to have equal, if not, greater female representation than males in their fanbases than western equivalents? Could it be because most Japanese media doesn't fall into that trap? And, in fact, often time takes that very femininity western marketers despite so much and turns it into a strength by embracing it and building upon it? (Magical girl genre, anyone?) Do you really think western marketers would dare try to make a game with a female who wasn't a gun toting, sassy, one-liner snarker? Of course not, they know the western market would never accept anything other than that one specific archetype and cry foul at anything else. It's what keeps females out of starring roles in cartoons and games, or stuck in one single archetype on the off chance they get one. No Sailor Moon, Card Captor Sakura, Altier, Eternal Sonata, Final Fantasy XIII-2, or anything that goes beyond the safe zone is going to be made. There's a reason each Lara Croft reboot continues to fail. As Einstein said, insanity is doing the same thing over and over again yet expecting a different result.

I suppose at the end of the day, you and ikillchicken can feel however you want on the subject, but I do believe actions speak louder than words, and actions seem to indicate women aren't in very much agreement with your side if they're flocking to the alternative.. no?

(For the record, Extra Credits is terrible and often misinformed about every topic they do. Citing that as your source destroys your credibility more than admitting you never played the game series)
Animehermit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:52 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:

It's more along the lines of "So for a woman to be a good character, she has to shed her femininity and embrace masculinity in your eyes... interesting". Which says quite a lot on how femininity is looked down upon in western culture and the best way for a woman to be strong is to be as much of a man she can. It doesn't help most people who make these arguments are men themselves, which probably says something. That's the kind of female characters men want, not females. Which I thought was the whole point of these advents.

How about women themselves? Well, surely it says something when anime, manga, and Japanese games tend to have equal, if not, greater female representation than males in their fanbases than western equivalents? Could it be because most Japanese media doesn't fall into that trap? And, in fact, often time takes that very femininity western marketers despite so much and turns it into a strength by embracing it and building upon it? (Magical girl genre, anyone?) Do you really think western marketers would dare try to make a game with a female who wasn't a gun toting, sassy, one-liner snarker? Of course not, they know the western market would never accept anything other than that one specific archetype and cry foul at anything else. It's what keeps females out of starring roles in cartoons and games, or stuck in one single archetype on the off chance they get one. No Sailor Moon, Card Captor Sakura, Altier, Eternal Sonata, Final Fantasy XIII-2, or anything that goes beyond the safe zone is going to be made. There's a reason each Lara Croft reboot continues to fail. As Einstein said, insanity is doing the same thing over and over again yet expecting a different result.

I suppose at the end of the day, you and ikillchicken can feel however you want on the subject, but I do believe actions speak louder than words, and actions seem to indicate women aren't in very much agreement with your side if they're flocking to the alternative.. no?

(For the record, Extra Credits is terrible and often misinformed about every topic they do. Citing that as your source destroys your credibility more than admitting you never played the game series)

There's a lot of blatant fanboyism as well as Japanese favoritism in this comment. There are tons of female characters in western games that aren't "wise-cracking-gun-toters" and even more who act like actual women. In short, not every female character in a video game is Lara Croft. I could list literally dozens of female characters who don't fit that archetype at all.
ShinnFlowen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:56 pm Reply with quote
There's a lot of blatant fanboyism as well as Japanese favoritism in this comment. There are tons of female characters in western games that aren't "wise-cracking-gun-toters" and even more who act like actual women. In short, not every female character in a video game is Lara Croft. I could list literally dozens of female characters who don't fit that archetype at all.[/quote]

If you don't list the characters and explain how they are just as good or better than your comment does nothing to prove your point. Listing characters that you control his or her personality does not count because you are the character (Points at mass effect and dragon age). You could argue the west does have some strong western females (Uncharted), but how many of them actually play the main protagonist?
Animehermit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:15 pm Reply with quote
ShinnFlowen wrote:
There's a lot of blatant fanboyism as well as Japanese favoritism in this comment. There are tons of female characters in western games that aren't "wise-cracking-gun-toters" and even more who act like actual women. In short, not every female character in a video game is Lara Croft. I could list literally dozens of female characters who don't fit that archetype at all.

If you don't list the characters and explain how they are just as good or better than your comment does nothing to prove your point. Listing characters that you control his or her personality does not count because you are the character (Points at mass effect and dragon age). You could argue the west does have some strong western females (Uncharted), but how many of them actually play the main protagonist?[/quote]

He didn't specifically say main character, but female characters in western gaming.

Look at the females from Mass Effect alone, all of them disprove his point.

What about Triss Merigold from The Witcher?
Madison Paige form Heavy Rain?
Carla Valenti from Fahrenheit?
Hell, what about the female cast from Dragon age as well(both of them)?
Jade from Beyond good an evil?
Lili Zanotto from Pyschonauts?
Hell, Samus form Metroid Prime series can count as well, considering those games were made by Retro Studios which is an American developer.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Glad to hear Zac liked The Witcher 2. I never get tired of it.

As for E3: I'd say it was better than it has been the last couple of years. The Last of Us and Watch Dogs look good, but pretty much all the big stuff was crammed into the first day.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:05 am Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
Madison Paige form Heavy Rain?

And people say me using Samus is insulting.

Madison's entire point in that game was to do stupid things and get captured multiple times for the players own sexual enjoyment, including being forced to strip at gunpoint and be raped, fight off rapists invading her home while she's in her underwear (which turns out to be entirely pointless), strapped to some sick pervert doctor's operating table, and in general just be there to be exploited. Not to mention all the marketing for the game was that one scene of her in the night club and the underwear rape scene in her apartment. Meanwhile, the promotions for the male characters did nothing sexualizing in any shape or form.

Never played the Witcher since I'm not into WRPGs, but given every praise for that game includes the 'you can bone lots of chicks in it' angle, I find that example questionable. Especially when the first Google result is her appearance in Playboy.

(And no, Samus from Prime doesn't count, she's a non-character in those games)

I'm not saying western examples don't exist (Alyx is fine, yes, but let's be honest, could you really tell me much about her backstory and ambitions? Probably not) I'm just saying they're extremely rare. Japanese favortism? I suppose, but that's mainly because it's the clear winner in this case. If we truly sat down and exchanged examples back and forth, I would wager the Japanese side would have more and better examples. And yeah, the 'main protagonist' clause would pretty much evaporate the list of western examples in an instant.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:14 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
It's more along the lines of "So for a woman to be a good character, she has to shed her femininity and embrace masculinity in your eyes... interesting".

This is a complete straw man argument. Nobody has said anything like this. Nor has anyone criticized Japanese games for having feminine female characters. People have criticized them for being weak, ineffectual, dependant, emotionally unstable, etc. None of those are "feminine" traits.

Quote:
It doesn't help most people who make these arguments are men themselves, which probably says something. That's the kind of female characters men want, not females.

You're kidding yourself if you believe the female characters in most Japanese games are what women want. To the contrary, these characters are overwhelmingly designed to be what men want. It's just different male tastes. Western male fans generally get off more on the Tomb Raider archetype. The athletic, sexy, gun toting action girl. So yeah, you see that in western games. On the other hand, Japanese male fans obviously get off on something different. They're a whole lot more into the super cute, often shy, ineffectual or otherwise vulnerable girls who are much more feminine (not saying that's bad) and inspire feelings of devotion and a desire to protect and nurture. So instead you see that archetype a lot in Japanese games.

At the end of the day though, neither of these archetypes are at all about what women want. The opposite in fact.

Quote:
Well, surely it says something when anime, manga, and Japanese games tend to have equal, if not, greater female representation than males in their fanbases than western equivalents?

Look, I'm not gonna get into anime and manga. That's really a whole other discussion and one that can't really be examined on quite the same level because of drastic differences in the respective east and western industries that go well beyond gender portrayals. Plus, I'm pretty sure if we get into that you're just gonna end up shifting the goalposts onto that when your claims about games crumble. So yeah. Nipping this one in the bud: Games are the topic at hand. Not anime and manga.

Quote:
Do you really think western marketers would dare try to make a game with a female who wasn't a gun toting, sassy, one-liner snarker?

ShinnFlowen already addressed why this is blatantly false (and while you're absolutely right that Madison Paige is a terrible character, she is still doesn't fall into the archetype you put forth and therefore is still an example that contradicts your claim).

Quote:
It's what keeps females out of starring roles in cartoons and games, or stuck in one single archetype on the off chance they get one.

I'll agree with you that there are very few female leads in western games. However, this is also fairly true of Japanese games. Most of those games people have listed in fact do not have a female lead. They may have female characters but it still comes down to a man to be the leader. What's more, the ones that do have female leads tend to be the most glaringly male pandering so again, this is hardly about gender equality or giving women what they want.

Quote:
For the record, Extra Credits is terrible and often misinformed about every topic they do.

Dismissing Extra Credits is just a cheap way of dismissing their criticism of other M without actually addressing it.

Quote:
I do believe actions speak louder than words, and actions seem to indicate women aren't in very much agreement with your side if they're flocking to the alternative.. no?

Gonna go ahead and tag this with a big blue citation needed.
ShinnFlowen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:43 am Reply with quote
Ikillchicken pretty much summed up everything so lets all hold hands and watch rainbows!
jl07045

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:49 am Reply with quote
Honestly, the first character that comes to my mind when thinking about great women characters is April Ryan from The Longest Journey and Dreamfall. She's the main character, there are no men to protect her in sight and she goes through an interesting character development.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:38 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
This is a complete straw man argument. Nobody has said anything like this. Nor has anyone criticized Japanese games for having feminine female characters. People have criticized them for being weak, ineffectual, dependant, emotionally unstable, etc. None of those are "feminine" traits.

We're speaking in general terms of how 'strong female' is interpreted in America VS the east. Lara Croft VS Sakura Kinomoto and the like. America has a very narrow definition.

Quote:
You're kidding yourself if you believe the female characters in most Japanese games are what women want. To the contrary, these characters are overwhelmingly designed to be what men want. It's just different male tastes. Western male fans generally get off more on the Tomb Raider archetype. The athletic, sexy, gun toting action girl. So yeah, you see that in western games. On the other hand, Japanese male fans obviously get off on something different. They're a whole lot more into the super cute, often shy, ineffectual or otherwise vulnerable girls who are much more feminine (not saying that's bad) and inspire feelings of devotion and a desire to protect and nurture. So instead you see that archetype a lot in Japanese games.

By your logic, Japanese men have more diverse tastes then, since you get a whole slew of cast members in games. I'm not sure anyone would say Estelle, Rita, and Judith from Tales of Vesperia are all the same type of character, after all. And females seem to love them all regardless. Maybe Japanese men have similar tastes to girls then?

Quote:
Look, I'm not gonna get into anime and manga. That's really a whole other discussion and one that can't really be examined on quite the same level because of drastic differences in the respective east and western industries that go well beyond gender portrayals. Plus, I'm pretty sure if we get into that you're just gonna end up shifting the goalposts onto that when your claims about games crumble. So yeah. Nipping this one in the bud: Games are the topic at hand. Not anime and manga.

You don't really get to make generalized claims and then dismiss all the counter examples that prove you wrong when you get called out on them by Fencedude and others. Don't start a tired "east VS west" argument if you want to back out the second you start losing.

Quote:
ShinnFlowen already addressed why this is blatantly false (and while you're absolutely right that Madison Paige is a terrible character, she is still doesn't fall into the archetype you put forth and therefore is still an example that contradicts your claim).

You're bragging about one bad character archetype being an exception to another bad character archetype... why, exactly? Pick your poison, I suppose.

Quote:
I'll agree with you that there are very few female leads in western games. However, this is also fairly true of Japanese games. Most of those games people have listed in fact do not have a female lead. They may have female characters but it still comes down to a man to be the leader. What's more, the ones that do have female leads tend to be the most glaringly male pandering so again, this is hardly about gender equality or giving women what they want.

Now who's moving goalposts to exclusively 'female starring'? Besides, this year alone we got Final Fantasy 13-2, Black Rock Shooter, Hyper Dimension Neptunia Mk. II, Atelier Meruru: The Apprentice of Arla, and etcetera. And I only cared enough to look up RPGs, not any other genre.

Quote:
Dismissing Extra Credits is just a cheap way of dismissing their criticism of other M without actually addressing it.

Not really. Literally every video they make it misinformed garbage. I'd rather people make their own arguments... preferably after actually playing the game.

Quote:
Gonna go ahead and tag this with a big blue citation needed.

Well since you ignored mine, I'll go ahead and ignore yours for now.

Though if you really don't see most female gamers flocking to Japanese games, then you might want to get out more. I saw loads more female fans of FF13 than Gears of War or Mass Effect... the existence of the Wii/DS doesn't hurt. Nor the fact there's a nice crossover with anime fandom and video game fandom with things like JRPGs and those hugely popular otome. Otome is a huge thing the west has yet to capitalize on. You can't 'nip that in the bud' when anime/video game crossover is so huge.

ShinnFlowen wrote:
Ikillchicken pretty much summed up everything so lets all hold hands and watch rainbows!

Sorry, but playing the 'everything is equal, no one side is at an advantage or better than the other, everyone gets a trophy' card is pointless, and only serves to undermine problems and sweep them under the rug until the problem gets too big.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:00 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
You don't really get to make generalized claims and then dismiss all the counter examples that prove you wrong when you get called out on them by Fencedude and others. Don't start a tired "east VS west" argument if you want to back out the second you start losing.

Ironic considering that's all you've been doing this entire thread. Apparently every female game character in the west is Lara Croft.
Veers

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:32 pm Reply with quote
When this came up in the podcast I immediately started thinking about the Arland Atelier games.

merr wrote:
The Arland games aren't much better. Yes, the female leads go out exploring on their own and whatnot, but, again, a key feature of the battle system involves "protecting" women (though as in Ar Tonelico, other females can be the "protector" sometimes).

This is an interesting point, but I could argue that this is because the alchemist characters are really your trump card and the party knows it so there's no sexist agenda here, it's just common sense to protect someone who can, you know, revive you if you get your face clawed off by a dragon. Also, as ShinnFlower mentioned, you can have a party where other female characters are doing the protecting, not male characters. That said, yeah, still the fact that the mechanics work as they do rather than allowing anyone to cover anyone, may be saying something.

Quote:
More problematic is how every lead is portrayed as a bumbling little blob of moé who no one in-game expects could ever do anything right. Sure, plenty of male game characters start out that way too, but the difference with the Arland games is that the female leads get coddled by everyone. I haven't gotten through Meruru yet, but in Totori and Rorona at least, it seems like every character only wants to help the female lead out because they find her adorably inept.

Really? I mean, in Rorona we have...

Astrid - She doesn't even really help/want to help; she likes Rorona but she's such a troll (to everyone) that I don't think there's really any hand-holding going on here.
Cordelia - Her protective behavior comes as much from her own insecurities as anything to do with Rorona's ineptitude.
Iksel - He wants to explore to find cooking ingredients, he doesn't dote on Rorona, and as her cooking skills increase (if you do that part of the game), even begins to enjoy a friendly rivalry with her, seeing her as more of an equal. If you don't cook with Rorona, he hardly interacts with her.
Sterk - He white-knights for everyone, so he doesn't count.

And in Totori we have...

Ceci - She does kind of dote on Totori in the adorably inept kind of way, but she's her sister so there's nothing wrong with that.
Gino - He wants to become an adventurer and uses Totori as an excuse to go adventuring.
Mimi - There are shades of protecting in Mimi and Totori's relationship because Mimi does see Totori's ditzy side as problematic, but Mimi wouldn't honestly consider Totori a rival if she didn't honestly respect her abilities/potential.
Mel - Protects Totori up to a point, per Ceci's request, then respects the adventuerer rank Totori earns, even if she does still dote on her a bit simply because they've known each other forever.

When you finish the games and go talk to other characters, sure a few may express surprise, but many say something along the lines of "I knew you could do it!" or "great job!" That hardly seems like "every character only wants to help the female lead out because they find her adorably inept" to me.

Quote:
Even when you reach the end, the message basically seems to be "Wow! How surprising that a frail little ingenue like you managed to accomplish something!" The games are designed to present the leads as non-threatening, weak women who must be guided and protected. Unlike the typical klutzy lead RPG guy or the flaky shoujo manga heroine, whose flaws are intended to make the characters relatable, the "flawed" heroines of the Arland trilogy seem more like they were intended to capitalize on the Japanese mentality that weak women are sexually and emotionally attractive.

This is a more fair criticism than your previous one. I won't argue that one huge appeal to the games is how adorably inept the female main characters start out. That experience of guiding them through the game is part of the appeal, but I don't think the other characters in the game do that very much, besides calling attention to their clutziness sometimes, precisely because the point is to not take too much away from the player feeling like they're going through this growing experience with the MC themselves.

At the same time, though, besides how you spend your game time (and thus which ending you get), there aren't really many ways you can alter the MCs' character development. My point being, it's not like you can expressly chose to nurture the characters--you either play the game or you don't. I never felt like I was the one making the decisions or steering the plot; I never felt like I was doing something in the game because I wanted to, I was doing stuff because Rorona wanted to, or because Totori wanted to--they had goals and as the player you make sure they get to see them through, but because the games never really break the fourth wall, never really call attention to the player's hand in things, I never felt like "I am doing this because she can't."

The main female characters in the Arland games start out weak an inept, but the whole point is that by the end of the game they're strong, they've learned things about themselves and their friends, they've blown up badass monsters, they've accomplished what they sat out to (including proving to everyone who doted on them that they, in fact, are not as weak and inept as first thought), and by then the weak and inept thing is really played more like a joke in many cases. Rorona may still be a klutz and Totori may still be unable to read the atmosphere, but they're still very capable and the other characters in the game may joke about it, but they are generally acknowledge their growth and are glad to share in the girls' accomplishments.

I found Rorona's never-give-up attitude really endearing and while that attitude may have come from the fact that Rorona acknowledges she's got shortcomings, I don't feel like I liked Rorona because she had a helpless bimbo element or some other engineered flaws. I liked Rorona because she had a goal, she had drive, she had gradually growing confidence, and I wanted to see that realized. Same with Totori, except I found Totori a bit more annoying.

Am I saying all this means the Arland games get a free pass and aren't sexist? Nope. Am I saying its main characters are the poster children for strong, independent female characters? Nope. I'm just saying I don't think it's as bad as you're making it out to be.

I'm curious, if you've seen ARIA, would you call that sexist?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9