• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
And yeah I liked Gluttony more than Envy too. And speaking of homunculus I will say I did like 1st Anime!Lust more.

Although that being said in this new series I am still really looking forward to the spoiler[Roy VS Lust battle]

Well, we actually do agree on some things, even though we disagree on a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Blackpeppir

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:36 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I was pretty appalled by the poll, but consideringspoiler[ that the original Greed died twenty something volumes previously, ]his even still being on the list is pretty indicative of his staying power.

I still stand by that spoiler[Ling] is the worst Fullmetal Alchemist character concieved, though. Even the first show's Frank Archer is a more charismatic character. Frankly, I just find the Xingese characters to be totally worthless, and the biggest flaws in the original work.

I dunno, I don't mind spoiler[Ling Greed] when Greed is in control, but other than that yeah I have to agree that the Xing characters are pretty bad and aren't really even there to advance the plot but kind of hinder it. One of the big things that ruined the anime for me was Wrath, so I'm glad they kept him out of the manga and made spoiler[Bradely Wrath instead, replacing pride with Salem]
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I guess at least when it comes to FMA Smile

And I guess I am alone in loving the Xingese characters. At least on
here. But they really are some of my favorites.
Blackpeppir

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I guess at least when it comes to FMA Smile

And I guess I am alone in loving the Xingese characters. At least on
here. But they really are some of my favorites.

Maybe I phrased my last post poorly, it's not that I don't like some of the Xingese characters, I just don't really see a point to the and they never really help to advance the plot. They're just sort of there. I'll give them props for being able to hold their own against the homunculus for awhile while the people from the state seem to get their asses handed to them within seconds. But other than that, I dunno they're kind of like mustang's crew except they're not funny.
kpk

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:57 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
And yeah I liked Gluttony more than Envy too. And speaking of homunculus I will say I did like 1st Anime!Lust more.

Although that being said in this new series I am still really looking forward to the spoiler[Roy VS Lust battle]

I actually think that the 1st anime did a much better job on the all bad-guys department. In the manga, however, i thought they were one-dimensional and their origin was... well, kind of stupid.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:00 am Reply with quote
kpk wrote:

I actually think that the 1st anime did a much better job on the all bad-guys department. In the manga, however, i thought they were one-dimensional and their origin was... well, kind of stupid.

Well in the context of their respective fantasy worlds I actually think that the Homunculus origins makes a lot more sense in the manga. And I like that each one fits their namesake.

But I will say yes I think the homunculus in the anime were a bit more developed (this is the one of the few thing I will give the anime ). But anyways the whole spoiler[human transmutation=sin thing] was intriuging I just think logically it didn't make much sense that there would only be those 7 to so perfectly fit the 7 sins. And while there were some I really liked in the 1st anime like Lust there were some I really did not like Envy. I am not a big fan of Envy in either canon but let's just say I prefer Envy's true form in the manga.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:37 am Reply with quote
For Villains sometimes the first anime is better like with Lust, but usually I prefered the manga. For example with the first anime while Lust benifits from the changes, Sloth and Wrath are villains for little explained reasons. Like first anime Sloth is evil just because the plot only works like that. There is no explained reason why Sloth should be evil like that considering that she should be a normal person with an extreme case of amnesia like Lust was. I mean with people like Greed, Pride, and Envy they are explained somewhat, but Sloth is just a generic evil, and it ruins spoiler[Trisha]

The main villain of the first anime was just flat out incompetent, and she pretty much runs the place because her underlings are usually intelligent. The key word is usually consider the murder of the person in the tollbooth, in the manga they frame a person, in the first anime they do the most obvious coverup ever.

As for Lin being the worst character ever, I can't believe someone would say that unless they never read volume 12.

Also I don't see the homonculi as one dimensional at all, they clearly care about each other, and do love their parent. Wrath, Gluttony, and Greed especially are shown as people who are caring.[/spoiler]
Sariachan

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Why all this Xing characters hate/disliking? They aren't my favourite ones, but I DO like the fact that in the manga we came to discover another part of that world. It's things like that that make the manga superior to the first anime, imho.

About the Homunculus, I like their origin and characterizations more in the manga, but the ones in the first anime were far from bad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
The main villain of the first anime was just flat out incompetent, and she pretty much runs the place because her underlings are usually intelligent.

Yeah, not like Father, who willingly ressurects the most rebellious homunuculus knowing he will just rebel again. Super competent, that guy.

Quote:
As for Lin being the worst character ever, I can't believe someone would say that unless they never read volume 12.

I've read all 94 chapters, and I've always felt like Ling is a complete waste of character. He does some cool things, granted, but most of his actions and development feels like afterthoughts by the author and he just annoys me to no end. He's really Arakawa's biggest mistake in the story.

Also, I like what the first series did by making homunuculi the result of mistakes by alchemists trying to play God. It fit in with the theme of redemption in the series.

As for why anime Sloth was "evil", it's because spoiler[she wasn't quite Trisha, she just shared her memories, and it was maddening, so she was trying to prove she wasn't Trisha by killing her sons. ] It's part of the theme of what it means to be a human or having a soul.

There are some homunuculi I like better in the manga, and some better in the first series, but I would say that the Sloths sort of tie, because even though they're very different, they're both interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:42 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

I've read all 94 chapters, and Ling is just a complete waste of character. He does some cool things, granted, but most of his actions and development feels like afterthoughts by the author and he just annoys me to no end. He's really Arakawa's biggest mistake in the story.

I am fine with you not liking Ling hey to each their own. Personally he is one of my favorite characters (not my absolute favorite character but in my top 10) but hey if he annoys you he annoys you. Personally I love his personality and how he acts one way but he is really something else entirely.

But I disagree that anything Arakawa does with Ling is an after thought. After reading 94 chapters of this manga I can tell you nothing Arakawa does is an after thought. She pretty much plans everything out from the beginning. Even when something seems insignificant she brings it back. So even her plot twists aren't so much plot twists it's more wow I should have seen that coming.

As for Father bringing back you know who yes it was stupid. spoiler[But it's pretty clear to me that Father's downfall will be the fact that he doesn't understand these type of things. He just thought he had another pawn. Just like he clearly doesn't understand the strength of humans. Although I do like Father because the way he thinks amuses me. It's not the typical villain I am so powerful the world should be mine but I must make sure to stop the character destined to destroy me. It's more sort of laid back attitude well of course I am going to win and I just need to deal with the pests.]

Dante was better than most villains too but the whole immortality thing sort of bored me. She also lacked Father's sense of humor.

Last edited by Maidenoftheredhand on Sat May 02, 2009 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Yikes, I've sort of drove the topic into the ground with my hatred of the Xingese (such racism!).

On the subject of the new episode tomorrow morning, I wonder if they'll be fitting both chapters of the Scar incident into a single episode, or actually do it in two. I re-read those chapters today in anticipation, and I hope they don't skip out on anything.

If I haven't already mentioned it, my worries about Scar's new voice have somewhat melted away. I guess the new episode will be the real test, since he's barely said anything thus far, but Kenta Miyake seems every bit as threatening-sounding as Ryotaro Okiayu was in the first series.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:55 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Yikes, I've sort of drove the topic into the ground with my hatred of the Xingese (such racism!).

Aha now I see racist against the Xingese. Shame on you! Wink

I feel bad too maybe we should start a Manga VS First Anime Post. Would that even be allowed?

Quote:

On the subject of the new episode tomorrow morning, I wonder if they'll be fitting both chapters of the Scar incident into a single episode, or actually do it in two. I re-read those chapters today in anticipation, and I hope they don't skip out on anything.

I've been doing the same thing which isn't such a good idea because it makes me even more critical about the episodes. I am very nervous it will be rushed again since it is 2 chapters into one. Really I am nervous like this before every episode. And I am sure they will skip things but I hope they don't skip anything I am really looking forward to seeing. I also really hope they don't skip the dream in the beginning.

And this is actually the chapters that really got me into FMA (yes I read through the manga first which might explain my bias).
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I feel bad too maybe we should start a Manga VS First Anime Post. Would that even be allowed?

I don't know, I feel so exhausted arguing over it! FMA is good. I shouldn't be getting angry about it! Laughing

Quote:
I've been doing the same thing which isn't such a good idea because it makes me even more critical about the episodes.

I hear that.

Quote:
I also really hope they don't skip the dream in the beginning.

That's a good bit, but I always wondered where it was Ed was sleeping. Military dorm?

I wonder if they'll include the homunuculi part. Envy's first appearance is during that!
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:26 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

I don't know, I feel so exhausted arguing over it! FMA is good. I shouldn't be getting angry about it! Laughing

You are probably right, the whole manga VS anime thing can go too far.

Quote:
That's a good bit, but I always wondered where it was Ed was sleeping. Military dorm?

I am not exactly sure if it is a dorm but Mustang mentions lodgings so I expect the military puts them up somewhere.

Quote:
I wonder if they'll include the homunuculi part. Envy's first appearance is during that!

I would be surprised if they don't include it but personally I don't mind if this part goes quickly to save time I am more interested in seeing

spoiler[All the Ed & Al moments, talking in the rain about Nina and their scenes after the Scar attack. Hughes being worried about Roy and Roy being worried about Ed & Al...stuff like that. Oh and also the talk with Riza at the beginning]

I also wonder if they will keep spoiler[the part when they talk about Ishbal or leave that for the next episode. Ed's attitude about Ishbal is actually one of the early major differences between the manga & 1st anime]
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:04 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

I've read all 94 chapters, and Ling is just a complete waste of character. He does some cool things, granted, but most of his actions and development feels like afterthoughts by the author and he just annoys me to no end. He's really Arakawa's biggest mistake in the story.

I am fine with you not liking Ling hey to each their own. Personally he is one of my favorite characters (not my absolute favorite character but in my top 10) but hey if he annoys you he annoys you. Personally I love his personality and how he acts one way but he is really something else entirely.

But I disagree that anything Arakawa does with Ling is an after thought. After reading 94 chapters of this manga I can tell you nothing Arakawa does is an after thought. She pretty much plans everything out from the beginning. Even when something seems insignificant she brings it back. So even her plot twists aren't so much plot twists it's more wow I should have seen that coming.

As for Father bringing back you know who yes it was stupid. spoiler[But it's pretty clear to me that Father's downfall will be the fact that he doesn't understand these type of things. He just thought he had another pawn. Just like he clearly doesn't understand the strength of humans. Although I do like Father because the way he thinks amuses me. It's not the typical villain I am so powerful the world should be mine but I must make sure to stop the character destined to destroy me. It's more sort of laid back attitude well of course I am going to win and I just need to deal with the pests.]

Dante was better than most villains too but the whole immortality thing sort of bored me. She also lacked Father's sense of humor.

That's basically Father in a nutshell, incredibly intelligent, immprtal, and insanely powerful, and completely egotistical, just look at volume 14 for Father in all his glory. He see's the rest of the world as pawns so he underestimates them.

Also your right about how well planned this series is, reread the earlier volumes and everything shows how well planned it is.

Especially Pride, nearly everything Pride says turned from cute to sinister once you figured out who Pride is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 25 of 64