• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
One anime writer expresses frustrations with industry.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:09 am Reply with quote
I was looking at Siliconera and found this interesting article(If ANN plans to write a headline, please credit me on this). One of the writer for Cowboy Bebop anime, Dai Sato, expresses a lot of frustration for the anime industry. Now I'm just putting this up for your opinion and I don't know what to say for the article, I'll put up some selected quote on what he said about sub-contracting and outsourcing animation:

Sato wrote:
One of the practices Sato takes issue with is outsourcing work for “in-between” frames of animation to smaller external contractors (often in China and Korea). Outsourcing and contracting work to external studios, Sato feels, leads to a loss in consistency, as sub-contractors are often unaware of the projects they are working on. He uses Macross as an example, where the “continuity between images was awful” and laments that, despite this, the industry has been following the same practice ever since.
An extension of this problem, in Sato’s views, is that sub-contractors aren’t invested in their work at all, which he sees as the single largest problem plaguing the anime industry today. At the same time, however, he feels Japan can no longer claim anime as their own creation either. He accuses the anime industry of refusing to teach these Asian sub-contractors the skills required to craft their own stories because it could potentially damage the position of Japan in anime production.

Now he rant about the no respect for stories:

Quote:
Switching gears, Sato also felt that the Japanese audience lacks a certain respect for storytelling. He laments the lack of an Ergo Proxy (for which he penned the story) DVD boxset in Japan, whereas the series received boxsets in other nations around the world. He went on to mention that Eureka Seven was dismissed in Japan as a clone of Neon Genesis Evangelion based on certain similarities in character designs (referring specifically to Rei Ayanami and Eureka).

Sato questions whether the audience is even interested in taking a deeper look into stories that creators put out. He feels the general audience is losing its ability to understand the meaning behind narratives that they experience. That works with a focus on plot and narrative are passed up in favour of those with an emphasis on cute characters and no real plot progression. As a result, he says, writers such as himself are finding it harder to find work, even as “Hollywood rips off our ideas.”

"Hollywood rips off our ideas", what about Japan taking US influences and applying it into anime and sometime without putting the original source in the credit. Also I know Asian films that have ripped off US films like the Korean film, H (which looks a lot like Silence of the Lamb and Seven). If he's complain about that, what about Asia ripping off American idea.

Now Sato talks about the future of anime:

Quote:
At a time like this, Sato says, the doujinshi (indie) scene is a source of inspiration. Since manga requires less staff to create something original than anime, he feels it is the last bastion of creativity within the industry. “Manga is the last hold out,” he said to his audience. “If that is lost, there will be no more anime.”

Personally, he feels that anime will die out in Japan in a few decades, but he wishes to continue working on it to prevent this outcome. He added that he has never had the freedom to work on something he wanted to. All the series he has written were shaped by commercial and professional restraints, and that he had to work to make them interesting within those constraints.

I don't know what to say about this passage, I think the anime will die out in Japan in a few decades is a bit ridiculous, if it's going to die out then wouldn't the restraints/restrictions be reduced in order to save the industry if it was dying. Also, they can always adapt western stories or popular western franchise into anime.

After reading the passage and the whole article via link. What's your reaction/opinion to his rant about the industry?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ZakoSoldier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:45 pm Reply with quote
I think that the issues he brings up are valid ones and it comes down to companies being willing to take risks on things that could be good but might not be popular.

Another thing that he doesn't bring up is that shows are getting more and more targeted as time goes on. They will aim for a group of people and only hit there. There are less and less broad appeal shows and movies, while shows that are based around fandom grow. They are being made for the anime fan and not the TV viewer is a good way to put it.
Mr. Gruntsworthy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Poor guy. If I knew some Japanese, I'd write the guy and give him the equivalent of a 'kudos.'
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that's a shame about the Japanese not giving Eureka Seven a chance. Renton and Eureka have a small handful of similarities to Shinji and Rei, but the rest of their personality and experiences are very different, and the rest of the series is completely different for the most part from Eva. It's one of BONES' finest series, I wish the Japanese hadn't ignored it because of false first impressions.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:18 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Wow, that's a shame about the Japanese not giving Eureka Seven a chance. Renton and Eureka have a small handful of similarities to Shinji and Rei, but the rest of their personality and experiences are very different, and the rest of the series is completely different for the most part from Eva.

Quite. Part of the appeal of Eureka is the fact she becomes less like Rei as the series progresses. Eureka Seven is not a wholly original title in virtue of its many borrowed themes and motifs, though one cannot deny that it slowly but surely develops defining characteristics distinguishable from other mecha works.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
An extension of this problem, in Sato’s views, is that sub-contractors aren’t invested in their work at all, which he sees as the single largest problem plaguing the anime industry today. At the same time, however, he feels Japan can no longer claim anime as their own creation either. He accuses the anime industry of refusing to teach these Asian sub-contractors the skills required to craft their own stories because it could potentially damage the position of Japan in anime production.
Wow that's an interesting perspective on the apparent lack of growth in the Korean made anime market that I hadn't realized before. Why promote creativity outside Japan and only see these Korean and Chinese artists as cheap labor for doing menial animation tasks, when doing otherwise might threaten your own livelihood and the status of Japan with respect to anime? Although the reasoning from the point of view of Japan does have merit, I think there are other motives based on the subconscious racism against Koreans that the Japanese sometimes express.

I think the notion that anime will die out in Japan has more metaphysical implications than a literal one. It does not mean anime will no longer be produced in Japan, it's more like anime will be seen as a universal medium that will retain it's unique look but won't be regarded as anything uniquely Japanese. In fact something along these lines is threatening to become reality possibly within the next 3-5 years.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Dai Sato is one of my favorite anime writers, but he's being a bit of an alarmist here.

Also, if anything, Eureka Seven is Gundam X, not Evangelion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I never knew writers had so little freedom. I mean, I know that almost all Anime is produced by a committee, but its purpose was by and large to divvy up proceeds and various merchandising rights. It never occurred to me until now that those companies chipping in the money might demand changes to the story that better appeal to their target demographics, but it makes total sense.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I love Dai Sato and all of his works and I'm glad he's talking out against some of the frustrating aspects of the current industry. he brings up allot of good points that I need to be addressed in the anime community before it gets out of hand. And i can really understand Sato's frustrations, in all of his works you can clearly see his strong passion for the deeper and more creative side of anime. The series that he's actually written the full screenplay like Ergo Proxy or Wolf's Rain you can clearly see his desire to push the boundaries. Even when he's only writing a few episodes like Ghost in the Shell or Cowboy Bebop you can still tell which episodes he worked on simply because they tend to be so different. And I can only imagine how upsetting it is for him to watch most of the newer anime that's coming out. That said I think his last statement about anime dying out in a few decades is a bit over the top. It seems like an overreaction to say the least.

Also it sounds like he's expressing allot of interest in manga in this article. I wonder if he's thinking about continuing work as a mangaka. I can only imagine the kind of story he'd put together if he had more freedom to work with.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Mushi-Man wrote:
The series that he's actually written the full screenplay like Ergo Proxy or Wolf's Rain you can clearly see his desire to push the boundaries.
Keiko Nobumoto wrote the series composition for Wolf's Rain, not Dai Sato.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:48 pm Reply with quote
How can Dai Sato badmouth anyone about anyone being original when he worked on motherfreakin' Halo Legends. And not just any segment, he worked on The Package, one of the weak ol' ones. And while it's not ripping off anyone, it's taking an already popular franchise and taking Western ideas.

I feel this guy should really practice what he preaches and stop talking and start acting. This guy must be in some position at some anime production company to at least make some sort of change in the industry. All it takes is one anime. We can all blame ToHeart and it's success for what's happening right now with all these titles with no crossover appeal for gods' sake. That's right, ToHeart is to blame for EVERYTHING!
Opera Floozy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:51 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
How can Dai Sato badmouth anyone about anyone being original when he worked on motherfreakin' Halo Legends. And not just any segment, he worked on The Package, one of the weak ol' ones. And while it's not ripping off anyone, it's taking an already popular franchise and taking Western ideas.

Because:
Quote:
He added that he has never had the freedom to work on something he wanted to. All the series he has written were shaped by commercial and professional restraints, and that he had to work to make them interesting within those constraints.

This was quoted in the opening post and answers your question. It is expected that any but the very best artists will produce significant numbers of works that are largely considered mediocre, and no artists can produce any work that is universally considered good. The fact that you consider The Package a weak episode does not mean Dai Sato has no right to complain about the lack of creativity in the industry.

I'm kind of surprised that there are people here who are... well... surprised that anime studios care about the bottom line first when producing anime. It's already a cutthroat industry, and they're businesses operating within the industry. I'd expect them to do anything possible to ensure that they make a (most likely slim) profit.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:55 pm Reply with quote
You know, on one hand I agree with many of the things he says. I think he brings up a lot of legitimate criticisms of the anime industry and anime fans. At the same time, he really comes off as a bit of a whiner. He basically picks out the two series he composed and complains about how people didn't like them as much as he thinks they should. Personally, I think if Ergo Proxy and Eureka Seven weren't super popular, it's because they were both as dull as watching paint dry. Maybe a lack of creative freedom is a problem in the anime industry but in this case...well maybe Dai Sato doesn't have complete creative freedom because he shouldn't have complete creative freedom. He does great work when he's working under another writer and just dong a number of specific episodes. When you give him a whole series to work with though it doesn't really turn out that well in my opinion. You can argue that maybe it didn't turn out well because of creative interference but then, you'd think he would at worst still have more freedom on a project where he's head writer/series composer.
larethian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I agree on the part that where people start labeling a particular title as a clone of another based on similarities in character design and even powers, and the plot is totally ignored. And this doesn't just apply to Japanese, but people outside of Japan. And that's so sad.
Shadowvitesse62

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Some aspects I will agree with, such as the lack of passion with outsourced artwork and the refusal of anime studios to outsource their methods of story creation. It does seem valid, and it's difficult to drum up passion when you are told what to draw, color, and produce, rather than letting your imagination run wild.

I will admit there's a cost issue, but for me, it seems like it's partially a recalibration issue, when investing a bit more in your outsourcing would make the art and animation much better, leading to higher sales. Sure, it'd be brilliant if everything was done in-house, but well, feasibility and cost, so compromises need to be made somewhere. Maybe lower the amount of outsourcing required?

But for the stories, I will have to disagree. There is still an audience out there looking to interpret and delve deeper into stories, but those deep series are just overshadowed by "commodity" or "junk food" anime that's just there for either a set of laughs or for shoring up profits because it uses a previously built up fanbase. I'd say to the anime companies: it'll build your bottom line, but it's not doing anything for your goodwill. The best ideas come from here *points to head*. The problem is that these series are just getting fewer and far-between, as sequels, remakes, and redos of old ideas are seen more and more. I'm always up for watching something that has a good story and just has that special something that sets itself apart from its competitors.

But... as for the "no effort is being made to draw parallels with real-world problems and issues", I'm tempted to make a Phoenix Wrightesque yell of "Objection!" Um, what about Gundam 00? Code Geass? Not as sure about these, but... Welcome to the NHK? GTO? Honey and Clover? .hack//Sign? Aren't there multiple series that have themes such as finding oneself, fitting in with others, struggling to achieve your goals, or the struggle of life? I'm not sure if I look too deep into my series when I see these themes, but they're there, and to dismiss anime as not focusing on aspects of life in the real world seems too hasty and short-sighted.

Last edited by Shadowvitesse62 on Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2