• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Revenge of the 90s Part II: Ice To See You

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:48 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
It's my belief that the reason [Takahata] hasn't done anything since Yamadas is Ghibli's producers intentionally marginalize him and force him to shoot his projects their way, which he obviously disagrees on doing. And he's older than Miyazaki, so I'd like to see him get in one more movie before he dies.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-09-03/studio-ghibli-isao-takahata-confirms-he-has-new-work

He sort of marginalizes himself though. His works have never been crowd-pleasers, he does passion projects that he wants to do. Good movies and often acclaimed by critics and peers, but difficult to justify fast-tracking when bills need to be paid. That and you get the impression that he needs inspiration to do a project and takes his time doing his work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:05 am Reply with quote
Haven't seen Patlabor 2 in a long time. Right Stuf has the deluxe Bandai VIsual USA DVD in the bargain bin (with or without the first movie). CD Japan has the Blu-ray with English subtitles, but of course we're talking the usual Japanese prices. Too bad the BVUSA release didn't re-use the Manga Video dub.

Never seen Giant Robo, though I've been meaning to.

Probably should get the Utena box sets from Nozomi. Only seen the show as the Tagalog dub of Ursula's Kiss with all the weird name changes.

Got the Platinum holiday edition of Evangelion last Christmas. Show really holds up, especially since it wasn't butchered like the Tagalog dub was. Probably not a good thing that Shinji is the character I identify with the most.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:22 am Reply with quote
Nice to hear someone else say what I've been saying about SHinji and Eva for years I get sick of the "stupid jock" posteruing surrounding Shinji. I always related to Shinji watching it the first time I went "wow that's 14 year old me". Also Justin's enthuseing over Kite and Gynocyber made me put them at the top of my Netflix que so here's hopeing I'm not too traumitized by that experince.
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Don't really care about the people busting your guys chops about your choices, just wanted to say GREAT SHOW !

I've seen a lot of the stuff you guys mentioned, or at least heard of it but there was quite a few obscurer shows mentioned as well (a lot coming from Mike....of course Laughing ) So I've got some stuff to check out now.

Can't wait for the 2000's show, when will that be out? Judging by the last Revenge of podcast 2 months from now?
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Spastic: How many "announcements" has he made since Yamadas again? I'm aware of the new gig, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Quote:
His works have never been crowd-pleasers, he does passion projects that he wants to do. Good movies and often acclaimed by critics and peers, but difficult to justify fast-tracking when bills need to be paid.

Well, you know, if Ghibli can twice bet on a son of a guy who's only experience prior to animation was architecture, they should give Miyazaki's second a shot, too. It says everything that they were going to sink the ship, if Arrietty bombed, rather than greenlight anything from Takahata. I hope he shows them up for that.

Quote:
That and you get the impression that he needs inspiration to do a project and takes his time doing his work.

He doesn't need inspiration. I've seen him in person, and he's totally together.
DRWii

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Jrittmayer wrote:
Can't wait for the 2000's show, when will that be out? Judging by the last Revenge of podcast 2 months from now?

To quote Zac himself:
Quote:
Likely September for the 00s.
superdeformed

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Thank you Zac for reminding me of all the horrible techno crap I've downloaded off of Napster and/or Kazaa back in the day.

The Rubber Ducky song has been in my head all day.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Anymouse

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I will reiterate I could not get deep into Evangelion. It may simply be because I was never deep enough into the subculture, and I had not watched Tekkaman Blade first. Smile To me it was just an action/fanservice show at least for the first 10 episodes, and it sounds like it really only got popular because it was a TV anime rather than movie or OVA. Certainly there were movies far better in the 1980's. It was also the second show I ever tried to watch after I first got into anime with R.O.D the TV. I liked Air TV a lot more than Evangelion to be frank, and that was undoubtedly a flawed production. This is just my Evangelion rant, and I don't want too get to negative. I might just watch the movies someday.

I would have to agree with Sevakis that the scene in the train station when Shinji is about to leave is exceptionally good. The problem is that most other parts of the first 10 episodes don't live up to that scene. Besides the opening and ending credits, of course.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:32 pm Reply with quote
PlatinumHawke wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Singling out specific items just has the odds against it, there's no one solitary shining star that makes itself a clear pick.

Willing to bet that Gurren Lagann and Haruhi have a place on a good 75% of all the user lists.

You're implying that TTGL is a bad show.
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:21 pm Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
Cheesecracker wrote:
They say 'it was bad' which always sounded like an authoring/mastering issue.

The US DVDs had a noticeably unnatural glow. This is the only comparison shot I could find, with the US version on top.

Found my DVDs and had a look. What I got was not the same(as good?) as the control that was presented but also not as bad as the other example given.

I think calibration(which is highly inconsistent from display to display)is part of the issue. I did these captures on a PC, when I watch it on my 40" the image in question looks more like the control. I think this and other scenes were altered with the same flare out. It occurs in the opening scene(if I were willing to cry conspiracy, I would guess they were trying to hide the nudity of a minor*(out out damn spot(s)) and obscure the other um substances). If that's all that looks bad then I don't care. It's does seem that way, the image doesn't look blasted thru out the whole movie. I think the rest of the imagery looks fine. Could be better, deserves better...yes.

Using the chapter break as a gauge(white text on a black background - if I can make that assumption). The black looked grey so I turned the gamma down and the image in question starts to look more like the control. Yes, the shift was was targeted to reduce the effect and did create other issues but I was just playing around and whatever.

I threw in a normal shot for contrast, to show that it's not like the whole movie is like that.

*The shot right before the close up of Rei in the example is also full frontal nudity.

http://s16.postimage.org/mojqd23id/EVA.jpg
staab99

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
PlatinumHawke wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Singling out specific items just has the odds against it, there's no one solitary shining star that makes itself a clear pick.

Willing to bet that Gurren Lagann and Haruhi have a place on a good 75% of all the user lists.

You're implying that TTGL is a bad show.

It's not a bad show, but a severely overrated show that every fan boy masturbated too this show when it first came out. Don't get me wrong, it's an alright show, but not THAT great.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Speak for yourself, it's my favorite anime ever (and I didn't watch ut until 2011) and possibly my favorite TV show of all time.

I'll still waiting for an anime as epic (TTGL is one of the very few shows where "epic" is an understatement of titanic proportions) as it, but we still sadly haven't gotten one.
braves

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:28 pm Reply with quote
As mentioned in the podcast, Satoshi Kon did work on Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. It was his directorial debut (enshutsu/episode director-wise anyways). I've only watched 4 episodes of Jojo's (3-6; 10-13 in chronological order), but Kon's episode (5/12) is by far the best one. The other episodes felt rushed to me, but Kon's was the only one where you felt like somebody finally got the pacing and the mood right for the whole thing. Compare it to the series finale helmed by the director Hiroyuki Kitakubo (a respectable director in his own right) and the difference is still apparent.

It's also interesting from the perspective that you see Kon working with people that would show up in his later works: Hiroyuki Okiura, Hideki Hamasu, Michiyo Suzuki, Norio Matsumoto, Kouichi Arai, etc.

Admittedly, I haven't watched a whole bunch of 90s anime, but my top 3 would be: Eva, Patlabor 2, Yu Yu Hakusho, in that order.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DRWii

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Cheesecracker wrote:
It's does seem that way, the image doesn't look blasted thru out the whole movie. I think the rest of the imagery looks fine. Could be better, deserves better...yes.

I also don't have too much of a problem with the quality overall, it's just that the image I linked to was the only example I could find using an image search.

It also wouldn't surprise me if the comparison was (unintentionally?) between the US DVD and the Japanese "Renewal" editions, which would make the flaws stand out even more than before.
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Speak for yourself, it's my favorite anime ever (and I didn't watch ut until 2011) and possibly my favorite TV show of all time.

I'll still waiting for an anime as epic (TTGL is one of the very few shows where "epic" is an understatement of titanic proportions) as it, but we still sadly haven't gotten one.

well, if you say so, i may have to revisit it. i watched the first 3 or 4 episodes some years ago and was really really bored.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 15