• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyopop recent quality issues

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Extalia wrote:
Tokyopop should just give up on translating Japanese manga. I mean there was a mention once that their Original English manga, sold almost as well as their best-selling manga. It's for Tokyopop's own good if they want to stop receiving hate mail or more backlashes. And plus, without those Japanese licenses in Tp's hands, fans would probably see their favorite series in better condition( meaning as close to the original as possible and in translation quality too(:

If Tokyopop wants to die off then they should give up on manga. Most of their catalog consists of manga, with just a bit of manhwa, manhua, and OEL mixed in. TP's OEL may sell well, but that's only a few out of the batch. They translate and release manga, and get series on the bestselling manga lists. TP hit some tough times, but at least they are improving and listening to people. They still have a long way to go, of course, but they are.

And what makes you think these other series would even get picked up by other companies? VIZ deals mostly with Shogakukan and Shueisha, while Del Rey works with Kodansha; they all have contracts/co-ownderships with these companies and they don't seem to go outside these boundaries unless they know it will benefit them. That means that Tokyopop picks up series mostly from Nihonbungeisha, Akita Shoten, and other more minor publishers. If Tokyopop were to suddenly lose all of its licenses, only a handful of them would be picked up; the better selling ones, of course. Yen Press is the only company I can think of that really goes outside of Square Enix, but they are still a bit new and must choose their titles carefully.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:25 am Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
VIZ deals mostly with Shogakukan and Shueisha, while Del Rey works with Kodansha; they all have contracts/co-ownderships with these companies and they don't seem to go outside these boundaries unless they know it will benefit them. That means that Tokyopop picks up series mostly from Nihonbungeisha, Akita Shoten, and other more minor publishers.
Yeah, TokyoPop used to get some Kodansha ones. Not sure if they somehow got any Shogakukan and Shueisha since Viz pretty much got all of those as they're owned by those Japanese publishers as pretty much a US branch. Once Kodansha signed with Del Ray the writing was on the wall. Of course now Kodansha's trying publishing some of their bigger titles on their own in the US. Nevermind the market being flooded with manga titles anyway.
GloriousMaximus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:10 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
Ooo, good news!!

From the Amazon discussion, from a Tokyopop rep:

"A few months ago, a number of you were discussing the new paper in our manga -- I believe J. Gebhard began the conversation -- and I responded that we were exploring our paper options since we made the paper change in March. I'm here to report that our printer has now found a mill in the U.S. that will produce the equivalent of our 50-lb paper -- paper that is nearly identical in quality to what we used before we made the switch this past March. Books that will go on sale in October will have this new paper."

Yay!

It's December now (sorry for the bump) but has anyone gotten any manga from Tokyopop since they started putting the manga on better quality paper in October? Does the new paper make any difference?
imderekyup

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:10 am Reply with quote
Just from holding Future Diary volumes 1 and 4 the paper does feel of a higher quality and sturdier.
GloriousMaximus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I remember this one time I bought the Welcome to the NHK light novel they released a few years back and I think on the inside cover or somewhere near there it said it was volume 1... I was thinking isn't there only one NHK light novel?! I was confused for days and to this day I'm still wondering how the editor could've let that one slip by!
Also the description of the plot of the novel on the back cover was quite possibly the worst description ever!
Jaymie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy to say that Tokyopop's paper quality did improve! But the translations in some of their newer volumes are still shoddy. Rolling Eyes

The fact that they're considering using scanlations is a good thing, honestly. Some of those Tokyopop editors could learn a thing or two from scanlators.
animepuppy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I've never been a big fan of tokyopop, because most of there manga dosn't really interst me that much.
Only manga I'm buying from them that dose intreist me is SGT.Frog
DarkCyradis

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm holding volume 4 of Maid Sama! and the paper and ink/print quality both look pretty good to me (none of the weird "fuzzy/scratched-out-ink" issues that I noticed in volume 1).

I've also avoided TP titles for a long time due to quality issues, and while I still don't think their lettering is impressive (they don't do sound effecs or change font/size to match signs, etc--just the same little font), I think the translation, at least, has improved to the point where it reads smoothly and seems pretty accurate. I don't know if this is an across-the-board quality improvement because I don't read any other TP titles, but I've enjoyed all 4 volumes of MS! so far.

Hope that helps~
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Tokyopop has had shooty quality in there books off & on for years...the lamination, & paper quality are alot weaker when compared to VIZ, Del-ray, Yen Press, etc...heck the only Title I've bought that was of decent quality from them would be recent Alice in the Country of Hearts manga series. In fact its the 1st series from TP I've been happy about the quality of the product in quite some time.
Avarwen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:08 pm Reply with quote
It's not surprising that TP has some low quality stuff. With all the titles they have been putting out it was bound to happen sooner or later. It's not like bank in the old days when the went under the Mixx title they far had fewer titles and were able focus on them more. Now they just pick what ever cool title they can and put it out as quick as they can. TP IMO is not as good as that use to be which is why haven't bought anything from them in years.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8