• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Guardian

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I may finally get the FMA series, but given how quickly they seemed to released the season sets from the season-part sets, makes me wonder how quickly that they'll just go to the whole series. Given how long Funimation might be milking this series (not that it's a bad thing in this case), if they don't come out with it again by the end of summer, I'll probably get the season sets at Best Buy for whatever they're selling it for (or TRSI sale).

I've never really gotten to see much of the second half of the series, once [adult swim] did the whole break in the series thing, I kinda forgot what time it came on and didn't go watch it faithfully glued to the TV every week like I did with the first half. Well, that's another thing added to my list of must gets that I've already seen ages ago, it's been prioritized just behind Cowboy Bebop.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:44 pm Reply with quote
As always, I enjoyed your column. Thanks!
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:45 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
I'm definitely going to try Moribito now, but first I think I'll attempt to get ahold of the book(s) first.

There's apparantly 10 different books, and only the first was turned into an anime series (so far). Given that fact, I think a lot of fans of the series may find themselves wanting to check out the books sooner or later, just to see what ends up happening later in the story, as I don't know of any definite plans to animate the rest of the books. I believe the first 2 books are currently available in English.

I read some amazon.com reviews for the first book, and it was fairly positive. A fair amount of people seemed to prefer the anime series, but most still liked the book plenty.
kadian1364

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:53 pm Reply with quote
I swear, this has got to be like the 7th or 8th time I've seen Bamboo harp on Shuffle. Not that I disagree with the criticisms at all, but just how many more times do you plan to review the poor show?

FMA really is a modern classic, one that I've been holding off on getting. Maybe the time is now?

Moribito is an excellent show, flawed only in my mind by lingering too long on some boring plot points and dragging pace towards the end. The anime kind of got buried twice, first lost among the veritable sea of other excellent and often more marketable shows it competed with in 2007, and then again underneath that mess that occurred at Cartoon Network.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Moribito V.3 is out?! Oh thank you Media Blasters, I was getting worried there for a minute!

*scurries of to the internet™ to buy it.*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ranemoraken

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Vol.3 has been out for a while I believe. What excites me is vol.4 especially since there is no...

I really do want to hijack this thread as well, but will refrain.

I too have cooled on the D-gray man series after this review. Admittedly, Shonen Jump series are infamous in how long they take to get off the ground.
WindAlchemistJen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I need to get the Moribito DVDs. I love that series and it definitely needs more hype. Sure the pacing was somewhat slow, but the story's interesting. I have the first novel and what I've read of it so far is just as enjoyable as the anime.

Balsa is quite possibly my favorite female anime character ever.

FMA: Yeah, the series(I guess that should be "the first series" now) is one of the few that actually deserves all of the hype it gets. Even though I own the whole thing on DVD(all singles), I still watch it every time Adult Swim reruns it. As for the second series, I'm on dial-up and, so, will have to wait until it's aired on tv or the DVDs are released, but, since I love the manga storyline, I'll definitely watch/buy it.
rekishi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:27 pm Reply with quote
y'know, i don't mind 'good' moe harem series... i like Air and Kanon and have just started watching Clannad as well... i think the trick to enjoying them, is to not take them too seriously when they start getting all "uguu" or "gao gao"... or whatever... it's blatantly obvious it's written to cater to lonely otuku nerds and it's a good laugh to make fun of sometimes... you just ignore the stuff most moe fanboys wet themselves over and enjoy the stories, cos they're not half bad...

yeah ok, i wont deny watching a bunch of cute "puppy dog" girls run around and "bump into stuff" isn't a draw card too.... but i'm not going to go out and spend money on an inferior imitation...

i've seen the first half of Shuffle sitting on the shelf at my local JB hifi nearly every time i go down there... i've even been almost desperate/bored enough to pick it up and take it home... fortunately the description on the back of the box, might as well say "this is a cheap $2.00 store knock off of a Key series, with the gripping story left out and an extra dollop of moe fan-bait tossed in". and i hurriedly snap to my senses and put it back...

by the sounds of it, i was exactly right. good moe shows can't just rely on moe alone... least ways when trying to appeal to non otaku with a budget... like any show it needs to have an interesting story, or at least be funny... Key seems to get it right, since they put a bit of effort into a story or just making their characters silly enough to get a chuckle out of... i get the impression that the male character from most key shows, is taking the p!ss out of the girls and they're moe archetypes just as much as i do... it's got this air of not taking itself too serious... whilst at the same time, trying to tell a pretty messed up story...

by the sounds of it, Shuffle isn't for me... i'll just think of this review every time i see in on the shelves and it'll remind me to steer clear...
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Ranemoraken wrote:
Vol.3 has been out for a while I believe. What excites me is vol.4 especially since there is no...

Without a being a smart-alek, are you referring to release date? Right Stuf and AnimeOnDVD are showing a release date of June 2nd.

*crosses fingers*
konkonsn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Tell this person they can't come over because you're learning how to make omelettes.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Ouch about Shuffle! Well I already bought the individual volumes some time ago from TRSI during the 12 days sale so I won't need to get the slim pack unless something happens to the DVD I already own. Although I will admit the first half of Shuffle! is not so great, it's still not that bad of a series overall. I wouldn't say it's one of my top ten favorite shows but it's one that I feel I didn't waste my time watching.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shepperoni

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:16 pm Reply with quote
I liked Shuffle!, I bought all six individual DVDs. (no panties edition though Embarassed ) Of course I like harem shows. Though I will admit Shuffle's nowhere near as good as Key's titles. I tried getting into Moribito, but the story just didn't seem to have any room to expand. And even though I don't like the "monster of the week" tactic, I still have D.Gray-man Netflixed. It might be one of those Shonen titles that gets better with time! Smile
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:39 pm Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:
Ranemoraken wrote:

Without a being a smart-alek, are you referring to release date? Right Stuf and AnimeOnDVD are showing a release date of June 2nd.

*crosses fingers*

My guess is they were referring to Adult Swim dropping the show...
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:42 pm Reply with quote
The thing about D.Gray-Man is though...

Don't expect any real plot development until the series' second season which isn't until episode 52!

The first season is pretty much compiled of introducing the regular cast followed up by filler. I shudder to think what Bamboo is gonna say when she gets to the series' 4th DVD box set.

But if you can hang in there till the second season, D.Gray-Man becomes absolutely amazing.

P.S. Kudos to Bamboo for the Tim Burton reference to this series. I too think Katsura Hoshino's designs look like they were heavily influenced by Burton.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:11 pm Reply with quote
About the person you don't want over Bamboo: Just tell them to stay away if they won't bring something with them. If this person is a close-friend, then level with them. If this is an "aquaintence" or a minor-friend, just tell them to go to hell and be done with it because if they're treating your home like a resturant now, it probably won't get better in the future.

I aleady have Full Metal Alchemist on my shelves in singles so no need for that one.

I'm curious how much of D.Gray-man you watched Bamboo since you characterized it as "monster-of-the-week" but by the second disc it's doing a multi-ep arc with the repeating town and Road Camelot starting at ep 9 I think. That would seem to indicate a shift after introducing the various characters.

Still can't decide if I want to get Moribito and support a company I'm unfriendly toward or not. Maybe the box set when it comes out.

Bought Shuffle singles. Like Shuffle singles. Out brains work very differently. (Yet oddly enough, for the third time I could guess the placement of the shows before reading the column. You're a bit predictable.)

Well-written column as always even if I know your opinions before you make them. That just shows I've been reading Shelf Life for a good long while.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6