• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses Aquarion EVOL TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Apollo-kun wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
only licensed for streaming? Somewhat useless now that it's over. I would have definitely picked this up if it was released on Blu-Ray as I enjoyed this one far more than the original Aquarion series.

Sloppy reading on my part - I thought this had been licensed for physical media. Well, with the exception of some noitaminA titles, Funi tends to eventually release those titles that it initially streams.
Speaking of which, was there a particular reason they never released "Rainbow: NRnS" on DVD? I loved it when they streamed it on Hulu back in 2010, and it seemed like it had a pretty broad appeal compared to some of the other stuff they put on DVD. Was its viewership really low or something? I never really heard any solid reasons.

Yeah, Rainbow is one of those rare examples of a Funi stream that never did, and likely won't ever, become a Funi physical release. I would argue it isn't really a "Funi" type show. Funi is about comedies, shonen and action/adventure and Rainbow is more of a gritty drama. Funi seems to have a "brand" of show they go after, unlike Sentai, which is all over the map and eclectic as hell. I suspect strongly that Funi is in possession of numbers that indicate Rainbow would not justify the cost of a dub (i.e. from streaming and from customer surveys).
That's very true. Unfortunate, because it's one of those things that I'd love to have sitting on my shelf, you know? One of the rare series that felt very raw and gritty, which was a welcome change in pace from most stuff that was released that year. Ah well... :S
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Yeah, Rainbow is one of those rare examples of a Funi stream that never did, and likely won't ever, become a Funi physical release. I would argue it isn't really a "Funi" type show. Funi is about comedies, shonen and action/adventure and Rainbow is more of a gritty drama. Funi seems to have a "brand" of show they go after, unlike Sentai, which is all over the map and eclectic as hell. I suspect strongly that Funi is in possession of numbers that indicate Rainbow would not justify the cost of a dub (i.e. from streaming and from customer surveys).

That gets me a-thinking that FUNi really should reconsider there stance on being dub-only. Sentai and others seem to have made decent success going that route, and they don't have DBZ and FMA to fall back on when sales don't do well. Sub-only is a way to still get the shows out and appease some of those fans while not making it a financial risk. In regard to what FUNi licenses and releases, they've done there share of grittier stuff too, Baccano, Speed Grapher, Basilisk, Blassreiter, Casshern Sins, tons of others. I see no reason in their company philosophy to not release Rainbow and Tatami Galaxy aside from stream numbers and surveys showing they won't be successful.

Criterion doesn't dub all of the Japanese films they release, if any, maybe FUNi should add an "artsy" brand to their company that deals in this sort of stuff. Affordable, sub-only, more cerebral.
iCards

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:48 am Reply with quote
I'm a bit surprised, but happy that I can add EVOL to my collection eventually.

I guess those surveys a while back really do help.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:38 am Reply with quote
@ walw6pK4Alo - I've seen people urge Funi to lose its "dub everything" policy before. As a consumer who has no objection to sub-only releases, I have no personal investment in their strategy, but stepping back and looking at it from a business standpoint, they are probably right in maintaining it. Again, it all goes back to their decision to "brand" their material and "we dub everything" is part of their company's brand.

Also, what I meant by "gritty drama" was also that Rainbow has no SF or fantastical element unlike the other titles you mentioned.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:31 am Reply with quote
Oh boy oh boy! Time to relive spoiler[Zessica's] interminable anguish and heartbreak in English!
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:09 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering if they were ever going to go after this, since they got the first season. Guess that solves that.
mistressjaskra

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:19 pm Reply with quote
So my question is...if the licensed it what the fudge happened to it? It's not available for streaming in sub, buying or anything on FUNimation's website? >_>
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:22 pm Reply with quote
mistressjaskra wrote:
So my question is...if the licensed it what the fudge happened to it? It's not available for streaming in sub, buying or anything on FUNimation's website? >_>

it ran into some speed bumps apparently. it's brought up in the most recent ANNCast in the twitter questions segment
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3