• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Missing 14-Year-Old Girl Reportedly Headed to Ikkicon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like the classic case of the angry teen running off with a clearly suspicious character just to rebel or whatever, and not thinking about the consequences. Let's hope someone finds them, and no harm is done. If she went willingly things might get more messy though.
sunflowerseed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:24 pm Reply with quote
I hope she wises up and gets away fast as she can before he finally snaps. She is almost young enough to be his grand daughter. Like they said there can't be any thing good come out of this. I remember back in the 1960's being told not to get in any ones car , stranger or not, and it was taught regularly in the 1970's. Sure hope she gets away the 1st chance she can before its too late.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:30 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
They are REALLY wanted for a series of serial robberies in the area, grand theft, and a few other nice felonies. They are a Bonnie-and-Clyde two person crime spree.

The "going convention hopping" is probably nothing more than a ruse. They fled town in a U-Haul truck, looking to re-locate somewhere else. I'd check MEXICO.

wut?
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Actually they still might show up to this convention. I just noticed at the Ikkicon page that it starts in 12 hours. They could still be in the car traveling and not checking the news. There are a lot of variables at work here and I wouldn't rule anything in or out. It really is going to come down to whether they were really going to Ikkicon to begin with and just what the mind set of the 40 year old guy is here (anyone who's seen those NBC Dateline stings should realize pedophiles can be completely oblivious and they aren't always the brightest bulbs on the block, so to speak).
hexenkessel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:11 am Reply with quote
white trash romance is so beautiful
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:04 am Reply with quote
I really hope the kid is brought back safe and unharmed soon. Family therpy and having both the mother and father sitting down and talking to the daughter about this whole incident is what really needs to happen.

I really hope this ends on both a postively and that the family is able to see their daughter again. The mother must be out of her mind worrying right now.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:12 am Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:

Here's the real problem, if there HAS to be one- so we've got a 14 year-old whose life and security are in danger. Why, then, are half the posters on the first page of this thread more concerned about someone taking away their anime?

....and that's the sickening part. *sighs.* Who the hell cares about giving anime a "bad name" when there really is NOTHING that has to do with anime at all? It just says that they're reportedly going to anime cons.

If anything, I believe that any con on the way to CA will hopefully give a better chance of them being found.
pparker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:50 am Reply with quote
sunflowerseed wrote:
I hope she wises up and gets away fast as she can before he finally snaps. She is almost young enough to be his grand daughter. Like they said there can't be any thing good come out of this. I remember back in the 1960's being told not to get in any ones car , stranger or not, and it was taught regularly in the 1970's. Sure hope she gets away the 1st chance she can before its too late.

I grew up in Oklahoma and Texas, and still have lots of relatives there living in rural communities, and yes, the kids were and probably still are far more naive. The daily level of threat is far lower than urban areas. Our car and house doors were unlocked, kids wandered all over hell and back by themselves, and in my entire childhood there was never a direct (known) threat to any children. Of course, by age 14, I knew virtually every person in my town by sight. Tecumseh is a rural town of 6,600 people, not much over the 4,000 of mine.

The Internet, where they are allowed access, has educated the kids a bit more about the world outside, but I would venture she is highly un-equipped to understand or deal with her situation. That's pure conjecture... maybe she does know what she's doing and making an informed decision. But I rather see it as a lack of social education leading to a false view of the situation, her thinking this is just a cool way to run away from home.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:53 am Reply with quote
I'd make a tasteless comment on this sounding like the plot to an anime, but -- oh snap.

Seriously, guys, the only reason this was mentioned is because it has to do with a girl going to an anime con. Otherwise it would be a standard news item, you see these reports of missing kids with suspicious older men all the time.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:40 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
kokuryu wrote:
They are REALLY wanted for a series of serial robberies in the area, grand theft, and a few other nice felonies. They are a Bonnie-and-Clyde two person crime spree.

The "going convention hopping" is probably nothing more than a ruse. They fled town in a U-Haul truck, looking to re-locate somewhere else. I'd check MEXICO.

wut?

Did anyone bother to read the actual stories about what was going on?

TOGETHER they robbed a store, broke into several local houses and robbed valuables from it, broke into several cars and took items, stole a U-Haul truck that someone was in the process of unloading, and fled town IN the U-Haul truck itself. The cops said there were OTHER felonies they had committed as well, but declined to comment on what they were. They also said that the girl was an active participant in all the crimes, and the police were looking into a string of other robberies that had happened in the area earlier because the M.O. is the same. They believe the pair may have been doing their crime spree for quite some time.

As expected, the family does not want this spread around the country, so she is "missing" and "kidnapped" instead of armed and dangerous, and he is a "pedo child kidnapper" - which will spur people to look out for them more. I am sure she probably mentioned she would like to visit Ikkicon to one of her friends at one point, which is why they added that to the alert. And the "public" picture they released of her does not look like her at all. I think someone posted the more recent picture of her in this thread. Just color the hair black and cut it short, and that is probably what she looks like now. Nothing at all like any other pictures. And why would they know that she was going to dye her hair black?

There is much more to this story that what is being said. What would push a 14 year old to take up a life of crime with a 40 year old and actually run away to escape from home in such a spectacular fashion? Why is she so desperate to change her looks and identity so nobody will recognize her anymore? Why is she willing to risk DEATH (with the robberies) to do all this?

It's scary to even think of what could push a person to do all this so desperately.
pparker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:01 am Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
configspace wrote:
kokuryu wrote:

wut?

TOGETHER they robbed a store, broke into several local houses and robbed valuables from it, broke into several cars and took items, stole a U-Haul truck that someone was in the process of unloading, and fled town IN the U-Haul truck itself. The cops said there were OTHER felonies they had committed as well, but declined to comment on what they were. They also said that the girl was an active participant in all the crimes, and the police were looking into a string of other robberies that had happened in the area earlier because the M.O. is the same. They believe the pair may have been doing their crime spree for quite some time.

As expected, the family does not want this spread around the country, so she is "missing" and "kidnapped" instead of armed and dangerous, and he is a "pedo child kidnapper" - which will spur people to look out for them more. I am sure she probably mentioned she would like to visit Ikkicon to one of her friends at one point, which is why they added that to the alert. And the "public" picture they released of her does not look like her at all. I think someone posted the more recent picture of her in this thread. Just color the hair black and cut it short, and that is probably what she looks like now. Nothing at all like any other pictures. And why would they know that she was going to dye her hair black?

There is much more to this story that what is being said. What would push a 14 year old to take up a life of crime with a 40 year old and actually run away to escape from home in such a spectacular fashion? Why is she so desperate to change her looks and identity so nobody will recognize her anymore? Why is she willing to risk DEATH (with the robberies) to do all this?

It's scary to even think of what could push a person to do all this so desperately.

WHERE are you reading this? I read your earlier post and thought you were kidding. The local news link doesn't mention any of this.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:34 am Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
WHERE are you reading this? I read your earlier post and thought you were kidding. The local news link doesn't mention any of this.

Here's a link that mentions what he stole before leaving. She went with a guy sending her sexually explicit text messages. Shocked (However, the "sending nude photos" link also shows that teens are sendig explicit text messages to each other too. Not that I'm defending the guy or anything.)

Some people just need to give their children an extra talk about cellphones, text messages, sending nude photos....

It's like this current generation has a lack of common sense.
pparker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:51 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
pparker wrote:

Here's a link that mentions what he stole before leaving. She went with a guy sending her sexually explicit text messages. Shocked (However, the "sending nude photos" link also shows that teens are sendig explicit text messages to each other too. Not that I'm defending the guy or anything.)

Some people just need to give their children an extra talk about cellphones, text messages, sending nude photos....

It's like this current generation has a lack of common sense.

Yeah, I saw that one. It just says he stole money from his workplace before they left. Makes sense. If he works in a convenience store, he's unlikely to have a large savings account to fund travel. However, nothing else is mentioned, e.g., her being involved in felonies that may string back over time.

Again from my experience, even recently visiting back home, the reach of urban culture into the hinterland is much, much lower then people would assume. We think of the Internet making culture and education ubiquitous. And yes, my cousin has an iPhone, but she travels extensively. But there's still no computer in every bedroom, if there is one at all. The rest of the family lives in the more or less cultural cocoon provided by TV and local interests, and the environment is so different that even TV hasn't influenced them that much. All the bad things happen in "those cities", and I'm not being deprecating--that's generally the truth from their perspective.

It isn't a new lack of common sense. The lack has been there all along, but it's only ignorance in a specific context. "Common" sense is relative to your environment.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:56 am Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
kokuryu wrote:
configspace wrote:
kokuryu wrote:

wut?

Yeah, where ARE you getting this? It's not all that farfetched, but you're the only person I've seen thus far that gives that version of the story...
Sora/Sanctuary

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:04 am Reply with quote
all i can say is this will not make a good impresion for anime fans, and convention security is going to a lot stricter not just at ikkicon but any were that the feds think they might be.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9