• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more
Please consider that this article is over 24 days old before starting a discussion.

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cowboy Bebop BD Box to Include Novel, Ein Picture Drama

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oblivious247

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:49 pm Reply with quote
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
I'd recommend you do your shopping at amazon.co.jp. Some titles are pretty expensive, but there are quite a few cheapies.

The shipping on amazon jp is expensive so once you include that it tends to balance out with yesasia and its free shipping. I mean I shop around and try to find the best prices, but in my experience these things are pretty expensive in general
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Alright, but we've strayed away from what you first said about the world of Japanese pricing.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:

It ended like it did. The better off the series stays dead, the better. Overhyped crap.

Whoah watch out guys, we got a badass over here. And with a Madoka avatar no less? Yeah that show wasn't overhyped at all.

Anyways, the lack of an english dub here is a deal breaker. I have no desire to watch Bebop in Japanese as the english dub is my favorite dub ever. Even if there were subs included I don't think I would buy this Sad .
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Wakazhi wrote:
So....um.....since Bandai Entertainment isn't really around anymore, I wonder who's going to rescue-license the show (Sony maybe?...)

I doubt it. Sony sub-licensed the movie to Image Entertainment, who released the recent Blu-Ray, and the movie also turned up on a double feature of theirs'. I would expect FUNimation or Sentai (Media Blasters?) to rescue Cowboy Bebop eventually. It's just too popular a title NOT to see a rescue.

It would be nice if the English dub was on the Blu-Ray though. It's happening with bunches of other titles (including those released to Blu-Ray in the US), so why not Bebop?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:12 pm Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:

Whoah watch out guys, we got a badass over here. And with a Madoka avatar no less? Yeah that show wasn't overhyped at all.

If the only response you can give is "oh yeah? Well YOUR favorite show is overhyped too!" maybe your position isn't very strong.

Also get back to us when Madoka's become the most played late night anime in the history of US TV.
oblivious247

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:56 pm Reply with quote
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
Alright, but we've strayed away from what you first said about the world of Japanese pricing.

Well you also have to include that Amazon sells at a higher discount. The list price is comparable to what YesAsia charges.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Right, I don't know anybody ballin' enough for MSRP, and the success of price aggregators like Kakaku and even amazon itself indicates Japanese by and large aren't either. It's the same reason people flock to Book Off and Yodobashi Camera. Which brings me back to what I said: there be cheapies. Just not for people thousands of miles away.

On a related note, I was also really surprised to see that video rental stores like Tsutaya also make serious money renting out CDs and often have 100 yen/DVD promos for rentals. The size and proliferation of rental stores also probably has something to do with that MSRP.
reanimator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:20 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
reanimator wrote:
I think the reason why Cowboy Bebop is popular with fan in the west is that show has Hollywood film references which western fans can recognize. Characters themselves are western style characters instead of Japanese style. Probably that's why it's not popular among Asian fans.

Most importantly, the show was shown TV. TV reached out to all kinds of people, not just anime fans.

Can we please not continue this false impression that Cowboy Bebop was not popular in Japan? It was plenty popular. It just wasn't AS popular as over here.

You think they made a Cowboy Bebop movie because of its popularity here? Think again. It didn't even air on Adult Swim until after the movie already premiered in Japan. In fact, it aired the day after.

Hey I'm just expressing my opinion. My opinion is just personal thoughts and speculations. Does it mean that I'm not entitled to personal opinion even false impression?

I didn't say anything about the movie. From I've seen, non-anime fans in the US seem to remember Cowboy Bebop well because of TV.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:58 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:

Hey I'm just expressing my opinion. My opinion is just personal thoughts and speculations. Does it mean that I'm not entitled to personal opinion even false impression?

You are entitled to it, but other people are also entitled to point out places where you are factually wrong
reanimator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:34 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
reanimator wrote:

You are entitled to it, but other people are also entitled to point out places where you are factually wrong

I'll just shut up. I don't want to argue with folks armed to the teeth with data.

Let's get back to the Japanese pricing which put people in shock.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:44 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

If the only response you can give is "oh yeah? Well YOUR favorite show is overhyped too!" maybe your position isn't very strong.

Also get back to us when Madoka's become the most played late night anime in the history of US TV.

I guess I try to not be too opinionated when it comes to arguing about cartoons Rolling Eyes .
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:50 am Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:

It ended like it did. The better off the series stays dead, the better. Overhyped crap.

You seriously don't think Cowboy Bebop is overhyped? People talk like its the second coming of Jesus by the fanbase over here. I won't say its a bad anime or anything, but its obviously viewed as much greater than it actually is, mainly because its what got a lot of people into anime or was their first "Mature" anime.
superdry

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:55 am Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

I guess I try to not be too opinionated when it comes to arguing about cartoons Rolling Eyes .

You can. Just be prepared to defend it as if you're defending a PhD thesis. Razz
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:27 am Reply with quote
a Cowboy Bebop blu ray? are you freakin' serious?

wow, I have the most rotten luck when it comes to this sort of thing, here I am just having re-watched Cowboy Bebop this summer on dvd for the first time in like 8 years and now this happens

what's crazy is the same exact thing happened when I re-watched R.O.D The TV for the first time in 5 years in the summer of 2010 and just a few months later (around this very same time actually) was when the blu rays for that were announced (which I gotta tell ya, surprised the hell out of me), what's going on here man?

oh well though, no big deal, at least now when I watch Cowboy Bebop again it will be in HD and that will also give me the perfect excuse to re-watch it yet again when it becomes available
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:14 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

You seriously don't think Cowboy Bebop is overhyped?

Nope. I know it wasn't directed towards me, but I was compelled to answer it.

Which brings me to my next question.

You seriously don't think that Madoka is overhyped?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6