• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2009 Fullmetal Alchemist Debut Gets Australian Simulcast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I have been responding to points made in this thread and points made by others for the reasons that they download fansubs. So these reasons, they come off as excuses to me over legitimate complaints, considering where the industry is heading and what they are doing. So say "Strawman" which is: To "attack a straw man" is to create the illusion of having refuted a proposition by substituting a superficially similar proposition (the "straw man"), and refuting it, without ever having actually refuted the original position. When I'm responding to fansubs in general, where this justification that downloading a fansub because an HD option doesn't exist when the industry is moving towards legal streaming, moving towards HD streaming, so just because it doesn't exist now isn't a justification to steal it as I've said. Explain to me how that is a "Strawman" I referenced sentiments expressed in this thread and others in my previous post about how I feel that there are moving goalposts with fansubs that the industry will never be able to meet as they are constantly moving. You scream "Straw man"

I explain how I came to the conclusion of being patient considering what the industry is doing, that I feel that there is a benefit in doing so, that the industry is giving legal streams, simul-casting and pay-for-downloads, and with new series faster than ever before. And yet you dismiss my post with "straw man". As if the points I'm raising, the request to wait and not do something is not addressing the issue that has been raised.

To put what you think is a straw man argument up.

You: What the heck do you think has driven companies to start releasing legitimate streams? It certainly was not because people have been patient. These are deficiencies that need to be addressed, not brushed aside.

Me: But to think that fansubs are the sole cause of this movement is odd, considering that they would look more to iTunes and TV models, models which the little respected R1 distributors have been pushing for.

You: See? You just pulled the same BS all over again. I never even once said that fansubs were what forced the industry to start providing streams.

If that were so why are they providing them? I responded to your question and you say that that is a straw man because you basically said it was the impatient people what has caused legal streaming to happen, but you then go on to say that no it's not true you didn't say that. Fansub users are impatient consumers. That is why I said "I find it odd as a sole influence."
Xanas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Would iTunes have existed without Napster though? Maybe eventually, but I doubt it would have been as soon as it did. There certainly is a case to be made for the willingness of the industry to change being increased by people not working with it where it's at.

(And I don't necessarily agree with that btw, I am not the type that says the industry should "change or die" because I would much rather the options stay as they are than see a dead industry. Sadly, regardless of my own opinion I can't force people to change and I don't think anyone else can do it either.)

Quote:

When I'm responding to fansubs in general, where this justification that downloading a fansub because an HD option doesn't exist when the industry is moving towards legal streaming, moving towards HD streaming, so just because it doesn't exist now isn't a justification to steal it as I've said

Well, I'd agree with you that it's not "justification" in terms of "making something right" that is wrong by default (which is where I disagree, I don't think it's wrong by default, I think it's neutral). It is what I would call a reason, and I'd even admit it's not a particularly good one by itself.

Anyway, I think the main reason people want to fansub it is because they want to watch the show and for many lately (including myself to some extent) the HD options are a more pleasant way to do that. I will not be watching this show in fansub regardless though because I love the FMA dub and want to see the Funimation release far more than this.

I did watch the Hulu streams for Shikabane Hime. I also watched it on Funimation.com without the advertisements (which were largely annoying on Hulu because they don't have enough ads there... lol). I also downloaded some of the 720p rips and went back to Funimation because it was easier. But I don't think I supported Funimation by doing that, they don't even have ads on those episodes. I actually am costing them more by going there since they have to pay the bandwidth costs. It's difficult for me to see how this model is supposed to serve them. I figured that it was likely Hulu may charge enough that they end up breaking even there with the ads, otherwise I suspect they wouldn't be working to get this on their own site.

It would be nice to know if the industry is really making money from youtube/hulu/etc. Do these streaming options actually help them right now or do they just provide some "legal option" which theoretically is supposed to help them in the long run by making more people look down on fansubs? In theory crunchyroll is paying them more since they actually have the subscription bit going there.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I did watch the Hulu streams for Shikabane Hime. I also watched it on Funimation.com without the advertisements (which were largely annoying on Hulu because they don't have enough ads there... lol). I also downloaded some of the 720p rips and went back to Funimation because it was easier. But I don't think I supported Funimation by doing that, they don't even have ads on those episodes. I actually am costing them more by going there since they have to pay the bandwidth costs. It's difficult for me to see how this model is supposed to serve them. I figured that it was likely Hulu may charge enough that they end up breaking even there with the ads, otherwise I suspect they wouldn't be working to get this on their own site.

It would be nice to know if the industry is really making money from youtube/hulu/etc. Do these streaming options actually help them right now or do they just provide some "legal option" which theoretically is supposed to help them in the long run by making more people look down on fansubs? In theory crunchyroll is paying them more since they actually have the subscription bit going there.

I would say right now it's a we don't know at this time as mass legal streaming of anime is a recent move, so while yes we got advertisements and paid subscriptions that on one level know that would help the industry, we just don't know how much or how effective (look at merchandise sales, including DVDs to see if it has for a particular series) But we have just got shows that were being legally streamed for the first time coming out on DVD (GDH productions) and we have experimentation with iTunes and Xbox Live and the Play Station Network that is being continued (albeit right now small, but you normally don't continue releasing something with a failing model for long, we shall see.)

But at least a person can be confident that they are truly helping the industry through those methods (and in so doing show support and value to continue these kind of release formats for future releases.)

Edit: on the youtube front I know that ad revenue goes to youtube, but I do not know if payment goes directly to Funimation or other distributors, unlike what the music industry has done with youtube having licensed contract agreements involved. I'm not 100% sure if Funimation has a similar set-up with youtube, but they have the rights to distribute it, so if they want to distribute anime on youtube legally I have no problem with that.
babbo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:59 pm Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
I have been responding to points made in this thread and points made by others for the reasons that they download fansubs. So these reasons, they come off as excuses to me over legitimate complaints, considering where the industry is heading and So say "Strawman" which is: To "attack a straw man" is to create the illusion of having refuted a proposition by substituting a superficially similar proposition (the "straw man"), and refuting it, without ever having actually refuted the original position.

Well now I know you're at least capable of quoting Wikipedia verbatim ;D

Quote:

When I'm responding to fansubs in general, where this justification that downloading a fansub because an HD option doesn't exist when the industry is moving towards legal streaming, moving towards HD streaming, so just because it doesn't exist now isn't a justification to steal it as I've said. Explain to me how that is a "Strawman" I referenced sentiments expressed in this thread and others in my previous post about how I feel that there are moving goalposts with fansubs that the industry will never be able to meet as they are constantly moving. You scream "Straw man"

I explain how I came to the conclusion of being patient considering what the industry is doing, that I feel that there is a benefit in doing so, that the industry is giving legal streams, simul-casting and pay-for-downloads, and with new series faster than ever before. And yet you dismiss my post with "straw man". As if the points I'm raising, the request to wait and not do something is not addressing the issue that has been raised.

Your response to dante comes to mind. Where he was saying that he was going to be stealing the simulcast in that post? And why on earth do you feel the need to ask someone talking about the prospective fansub releases of a show why he is [stealing legitimate streams and simulcasts] and asking him to justify it? What on earth do you hope to actually accomplish?

Your response to Kalessin was similar. He lists the facts of why people are downloading fansubs despite the fact that it doesn't help the r1 industry etc etc. And you tell him to start considering the fact that blu-ray sales have to start getting better for them to become more common. And on the end you tack on your little ditty about how fansubbers are subbing for selfish reasons. Despite the fact that he even went out of his way to say this:

Quote:
Now, I'm not saying that the fansub groups are necessarily right in subbing shows - whether they can be obtained through legitimate channels or not - but there are plenty of reasons for fansubbers to continue to sub anime even if it can be obtained legally.

Quote:

To put what you think is a straw man argument up.

You: What the heck do you think has driven companies to start releasing legitimate streams? It certainly was not because people have been patient. These are deficiencies that need to be addressed, not brushed aside.

Me: But to think that fansubs are the sole cause of this movement is odd, considering that they would look more to iTunes and TV models, models which the little respected R1 distributors have been pushing for.

You: See? You just pulled the same BS all over again. I never even once said that fansubs were what forced the industry to start providing streams.

If that were so why are they providing them? I responded to your question and you say that that is a straw man because you basically said it was the impatient people what has caused legal streaming to happen, but you then go on to say that no it's not true you didn't say that. Fansub users are impatient consumers. That is why I said "I find it odd as a sole influence."

How about because of streaming sites, surveys, the fact that television networks have been using it successfully for years, and a long held general consensus among the consumer base that releases were too slow? People don't download fansubs just because they want to watch anime. Fansubs did not create this problem, they merely provided a release format that meets the needs of a consumer base that has long been used to being able to get media quickly and easily. These people don't necessarily even download fansubs. They could be watching any number of other TV shows online during the time they could've been watching anime instead.

In short, the industry has begun moving to streaming because people are not patient. Which is exactly what I said before.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:09 pm Reply with quote
I asked why a group would do so, was answered and said that the reasoning is faulty and explained why I think so, to reinforce the point the other members have said. Your correct in your studies that you point out, but when you do not explain your position it makes it harder to read, as to my knowledge, no one can read intent or minds in a forum post or a conversation. Now why do I say support Blu-ray releases? Because a business needs to see the financial incentive to continue, much like LE box sets, a company will stop if it is not financially viable for them to do so. I responded to Kalessin in the way to show that what is happening with illegal distribution is something I find as a negative when legitimate options exist and near certainty of this series is coming.

One aspect that some may forget is that anime is made to make money, and I agree there are things that the industry as a whole can improve upon in distribution, however that doesn't give me a justification to move through illegal methods to do so, a company is going to listen more to their customers and those consumers willing to buy.
edzieba

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:31 am Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
When I'm responding to fansubs in general, where this justification that downloading a fansub because an HD option doesn't exist when the industry is moving towards legal streaming, moving towards HD streaming, so just because it doesn't exist now isn't a justification to steal it as I've said.
That is quite frankly ridiculous. Because at some nebulous time on the future there may be an alternative to the source I've enjoyed for several years, I should just stop and think "Oh well, they might cater to my interests in a year or two"? I'll point out again how well sitting around and making only cursory placations in the face of change worked out for the music and movie industries: not well at all. 'Change or die' is the relevant mantra, and 'die' is something that could, should, and must happen to those who don't change fast enough. It may not be very 'nice', but it's the only way forward.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:43 am Reply with quote
And what makes you think that they are not moving to do so, they have just recently implemented these kinda plans, so seriously you can wait because I'm fairly confident it's going to happen, to think that somehow that is a justification to steal something, couldn't you say as a customer to the industry to request that change through legitimate channels and not buy their products if they don't over stealing them?

It's not like I'm asking for something totally outrageous and foreign am I? It will happen the industry is awake and listening now on both sides of the pacific, so I ask just a simple support what they are doing now so they continue to do so in the future and go through legitimate channels with your complaints and desires, is that something that is hard to do? I sure hope not.
edzieba

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:40 am Reply with quote
Do you have anything whatsoever to indicate that widespread, high-quality, minimum delay streaming is in the near future? Because I've been looking carefully and have seen none, and the handful of shows available region-free via crunchyroll and youtube in abysmal quality isn't exactly an encouraging sign.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:47 am Reply with quote
Called working on it, they know, it's going to happen. We are seeing problems with current CR (although youtube has a high quality viewing option as well) are a ramping of production so to speak, they are still trying to work the kinks out of their system an should be getting the issue resolved soon. If you feel so strongly tell Crunchy Roll yourself. But that does not justify stealing a stream, demand it legitimately, as a customer you have more weight to say I'm not going to buy your products over Unless you release anime how I want it I'm going to continue to steal it.
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:20 pm Reply with quote
>.< Well the disscusion over here seems to have somewhat diverged from the original subject of FMA2 in Austrailia!!! O_O

Anywho though that is happening on the other side of the world I am still excited because of the person who is hosting the release. If

that person is hosting it then I can very much see a Funi streaming in the near future :] Hopefully there will be at least some sort of press release in 4 days.
edzieba

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:49 pm Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
But that does not justify stealing a stream
I'm not even sure how you'd go about doing that, never mind that the existing streams are not something I'd want in the first place, that being the crux of the problem.
Quote:
as a customer you have more weight to say I'm not going to buy your products over Unless you release anime how I want it I'm going to continue to steal it.
Is the point I've been trying to get across for the past several pages.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately thanks to advance in the internet.It's going to happen unless both funi and the gov't for all nations invloved interveenes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
babbo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:20 am Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
I asked why a group would do so, was answered and said that the reasoning is faulty and explained why I think so, to reinforce the point the other members have said. Your correct in your studies that you point out, but when you do not explain your position it makes it harder to read, as to my knowledge, no one can read intent or minds in a forum post or a conversation. Now why do I say support Blu-ray releases? Because a business needs to see the financial incentive to continue, much like LE box sets, a company will stop if it is not financially viable for them to do so. I responded to Kalessin in the way to show that what is happening with illegal distribution is something I find as a negative when legitimate options exist and near certainty of this series is coming.

And that is why it's so mind numbing having to see your fansub debates. You said to support blu-ray releases because you have no idea how to respond to what people are actually saying. There was no argument to respond to, he was merely listing facts, he also expressed the same opinion (ie that fansubs are not legitimate/good) in his post. Why should someone who is merely listing facts be told to consider anything?

Quote:

One aspect that some may forget is that anime is made to make money, and I agree there are things that the industry as a whole can improve upon in distribution, however that doesn't give me a justification to move through illegal methods to do so, a company is going to listen more to their customers and those consumers willing to buy.

*pops some aspirin*

Where on earth are you getting the idea that people resorting to illegal methods actually think they need, much less want justification? The simple reality is that people will resort to those methods until a better alternative is provided; whether it's right, wrong, or justifiable in anyway is irrelevant o,o;;
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:07 am Reply with quote
When you disagree with someone fdo you say I disagree and end it there? No, I explain why I disagree with it, the fact of the matter is if even fansubbers could follow this animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2003-06-08/2 I would have no problem, but they don't

Also from Of Otaku and Fansubs it says in the conclusion "Because these two forces pull in opposite directions, it is too early to look to fansubs as an example of how continuing widespread online copyright infringement can benefit a company. But as the situation matures and as more studies into this area are conducted, the relationship will reveal a great deal about the nature of copyright in a connected digital world. At the moment, anime distributors may just be between the proverbial “rock and a hard place” and not necessarily developing a new business model based around widespread copyright infringement." Going further in section 6.3 " Anecdotal evidence suggests that Japanese companies are starting to negotiate the non-Japanese distribution rights before the show has even aired in Japan. U.S. distributors have even started to co-produce series in Japan, thus guaranteeing that the U.S. license rights have already been assigned. For example, Urban Vision, owner of the rights to the widely popular (and classic) Ninja Scroll movie, helped produce and create a new TV series in Japan based on the film. As discussed, fansubs have reached the point in quality that fans don’t necessarily need to replace their fansubs with licensed releases." Source: http://www.bileta.ac.uk/Document%20Library/1/Of%20Otakus%20and%20Fansubs%20-%20A%20Critical%20Look%20at%20Anime%20Online%20in%20Light%20of%20Current%20Issues%20in%20Copyright%20law.pdf Dated 2007

Quote:
The simple reality is that people will resort to those methods until a better alternative is provided; The simple reality is that people will resort to those methods until a better alternative is provided; whether it's right, wrong, or justifiable in anyway is irrelevant o,o;;

I hope that is not your personnal ethics, as if I were to take that then I would be wrong to agree or disagree with any action that any person could do. So a better alternative? Fansubs are not suppossed to be the better alternative at least according to their ethics.
edzieba

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Fansubs are not suppossed to be the better alternative
Yet they still are, in the areas of video quality and speed, and occasionally accuracy (there are many, many bad fansubs, just as there are many bad DVDs). With the choice falling between "rail with total futility against those producing the better alternative" and "produce a better alternative yourselves", it should be obvious that the latter is the preferable choice. That that former is still the modus operandi of almost every studio shows that change is distribution policy is definitely needed. I'd say that 'voting with your wallets' and not purchasing a sub-standard product is one of the most effective ways to spur that change (and that continuing to purchase with the caveat that 'maybe sometime in the future I might actually get to pay for something I actually want' is a great way to retard that change).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6