• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Cross Game (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Killtheshrew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:51 pm Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
As for the question on the last preview? spoiler[Are you sure you wanna know?] spoiler[No turning back now you really sure?] spoiler[Yes, judging by the previews it matches that part and line in the manga fairly well.]

Thanks for clearing that up. I'm a bit worried because I've heard from a few readers that spoiler[the relationship between the two is left a little vague at the end of the manga. For a series this long I'd really like it to wrap up fairly solidly when it comes to Kou and Aoba]

Being as you've read the manga I'd really like to hear your opinion on this if you wouldn't mind. Please
Key

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, I actually found episodes 48 and 49 to be well-paced and suitably intense. The way episode 49 ended was, I thought, a wonderfully-appropriate gimmick of a cliffhanger, one that I don't think needs to be repeated (or shown from a different angle) in the next episode for it to have full impact. It's just fine as is.

And based on the Next Episode preview, looks like we'll need tissue handy for the final episode. My expectations for it are going to be very high, and based on what we've seen so far, I doubt it will let me down.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nechronius

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I think the manga ending was appropriate. Could it have ended better? Well sure, but I don't think more was necessarily required. I think some people just want more, which I can completely understand.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:03 am Reply with quote
Killtheshrew: spoiler[Hmm... if people found it vague, they may not have been paying attention to some things. Just like nechronius said, I think more then vague, people just wanted a little bit more. But don't be mistaken. It's a really nice ending and really an appropriate one given how Adachi constructed all the characters.]

Key: I don't know, spoiler[I personally would like them to replay the moment when Kou takes out the token and stretched a bit with the flashbacks.] But maybe I'm just sad it's gonna be a 50 episode series rather then a 51 or 52. Sigh... no more cross games and so far, I'm not liking his Q & A series all that much. It's okay but not really into it at this point.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Oh no! My cherished series is coming to an end sooner than I thought it would...how unfortunate, I was hoping they would leave more wiggle room for the ending but it all comes down to the next episode! Cheers Cross Game, it's been a long, great run!

For the record, 49 completely met my expectations with a appropriately mind blowing climax.
nechronius

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:40 am Reply with quote
Q&A... Anime hyper

Well there's still room for improvement. Lots of room. We're talking giant warehouse worth of room. But I'm sure Adachi wants a break from all the heavy drama for now. For now Q&A makes me QQ but not in a good way. At least not yet.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:41 am Reply with quote
Final episode thoughts:

Unsurprisingly, the series stays true to itself through to the very end. The final episode ("More Than Anyone") does exactly what it needs to do without ever breaking character or necessarily doing it in exactly the way that you'd expect, and yes, one scene does get suitably emotional. It doesn't spoiler[describe what happens at Koshien], but it doesn't need to because that was never part of the plot.

All-in-all, it is a perfect ending for one of the best series in the past couple of years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nechronius

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:07 am Reply with quote
Have to agree wholeheartedly. Even reading the manga well ahead of the anime didn't spoil my enjoyment of the series. Fantastic stuff and a real shame that a lot of people didn't give this one more of a chance because it wasn't ecchi, moe, or action-ey enough. Just goes to show that proper writing makes for an excellent show, even if not viewed by the masses.

It's definitely on my buy list if/when it's released stateside.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:21 am Reply with quote
I really wish I didn't like the slowest fansub group the most... Blew through eps. 41-49 today, and now I'm jumping up and down for the last episode. Hopefully by Wednesday I can watch it.

The last few episodes had me yelling, as if I were watching a real baseball game. Good times.

Looking forward to the US manga release, and hoping to god the anime gets licensed so I can buy it.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:09 am Reply with quote
TV Tokyo's involvement in Cross Game caught my eye while I was watching an episode recently. Given TV Tokyo's ties to Crunchyroll, does the fact that Cross Game didn't appear there suggest the production committee expects to get a full DVD license in R1? It's generally thought that shows about sports don't fare well over here. Is that a wrong perception? Would Cross Game meet the same fate?

Cross Game is such a fine example of what a family-oriented anime can be that I wish it had appeared on Crunchyroll. In particular, there are very few good recent shows appropriate for younger (8-14) boys. Cross Game now tops my short list of shounen series worth recommending to anyone.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:03 pm Reply with quote
At long last, the final episode. It was a bit moving to see the scene between Aoba and Kou after the game was over. I still would've very much liked to have seen the stadium and atmosphere at Koushien at least, but I guess we all can't have it our ways! The way they finally tied off the romantic ends in this show suited it quite well. Man, now I wanna read the ending of the manga because I don't think I've had enough of Cross Game yet!

And he finally got that wedding reception he wanted. Let's go, Koushien! Smile
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:22 pm Reply with quote
It's over! Time to cry! Who needs a hug?

The good subs where quick for the last episode and I gratefully thank them for that. Hope you guys were satisfied with the ending cause just like the manga, it was a good one. Like a number of us said, it's a very appropriate, very in character ending. Would we have liked a more intimate momentspoiler[ besides a hug and holding hands]? Sure but it would have been very out of the blue unless the ending was a bit longer by a chapter or 2 to build to that level. But the anime did a very nice job with the added moments in the ending credits which I felt gave things a bit of a better closer. Ahhh... it's over! I need a hug.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:02 am Reply with quote
For all of the commentary about the "good" subs, I never found any problem with the fastest group; in fact, I preferred them since they typically put the episode title in the file name.

Repeat viewings isn't hurting my appreciation for this episode, either. I honestly don't see how this could have been handled any more masterfully or satisfyingly than it was.
wombat6025

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:31 am Reply with quote
Caught up with episode 50 last night Very Happy

For me the last few episodes were a bit of a disappointment; spoiler[I really wanted to see Wakka's dream with Kou, Aoba and Akayishi(?) playing at Koushien so when it was clear we weren't gonna get there] I felt a little let down.

Episode 1 is the best anime episode I've seen and the first half-dozen episodes make a brilliant start which the rest of the series (as good as it was) couldn't match.

I still can't believe I watched (and loved) 50 episodes of a baseball series Rolling Eyes
Dolza

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:44 am Reply with quote
spoiler["How long are we going to hold hands?"
"You can let go if you don't like it."
"Understood."]

What a great exchange.

I really enjoyed this series. Too bad it has zero chance of ever being released in the US.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 11