• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dune

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:50 pm Reply with quote
There was a point recently in Brotherhood that I quite like. In Resembool, Greed said aloud that he considers all desires and friendships as forms of greed. Ed doesn't respond: he stops walking for a second, but then moves on his way. This is a mark of a more mature adaptation, IMO... small-but-poignant refraining from dialogue. Case in point: Hughes's death/funeral in Brotherhood was needlessly wordy. But I'm glad to see Brotherhood do better. The downside is that this steadier adaptation comes at a point past a _lot_ of important parts... For example, those guys who blew up Bradley's train? Those men served under Mustang in Ishbal and owe their lives to him. But Brotherhood skipped over that, so this went without mention... sigh. What could have been.

Speaking of which--and I'm probably a broken record by now--it's getting really hard to ignore how stupid the villains are acting. Like Bradley. Oh Bradley. You're the top dog in a military dictatorship and you've just found out a general right in front of you is conspiring against you. Don't. Leave. Him. Alone. Why couldn't Bradley have said, "Hey Grumman, I'll be leaving for Central soon. Why don't you accompany me on a train ride?" Not to mention the free passes that've been given to Mustang/General Armstrong/Greed/the Elrics/Winry etc. Anybody remember the 100th episode of the Simpsons, when Ned Flanders became Principal?
Quote:
Bart sits in Flanders' office chewing candy.

Flanders: Bart, I've barely been here a good solid week, and you've been sent to my office eleven times. And now that I have peanut butter cups, you seem to be getting in trouble every hour.

Bart: [through a full mouth] Must have been a coincidence.

Flanders: Uh, anyhoo, Bart, you're going to have to be punished. This isn't some sort of clubhouse.
[Bart holds up an empty glass and rattles it]
Oh, sorry: were you drinking Slice or Yoo Hoo?

Yeah. Replace Flanders with Father/King Bradley, and Bart with everyone else. Sad

But at least the animation is quite good. Smile Especially as we near the end and things get more action-packed. **Which reminds me, the Promised Day is "tomorrow"? I'm surprised we're going to have 13+ episodes for a single day.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:57 pm Reply with quote
It's not that Bradley doesn't suspect Mustang, he just doesn't think he can really do anything that would affect him or his Father's plans.

(Also, I'm sure Hughes' funeral was just as "wordy" in the first series, but if you were talking about the death itself, he says quite a bit more in that scene in Brotherhood and they linger in that moment far too long, something they didn't do in the manga or first series.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:13 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
It's not that Bradley doesn't suspect Mustang, he just doesn't think he can really do anything that would affect him or his Father's plans.

(Also, I'm sure Hughes' funeral was just as "wordy" in the first series, but if you were talking about the death itself, he says quite a bit more in that scene in Brotherhood and they linger in that moment far too long, something they didn't do in the manga or first series.)

Exactly, a lot of people are confusing arrogance for pure stupidity. When I think of stupidity I think of Dante not being able to use her own resources correctly, when I think of arrogance, I think of Bradley getting on the train without any precautions.

Given the recent manga chapters it's clear that Father was quite justified.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Given that spoiler[Bradley was able to escape the train explosion without too much trouble, ] his own actions are fairly justified, too.

He's quite a guy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dune

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I don't want to dwell on this too much. But even if everything works out for Father in the end, this part is still stretching suspension of disbelief for me.

Anyway, there are new summaries for the next few episodes. Check it out (spoilers, obviously):
http://amber1003.deviantart.com/journal/30845436/

Episode 51 will mark the end of volume 22, so for readers of the Viz-edition like me, it'll be unfamiliar territory from then on out... Well technically I've read some spoilers, but other than that things will be new to me.
WarpWarrior

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:13 am Reply with quote
This thread is like a minefield for me, since the last episode I've watched is the 30th, so I'll ask this here, in hopes that an enlightened someone will reply:

How long will Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood be? Will there be a second season? Will it be completed only after the Manga is completed? Will it overtake the manga? Will it end in a different (premature) ending? And will the ending be a definitive ending?

By definitive, I mean that there will be no more story to tell. Like, they either get their bodies back, or loose all hope to do so. Mostly that part.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:29 pm Reply with quote
63 episodes? That's how many the encyclopedia has for it. Makes sense, as I've seen up to about episode 50 and that's getting close to the manga, but not enough to conclusively end in the next week or two, and the manga seems like it's about ready to end.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Episode 50 was one of the best in a while. Roy's rebellion is in full action, we get some great Olivier moments, and everyone else is converging on Father's lair in Central.

If you have a careful eye, you would have seen a certain pair of water closet slippers that belong to a certain braid-haired alchemy teacher in the scene with the Briggs soldiers' arrival.

The one thing I dislike about this part of the story is that stupid homunculi army. They're nothing but last minute mooks.
WarpWarrior

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
63 episodes? That's how many the encyclopedia has for it. Makes sense, as I've seen up to about episode 50 and that's getting close to the manga, but not enough to conclusively end in the next week or two, and the manga seems like it's about ready to end.

Thanks a lot for the reply, Dorcas_Aurelia. I didn't know the manga was so close to the ending. That's good news, I think. Even if the anime doesn't end it, there's always a possibility for some OVAs or something. Like Tsubasa Chronicle? I hope it ends with the anime, but I'm ok with the OVAs too.

Thanks a lot for the reply, once again.
scotteh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:05 pm Reply with quote
i believe 63 is the end of this season per say, but i seriously doubt that it will be the end. people say the manga is close to ending, but we have no idea what close is because we have no clue how fast or slow the story will be unfolded. and besides, 63 was known around this time last year because thats how much time they bought so im pretty confident they will renew with the popularity after the end of june and finish up.

what do you guys think?
WarpWarrior

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:57 am Reply with quote
Well, they can't overtake the manga, can they? I mean, the anime can't start being the spoiler for the manga, instead of the other way around, can it?

I hope they don't start putting in fillers...
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:09 am Reply with quote
scotteh wrote:
i believe 63 is the end of this season per say, but i seriously doubt that it will be the end. people say the manga is close to ending, but we have no idea what close is because we have no clue how fast or slow the story will be unfolded. and besides, 63 was known around this time last year because thats how much time they bought so im pretty confident they will renew with the popularity after the end of june and finish up.

what do you guys think?

It's been confirmed the manga is ending at chapter 108, so that's 3 more chapters. The anime is ending at 63 episodes to correspond with the manga's end.
Analog_Now

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:06 pm Reply with quote
The last few episodes have been great, but there's a lack of Hohenheim he appears casually during the show then one point he's in almost every episode. Now he's nowhere to be found unless I'm missing where he is.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Analog_Now wrote:
The last few episodes have been great, but there's a lack of Hohenheim he appears casually during the show then one point he's in almost every episode. Now he's nowhere to be found unless I'm missing where he is.

He split from Ed's group in episode 50
Analog_Now

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Analog_Now wrote:

He split from Ed's group in episode 50

That doesn't really tell us anything of where he went and what he's doing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 59 of 64