• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Terminator 4 Director McG: I Love Sailor Moon, Akihabara

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I suspect the Ishinomaki police are aware of the Macross usage. Note that Ishinomaki has a museum dedicated to the works of Shōtarō Ishinomori, creater of Cyborg 009 and Kamen Rider.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:46 pm Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
Salvation wasn't too bad as an action movie, but I'm biased in any movie that involves 'robots take over the world' as a premise, as generally the machines are so hideously incompetent that it's laughable.

This I agree with. But I find myself perfectly able to suspend disbelief, and as such the incompetence of Skynet is made acceptable. Aside from which, the way the Terminator worldview handles time travel is far more hideous in my opinion.

Also, it seems to me that the usability of 'deculture' has further expanded in Macross Frontier. There is as much positive use as there is negative (at least from what I remember -- it's been a while since I saw it).
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:21 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
This I agree with. But I find myself perfectly able to suspend disbelief, and as such the incompetence of Skynet is made acceptable. Aside from which, the way the Terminator worldview handles time travel is far more hideous in my opinion.
It's gotta happen eventually.Sure it's cheesy but you kind of gotta expect that the way it's originally made.Full circle ,ya know.
Proman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:15 am Reply with quote
Wetall wrote:
nicomorr wrote:
Emma Iveli wrote:
You know... if you think about what he says it's quite funny, he is obvoually pandering to the people there saying how he loves Sailor Moon and Akihabara: He choose an anime that known thoguh out the US... and when he said he liked Akihabara reminded me of when Spinal Tap appeared on the Simpsons. "Oh yes, I love Japan... I espccilly love (looks at hand, Akihabara is written on it) Akihabara."

Nice post Emma Iveli - depressingly funny - ANN reported this as straight news - also depressing. Pandering is an unlovely word but quite exact here - ANN is pandering by treating this as news. Why do I bother Very Happy

Maybe it's just doing its job as a news network?

This all comes back to the issue of whether or not this is actually "news". I think we are way past the point where anytime someone uses the word "anime" there is a necessity to report it as frontpage news.

Not that I'm terribly upset that this was reported or anything. I was just making a point.
nicomorr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:07 am Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
nicomorr wrote:
the UK Sunday papers have disappointed me also today - cheap sensationalist journalism with minimal research & total disregard for any actual facts or real opinions based on hard labour
The sky is also blue. Expecting anything factual at all in UK tabloids is going to be a disappointment any day of the week.
Tabloids! I was referring to the UK broadsheets - total dumbing down, waste of £2! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Tenchi wrote:
Terminator Salvation was pretty decent as a "companion piece", ....
It's the difference between one of the later Star Trek films (who remembers after Number 5 or so) & the new Star Trek, a genuine reboot of a wonderful franchise. In one case the bottom line is $$$$, in the other some serious film-making was achieved. For example - my sister (an intelligent Trekkie of 65) spent hours discussing with me the introduction of new characters in Star Trek & where they might be going in the next few Star Trek films .... I rest my case.

Wetall wrote:
.... Maybe it's just doing its job as a news network?
Recycling studio-publicity-department-originated 'news' is not what ANN should be about IMHO.

NMM Rolling Eyes
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:24 am Reply with quote
Proman wrote:

This all comes back to the issue of whether or not this is actually "news". I think we are way past the point where anytime someone uses the word "anime" there is a necessity to report it as frontpage news.

Not that I'm terribly upset that this was reported or anything. I was just making a point.

Well, this is a website, not a newspaper, and we don't have a Page A2 to print "lesser news" on.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:32 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Well, this is a website, not a newspaper, and we don't have a Page A2 to print "lesser news" on.

What about Daily Briefs?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:14 am Reply with quote
nicomorr wrote:
ANN reported this as straight news - also depressing. Pandering is an unlovely word but quite exact here - ANN is pandering by treating this as news. Why do I bother Very Happy

ANN did not report this as "straight news"; this was reported as a "Not-So-Daily Link of the Day." Like the Lucky Star and Evangelion underpants, the 15-ton beetle robot, and manuals for boys-love otaku, "Not-So-Daily Links of the Day" are mainly for items too bizarre to take with a straight face. In other words, they are ANN's equivalent of Ripley's Believe It or Not. Like Asrialys pointed out, this article and others have a "Not-So-Daily Link of the Day" tag — in boldface — before the first sentence as a clear signal that it is not the run-of-the-mill story. (A headline that names both Terminator and Sailor Moon is another clear signal.)
nicomorr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:50 am Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
nicomorr wrote:
ANN reported this as straight news - also depressing. Pandering is an unlovely word but quite exact here - ANN is pandering by treating this as news. Why do I bother Very Happy

ANN did not report this as "straight news"; this was reported as a "Not-So-Daily Link of the Day." Like the Lucky Star and Evangelion underpants, the 15-ton beetle robot, and manuals for boys-love otaku, "Not-So-Daily Links of the Day" are mainly for items too bizarre to take with a straight face. In other words, they are ANN's equivalent of Ripley's Believe It or Not. Like Asrialys pointed out, this article and others have a "Not-So-Daily Link of the Day" tag — in boldface — before the first sentence as a clear signal that it is not the run-of-the-mill story. (A headline that names both Terminator and Sailor Moon is another clear signal.)

Sorry old son - I get my ANN 'news' from the RSS feed, which does not differentiate (That feed item is now deleted so I hope I'm correct). In any case - my point is that far too much effort goes into trivial reporting & far too little into serious & stimulating journalism.

Of course this is a general trend, not just ANN, but I lament it just the same.

NMM Crying or Very sad

edit:
Found the RSS feed item, was "Terminator 4 Director McG: I Love Sailor Moon, Akihabara". no indication of status or importance.
LondinCalling

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:59 am Reply with quote
This comes off as a very diplomatic attempt to get attention from Japanese fans.

If he's telling the truth though, it would explain y so many people disliked T:Salvation.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:53 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Primus wrote:
Salvation was the worst movie I've watched in a theatre this year, and I've seen DBE twice.

I pray you are trolling, yet in my heart I fear it isn't so.

For better or worse, I had fun watching DBE. I wanted to leave the theatre during Salvation, but my friends didn't want to go.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:12 am Reply with quote
nicomorr wrote:
Sorry old son - I get my ANN 'news' from the RSS feed, which does not differentiate.

In that case, I would definitely suggest reading a particular news article — instead of reading just its headline and the one-line intro in an RSS feed — before writing a multi-paragraph reply or two to it. One gets more journalism, serious or trivial, that way. Smile

Quote:
In any case - my point is that far too much effort goes into trivial reporting & far too little into serious & stimulating journalism.

1 out of 5 news stories yesterday was a Not-So-Daily Link of the Day. On a Sunday, for the ANN staff. I agree that there can be too much trivia in news these days, but surely, there are more egregious examples of this than one story on an entertainment news website on a Sunday.
nicomorr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:28 am Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
nicomorr wrote:
Sorry old son - I get my ANN 'news' from the RSS feed, which does not differentiate.

In that case, I would definitely suggest reading a particular news article — instead of reading just its headline and the one-line intro in an RSS feed — before writing a multi-paragraph reply or two to it. One gets more journalism, serious or trivial, that way. Smile

Quote:
In any case - my point is that far too much effort goes into trivial reporting & far too little into serious & stimulating journalism.

1 out of 5 news stories yesterday was a Not-So-Daily Link of the Day. On a Sunday, for the ANN staff. I agree that there can be too much trivia in news these days, but surely, there are more egregious examples of this than one story on an entertainment news website on a Sunday.

Of course I read the entire article, good Lord!

My point, of course again, is that the RSS feed does not tell me this is a 'daily trivia' piece. So I had to read it. The RSS feed just has the headline and that's it unless I open the feeder up, in which case I can't see the wood for the trees.

I am entitled to want ANN to be more serious & less targeted towards 15 year old geeks, as it used to be. They are entitled to ignore me, which they do.

NMM Rolling Eyes
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:01 am Reply with quote
nicomorr wrote:

My point, of course again, is that the RSS feed does not tell me this is a 'daily trivia' piece. So I had to read it. The RSS feed just has the headline and that's it unless I open the feeder up, in which case I can't see the wood for the trees.

Fortunately, as mentioned above, one does not have to read far in the entire article beyond the RSS feed — just the "Not-So-Daily Link of the Day" tag in boldface before the first sentence in the article.

Quote:
I am entitled to want ANN to be more serious & less targeted towards 15 year old geeks, as it used to be. They are entitled to ignore me, which they do.

Yes, we're entitled to want different things from an entertainment news website. But, again, is 1 story out of 5 on a Sunday a good place to draw a line? And are we looking through rose-colored glasses for what ANN used to be?

A quick glance at the news archives shows that ANN posted just 2 stories in the 4 Sundays in June 2004. Not 2 stories on one of the Sundays — 2 stories total on all 4 Sundays five years ago. The Monday after one of those news-free Sundays, there were 2 articles (out of 6) about 4chan shutting down and "Dragonball Most Popular Search Ever at Lycos?"

In June 1999, there were 6 stories posted during the entire month. None of them were posted on a Sunday. 2 of the articles were about Pokémon.
nicomorr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:18 am Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
nicomorr wrote:

Fortunately, as mentioned above, one does not have to read far in the entire article beyond the RSS feed — just the "Not-So-Daily Link of the Day" tag in boldface before the first sentence in the article.

Quote:

Yes, we're entitled to want different things from an entertainment news website. But, again, is 1 story out of 5 on a Sunday a good place to draw a line? And are we looking through rose-colored glasses for what ANN used to be?

A quick glance at the news archives shows that ANN posted just 2 stories in the 4 Sundays in June 2004. Not 2 stories on one of the Sundays — 2 stories total on all 4 Sundays five years ago. The Monday after one of those news-free Sundays, there were 2 articles (out of 6) about 4chan shutting down and "Dragonball Most Popular Search Ever at Lycos?"

In June 1999, there were 6 stories posted during the entire month. None of them were posted on a Sunday. 2 of the articles were about Pokémon.

Absolutely - I AM wearing my rose-coloured glasses - I much preferred ANN in its earlier less profit-oriented incarnation. Having said that - I still take the feed & still enjoy some of the content, though I never watch ANN TV nor do I read the DVD reviews sadly.

There are also many people posting in the forums from whom I learn a lot on an ongoing basis. And I love Buried Treasure.

This article was the opposite, Dugup Trivia! Someone could have been paid to do something else is my point. Or did the person who posted that article do it as a volunteer?

NMM Idea
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3