• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4 Convicted in Pirate Bay File-Sharing Trial, Appeals Planned

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrantZ9001

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Hardgear wrote:
El_PwnedO wrote:
Google doesn't openly mock Cease and Desist letters publicly.... even though I personally found TPBs replies amusing, its kinda like mooning the cops after you got away with a ticket. Razz

My thoughts exactly!!

This is the main reason I am glad they finally went to trial and lost.

There is nothing wrong in mocking the C&D letters when it's none of their business to care about the letters. We have to remember that this was in Sweden, not the US.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:07 pm Reply with quote
GrantZ9001 wrote:
Hardgear wrote:
El_PwnedO wrote:
Google doesn't openly mock Cease and Desist letters publicly.... even though I personally found TPBs replies amusing, its kinda like mooning the cops after you got away with a ticket. Razz

My thoughts exactly!!

There is nothing wrong in mocking the C&D letters when it's none of their business to care about the letters. We have to remember that this was in Sweden, not the US.

So what your saying is that whenever someone in another country "steals" something from these INTERNATIONAL companies that just happen to be based in the US, then they have no right to try to bring the perpetrators to justice?
El_PwnedO

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Hardgear wrote:
mostly because of the above-mentioned openly mocking cease and desist letters, and the fact that unlike legitimate sites, they don't even try to take copyrighted material down. At least sites like Youtube do an occasional sweep.

Not to mention the many, many times they said Swedish law would protect them, thus causing them to not care what was on their site.
El_PwnedO

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Hardgear wrote:

So what your saying is that whenever someone in another country "steals" something from these INTERNATIONAL companies that just happen to be based in the US, then they have no right to try to bring the perpetrators to justice?

They mocked companies from all around the world, not just the US....
GrantZ9001

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Hardgear wrote:
GrantZ9001 wrote:
Hardgear wrote:
El_PwnedO wrote:

My thoughts exactly!!

Nah, I'm just saying that under the Swedish law they didn't have to care about the letters. That's all I'm saying. The fact that they chose to mock them is irrelevant.

Also, TPB wasn't the perpetrator. The users were. They should have gone after the users, not the indexing service.
Shale

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:14 pm Reply with quote
GrantZ9001 wrote:
Shale wrote:
Because if you index everything, then you're not held responsible for catching some illegal materials in with the rest of the Internet. If you index copyright violations specifically (see the season-by-season list of TV show torrents I pointed out earlier), the courts get less understanding.

But TPB doesn't index only copyrighted material. They only index the torrent files, which their users submit to the site. I just can't see why the TPB should be punished for the actions of the users.

I could have sworn I already said this.

Quote:
Also, the argument that the PB owners were essentially victimized by their users uploading copyrighted files on their own kind of falls apart if you actually visit the site, and see that there are three dozen TV shows that have been given their own indexes coded into the site, with torrents manually sorted out and listed by season.

I'm pretty sure the users didn't submit a site with separate sections for season 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. of 24.
El_PwnedO

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Shale wrote:
I'm pretty sure the users didn't submit a site with separate sections for season 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. of 24.

pfft, downloading a TV show is hardly "piracy", if I choose to download it instead of DVRing it, or recording via VCR there is no difference Razz.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:19 pm Reply with quote
GrantZ9001 wrote:
Nah, I'm just saying that under the Swedish law they didn't have to care about the letters. That's all I'm saying. The fact that they chose to mock them is irrelevant.

Also, TPB wasn't the perpetrator. The users were. They should have gone after the users, not the indexing service.

I actually agree with you on most of that, I just love to see arrogant schmucks that think they are safe and can talk trash get proven wrong is all.

TPB was a perpetrator IMO, as Shale points out. As for the users, as much as i would love for there to be an easy way to bring them to justice, it would be too expensive to sue so many millions of people and then follow through, makin sure they pay up etc. So the best method companies have to protect their stuff is to take down sites that distribute it (or in TPB's case allow access to it) illegally.
GrantZ9001

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Shale wrote:

Oh yeah, I forgot that section. I never use it.

I can now see why they were also seen as perpetrators. It was just that the rest of the prosecutor's case, when you listened to the stream, was so weak that I completely forgot about this. I admit defeat lol. Oh well, doesn't impact me in any other way than that I will not be buying stuff from these companies in a while.
GrantZ9001

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Hardgear wrote:
As for the users, as much as i would love for there to be an easy way to bring them to justice, it would be too expensive to sue so many millions of people and then follow through, makin sure they pay up etc. So the best method companies have to protect their stuff is to take down sites that distribute it (or in TPB's case allow access to it) illegally.

There is a cheap way of getting money from the people. It's called blackmail and they're using it already. "Pay $3000 or get sued" is the motto. This way they can basically even get people who haven't even committed copyright-infringement to pay, because no one wants to risk a multimillion dollar bill. This is the reason I call them mafia.

Taking down sites will in the end only hurt them, because people will start using more and more anonymous techniques for file-sharing. The Pandora's box has been opened and it can't be closed anymore.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:40 pm Reply with quote
GrantZ9001 wrote:
Hardgear wrote:
As for the users, as much as i would love for there to be an easy way to bring them to justice, it would be too expensive to sue so many millions of people and then follow through, makin sure they pay up etc. So the best method companies have to protect their stuff is to take down sites that distribute it (or in TPB's case allow access to it) illegally.

There is a cheap way of getting money from the people. It's called blackmail and they're using it already. "Pay $3000 or get sued" is the motto. This way they can basically even get people who haven't even committed copyright-infringement to pay, because no one wants to risk a multimillion dollar bill. This is the reason I call them mafia.

Taking down sites will in the end only hurt them, because people will start using more and more anonymous techniques for file-sharing. The Pandora's box has been opened and it can't be closed anymore.

Touche

Yeah, pirates do always find a way. Like the dance MS and the pirates do with Xbox 360 cracking. Best they can do is get what they can back through blackmail and these lawsuits.
Mr. Anobe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:41 pm Reply with quote
This conviction does not accomplish any significance for the recording / movie industry...that site is still running right?

I mean, this is just the beginning of a new war on this so-called "piracy"...and not the one with the other "piracy" going on recently overseas. So, the recording / movie industry can complain, whine, throwing bricks and even making threatening letters to them, and still more coming in different directions to continue.
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see this happening, hope it makes prosecuting bootleggers easier worldwide. Don't care what anyonelse says, this is good for the creative industry, and good for consumers if it means directing people towards legit sources and business models that can get similar material to them while also paying the people who make media [music/comics/animation/TV/films]

These aren't "cool people just like you!" they're international criminals circumventing laws and ruining peoples incomes- not just big movie execs, but all the people involved in making films, television, magazines, many of them freelance and very dependent on getting regular work. All while posing as these cool people fighting for what's right, while stroking their egos like a YouTube user making sweet love to their VideoCam. [basically, Jerks, complete with Fan Delusion Pony accessories]

They also ruin the availability of media by bootlegging magazines, dvd's, which affects sales, which affects the amount of material companies can put out, and the number of retail outlets they can put the material in, which means we all lose out on that end as well, especially honest peopel who don't bootleg.
GrantZ9001

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
Glad to see this happening, hope it makes prosecuting bootleggers easier worldwide. Don't care what anyonelse says, this is good for the creative industry, and good for consumers if it means directing people towards legit sources and business models that can get similar material to them while also paying the people who make media [music/comics/animation/TV/films]

Well it had the opposite effect on me. Thanks to this I won't be buying any of their stuff. For me this basically means that i won't go see movies produced by the companies in question.

Paploo wrote:
These aren't "cool people just like you!" they're international criminals circumventing laws and ruining peoples incomes- not just big movie execs, but all the people involved in making films, television, magazines, many of them freelance and very dependent on getting regular work. All while posing as these cool people fighting for what's right, while stroking their egos like a YouTube user making sweet love to their VideoCam. [basically, Jerks, complete with Fan Delusion Pony accessories]

That sounds an awful lot like one of those Hollywood-produced "piracy is a crime"-videos. I've met one of the TPB guys IRL and he was a person just like anyone. The picture which Hollywood tries to generate of these people is completely false.

I should say that people who sell bootlegs should be prosecuted. That is the piracy I oppose. It's true that people who sell bootlegs often may have criminal connections.

It's funny that dling stuff from the Interbutts made me a more active consumer of media. I started to go to the movies more; started to go to gigs, hell I discovered all my favorite bands (and metal music for that matter) thanks to p2p; I never bought albums, now I buy a couple almost every month & sometimes buy merchandise; I'd most likely never had gotten into anime if it wasn't for p2p. I think I actually have to thank P2P for the way I am today.
Axe-336

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm just wondering why it took this long for them to try and do something to Pirates Bay, it's been around forever.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9