• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crimson_Reaper

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:59 am Reply with quote
Feh. I had to force myself to register myself to this forum just to reply to this thread! Hopefully it will be worth it. So far, I have enjoyed all of the episodes in the new series, even though the little Hulk thing in the third episode made me... 'twitch'. Although the fifth episode was a little 'iffy' from time to time, I enjoyed it overall. I am really enjoy the voice actors of Lust, Envy and Scar.

Just to get this out there. I watched the first anime first and enjoyed it untill spoiler[we had Dante clogging up the screen with her annyoing presence and that whole earth-crossover thing felt like pulling teeth.] I read the manga second and -loved- it, felt it was far better than the anime. I have been anxiously waiting for Brotherhood, and I have not been TOO dissapointed. So far, I believe the second anime is more enjoyable than the first, hopefully time will keep this true.

Although I understand, why some things seemed a little rushed. The people who have read both the anime and the manga may get a little bored with seeing the same thing for the third time, so some new things are needed. Now, I must depart! *Flees*
Sariachan

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:31 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion the 5th episode was almost perfect, and people saying it felt less emotional are forgetting that they are seeing the same (more or less( things happen for the third time. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
amarielah

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:
In my opinion the 5th episode was almost perfect, and people saying it felt less emotional are forgetting that they are seeing the same (more or less( things happen for the third time. Wink

See, this logic doesn't work for me. Because I watched the same scenes in the first anime after I had watched this episode, and still felt more moved by them. The way the lines were delivered was completely different, and it made both brothers seem much more vulnerable.

That being said, I really liked this episode, but it wasn't as emotional as the same thing in the first anime. And, IMO, that's intentional on the part of the writers. This series is going to be much more about fighting and plot and not getting bogged down by your angst than the first series, and that's fine. It's different, and it will appeal to different people. As a person who likes series such as NANA, myself, with sweeping melodrama centered around a single, often unhealthily dependent relationship, these changes are a minus.

Last edited by amarielah on Mon May 04, 2009 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blackpeppir

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Crimson_Reaper wrote:
Feh. I had to force myself to register myself to this forum just to reply to this thread! Hopefully it will be worth it. So far, I have enjoyed all of the episodes in the new series, even though the little Hulk thing in the third episode made me... 'twitch'. Although the fifth episode was a little 'iffy' from time to time, I enjoyed it overall. I am really enjoy the voice actors of Lust, Envy and Scar.

Just to get this out there. I watched the first anime first and enjoyed it untill spoiler[we had Dante clogging up the screen with her annyoing presence and that whole earth-crossover thing felt like pulling teeth.] I read the manga second and -loved- it, felt it was far better than the anime. I have been anxiously waiting for Brotherhood, and I have not been TOO dissapointed. So far, I believe the second anime is more enjoyable than the first, hopefully time will keep this true.

Although I understand, why some things seemed a little rushed. The people who have read both the anime and the manga may get a little bored with seeing the same thing for the third time, so some new things are needed. Now, I must depart! *Flees*

Really I agree, I watched the anime then picked up the manga and after reading it and keeping current with it, I liked the manga a lot more than the anime. I was a bit disappointed with how the handled Lior and I see what people mean when they say it feels rushed, but I for one really want to see the manga material so I'm really hoping that they're just skimming over the parts that are similar so they can get there.

As for the voice actors, I never watched the first anime in original Japanese, so the voices don't really bother me at all, in fact the homunculus voices sound fairly close to their english counterparts so I find them quite enjoyable.
population_tire

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Has Funi given us an estimation for the English version yet?
Sariachan

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:50 pm Reply with quote
amarielah wrote:
Sariachan wrote:

See, this logic doesn't work for me. Because I watched the same scenes in the first anime after I had watched this episode, and still felt more moved by them. The way the lines were delivered was completely different, and it made both brothers seem much more vulnerable.

That being said, I really liked this episode, but it wasn't as emotional as the same thing in the first anime. And, IMO, that's intentional on the part of the writers. This series is going to be much more about fighting and plot and not getting bogged down by your angst than the first series, and that's fine. It's different, and it will appeal to different people. As a person who likes series such as NANA, myself, with sweeping melodrama centered around a single, often unhealthily dependent relationship, these changes are a minus.

Still, if you watched that scene for the first time, you would be moved anyway.

Of course it's different, but at least I don't want a copy of a previous anime even if they cover the same things.

P.S I like NANA too, but I din't understand what it has to do in this topic, sorry. ^^'
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
kpk

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:10 pm Reply with quote
amarielah wrote:
Sariachan wrote:

agree.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Personally I find the manga storyline more moving than the 1st anime series. Of course everyone is moved by different thing so I am not saying it is wrong to be more moved by the first series but that doesn't mean this new series is not moving in its own way.

Al's lecture to Ed about giving up on life when there is so much more to accomplish is an important theme of the series. In the end Ed says they are alive so they have to move forward. But it's not just Ed & Al, Roy and the rest also cannot die because there is also something for them to accomplish. This is a theme that permeates the manga.

There are some issues I have with the pacing of this new series and things they left out. But I am very happy to say that so far I feel they have captured the themes , characterization, and relationships of the manga quite well.
amarielah

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:

P.S I like NANA too, but I din't understand what it has to do in this topic, sorry. ^^'

I was using it as an example of a series that has a lot of drama going on around a very close, codependent relationship, to illustrate that I generally enjoy that kind of thing, and that the lack of drama and codependency is something that makes the manga (and the new anime) less enjoyable to me.
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:13 am Reply with quote
This episode was alright - I feel like it was on par with the last one. Pretty good, but it has its flaws. I really just think the 1st anime structured things better in the beginning. Just the way the story was laid out made it more intriguing - of course, I don't expect this series to copy that, since it's meant to stick closer to the manga. Still, it's something that should be noted, I think. Combining the Scar and Marcoh story lines at that point was a great way to give things more depth, and an even better way to more naturally give off expository info. It's a real shame the manga hadn't done it this way, having the story laid out like that would really benefit this series later on, when spoiler[Scar busts Marcoh out of Father's lair and takes him on the run with him.] And it looks like they're going to cram Ed going to get his automail fixed and meeting Dr. Marcoh all in one episode next time. I'm really apprehensive about that, actually. In the 1st series, their going back to Resembool was such a feel good episode, which was especially affective after looking at the episodes it came after. This time, it looks like we'll be outta Resembool in 15 minutes, unless finding Marcoh comes at the very end.

There's another thing I find really jarring about this series - the "commercial breaks." Not a big deal, I know, but when it cuts off at a really emotional scene and goes straight to some screen of a random character on a bright pink background with some creepy guy going "FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST!" Well, kinda ruins the mood, for me, at least. Not that big a deal, though.

I'm glad they included the dream scene, but I think the manga did it a lot better. It was much creepier seeing Trisha standing there, her eyes cropped out, with a creepy smile and blood running down her face and whatnot. The whole grotesque zombie corpse thing they tried to do was just...meh. The dream wasn't bad, though - adding Nina and Alexander was a nice touch.

A lot of scenes were quite well done, I thought. The whole Lior thing was handled well - this series is very consistent with how they're treating the villains, at least. And I'll also agree with Maidenoftheredhand - I like the 1st series' version of Lust more, but I can't wait to see spoiler[Lust vs. Roy].

Ed and Al talking about Nina in the rain was ok, until Scar was just randomly standing there at first. I kind of did a double take, and not the good kind of double take. It really picked up once the music got going, though - I think that's been my favorite piece of music in this entire series so far. Really nice. And really nice animation there, too. I'll say that my fears about Scar looking cartoony are totally gone. Once it got to their being cornered, though, it wasn't nearly as compelling as in the 1st series. It was good enough, though, I guess. I felt there was a little too much humor mixed in with the sad bits at the end, kind of killed the emotional atmosphere, imo. Just having Al's arm fall off is the perfect little touch of humor, more isn't better, in this case.

I'm sure I have more to say, but it's late, I'm brain dead, and I need to get up in the morning, so, nyeh~ Razz
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:38 am Reply with quote
I'll tell you one thing, any bits of the Ishbal massacre has me excited for when they do a full flashback, but that won't be for a long while. Almost makes me wish this was on every day, just so we can get to stuff like that and Hohenheim's story sooner.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Tell me about it - when that part of the manga(the Ishball massacre) came up, I was like, "Oh, great, a flashback volume - c'mooon, I want more plot advancement!" But then is turned out to be one of my favorite volumes, it was just so good. I've just gotten too accustomed to dreading the typical flashback volumes/episodes, heh. Shame on me, should've known Arakawa would deliver! And Hohenheim, yeah, I like him enough in the 1st anime, but he's so much more interesting in the manga.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fawfulhasfury

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed this episode, but my two main gripes were that Scar came out of nowhere and that the automail destruction scene was replaced with a bland picture of houses......

You can NOT tell me they didn't have the space for a more detailed destruction scene when they have a five second cut away to bland boring houses.

For those of you those of you wishing you'd seen Mustang worrying about the Elric Brothers, I think that's what his last remark before Scar's appearance is supposed to portray.

Hughes: You're the only major alchemist in town right now, right?
Mustang: OH SNAP!

I also know why they cut the officer coming to get Ed and being destroyed. It was so the director could do his cool little thing with the clock tower, which was fine and all, but the officer intro was way better because it didn't take me out of the epsiode.

The action in this was way better than the last time, as far as animation and being unique. But the director needs to step up his emotion direction. I can see that his too main strengths are horror/action direction. So far he's managed to bring out the creepiness in the show quite well, as well as action. The reason he directed the Nina episode so well is because he's so good at directing unsettling scenes, not because he's good at directing emotional ones.

The Ishbal flashback was okay, but if they had to cut something manga-wise and comedy wise, why'd they cut the comments made on Edward's value without his alchemy? That scene was brilliant.

And yet I still loved the episode, and watched it more than once.

Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Blackpeppir

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm still convinced that the lack of scenes, the officer addressing Ed, Roy worrying about them, etc. was because this show was made almost specifically for the people who wanted to see the manga animated. Thus their skimming over some of the earlier details and areas that the anime had in common with the manga to get to the new material. If that were the case then it'd make sense that they'd omit some of the earlier material that was used to flesh out the manga, assuming that the bulk of the audience had read it already and knows what's going on and what they skipped and would be able to fill in the holes themselves.

Personally I'm really enjoying the series. I knew there'd be some cuts to save on time and budget so going in knowing and expecting that I've felt the new anime has been quite enjoyable and I'm enjoying it a little more than the first anime. That is, of course, except for the incredible Cornello Hulk, wtf was that?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Blackpeppir wrote:
incredible Cornello Hulk, wtf was that?

CORNELLO IS BALDEST THERE IS! GRAGH!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 27 of 64