• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Terminator 4 Director McG: I Love Sailor Moon, Akihabara

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:31 am Reply with quote
nicomorr wrote:
Absolutely - I AM wearing my rose-coloured glasses - I much preferred ANN in its earlier less profit-oriented incarnation.

But… I just demonstrated how the news were not more serious or less targeted towards 15 year old geeks, exactly five and ten years ago. If anything, ANN is posting more of all kinds of news, both serious and trivial. A lot more.

Quote:
This article was the opposite, Dugup Trivia! Someone could have been paid to do something else is my point.

Again, on a Sunday?
nicomorr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:40 am Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
nicomorr wrote:
Absolutely - I AM wearing my rose-coloured glasses - I much preferred ANN in its earlier less profit-oriented incarnation.

But… I just demonstrated how the news were not more serious or less targeted towards 15 year old geeks, exactly five and ten years ago. If anything, ANN is posting more of all kinds of news, both serious and trivial. A lot more.

Quote:
This article was the opposite, Dugup Trivia! Someone could have been paid to do something else is my point.

Again, on a Sunday?

Demonstrated? You mean as in QED? After that - you can have the last word - I'm closing this out at my end as this isn't going anywhere.

BTW the posts on "deculture" were jolly interesting - makes me wish I was more motivated to learn Japanese & was a little younger to do it. Such snippets are what keep me here.

NMM Very Happy
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:42 am Reply with quote
Emma Iveli wrote:
You know... if you think about what he says it's quite funny, he is obvoually pandering to the people there saying how he loves Sailor Moon and Akihabara: He choose an anime that known thoguh out the US... and when he said he liked Akihabara reminded me of when Spinal Tap appeared on the Simpsons. "Oh yes, I love Japan... I espccilly love (looks at hand, Akihabara is written on it) Akihabara."
nicomorr wrote:

Nice post Emma Iveli - depressingly funny - ANN reported this as straight news - also depressing. Pandering is an unlovely word but quite exact here - ANN is pandering by treating this as news. Why do I bother Very Happy

Saying we reported it as "straight news" is a little incorrect. It was listed as a "not so daily LOTD."Our LOTD's have always been for items that aren't particularly newsworthy, but are interesting and/or amusing.

BTW, you can always tell when Egan does an LOTD ersus when I do one. When I do them, they're just a link, and a brief front page intro. Egan gives them the full article treatment with a picture, background, etc...

-t
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:55 am Reply with quote
So, nicomorr, if I understand your complaint correctly, you are annoyed that, from the RSS feed, you had no way of telling that this was the less serious, more trivial type,right ?

If you had been able to tell as much from the RSS feed, you would have simply not read the article, and you would have had no complaint. In otherwords, you wouldn't have felt that you were mislead into wasting your time. Do I have that correct ?

Do you think it would correct the problem if we added "Not so Daily LOTD" to the article title itself ?

I'm not offering to do this at this point, but I am offering to consider it.

-t
nicomorr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:12 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
So, nicomorr, if I understand your complaint correctly, you are annoyed that, from the RSS feed, you had no way of telling that this was the less serious, more trivial type,right ?

If you had been able to tell as much from the RSS feed, you would have simply not read the article, and you would have had no complaint. In otherwords, you wouldn't have felt that you were mislead into wasting your time. Do I have that correct ?

Do you think it would correct the problem if we added "Not so Daily LOTD" to the article title itself ?

-t

Yikes! Put on the spot - thinks furioso.

In summary - YES. Spot on Mr Tempest - that is exactly what I'd like.

At longer length:
I realise it's an auto system (I think) but some indication of what department all the feed items originate from would indeed be useful as a part of the feed item subject line.

I suppose, backing off a little, I would appreciate any way of finding items I enjoy more easily .... Egan Loo is correct in that there is a lot MORE news - both trivial & serious - that does mean I have to wade through more dross to find the gold.

And it does seem as if there are a LOT of very committed and knowledgeable people reading & posting here, in addition to your staff, many of whom I know are serious lovers of Anime & Japanese culture.

More news I suppose also shows how mainstream Anime has become - that is a good thing imho, but can make life more difficult for committed otakus like myself.

How do you target two essentially different demographics from one site? The older serious people like myself & the younger 'let's just enjoy the entertainment' fanboys & girls.

Actually - you're not doing badly at all.

NMM

Surprised
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:49 am Reply with quote
nicomorr wrote:

I realise it's an auto system (I think) but some indication of what department all the feed items originate from would indeed be useful as a part of the feed item subject line.

I suppose, backing off a little, I would appreciate any way of finding items I enjoy more easily .... Egan Loo is correct in that there is a lot MORE news - both trivial & serious - that does mean I have to wade through more dross to find the gold.

Which feed are you following ?
animenewsnetwork.com/all/rss.xml
animenewsnetwork.com/newsroom/rss.xml
or animenewsnetwork.com/news/rss.xml ?

Yes, the feeds are 100% automated... But changing the title would have nothing to do with the script automation.

-t
nicomorr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:07 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
nicomorr wrote:

Which feed are you following ?
animenewsnetwork.com/newsroom/rss.xml
or animenewsnetwork.com/news/rss.xml ?

Yes, the feeds are 100% automated... But changing the title would have nothing to do with the script automation.

-t

the top one:
Anime News Network - Article
ANN RSS feed

Ahem - didn't realise there was more than one .... I now see there's loads animenewsnetwork.com/newsfeed/ pity one can't mashup one's own custom feed without using php.

BTW: I use a Firefox feed reading extension called 'Brief' - it sits in the status bar & just works away - very simple & effective: http://brief.mozdev.org/index.html customisable I now see also.

NMM Smile
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In other news, the Ishinomaki City Police in the northeastern prefecture of Miyagi have established "deculture" classes to pass down investigative techniques to the younger generation of police officers.

When I started reading this, I assumed they meant classes to help them un-learn investigation techniques picked up from popular culture (e.g. cop shows and mystery fiction) Smile. I.e. 'de-culture' (verb): To reverse damage done by culture.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:40 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

Why? It's one person complaining. I really don't want another line of text to scroll past on my mobile while reading feeds. That would be more annoying, truthfully.

Trying to read feeds on a WinMo postage stamp screen is bad enough. PLEASE don't alter the current system.

If this reader is that upset, there are other sources of anime news he can access without being upset over what's news, and what's not.
nicomorr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:04 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
tempest wrote:

Why? It's one person complaining. I really don't want another line of text to scroll past on my mobile while reading feeds. That would be more annoying, truthfully.

Trying to read feeds on a WinMo postage stamp screen is bad enough. PLEASE don't alter the current system.

If this reader is that upset, there are other sources of anime news he can access without being upset over what's news, and what's not.

Good point - add rather than replace - there are enough ANN RSS feeds already, one or more more won't make much difference to the feeds page. Perhaps there should be a special series of 'mobiles' or 'twits' feed versions for those with limited reading capacity & an impatient frame of reference.

NMM Twisted Evil
bravetailor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:30 pm Reply with quote
I never respect a director who doesn't use his real, full name.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:34 pm Reply with quote
nicomorr wrote:
edzieba wrote:
nicomorr wrote:
the UK Sunday papers have disappointed me also today - cheap sensationalist journalism with minimal research & total disregard for any actual facts or real opinions based on hard labour
The sky is also blue. Expecting anything factual at all in UK tabloids is going to be a disappointment any day of the week.
Tabloids! I was referring to the UK broadsheets - total dumbing down, waste of £2! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Tenchi wrote:
Terminator Salvation was pretty decent as a "companion piece", ....
It's the difference between one of the later Star Trek films (who remembers after Number 5 or so) & the new Star Trek, a genuine reboot of a wonderful franchise. In one case the bottom line is $$$$, in the other some serious film-making was achieved. For example - my sister (an intelligent Trekkie of 65) spent hours discussing with me the introduction of new characters in Star Trek & where they might be going in the next few Star Trek films .... I rest my case.

Eh, I won't be mistaking any of the Star Trek films for Herzog or Fritz Lang anytime soon. Then again, I dropped ST like a hot rock after I watched Legend of the Galactic Heroes. If you haven't seen that series and you like epic sci-fi, please do yourself the favor of checking it out. Smile

I don't get people's arguments against T4. I suspect that a lot of them wouldn't have liked the original. T3 was more of an inchoate waste than anything else, but T4 was 2 hours of ass-kicking fun.

At the end of the day, it delivered. I wanted 2 hours of machines destroying things and watching buildings explode amongst mechanized death-marches, and I most certainly got it. I really enjoyed that aspect of it, as opposed to the exploration of "what it means to be human" issues which they'd exhausted in the previous films while only hinting at how much the future sucked it.

The only beef I had was with Skynet's interior security, which seems to be running Vista on a poorly-made laptop. Laughing
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
I can see the influence. No wonder one of the Resistance's A-10s had a bishoujo pilot.

It did?? Never knew that.

Also was kinda susprised he liked SM.Was the main reason my sister and I got into anime.

It's shame Toei never released the sequel to the Super S series for the US and never even gave an explaination Why they didn't released it in the US.

Though I Was preety sure he would've said that Mamour Oshii's Ghost in the Shell was his main influence cause it's with every SciFi director.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3